danstraindepot

MOC - City With Lighting

Almost made me thought I was looking at a real world city... :blush: Can't wait to see more of this MOC!

Same when I first saw this I was like wait, where is the lego model? It looks amazing.

Wow... As another Brickstuff satisfied customer I am in awe in how much you already have lit.

One thing I want to steal found interesting :) was your Palm trees, any chance I can see a pic of how you attached the bush and frawns to the top of the tree?

I'll try to take a photo. Its certainly not difficult, just not sure how to explain it. I had seen something similar done by someone else, and I thought it made those trees seem a lot more realistic. And of course the taller ones are how we see them in California, not so much here in Florida though.

Hope you like it.

post-148231-0-99880500-1445948942_thumb.jpg

Hope you like it ??? No ...it's GREAT :classic:

Photo's like this ... it's almost hard to believe it's Lego

I just like lights in general (see my nickname :wink: ) Do you have some pics of the lights/wirering itself perhaps?

Always nice to see how it is 'connected'

http://25843311822_c7e4634626_o.jpgLEGOCaourselNight by Dan Glasure, on Flickr

I Wanted to add some updates to our layout.

In addition to the above items we have added many photos of other buildings.

Please check out the photos here:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/136566273@N03/4xxu68

Also,

One of the main features I have been working on is a large Batcave MOC.

I realize its not the best one ever created, but its about 2 months of my LEGO building time. Lights are Brickstuff.

The biggest building challenge, besides the pure size, was to try to have decent rock work, and lots of different angles going on. Not sure the photos do that justice, but I was pretty happy with the overall result.

I drew inspiration from some other MOC's I a have seen, and various incarnations of the Batcave in the comics. Also I have some minor homages to the previous LEGO Batcaves worked in, the Sewer from the first one, some of the details from the new Classic Batcave, and ..... very little I suppose from the 6860 set. I tried to go for a 'working' Batcave. Something with labs, work-spaces, etc.

The wood section is supposed to be a leftover from the original foundation which was simply built up around. And I thought it was nice to add a little different color visually.

There is a working elevator to an updated Wayne Manor that sits directly above the Batcave, I'll be adding photos of that soon.

25335414383_bc49fa3c23_o.jpgBCwlights%20by%20Dan%20Glasure,%20on%20Flickr"]http://25335414383_bc49fa3c23_o.jpgBCwlights by Dan Glasure, on Flickr[/url]

Please check out many additional photos here:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskwFFiWf

What an amazing setup and town!! Well done! What are you using for the lights? Is it a homemade system?

What are you using for the lights? Is it a homemade system?

I thought I'd share a few pics of our City Layout which I am adding lighting from BrickStuff.

;)

Wow. Your city is really nice, and the lights make it even better. Can see you've put alot of money in this. I like it alot! =)

I was also planning to implement lighting to my city.

The product from Brickstuff are very nice, but I decided to get the lights from bricklights.nl because they are in Netherlands and Brickstuff is (unfortunatly) not.

Your city layout and lighting is very very nice, keep up the good work!

Edited by Ghandidcm

Thank you all very much for the encouraging words. Lighting a large city is a tricky, and fairly expensive endeavor, but to me it is worth it.

Here are a few words of advice for all others who want to do something similar:

1. If you do any soldering make sure your solders are very well done. I had a few failed solders and months down the road I had to track them down, it was frustrating. Take the time to do it right.

2. Try to allow a way to get to the lights to replace them if something goes wrong. Because if it does, it will be in the hardest to get to places for sure!

3. Take some time to figure out how to get your modulars where you can still access the various levels. This is not easy. I am getting better at it, but a lot of the first ones I did I will have to go back and fix.

4. Make sure you have interiors, if you do not, lighting will make you want them.

5. Plan for more than you think. I would say I have used 4 times the amount of lights I had planned, and I am not done yet. I still do not regret it, as I think it takes everything to a whole new level!

I hope our layout inspires some of you to try to light your layouts as well. I look forward to seeing other photos of what you all will do.

Oh, one more thing I forgot.

Try to buy in bulk. Most of the lights out there will give a discount if you buy enough, are willing to do without the fancy packaging, etc. This will save you a lot over the course of your builds.

Hello All,

I am a new member, though I have been reading the forum for a while. I thought I'd share a few pics of our City Layout which I am adding lighting from BrickStuff. We are located in Florida, in the USA.

This is a section of our city that has the lighting mostly done, probably about 20% of the overall city. Hope you like it.

post-148231-0-99880500-1445948942_thumb.jpg

Dude, that is amazing! Took me a few seconds to realise it was a picture of your Lego city. Tired me mistook it for an actual city!