danstraindepot

MOC - City With Lighting

Hello All,

I am a new member, though I have been reading the forum for a while. I thought I'd share a few pics of our City Layout which I am adding lighting from BrickStuff. We are located in Florida, in the USA.

This is a section of our city that has the lighting mostly done, probably about 20% of the overall city. Hope you like it.

post-148231-0-99880500-1445948942_thumb.jpg

Very very pretty with all the lights, tempted to add lights to my stuff when I see how cool it looks :-)

Here are a few photos with the room lights on. Its amazing how much they help show of the interiors even during normal use.

However the downside is it makes you feel like EVERY interior needs to be done!

post-148231-0-21418600-1445951483_thumb.jpg

I Guess I have exceeded my disk space for attachments.

Sorry, new to this forum. Should I link to the photos?

Dan

VERY nice! The lights really add to the scene. The layout is top-notch, too. Looking forward to seeing more pics!

That looks impressive. I had this planned, except i would solder the smd's myself as it's way cheaper, but i still haven't worked out a good way of routing all the wires so I can easily disconnect and separate the floors and buildings for cleaning. Messy wiring upsets me. also i think i'd have to drill the lamp posts which goes against my moral beliefs.

Edited by Sven F

Welcome to Eurobricks. Quite an impressive display you've got. :classic:

I Guess I have exceeded my disk space for attachments.

Sorry, new to this forum. Should I link to the photos?

Eurobricks is not an image host. The (very) limited upload space is meant for hosting your avatar.

Just set up a Flicker Account:

The answer indeed is to use an image hosting service. Please see this tutorial for an easy way to embed images in your posts (please mind the maximum size of 1,024 x 768 for embedded images: flickr lets you select various sizes).

This is looking very beautiful indeed.

And as you mention it does seem to give interior a whole new meaning, and add to the whole of the layout.

Stunning ! :wub:

Wow! This looks fantastic! If you didn't know it was LEGO, you would think the first photo is of a real city.

Impressive - my first thought was: Did they do it with Lego or is Nonlego involved? Well ... Something like this is a bit discouraging because it's quite difficult (and expensive) to get a similar result by strictly using Lego though I guess it's possible nonetheless.

However, there seem to be some nice mocced buildings involved. :thumbup: Looking forward to seeing more of your great-looking layout - even if daylight is required for that purpose. :wink:

The nice thing about the BrickStuff product if you are not familiar with it, is it is designed in such a way where you really do not have to do any modifications to the LEGO. The wires are very thin, and very durable so that you can simply 'squish' them under bricks. The light poles are drilled out though, and in a few cases I drilled through a baseplate because I did not have easy access to fishing the wires through another way. However I have not had to modify a single piece on any of the buldings, the hardest part is 1. hiding the wires so you do not see them. 2. making the levels of the modulars so they are still accesible without having a bunch of wire showing.

Also our entire layout is designed with 'play' in mind. My boys like to access all the buildings and play games in them. (Well my oldest boy now does not do much of that).

I understand the concerns about Non-LEGO, and we are somewhat purist. NO clone bricks, and I do have some custom stickers or pad printed accessories. The lighting though seemed highly impractical with what LEGO has to offer. I think it adds so much both during the daylight time, and the nighttime scenes that I am happy we chose to proceed.

It does have its dangers. It is taking quite a lot more supplies than I originally thought. And its a slippery slope, because once you start, its tough not to complete the whole layout. And furthermore there is a lot of time involved. Its not plug and play by any means. Lots of 'reengineering' involved.

But so far its been a fun project. Thanks for all the nice words, and if anyone has questions about doing this I am happy to help in any way I can.

Wow!! This is an amazing job. The city by night is gorgeous! I'm curious to see how you settled the power grid inside the palaces.

This.

This is what I want to do with my City when it gets big enough! Fantastic work!

Oh man your city would look amazing!

Holy wow!! That is an extremely impressive layout without the lights involved!! WITH the lights it's just simply incredible!! I too had a double take at the first post thinking it was a real life photo before I looked properly...

Amazing work, I look forward to seeing more!! happy building :laugh: