Adair

And the Heavens Shall Tremble

A Free-build for the Guilds of Historica and a continuation of the story of Adira Magdeburg. Please check here: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=113129#entry2291454 and the ones before it for back-story.

22425422102_bdb37a12a6_b.jpg

The sun's rays shone down upon Ravensbrook Tavern and Inn, their late summer heat competing with the mountain breezes over the group of refugees and make-shift soldiers congregating beneath their celestial battlefields. Cumulus clouds coasted over the mountainscape, their shadows crawling over the pinnacles and valleys.

To Adira the bright atmosphere seemed almost obscene in light of the impending battle. The mood of the soldiers around her were equally annoying, as if they were expecting some kind of a party. They had been called from the field and outskirts of the town, and many did not yet fully comprehend the fact that their town was currently being overrun by Desert King troops. Those who did seemed to be in a state of disbelief, nervously making small talk with those around them.

Only the refugees fleeing the town fully realized what doom overhung them. It was a pitiful trickle, most of the refugees probably fleeing into the mountains and finding their own way to the pass leading to the Nestlands. As it were most of those taking the highway were those who did not have the endurance to take a longer rout, and thus did not have the strength or prowess to fight. Adira glanced over the few dozen soldiers assembled. It would be enough to hold the road for a short while, but they would be done for as soon as the Desert King troops made the trip around their lines.

22250969248_487260060b_b.jpg

“My Lady!”

Adira glanced up from her morose speculations to see Mardil, espire, and keeper of her family's treasury striding toward her down the path. His face was grim, and his measured pace was marred by a slight limp. After a few moments he had reached her side, his breath a little ragged from exertion. “Lady Navabi, I bring news from Havers. He is still trying to find any men or other refugees left in the town, but is hard pressed to keep himself out of the hands of the Desert King forces. He reports wholesale slaughter, and whoever is not killed is taken prisoner or misused. The Desert King is showing no mercy.”

“Sacking, raping, burning, that is the way of conquering armies.” Adira answered curtly. “This is the gamble we all took when we first defied the Desert King.” She nodded toward Mardil's leg. “You didn't get hurt, did you?”

Mardil paused, staring into Adira's eyes. “You aren't the same person you were when you first came to Estolad. Where has your compassion gone?”

Adira ignored his question, staring at him stone-faced. “You didn't answer me.”

Mardil shrugged. “An old war wound. It won't inhibit me much, but I won't be doing any fighting.” His gaze became intensive. “Adira, you can not ask these people to fight again. We have lost the battle, now it is time to save as many lives as we can and flee. You can not do this!”

“Remember who you are speaking to.” Adira turned toward the town, her eyes searching the horizon grimly. “I will not give up this town until there is not one building left and not one man left to defend it.” Her gaze moved back to Mardil's anguished face. “Since you are not in a position to fight, you will lead the non-combatants over the mountains. I place them under your charge. We will stand and fight.”

22251909289_78c09e5f95_b.jpg

Mardil cast one last pleading glance toward her, and then turned without a word toward the mountains, giving his arm to an elderly women as she made her way through the throng of soldiers. Adira watched them for a moment longer then looked up toward the sky. Clouds were gathering overhead, and she smiled grimly. The battle for Estolad will happen here, and only one force will leave.”

“They are coming! The Desert King has come!” The man shouting ground to a halt outside the inn, sweat streaming down his face despite the chilling wind. “They are just around the next curve!”

Adira closed her eyes for a moment and then opened them again. She drew her sword, and all eyes turned toward her. Slowly she scanned the faces around her. “You all have gathered here to fight for your homes, your city, your families. You have come to fight for Kaliphlin. This is where your devotion will be tested, this is where you will make a name for yourselves as either those who ran, or those who stood firm in the face of darkness. So let men compare themselves to the men of Estolad, and find themselves lacking. Let them hold us up as a standard of patriotism and endurance, and let them say that the men of Estolad stood, and died, for the freedom of Kaliphlin.”

The Inn-keeper, a large man with a flaming red beard lifted his broad-sword above his head a roared in a voice that had deafened many a tavern. “For Estolad! For Kaliphlin!”

22251879009_d8b3c77360_b.jpg

The soldiers let out a cheer that echoed through the valley. At least what they lack in experience they make up for in patriotism, Adira thought. Quickly she ordered them into a shaky battle formation, those with shields in front, archers behind, and then took her place in the second row.

Only after the soldiers had settled themselves into position did they hear the sound of marching feet on the road.

21817549243_e1402e662e_b.jpg

The Desert King soldiers filled the roadway and overflowed it, trampling the crops on either side. Their helmets glistened in the sunshine, and their blades flashed. It was even more then Adira had anticipated. The Desert King doesn't take any chances.

Then their ranks parted, like a wave parting on a rock, and a black mailed man stepped out of their midst. Only he wasn't a man. Adira stared into the eyes of the same undead warrior who had attacked her outside of Queenscross, and had just recently helped to kill her friend and loyal soldier Udgr. Hate seared it's way into her mind, almost clouding it. Desperately she fought the urge to charge forward now and end this creature's life, once and for all. She knew it would destroy their chance to successfully defend the street, but suddenly the battle seemed to fade in significance.

Then he saw her. His sword left his sheath, and rose above his head. For a long moment his eyes stared into hers, taunting her. Then his sword fell and all hell broke loose.

22449623581_47654aa8f8_b.jpg

The surge of Desert King troops almost broke through the Estoladim ranks in it's first charge. The front soldiers faltered for a moment, but then with a war-cry from the Inn-keeper they regained their resolve, striking out ferociously into the Desert King horde.

Adira moved toward the center of the road, trying to be visible and present for her men. A field commander of a trained army could afford to direct from the rear, but what the men of the mountains needed most was a leader who fought with them. Adira pushed her way into the front of the line and struck down a large spearman as he thrust toward a fallen towns-man. The smell of blood assailed her nostrils, and dust caked on the roof of her mouth. The striking of blades on shields crashed in around her, pierced by the cries of the fallen.

Then and arrow whistled past her head, clattering off the shield of the man behind her. Then arrows were fallen all around her, clattering off armor, and sometimes striking home. The towns-men raised their shields above their head, and many were cut down by the advancing soldiers.

22250991928_13b3193845_b.jpg

Then a cry came from the back of their ranks as an archer pointed toward the back of the Inn then turned and started to run. Adira's heart sank. So they saw. They called our bluff.

The line broke in chaos. Men were throwing down their weapons and running, and the men standing next to them were being cut down from behind. The inn-keeper bellowed his challenge at the entrance to his tavern only to be cut down from behind.

It's over. The thought crossed Adira's mind but she refused to believe it. No, we can still rally! We can defend the road at a higher point, somewhere we can not be outflanked! But already she knew it could not be. There was no option left but to die here, by the blades of their oppressors, fighting for the freedom of Kaliphlin.

A sword flew towards her. For a fraction of a moment she considered letting it hit it's mark. But then her sword was up, deflecting the blow. Now she was backing up and a voice, her own and yet not her own, was calling for a retreat. Her legs were carrying her back towards the mountains, along with her men.

She would survive. But yet in her soul she was already dead.

To be continued...

22360059552_4e58e67922_b.jpg

The build. This build took me more then two months to complete (thus explaining my absence, hopefully), and required three Bricklink orders. Tudor houses are not a specialty of mine, and I had to redo the white-wash four times. The trees were a last minute add-on, and yes, I know they look horrible.

22383990081_d6b52fdf56_b.jpg

The back. I was running out of pieces about now, so the landscape isn't quite as up to par as in the front, but I think it was worth it. I was originally intending to have water on this side (thus the dock), but didn't end up doing it (lack of pieces).

21816046124_6a4accda24_b.jpg

The fletcher. Lame (and apparently deaf, if he didn't hear all the comotion on the other side of the Inn), he was called into service plying his trade for the town's archers. Probably still grumbling about how he can't be expected to make crossbow bolts without any experience.

22251064778_aca3b20847_b.jpg

The Inn's one remaining dairy cow. They used to have many, but all the others were used up in the siege. This one probably won't survive the siege either, unless some remaining peasant decides to, uh, liberate it from the desert King troops.

And I guess that's it! Thank you all for your patience, and comments!

Soli Deo Gloria & Sola Gracia!

Very nice build as always Adair, I really like your irregular borders and great work with the house as well! I know what you mean about running out of landscape pieces... I often think that you can tell which part of an MOC I built first just because the landscape in that section looks better!

This is a outstanding build :wub: I really like the layout of the building, and color choices. The only change I might suggest, would be to raise the chimney another brick or two.

The landscape is equally impressive with great shape and texture :thumbup: Very interesting story as usual too :classic:

Nice build, Adair!

The landscape is great, and that is a well-executed design for a half-timber house! The build would look interesting with water in back, but I understand if you did not have the pieces. The house looks great even without the water! The roof, stone wall portion, and door are also all well done!

Aidar, that's the best build i've ever seen! I just love it!

Wow, thanks Titus!

Very nice build as always Adair, I really like your irregular borders and great work with the house as well! I know what you mean about running out of landscape pieces... I often think that you can tell which part of an MOC I built first just because the landscape in that section looks better!

Exactly! That's actually why I added the lighter tan (though I like it now).

This is a outstanding build :wub: I really like the layout of the building, and color choices. The only change I might suggest, would be to raise the chimney another brick or two.

The landscape is equally impressive with great shape and texture :thumbup: Very interesting story as usual too :classic:

Thank you very much, Isaac! Very glad you liked it!

Yeah, the Chimney probably could have been higher... thanks for that critique!

Beautiful build- that house is great!

Thank you, Vladivus!

Nice build, Adair!

The landscape is great, and that is a well-executed design for a half-timber house! The build would look interesting with water in back, but I understand if you did not have the pieces. The house looks great even without the water! The roof, stone wall portion, and door are also all well done!

Thank you, Slegengr! Yeah, I'm going to try to stock up on water pieces for next time.

Your color blending is excellent as always. Beautiful house as well.

Thank you, Blufiji! Very glad you like it!

I love the tavern! It reminds me of wandering around the wilderness in Oblivion (ES).

Tavern and landscape look amazing!

The minifigs are also very nicely placed, battle looks lively!

I love the tavern! It reminds me of wandering around the wilderness in Oblivion (ES).

Thank you! I've played that game, it's pretty awesome. :classic:

Tavern and landscape look amazing!

The minifigs are also very nicely placed, battle looks lively!

Thank you, Puvel! Glad you like it!

I think that the trees are quite appropriate for where they are, by a tavern on a major road. It is obvious to me that the people would keep those trees manicured.

The story is engaging, if disheartening for the resistance movement. Has the visitation of Minister Prndrn been pushed back in the story?

Great structure, great landscaping, great battle posing with the figs, great photography.

I've got nothing to complain about! :laugh:

I think that the trees are quite appropriate for where they are, by a tavern on a major road. It is obvious to me that the people would keep those trees manicured.

The story is engaging, if disheartening for the resistance movement. Has the visitation of Minister Prndrn been pushed back in the story?

Thank you, Gedren! Actually, I was planning to have that take place in the Nestlands, so it will come directly after my next build. :) Remember that this took place about two months ago.

This build looks even better in the GoH setting! Great continuation of the story, I'm looking forward to more!

Thank you, Milo! Glad you like it!

Great structure, great landscaping, great battle posing with the figs, great photography.

I've got nothing to complain about! :laugh:

Wow, thanks mrcp6d!

nice build.......:p

Wow, really long comment this time! Or maybe it just has more dots... :P Thanks Andrew!

Nicely done with the building. I really like the landscaping and the rock work.

Thank you, Sarah! Very glad you like it!

As always an impressive build, Adair - you are really mastering this low key, dramatic colourscheme, which makes your builds immediately recogniseable! :thumbup:

For this brilliant build, I have only one comment: I am not sure about the door with the printed tiles. With everything having brickbuilt texture, it looks somewhat out of place.

The story is very glum and dramatic, although I am not sure I am liking what war and power is doing to Adira - she seems harsher and more cynical for each instalment! :look: I only hope she will not herself turn into the very mirror of the enemy she is fighting against.... :sceptic:

Great writing! :thumbup:

As always an impressive build, Adair - you are really mastering this low key, dramatic colourscheme, which makes your builds immediately recogniseable! :thumbup:

For this brilliant build, I have only one comment: I am not sure about the door with the printed tiles. With everything having brickbuilt texture, it looks somewhat out of place.

The story is very glum and dramatic, although I am not sure I am liking what war and power is doing to Adira - she seems harsher and more cynical for each instalment! :look: I only hope she will not herself turn into the very mirror of the enemy she is fighting against.... :sceptic:

Great writing! :thumbup:

The second part of that comment is by far the more encouraging one, which is saying something. :grin: Thanks a ton, Bregir!

Oh, and I think the door problem can now be remedied in later builds, do to a new piece surplus of mine. :wink: Thanks for the suggestion!

Your builds are always awesome and this one is no exception. The cottage all around looks pretty sweet, and I love the ground border SNOT to studs up transition. I'm definitely going to have to try that :)

Your builds are always awesome and this one is no exception. The cottage all around looks pretty sweet, and I love the ground border SNOT to studs up transition. I'm definitely going to have to try that :)

Thank you, Robin! Very glad you like it!

And yes, I would suggest that technique. :classic:

Awesome build Adair! That landscape is just fantastic and the house also looks great! My only criticism is that some of the pictures are very dark, in particular the 5th one down.