lcvisser

[TC8] [WIP] Nameless trailer crane

Hi all,

I really wanted to participate in TC8 (actually, also TC7), but time is not on my side. As an attempt to make me work harder, I present here my work in progress. Hopefully I can get some constructive feedback that I can incorporate in the few hours I have left this week.

I actually was working on a small-scale front axle with Ackerman geometry and thinking about what to build around it, when this contest was announced. I then got inspired by the Grove trailer crane that aminnich was also used as source for his entry.

Anyway, I present here:

• A three-axle trailer
  • X-shape outriggers
  • 3-part extendable boom
  • A tractor to pull it

As you can see in the crappy photo's below, I still have a lot of work to do:

• Cabin for the truck
  • Crane upper structure
  • Figure something out to extend the wire when extending the boom (wish-list item)
  • Finish the trailer front part
  • Make better photo's :classic: (with so little time left I just grabbed my phone to shoot some quick shots)

The photo's are cropped by Bricksafe and I don't know how to fix that. On the originals you might be able to see more details, like the full boom.

Comments welcome. :classic:

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

Im glad I could be somewhat inspiring, haha. Nice WIP build!! I like the use of the pneumatics for a smaller build, personally i think it fits better.

I also like the X outriggers, nice change from the original crane.

I hope you have better success on your model than I am on mine!!

Looking good, especially the X outriggers. I'm not sure if the air cylinders at the end of the outriggers will do the job, as the will leak with time and be overcome by the weight. You may have to pump up their pressure once in a while.

I managed to finished the trailer... Tractor not included then :classic:

Photo's are done, just waiting for the battery of the camera to recharge so I can shoot the movie (forgot to charge it before... :sceptic: )

800x600.jpg

I'm reasonably happy with it... Technically it doesn't work as smooth as I wanted too, but it works. The connection between the outriggers and the trailer is a bit too weak, so they can't lift the trailer.

The feature that unwinds the cable when extending the boom works good as well, except that I can't fit the right gear ratios: now the spool winds/unwinds too fast, so about halfway you still need to give a bit more cable... :angry: Oh well, learn for the next time :classic:

Edited by Ludo Visser

I got 33 points, which is about 33 more than I expected :sweet: Many thanks for the votes! :thumbup:

I am, however, also curious to know what I should improve. As mentioned, I was reasonable happy with the technical part, but maybe it should be improved? Or is it mostly lacking good looks? I'm from the studded era, and this being my first studless build (mostly), it was a challenge.

Any feedback is very much appreciated :classic:

800x600.jpg

I am, however, also curious to know what I should improve.

I think it's good that you ask the question. However, it's hard to answer. Thing is, your crane is actually pretty cool. But there were so many more great entries than we could vote fore, so that's why I think you ended with not very many votes. You also might have gotten few votes because it's only the trailer, and the carrier didn't make it in time. Also, the very messy WIP pictures may leave a bad first impression?

What I like about your crane is the originality, and the mix between studded and studless. I also like the X-shaped outriggers.

As for what to improve, there's actually only one thing that I don't really like and that's how the mounting point of the pneumatic cylinders is almost vertically below the mounting point of the boom, which looks kind of weird. With this setup, the mechanical advantage of the cylinders decreases as the boom raises. Which makes perfect sense for a Lego build, but isn't what happens in real life cranes.

For the rest, maybe the quite wide outriggers might be a problem. You see that the actual frame is very thin, because the outriggers take away 4 studs of width on each side. This is due to the pneumatics, but maybe you could make them 3 wide in future versions.

Thanks for the encouragements :classic:

I think it's good that you ask the question. However, it's hard to answer. Thing is, your crane is actually pretty cool. But there were so many more great entries than we could vote fore, so that's why I think you ended with not very many votes. You also might have gotten few votes because it's only the trailer, and the carrier didn't make it in time. Also, the very messy WIP pictures may leave a bad first impression?

I aimed a bit too high, I guess. I liked the truck, but really no time to finished it. The WIP pictures are indeed messy: I shot and posted them only to push myself to finish. I didn't feel like taking the time to set up for good photos. Also, the "Photo Booth" (read: kitchen) was not available at the time either :wink: But I can see that it was not a good first impression.

What I like about your crane is the originality, and the mix between studded and studless. I also like the X-shaped outriggers.

As for what to improve, there's actually only one thing that I don't really like and that's how the mounting point of the pneumatic cylinders is almost vertically below the mounting point of the boom, which looks kind of weird. With this setup, the mechanical advantage of the cylinders decreases as the boom raises. Which makes perfect sense for a Lego build, but isn't what happens in real life cranes.

For the rest, maybe the quite wide outriggers might be a problem. You see that the actual frame is very thin, because the outriggers take away 4 studs of width on each side. This is due to the pneumatics, but maybe you could make them 3 wide in future versions.

The mounting of the cylinders was a struggle, because I couldn't find a good point on the boom to connect to. The ideal point was on the connection between two panels, which didn't work out (too weak). Next time I will first design the upper structure and then the boom to go with it, instead of the other way around as I did now.

As for the frame: it is now indeed 4 studs for the frame and 4 studs for each outrigger. The frame is indeed very narrow and it was a real struggle to get all the functionality inside. I'm not sure how to make the outriggers 3 wide with the old pneumatic cylinders... I think I should have done a manual function instead of the pneumatic: it would have made the outriggers less bulky and less stuff to squeeze in the trailer itself. (Fun fact: the outriggers were first suppose to be of the traditional kind, but they were too bulky for that, so I decided to put them in the X-configuration).

I think the main lesson here is that next time I should try to be less ambitious, meaning trying to not fit as many functions as possible inside, but focus on doing a few functions right :grin: