Vader

New City Set Pics for 2008

Apparently the new police station is built like the recent firestation which is a good thing, but who knows, that police truck does have good parts atleast. :-)

Well, I found the firestation a better design. the policestation is a bit more office to the right and a cellblock to the left with a gap between it. Atleast it has a oldskool scrolldoor.

realistic?

lego isnt supposed to be realistic!

its supposed to show us the world through its eyes.

its not the real world..

trains are not so small..

buildings have back walls

and a cup isnt as big as my torso..

this isnt about realism

it has never been and never will be..

hope the rest of the line is better..

LOL!

Well I've certainly never seen a cup as big as my chest nor have I seen big fingers all of the sudden come out of the sky to pick up a guy and play with him but I think we could be a bit more tolerant to those few proportion mistakes TLC makes. After all, they do still provide us with the toys of the century. :-D

Anyway, my opinion on the plane is

*Biep* what a f*** *Biep* I mean com'on, how could those *BIEEEEEEPP!* such dumb *Bieeeep* What was wrong with them? I'll have them all *Biep*

But seriously now :-P , the plane is crap, no doubt on my mind about that, how can you take a jet airliner hull and use it for a waterplane? Looks like a big, fat handicapped flying thing which just nearly passed the definition 'aircraft' to me.

But since it is not yet known whether this the definite model, I will wait passing my final judgement, wait, didn't I just jjudge the plane? :-/

Ah well.

Thank you so much *vader* for the pics. I just *wub* the look of the plane. I definitly can see a MOC of a C-130 cargo plane in this set. I can't wait for 2008!! *sweet*

7743.jpg

Forgive me if this has already been pointed out, but I see handcuffs!! *wub*

I dont see any cuffs. Lego get some new police minifigs! those current ones are terible, they dont even look like real police officers like the US ones anyways. and that better not be the police station.

I dont see any cuffs. Lego get some new police minifigs! those current ones are terible, they dont even look like real police officers like the US ones anyways. and that better not be the police station.

I see handcuffs on the prisoner. Maybe I'm crazy *wacko*

I see handcuffs on the prisoner. Maybe I'm crazy *wacko*

You are crazy...but I see them too. Curses, you've infected me with your craziness... *wacko*

Dr. S.

You are crazy...but I see them too. Curses, you've infected me with your craziness... *wacko*

Dr. S.

It must be spreading, I see them too! *wacko* I may just get this set for those handcuffs alone, and for peices.

TTFN! >:-)

the handcuffs are just the arm off a droid

its not a new piece

:'-( :'-( , never mind, I retract my statement about possibly buying this set, though I am glad to see some members liking these, probably the more optimistic ones, which makes me happy to know that they will sell still ;-)

Forgive me if this has already been pointed out, but I see handcuffs!! *wub*
im surprised LEGO didn't reuse the batman handcuffs.

- BM

aren't these white Batman cuffs ? a droid arm would not fit on a minifig arm....
im not sure if a droid arm would work or not... but it definitely doesn't look like the batman cuffs. there seems to be an underside to the cuff around the bottom of the minifig hands.

- BM

realistic?

lego isnt supposed to be realistic!

its supposed to show us the world through its eyes.

its not the real world..

trains are not so small..

buildings have back walls

and a cup isnt as big as my torso..

this isnt about realism

it has never been and never will be..

the reason i dont like this its because it looks like playmobil

and while i find playmo to be great i dont like it that much to collect it

and playmo goes deep into realism with many details and features of the real world..

but lego never went so far before...

they did it last year with the planes

and alhough realism is ok for a toy like playmo

lego is about the brick

and connected bricks can never look so realistic..

when lego tried to achieve the realism of playmo ended up with a huge plane hull that most of us hate..

and this is what a lego modern sea plane should look like

7214-1.jpg

hope the rest of the line is better..

Wow. Your statment about realisim couldn't be farther from the truth. Maybe you don't want realisim, but most people do. Maybe you want a passenger plane the size of a standard car, but i want porportions. No,i don't expect all there sets to be exactly the way i would see them in every day life, but i'd like to be able to reconize it. Why do you think we have the ferrari line, and all those starwars USC sets? Those are made to be as real as possible cause thats what people want. Yes i realize that they don't use 3 piece hulls like the passenger planes, but there goal is still realisim. This is one of the main reason your seeing 8 wide trucks, and even 5 wide cars. So in esense, yes it is about realisim. If thats the line lego is going for, than i'm all for it.

back to the plane. I don't have it myself, but my nephew does. He loves it. Little kids love the fact thats its big and sturdy (i know, i built it for him). I think alot of people here fail to realize that yes, we as AFOL contribute alot to the hobby, but there are many children out there that they still are aiming at as well. At age 10 i would have much prefered this size plane vs. the 4 wides of my yester years.

Wow. Your statment about realisim couldn't be farther from the truth. Maybe you don't want realisim, but most people do. Maybe you want a passenger plane the size of a standard car, but i want porportions. No,i don't expect all there sets to be exactly the way i would see them in every day life, but i'd like to be able to ...are many children out there that they still are aiming at as well. At age 10 i would have much prefered this size plane vs. the 4 wides of my yester years.

Modular vs. Classic

six wide vs. four wide

i wouldn't be so sure that most people want realism. Check out those two discussions. Everyone has their own opinion and neither one is necessarily wrong. We know that mini-figs are not scaled to humans...after all an apple is not the size of our head and cars aren't double the size of an average human waist, so true realism is somewhat impossible, but I am one of those who agrees more with 5150 and strives for as much realism as possible. But, it's an age old debate and a fun one! Just keep in mind that everyone's entitled to their own opinion. And...that's only my opinion :-$

Modular vs. Classic

six wide vs. four wide

i wouldn't be so sure that most people want realism. Check out those two discussions. Everyone has their own opinion and neither one is necessarily wrong. We know that mini-figs are not scaled to humans...after all an apple is not the size of our head and cars aren't double the size of an average human waist, so true realism is somewhat impossible, but I am one of those who agrees more with 5150 and strives for as much realism as possible. But, it's an age old debate and a fun one! Just keep in mind that everyone's entitled to their own opinion. And...that's only my opinion :-$

Well my opinion on this is rather simple :-$

I think that City should be realistic, but not overly so as to avoid 16-wide planes and 8-wide cars.

Other themes like adventurers aren't geared around realism nearly as much, and as such are free from its constraints and don't matter to me if they are exagerated or miniature.

But as Hinckley above me stated, its all a matter of opinion, and everyone is entitled to one ;-)

The City "Post" Sets of 08 looks amazing. They looks like the sets in the 90th. Has anyone the prices of the Sets?

Modular vs. Classic

six wide vs. four wide

Well, maybe i should have been a bit more clear. I'm not looking for exact scale replicas, but i like the fact that the size of the new planes and trucks are more reflective of what you would see in real life. 4 wide planes just don't do it for me. I realize that the mini fig is not proprtioned correctly. I have no problem with that, but i like to have my trucks to be able to transport more than one minifig and a but load of cargo!! I guess i should have said that phoinx's opinion was thw wrong one, but i don't feel that lego is soley "just about the brick". Being able to create somthing that is reconizable as somthing in real life is what i like best!

I guess i should have said that phoinx's opinion was thw wrong one

wrong for who?

there is no right or wrong

as hinckley pointed out its about opinions and taste

Well, maybe i should have been a bit more clear. I'm not looking for exact scale replicas, but i like the fact that the size of the new planes and trucks are more reflective of what you would see in real life. 4 wide planes just don't do it for me. I realize that the mini fig is not proprtioned correctly. I have no problem with that, but i like to have my trucks to be able to transport more than one minifig and a but load of cargo!!

And with that opinion I agree 100% ;-) Cars are not as wide as planes!! And trucks should be able to haul and have a bed in the cab, amen brother! *sweet* *y*

I guess i should have said that phoinx's opinion was thw wrong one, but i don't feel that lego is soley "just about the brick".

:-D :-D :-D Perhaps this was a Freudian misspell? I think (hope) you meant *shouldn't... :-P

:-D :-D :-D Perhaps this was a Freudian misspell? I think (hope) you meant *shouldn't... :-P

:-D :-D LOL I guess you are right hinckley!! (and i ment right NOT wrong)

Edited by phoinix

Sorry about that. I meant ot say that i SHOULDN'T have said that phonix's opinion was wrong. Everyone is entiled to there opinions. Thanks for pointing that out Hinckely!

Phonix, sorry about that buddy! *wub*

the handcuffs are just the arm off a droid

its not a new piece

They are new handcuffs, as evidenced by the new police station. They're like the batman 'cuffs, but the chain is a lot shorter, like normal handcuffs. They're white in the surveillance truck set, but that's most likely prelim pics. The 'cuffs in the police station are silver.

~Peace

Edited by iamded

The argument about realism and 4 wide versus x # wide studs I think should be centered around what kind of use we are looking for. If creators and collectors want a two person seater, then the only option is at least a six wide studded plane/car/truck.

That being said, Lego hasn't had any plans lately at least to incorporate these two person designs so we're all stuck with six wide vehicles that don't function as they should. If i have a six wide vehicle that doesn't function to its full capacity, I prefer 4 wide with a reduced price and rather cute mini look. If I can stuff two people in the front, hey let's bring on the 6 wide because with the price it also serves its means.

I think we are forgetting that the most important concept here is form and function. All these debates regarding x # of stud lengths has everyone's input about form and function based upon their own preferences. My theory is based upon how they sold the '07 Castle, the designers said that they wanted to make it BIG and IMPOSING in order to grab children's attention. So, we have bigger trucks....so big they can barely fit the road plates sold for them.

The push is towards grabbing attention even if it may destroy LEGO's age old concept of having elements that should still function fifty years in the future. Now that we have these bigger vehicles, that dream they touted may be hindered a bit..... we have form yes, they're beautiful items, but the function may be lacking, and backwards compatibility is slowing becoming an issue. :-$ Just look around at some of the complaints about huge trucks unable to ride safely on those two lane roads now.

Edited by legobear