Sign in to follow this  
quilkin

Is there a 3x3 window ?

Hello, I've just started trying to build a house (using LDD to start with) after a few years of technic play. I'm actually trying to replicate my own house, using 4x6 doors as a scaling base. But many of my windows need to be 3x3, and I can't find anything to use - 2x2,2x3,4x4 are all available. Is there a solution or will I have to accept windows too small or too big?

after a quick search on the web there are indeed no 3x3 windows.

Hey Ron, Thanks for sharing that guide. I hadnt seen that before. Will definitely help with more advanced builds I'd like to make.

I have seen a train related building (I think it was a train station) with possibly 3 wide windows, but I could not find it now. It was built using transparent plates placed horizontally. Something like this: https://www.flickr.c...ega/7529155978/.

You can also do it the easy way and build the wall in 2 bricks deep, having the windows on the inner layer, and build the opening on the outer layer 3 wide.

Edit: The train forum are underestimated on their house building skills. I've seen a lot of immensely impressive train related buildings. I wish they could be listed in the town forum as well, or that there was an index of all buildings independent of theme.

Edited by Sir Stig

Thanks, all, for suggestions. I had thought about a SNOT technique, but 3x3 is the same even on it's side! The idea of using a thicker wall, with the outer hiding part of the window, is interesting but then the frame wouldn't show and it would look unrealistic - unless I am misunderstanding?

Transparent clear bricks could clearly make a window of virtually any size but would show all the inner studs, joins etc.- not very see-through!

Also, I have moved on now to designing the kitchen. I'm surprised that there only seems to be one size of cupboard - 2x3x2 (apart from some very ancient 2x3x4 - yellow only - and 4x4x4). I would have thought that the continuing success of the modular building series would have led to some new parts of this type.

"Transparent clear bricks could clearly make a window of virtually any size but would show all the inner studs, joins etc.- not very see-through!"

yep :-/

But frankly, cause you choose 3x3, i dont really see another option for you. Still, i think this particular brick could help you out a big deal here! It has no inner studs, and with 2 bricks height, you are close to 3 studs. Of course you could use a tranparent panel instead depending on pricing. But the brick has no baseplate like the panel, so its more elegant maybe.

I attach 2 window options for you as LDD files (lfx). I think, the right one is the easiest to do for perfect 3x3.

windows.lxf

Edited by Ron Dayes

Thanks, Ron, some nice frames there. When I said 3x3 I was meaning 3 studs wide and 3 bricks high (as per Lego sizing of windows & doors) so a 2-brick-high widow still doesm't look correct.

I didn't realy 'choose' 3x3, but in my (real) house there are various sizes of window; some scale pretty well to Lego windows but others look distinctly wrong because tehre;s no near math to the sizing.

ok, i thought you meant 3x3 square by studs. i edited the file again. the olive one is exactly 3studs x 3bricks height.

The other ones are 3 studs x 3,33 bricks height (so smaller than 4x4 wide or whatever window frames there is). These can have nice framing options and you can also vary sizes using this SNOT work.

If you really want to be realistic, you gotta measure them all around your house^^

Or, take the biggest window and decide which ones are same size, smaller and even smaller than that. Then you just pick your window design according to your layout.

Hope it helps.

windows 2.lxf

Thanks again, Ron. Some food for thought there, including some parts I didn't know were available in trans-clear. I'll start experimenting and I'm sure I can come up with a solution.

The lack of windows in various sizes is one of the major frustrations in building any kind of realistic building in Lego. I would love to see some 1 stud and 3 stud wide windows in modern frames, but I guess with every new window they add, they have to have a corresponding glass part, so each one requires two new parts.