Sign in to follow this  
xtremeteamuk

Fish tank lego

Hey guys,

Just wondering if there is anything advised to maybe cover lego in if your going to put them into a fish tank?

I've seen lots of photos of lego in tanks but...well I just don't wanna kill my nephews fish lol

Its just be minifigure..

Giving the product needs to meet child toy regulations, and they could potentially put them into their mouths, I reckon you should be good in a fish tank.

Some of those early 1950's bricks.......I'm not so sure what chemicals may have been in the plastics/ABS/celulite they were made from....

Edited by paul_delahaye

I had Halo MegaBloks in a tank. Just note you will have to clean them from time to time when they get covered with algae or fish waste.

I would be more worried about possible coatings added affecting the fish more than the Lego bricks themselves. I don't know about toxicity of Lego, but in regards to the 'it's safe enough for kids to put in their mouths, so it should be safe for fish' argument- keep in mind most kids are not keeping bricks in their mouths for months at a time. I'm guessing over a long time water may leach chemicals from the bricks, as normal tap water is slightly acidic. I doubt a minifigure or two will be an issue unless the tank is super tiny. Your bricks will probably end up smelling like algae over time as well, so don't put anything irreplaceable in the tank. This blog post (and a bunch of other aquarium websites) detailing their Lego aquarium describes LEGO as a safe addition, though I personally would not add it to aquariums with very expensive or fragile fish, as a precaution.

A lot of Lego floats, so you'll need to anchor it down, otherwise your minifig is going to injure the fish. Also, make sure that any small bricks have very good clutch and are securely attached to other bricks, as some fish like to nibble at their surroundings. You wouldn't want a fish to accidentally swallow a stud.

ABS plastic is very stable. It can be dangerous if you heat it to melting. The fumes can be carcinogenic. If you change your tank water regularly, it shouldn't be a problem. The ammonia from fish waste and chlorine in tap water are more dangerous to fish.

I had a Lego ship sunk in my fish's tank for years. No harm to the fish from the Lego. Had to seriously scrub the Lego afterwards though.

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Cheers guys you've all been really helpful. Love this forum... not a single reply taking the mickey or calling me stupid for asking or saying just to Google it! like you get on other forums (not lego related ones)..good friendly advise.

It's just fresh water, at a guess the tank is probably 60cm x 40 x 40. I think there is only 3 fish in it. as my nephew is only 3 he won't really care too much about what goes in the tank, but the family know my love for lego. They will probably be suprised I want to put one of my minifigures in there! Little do they know I brought a spare haha

Obviously Mr deep sea diver won't stand very well so was going to leave the Base on and cover that with the stones from the tank.

Again thanks for all the advise.

Generally thats what the LEGO community is all about :classic:

Please when you are finished with the fish tank post some pictures for all of us. That would be awesome ! :laugh:

Oh yeah I don't doubt that :thumbup:

YEAH I'll Def take sosomsome photos, not down there till next weekend now so will do it then.

Well he is in the tank

Here's your pic deeplinked to save folks some clicks.

Lovely, even though its just one minifig its worth it all. If i had an aquarium i would have done exactly the same.

Hope you are glad with the result as well. :classic:

Edited by KlodsBrik

Cheers dr_spock

That's why we aimed the harpoon gun into the floor.

It's not my tank, I brought the minifig for my nearly 3yr old nephew.. But when I get fish I will def be adding lego to it.