Adair

PTV 2015 Large: Death on a Salt Breaze

22422392651_700fbfa5b8_c.jpg

The screeching of a Seagulls echoed noisily through the uncanny silence surrounding a solitary tavern, causing a few of the men standing on the road to jump in fright. One of the men, a uniformed marine wearing a wide-brimmed hat smiled sardonically. “A fine lot of soldiers you all make.”

22384918952_8d64bc0ea9_c.jpg

None of the men responded. Most of them were dressed in civilian garb, and there were few that did not show some sign of agitation.

“Is it true Captain Mortimer makes his victims cut off their own fingers then eat them?” a mustached cloth merchant asked.

“Quiet!” An elderly man holding a torch shaded his eyes, staring down the road. “I thought I heard something.”

They all heard it now. The thud of boots on the road, the coarse laughter. The very air seemed to smell saltier. There could be no mistaking that noise.

21775341514_5171a991cb_c.jpg

Then there they were. roguish a band of pirates as could be found in the northern seas. Their leader, a red bearded man in a bicorn hat, smiled cruelly at them, eyeing their force with contempt.

The marine's hands started to sweat despite himself. His words came out in a hiss. “Fire the cannon.”

The elderly man jerked out of his frozen state and raised the torch over the cannon's fuse.

He was too slow. Before the marine's eye could register what had happened the lead pirate was pointing a pistol at the old man and there was a report. The man fell dead, blood pouring from a wound in the direct center of his forehead.

And then the pirates were upon them. The marine lifted his carbine just in time to block a blow from the lead pirate only to feel fire and ice in his side. One of the peasants was down and the others were running. The marine's compatriot, a big fellow with a pike, had skewered one of the pirates, but had his pike knocked out of his hand.

Then the marine felt the lead pirate's blade enter his abdomen and he knew it was over. For a moment he stared at the blade in his chest, then he was on the ground, choking on blood. This was it. He hoped he died before they could torture him.

22372096246_2277d4b036_c.jpg

The pikeman dove for his pike only to find one of the pirate's pistols in his face. He moved back only to find the inn wall behind him. His breathing was ragged, and not from over-exertion.

Captain Mortimer smiled his cruel smile again. “What made you think you could beat me, royal dog?”

The pikeman spit. “We will never stop trying to beat you.”

Mortimer stared at him for a moment, then shrugged. “Off with his fingers.”

22360059552_4e58e67922_c.jpg

The build. I actually started building this over two months ago, and put three Bricklink orders into it, so you could call it a masterpiece of mine.

I tried to combine some of the cleaner/smoother styles on Eurobricks with the more textured style of Mocpages and Flickr, hopefully to favorable results. Also, off the record, but this is literally the first build I have posted in the online community in which I have used yellow heads.

22383990081_d6b52fdf56_c.jpg

The back.

So I guess that's it. There's looking to be some pretty tough competition for this contest, and I'm honored to have participated! Good luck to all the contestants!

~Adair

Wow cool story and fantastic build! I really like the building, great design and the use of yellow minifigs (although I am sure flesh would have been good too)

Awesome, Joseph! I Your patience (or procrastination) has really paid off! As I said on Flickr, the trees look a little bit strange, but the landscape is way beyond my capabilities at the moment. Another tiny nitpick. It doesn't really look like it would be by water. I mean it doesn't really look like it's on a coast. Anyway, nice build again, and good luck with the ABS Challenge!

Wow cool story and fantastic build! I really like the building, great design and the use of yellow minifigs (although I am sure flesh would have been good too)

Thank you, BrickOn! Glad you like it!

Awesome build, Adair!

Thanks, Graham!

Very nice build! Love that story that goes with it.

Thanks! Yes, this story is mostly narrative (though I dived into omniscient POV pretty often. pirate_sceptic.gif ), unlike my GoH story, but I'm glad it turned out well!

Awesome, Joseph! I Your patience (or procrastination) has really paid off! As I said on Flickr, the trees look a little bit strange, but the landscape is way beyond my capabilities at the moment. Another tiny nitpick. It doesn't really look like it would be by water. I mean it doesn't really look like it's on a coast. Anyway, nice build again, and good luck with the ABS Challenge!

Thank you, Noel! Yes, I still don't like the trees, and I here you on the coastal thing. This one was meant to be slightly inland, but only about a kilometer so.

BTW, who's Joseph? default_tong.gif

:P I'm just curious about the inclusion of the dock.

Oh yeah... completely forgot about that. default_wall.gif Disregard my previous comment. ugh.gif

Amazing.I like how you build the terrain,and minifigures are great,scene too.:)

That house and base are excellent. Very well built. Great colours used too. I must try that method for the base sometime if I can figure it out.

The trees are a little odd. I haven't mastered trees either, I've done them twice and can't get them to look right.

Anyway love it. Good luck in the comp.

Thank you, Thor! Glad you like it/them!

Great build, landscape and house are fantastic.

Thanks, Captain!

That house and base are excellent. Very well built. Great colours used too. I must try that method for the base sometime if I can figure it out.

The trees are a little odd. I haven't mastered trees either, I've done them twice and can't get them to look right.

Anyway love it. Good luck in the comp.

Thank you, Paddy! Yes, I merely built off of the 2 stud high design for bases to varying degrees with the rock-work. pirate_classic.gif I do agree on the trees, though I haven't been able to come up with an alternative method yet.

This is a great looking building. :thumbup:

Your minifigs look awesome. :pir-wub:

I'll have to use castle figs more often. Thanks for the idea.

Beautiful build Adair. Really great ground, and I really like the house as well.

Thank you, Milo!

This is a great looking building. :thumbup:

Your minifigs look awesome. :pir-wub:

I'll have to use castle figs more often. Thanks for the idea.

Thank you, and sure thing!

As for me, I don't have as much of a choice. pirate_wink.gif

Your building technique is really worth your sleepless nights. The tavern looks great.

Thank you, Staslegomaster! Very glad you like it!

Adair, you have mastered some amazing techniques. The shape of this entire build is fantastic + you could not have gotten the color scheme more right!

Adair, you have mastered some amazing techniques. The shape of this entire build is fantastic + you could not have gotten the color scheme more right!

Wow, Kinggregus, thank you! That is some very high praise, and I shall try to live up to it!

Good story-telling as usual, and nice job on the build too. The building looks fantastic and fits perfectly with that trademarked base technique of yours. It's all very well textured without being overdone. I like your assortment of non-Pirates minifigs too. I've wanted to do that same type of thing for more variety but I've always wondered how well it would be accepted. The pirate captain's torso looked clownish when I first saw it in the official set but it looks great on him; I'll have to try something similar with my two. Oh, and one more thing - yellow is great! Sure, the flesh colors are nice but good ol' classic yellow still looks fine. Good work.

Good story-telling as usual, and nice job on the build too. The building looks fantastic and fits perfectly with that trademarked base technique of yours. It's all very well textured without being overdone. I like your assortment of non-Pirates minifigs too. I've wanted to do that same type of thing for more variety but I've always wondered how well it would be accepted. The pirate captain's torso looked clownish when I first saw it in the official set but it looks great on him; I'll have to try something similar with my two. Oh, and one more thing - yellow is great! Sure, the flesh colors are nice but good ol' classic yellow still looks fine. Good work.

Thank you, Captain Dee! I'm glad you like it!

Yeah, that body is extremely useful, especially for the sort of stuff I do. pirate_classic.gif

Death to fleshies! Long live the yellowies!!! Great MOC by the way! If this is your first, i feel sooo untalented :-)

Death to fleshies! Long live the yellowies!!! Great MOC by the way! If this is your first, i feel sooo untalented :-)

Oh ho, now we must wage war! FOR FLESHIES!!!!

Actually, this is just my first post in which I use yellow heads. :classic: It took me a long time to get all the puny skills I have now. pirate_wink.gif

Fantastic build! I like the beautiful detail on the walls. The back door gives the whole house a sneaky look. Next step maybe interior?

Very nice story also, enjoyed reading it! pirate_satisfied.gif

Fantastic build! I like the beautiful detail on the walls. The back door gives the whole house a sneaky look. Next step maybe interior?

Very nice story also, enjoyed reading it! pirate_satisfied.gif

Thank you, Edward! Very glad you like it!

No, sorry, no interior for this one. pirate_sceptic.gif