LiLmeFromDaFuture

[MOC] [WIP] The Command of the AT-AT

I have indeed seen Artfix fantastic RC Turbo Tank.  Anyway, the whole motorize mechanism will have to run from the hips all the way to the knees in order for it to walk.  An individual motor will definitely need to be strong enough to handle weight of 1000+ bricks of one leg, and system compact enough without skimping out on details…

Thinking about of it now it sounds quite impressive task to accomplish.

I'm not even sure the problem is the motor, but "dumbly" (I mean, not robots) motorized walkers, like Lego's own, work on gravity and there's a lot of bumping that I can't imagine a much heavier thing doing without breaking.

1 hour ago, anothergol said:

I'm not even sure the problem is the motor, but "dumbly" (I mean, not robots) motorized walkers, like Lego's own, work on gravity and there's a lot of bumping that I can't imagine a much heavier thing doing without breaking.

I honestly have no experience with power functions, etc., but I agree the concept would not work without brutally stressing the plastic to the point of breaking—the legs are too heavy.

On 06/10/2016 at 0:04 AM, LiLmeFromDaFuture said:

I have indeed seen Artfix fantastic RC Turbo Tank.  Anyway, the whole motorize mechanism will have to run from the hips all the way to the knees in order for it to walk.  An individual motor will definitely need to be strong enough to handle weight of 1000+ bricks of one leg, and system compact enough without skimping out on details…

Thinking about of it now it sounds quite impressive task to accomplish.

You could use 1 motor per leg and if that official motorised AT-AT could do it without you needing to bend the knees so I don't see why this can't? Idk phisics is some crazy ? sometimes

On 06/10/2016 at 6:40 AM, LiLmeFromDaFuture said:

I honestly have no experience with power functions, etc., but I agree the concept would not work without brutally stressing the plastic to the point of breaking—the legs are too heavy.

Hmmmm......... surely there's some third party Lego compatible motors that are strong enough aren't there? And idk about the plastic braking I think it'd be more likely for it to fall apart than anything and to test it and make sure the rest doesn't brake if it does fall over for there to be like foam padding to the sides of where it's walking

On 06/10/2016 at 6:40 AM, LiLmeFromDaFuture said:

I found a YouTube video about Lego motors and he replied to my comment saying "Wow, really that tall? You will need a lot of bricks... I think the PF Large motor is the best PF option (I think one per leg would work), but you would need to gear it down quite a bit. For robots and walking stuff mindstorms is much better, as you have more precise control over the motors and you can program them very precisely. I wish you luck, it sounds like a really big project!" I know some basic Mindstorms stuff but we won't need to do that because I couldn't imagine it really doing all that much and besides I think the gears to link it to the EV3 along with the EV3 itself would be a lot heavier than just a ? load of gears LMAO (don't worry I replied back saying it's not my project so I'm not taking credit) here's the link in case you want to do the math yourself just to make sure :P 

Edited by Tracytron

Guys, let it go.  The builder has pretty stated he has no plans to motorize this model, nor does he care to.  Enjoy it for what it is; a beautiful AT-AT representation.  If you want to motorize it, that would be awesome.  But start a new thread.

Even if a motor could do it. I would never do it because could you imagine this thing falling over and breaking? Im sure he dosnt want that ether. 

I agree with kibosh. You should just drop it.

Edited by pittpenguin123

8 hours ago, Tracytron said:

I found a YouTube video about Lego motors and he replied to my comment saying "Wow, really that tall? You will need a lot of bricks... I think the PF Large motor is the best PF option (I think one per leg would work), but you would need to gear it down quite a bit. For robots and walking stuff mindstorms is much better, as you have more precise control over the motors and you can program them very precisely. I wish you luck, it sounds like a really big project!" I know some basic Mindstorms stuff but we won't need to do that because I couldn't imagine it really doing all that much and besides I think the gears to link it to the EV3 along with the EV3 itself would be a lot heavier than just a ? load of gears LMAO (don't worry I replied back saying it's not my project so I'm not taking credit) here's the link in case you want to do the math yourself just to make sure :P 

All I can say at the moment, is, as he mentioned as well, that it will require gearing throughout the entire, and could conflict with and compromise a sheer amount of detail, which is my sole endeavor to achieve whilst maintaining an incredible rigid structure.  However, it would be ideal to hear his on this matter based from his experience in this field, so you can link him to this page as he requested in your conversation.

On 08/10/2016 at 2:40 AM, LiLmeFromDaFuture said:

All I can say at the moment, is, as he mentioned as well, that it will require gearing throughout the entire, and could conflict with and compromise a sheer amount of detail, which is my sole endeavor to achieve whilst maintaining an incredible rigid structure.  However, it would be ideal to hear his on this matter based from his experience in this field, so you can link him to this page as he requested in your conversation.

I gave him the link a few days ago but it doesn't seem like he's very active on YT cause he hasn't come here yet

Wtf I just went into the comment section of the vid and my reply isn't there wtf stupid YouTube glitches

On 08/10/2016 at 2:40 AM, LiLmeFromDaFuture said:

Hey which one is stiffer? http://www.brickowl.com/catalog/lego-technic-brick-2-x-2-with-axle-hole-and-ball-joint-socket-undetermined-57910 the new one or the old one? I would imagine the old one right? I'm trying to merge your AT-ST with anothergol's AT-ST and the head on yours is smaller so.... yeah it might just topple over lol

Edited by Tracytron

9 hours ago, Tracytron said:

I gave him the link a few days ago but it doesn't seem like he's very active on YT cause he hasn't come here yet

Wtf I just went into the comment section of the vid and my reply isn't there wtf stupid YouTube glitches

Did you consider viewing the most recent comments to find it easier?  Or you could just post another comment.

1 hour ago, Tracytron said:

Hey which one is stiffer? http://www.brickowl.com/catalog/lego-technic-brick-2-x-2-with-axle-hole-and-ball-joint-socket-undetermined-57910 the new one or the old one? I would imagine the old one right? I'm trying to merge your AT-ST with anothergol's AT-ST and the head on yours is smaller so.... yeah it might just topple over lol

I assume the newest mold, that is why it would exist, to improve on the older design.

And what do you mean the smaller head would cause it to topple over? 

10 hours ago, LiLmeFromDaFuture said:

Did you consider viewing the most recent comments to find it easier?  Or you could just post another comment.

I assume the newest mold, that is why it would exist, to improve on the older design.

And what do you mean the smaller head would cause it to topple over? 

I'm using the legs on yours and the head on his and his is a bit bigger so it might fall over. Also the reason I thought the older one is stiffer is because it's an ABSOLUTE PAIN to clip together and it's just so much more enclosed

EDIT: oh and don't worry I gave him the link I meant I found my comment then looked at the replys to it and it wasn't there so I just replied back to him (again lol) with the link explaining what happen

Edited by Tracytron

I JUST FOUND SOMETHING THAT WILL *DEFINITELY* HELP WITH REDUCING THE WEIGHT (I'm not joking it LITERALLY WILL LMAO) http://www.moc-pages.com/moc.php/243555 eventually you'll find a pic showing a LITERAL ANTI-GRAV DEVICE *AND* LITERALLY USING OFFICIAL LEGO PIECES (surprised I only now found this out -_- I've literally been a fan of this build since literally just months after they finished the 1.0 in 2010 -_-)

I JUST FOUND SOMETHING THAT WILL *DEFINITELY* HELP WITH REDUCING THE WEIGHT (I'm not joking it LITERALLY WILL LMAO) http://www.moc-pages.com/moc.php/243555 eventually you'll find a pic showing a LITERAL ANTI-GRAV DEVICE *AND* LITERALLY USING OFFICIAL LEGO PIECES (surprised I only now found this out -_- I've literally been a fan of this build since literally just months after they finished the 1.0 in 2010 -_-)

Are you talking about the "anti-grav" magnetic suspension system? If so, unfortunately that won't work, The weight will still be there. The magnets will only help for suspension purposes, absorbing shock from the wheel/legs. Reversing polarity of magnets does not create true anti-gravity, as the mass is still there.

Edited by Smitty500

2 hours ago, Tracytron said:

That would probably work more so if the walker had motorized locomotion, but, more so as well complicate implementing such a design.  Anyway, you might find it interesting that I used the wall panel elements excessively throughout the walker armor hull, which will not only significantly reduce the weight of each section of the armor hull, but it will also reduce the piece count, and the seams of the interlocked elements.

On 18/10/2016 at 11:54 AM, Smitty500 said:

Are you talking about the "anti-grav" magnetic suspension system? If so, unfortunately that won't work, The weight will still be there. The magnets will only help for suspension purposes, absorbing shock from the wheel/legs. Reversing polarity of magnets does not create true anti-gravity, as the mass is still there.

I meant it would HELP with the weight

On 18/10/2016 at 1:07 PM, LiLmeFromDaFuture said:

That would probably work more so if the walker had motorized locomotion, but, more so as well complicate implementing such a design.  Anyway, you might find it interesting that I used the wall panel elements excessively throughout the walker armor hull, which will not only significantly reduce the weight of each section of the armor hull, but it will also reduce the piece count, and the seams of the interlocked elements.

But couldn't you just design the mechanism and then just place them where there's still space? : /

3 hours ago, Tracytron said:

I meant it would HELP with the weight

But couldn't you just design the mechanism and then just place them where there's still space? : /

Without it being cumbersome and conspicuous?  I do not believe so.  Understand that despite the impressive scale attributed to this MOC of the AT-AT walker, authentic locomotion would prove impossible in a scale respectively too confined to integrate, and to mention how the operation of the walker's locomotion can compromise the integrity of the elements utilized while under the toll of its immense weight.  Regard also, that attempting to accomplish such in this scale would not manifest without compromising a considerable deal of details and proportions, which is the quintessence of UCS styled MOCs.

7 hours ago, LiLmeFromDaFuture said:

Without it being cumbersome and conspicuous?  I do not believe so.  Understand that despite the impressive scale attributed to this MOC of the AT-AT walker, authentic locomotion would prove impossible in a scale respectively too confined to integrate, and to mention how the operation of the walker's locomotion can compromise the integrity of the elements utilized while under the toll of its immense weight.  Regard also, that attempting to accomplish such in this scale would not manifest without compromising a considerable deal of details and proportions, which is the quintessence of UCS styled MOCs.

But it's removing the weight? And I just meant wherever there IS space for them? I mean the panels would cover everything up I don't understand? Also how would it throw off the proportions and limit detail if it's only filling up hollow space?

Edited by Tracytron

Tracytron, you need to give up with bugging him with suggestions for it. It isn't as simple as you are making it out to be. By all means go ahead and try it yourself with your own  design, but lilme is going for extremely high detail, and most definitely will not achieve their desired amount of detail at that scale with motorised legs. It just isn't possible. Move on already...

But it's removing the weight? And I just meant wherever there IS space for them? I mean the panels would cover everything up I don't understand? Also how would it throw off the proportions and limit detail if it's only filling up hollow space?

Literally, this won't work. The magnets only act as a cushion. They won't take the weight of the body off the legs, the weight literally still exists. It is the same idea as a spring, like the shock absorbers on a car.  Also, I don't think you realize how many bricks are in this thing, and how this mass amount of bricks adds up. If Lilme attempted to motorize it, with the amount of detail he plans to cram in. It would be the equivalent of strapping a bowling ball to a chihuahua.. 

7 hours ago, Tracytron said:

Agreed with Fuppylodders and Smitty.  I just cannot take the legs of the walker and simply shaft gears through it; there is literally no space and cannot be any space to do that, and the proportions would negatively require alteration in order to accommodate the engineering for the locomotion—it would be impossible.  Again, bear in mind that this highly detailed AT-AT, with interior, will be piping around 10,000 pieces; the walker will not operate so efficiently under the immense weight.  As for your negative gravity concept, that Smitty explained would not work so effectively, a design of this cannot easily hide amongst the skinny legs and the minimal space between the panels without being blatantly conspicuous; it is not ideal—but I have made preparations to prevent the hull from collapsing on the legs…

It's a rarity to see a motorized moc of this scale, and rightfully so. It would indeed be cumbersome and conspicuous and simply wouldn't work in this model. Based on earlier w.i.p. shots, Lilme's @-@ is beautiful and motors wouldn't add that much. Sure, it would be cool, but I think some of you can agree that the quality and accuracy of the model is more important than functionality. 

On October 17, 2016 at 8:34 PM, Tracytron said:

I think these all caps words would certainly help support the weight on the legs. 

On 22/10/2016 at 7:28 AM, Fuppylodders said:

Tracytron, you need to give up with bugging him with suggestions for it. It isn't as simple as you are making it out to be. By all means go ahead and try it yourself with your own  design, but lilme is going for extremely high detail, and most definitely will not achieve their desired amount of detail at that scale with motorised legs. It just isn't possible. Move on already...

I'm not actually asking him to do it I was just talking about how it could be done in case he wants to like come back to it later and motorise it or something

On 22/10/2016 at 8:54 AM, Smitty500 said:

Literally, this won't work. The magnets only act as a cushion. They won't take the weight of the body off the legs, the weight literally still exists. It is the same idea as a spring, like the shock absorbers on a car.  Also, I don't think you realize how many bricks are in this thing, and how this mass amount of bricks adds up. If Lilme attempted to motorize it, with the amount of detail he plans to cram in. It would be the equivalent of strapping a bowling ball to a chihuahua.. 

To a what?

2 hours ago, Forresto said:

I think these all caps words would certainly help support the weight on the legs. 

Are you being sarcastic or agreeing with me but at the same time making fun of me using all caps? You're being sarcastic right? To be fair it wasn't perfectly clear

11 hours ago, Tracytron said:

To a what?

Chihuahua. Cha-wa-wa. A small dog?  You know,"Yo Quiero TacoBell?" google it.