LiLmeFromDaFuture

[MOC] [WIP] The Command of the AT-AT

^ Oh, I see :classic: Well then just any efforts to make the joint 'easily adjustable' are pointless aren't they?

The position points are quite limited anyway; referring back to the photos of the leg angled, that is the least they can be…

Maybe the gear will be easy to disengage and won't result in significant damage to the teeth.

The position points are quite limited anyway; referring back to the photos of the leg angled, that is the least they can be…

Maybe the gear will be easy to disengage and won't result in significant damage to the teeth.

I think to get the regular 24z gears in the turntable you will have to split both haves, I found a butter knife to work well with that. So I think once it's put together, it will be a pain to change, but it allows for posing of all joints, It would be cool to have one of the legs lifted in the air and support it from below with clear bricks, as if it's walking.

I think to get the regular 24z gears in the turntable you will have to split both haves, I found a butter knife to work well with that. So I think once it's put together, it will be a pain to change, but it allows for posing of all joints, It would be cool to have one of the legs lifted in the air and support it from below with clear bricks, as if it's walking.

Indeed, the teeth are unlike the crown version, which was also very difficult to impossible to wedge in. I am not really concerned about adjusting the angle all too much, since the possible positions are so limited to the gear. However, here is how I plan to set it up in a certain position: first separate the turntable (the top will go to the leg and the base to the hub), place the old 24z gear through the axle prongs, then connect the leg to the hub at the desired angle.

Though with both pieces of the turntable attached to one of the components, that would provide enough leverage to separate it, as I believe you said before…

I saw you posted and thought you had photos. Hype letdown.

I wanted to get them in late last night, but I otherwise used the time to work on something special for this project; it will be great news!

But I am working on getting the photos today!

Apologies :blush:

I wanted to get them in late last night, but I otherwise used the time to work on something special for this project; it will be great news!

But I am working on getting the photos today!

Apologies :blush:

HYPE

ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO! Look out, here comes the hype train! Next stop, you!

Greetings everyone,

The necessary parts have arrived to build one of the legs, though I was unfortunately too impatient to have waited until I have finished the design for the hub joint to order all the parts for the components (especially considering how quick it was designed). Well, it is certainly a learning experience :blush:!

At one point, after I finished constructing the leg, the build toppled over, hit the table that it was set on, and fell to the floor, then to my surprise the structure was entirely intact (except for some exterior details). Afterwards I tried the resilience of design in my own hands to observe how well it holds up against tension in certain areas, and remarkably it will require a substantial amount of force to damage it. The design has far exceed my expectations—it is practically indestructible.

Below are the photos, yet some are a little fuzzy, as I am getting familiar with the new camera and using it under my lighting!

26422737142_4db3c83176_c.jpg

26242226150_7b734a813e_c.jpg

26422736712_efb091c027_c.jpg

26448963991_b4b8771762_c.jpg

26422736312_6be9608e31_c.jpg

26422736022_71c3bc8f85_c.jpg

:thumbup: if you did not notice the Stormtrooper

To construct this in a coherent manner, I first painstakingly worked on the LDD model by arranging sub assemblies into groups, so that the program undertakes the building guide in logical steps. For the most part it manage to turn successfully, by that there are few to no occurrences of floating bricks or any skipping.

Open the spoiler tab to see some examples

26489311906_21d3561a5c_c.jpg

26449154211_fc0482758f_c.jpg

26489311836_f2079cf96d_c.jpg

26242410970_9aca373689_c.jpg

26515245255_13f953b389_c.jpg

26489311776_d5876300d2_c.jpg

26422925412_50a498dccc_c.jpg

26422925342_04d372ef52_c.jpg

25910327724_f16d853e1f_c.jpg

26242410810_0c0c2fdb13_c.jpg

25912381183_52f457ba2e_c.jpg

25912381173_b7a02868df_c.jpg

25912381123_cd31c38ca4_c.jpg

25910327604_31fdce4c86_c.jpg

26242410640_b111aa6dd3_c.jpg

Then it came down to making a decision whether to make this MOC available for others to build by providing the instructions, or keep this as my pride and joy. I am for the community on this one; let them have another Ultimate AT-AT :sweet:! But, before I get to that point for when the files will be available, I have to first finish the model, but also make some alterations to the design that do not require rare/retired, or painted parts, and where everything is connected (like the ankle for example).

Here are my purist solutions :classic:

25910376674_3270d08021_c.jpg

26515292845_ba1b22c1d5_c.jpg

25912428213_e7287c7bc0_c.jpg

Only minimal changes have been made to the aesthetics most significantly to the bottom of the leg and the structure of the arch. The final product results in an even sturdier design for the areas revised, replaces old elements with similar current ones (such as the wedge bricks), and establishes an connection between the bottom of the leg to the arch.

This is amazing but I am curious when you put it together in LDD is it going to be in separate parts so the program can handle it all.

It looks beautiful in real life, I hope the rest of the legs work out well.

Thanks Tommy! I too hope the legs will work out with the whole model, specifically the hub joint since I plan on suspending it freely from the drive train section without the need of support for the end where the leg will connect (like other MOCs out there). Hopping that the turntable will compensate for the torque perceived by the immense weight of the legs to significantly reduced wobble (as I experienced with my first AT-AT).

Edited by LiLmeFromDaFuture

Real bricks-built leg looks very nice.

Makes me want to improve certain details in my design but I'll wait until you finish your model - to see if under real strain your ideas WORK as good as they LOOK :D . (Oh, naughty me ;) ).

Also, as you put more and more effort into designing the legs, I keep wondering whether the head isn't too small. But you won't know that until you finish so... once again: good luck!

without the need of support for the end where the leg will connect (like other MOCs out there)

Well, it's NOT supported in my model :) .

Oh, I was hoping for the teardrop hubs :D the leg is beautiful... but we kinda knew it was and there wasn't much doubt about it's great construction. Well, one step at the time - I know Bricklinking is lazy process :D Good luck, hopefully you test the crucial parts soon enough!

Real bricks-built leg looks very nice.

Makes me want to improve certain details in my design but I'll wait until you finish your model - to see if under real strain your ideas WORK as good as they LOOK :D . (Oh, naughty me ;) ).

They will certainly work better than the original legs which were glued :laugh: (naughty I for ever considering doing such a thing :grin:).

Also, as you put more and more effort into designing the legs, I keep wondering whether the head isn't too small. But you won't know that until you finish so... once again: good luck!

Most certainly I will have to! Ever since I increased the size of the feet, legs, and body—that will be an exciting experience :sweet:. Referring back to the transition to the new scale, I recall that I almost settled with using the new legs and feet with the original design I had for the body—that would have looked weird! Though regarding the scale of the head in respect to the rest of the walker, a good aspect of perspective is that cheek bulges are closely the same size as the knees. Now, considering that the knees on my model are now 8 studs in diameter, I will inevitably have to use an 8 x 8 dish for the head, and therefore increase the scale slightly.

Well, it's NOT supported in my model :) .

Oh, I did not noticed that, though I was indirectly referring to cavegod's UCS AT-AT, since that MOC is widely known, and many have struggled with the difficulties of its weight, structure, and stability :wink:.

Oh, I was hoping for the teardrop hubs :D the leg is beautiful... but we kinda knew it was and there wasn't much doubt about it's great construction. Well, one step at the time - I know Bricklinking is lazy process :D Good luck, hopefully you test the crucial parts soon enough!

Yeah the parts I ordered were already shipped before the time that the hub was designed. Though I could make a small order as it is only about 218 pieces, but I do not want to run into the event where I have made significant changes to the design in LDD and the parts were order before that.

It was not much of a hassle to acquire the pieces painlessly, and it I only took two orders.

To optimize the amount of stores I am buying from when I planned to build some of the components for my AT-AT, I first generate a Bricklink Wanted list through BrickStock, find stores that have the most unique lots and reasonable prices, then painstakingly see how their prices compare to B&P. If the prices from the Bricklink store compare greater than B&P, I subtract those pieces from the wanted list, and with those, create a new list on Brickstock to use for my B&P shopping cart, this would also be the case if the particular Bricklink store does not have all the pieces I require. However, in another case when I find out which lots the particular Bricklink store does not have, I would create a new wanted list out of those items and find another Bricklink store that has them.

Hows the progress?

Well, besides tinkering with the building guide, that is it… Approaching the area that will inevitably require extensive Technic work I dangerously become overwhelmed with the vast possibilities of how the structure can be setup, so much that I neglect the process of making preliminary designs before arriving at the perfect construction that I aspire to attain so ambitiously, and unintentionally I put off work for a while… Though the funny thing about it is that I am a relatively new MOCer/builder. I have not had much previous experience with building something with such a high regard for structure until now, so I am learning this as I go! :sweet:

But thank you for keeping interest, I will convert it into motivation and endeavor to make more progress and frequently. :classic:

Well, besides tinkering with the building guide, that is it… Approaching the area that will inevitably require extensive Technic work I dangerously become overwhelmed with the vast possibilities of how the structure can be setup, so much that I neglect the process of making preliminary designs before arriving at the perfect construction that I aspire to attain so ambitiously, and unintentionally I put off work for a while… Though the funny thing about it is that I am a relatively new MOCer/builder. I have not had much previous experience with building something with such a high regard for structure until now, so I am learning this as I go! :sweet:

But thank you for keeping interest, I will convert it into motivation and endeavor to make more progress and frequently. :classic:

If you want, you could send the files of the parts, and where you want them connected, and I can see about making a lightweight and sturdy technic frame.

If you want, you could send the files of the parts, and where you want them connected, and I can see about making a lightweight and sturdy technic frame.

Thank you for stepping out to help and provide your experience, though before I can, I have to find out how spaced apart I want and need the leg hubs to be, and maybe also finish more amor panels

Much appreciated!

^ Agreed :) I'm not sure if the head changes haven't damaged the intimidating look for me... maybe they have.

So this would be the AT-AT in Rogue One:

http://farm8.staticf...3d681305f_b.jpg

I can think of many ways to make an AT-AT look cooler, but this isn't amazing. Now if it's supposed to be an ancestor of the AT-AT, perhaps it makes sense.

Outlandish and weird. It is taller than it is longer, a shorter neck, the heavy laser cannons have been emplaced on the cheeks, and that protruding yellow armoring on the body, etc. It would be reasonably if it is a predecessor, but as it mentions in the text that the AT-DP (introduced in "Rebels") coexists in the same universe with this AT-AT, so why would this walker de-evolve from the model featured in "Rebels," or evolve in ESB yet to only de-evolve with a longer neck (as that is its most critical weak point of the walker)? I feel that these eccentric changes to the design is all unwarranted, as I assume the timeline is not so far off from The Battle of Hoth, though it might make more since if it is a different version of the AT-AT, since it is after all designated "AT-ACT."