LiLmeFromDaFuture

[MOC] [WIP] The Command of the AT-AT

I like the legs very much. It looks like spot on, can't wait to see them built in real. Still I can't help feeling that your scale has changed towards bigger model - are you sure your original (and fantastic) head is in proportion with these new legs?

By the way that AT_ST looks great aswell. You really aim high with both models :)

Nice. My feel is the same - in my opinion your AT-AT is bigger now and after that is finally in minifigure scale.

Edited by La Chupacabra

Thanks fellows.

Yes, I am now becoming aware of the concern too, but I will continue to find… something… I don't know quite what at the moment… Though whatever it is, it will still be impressive nonetheless…

The scene from TFA on Jakku with Rey at her @@ shack can be useful reference for the general size of an AT-AT compared to a human (though that would depend on how they scaled the walker). Another reference would be the game Battlefront, since I heard the OT vehicles in there were scanned directly from studio models.

Edited by LiLmeFromDaFuture

Generally like this, but I will have to check if I can do this for each slot:

23481075944_675d3a6aa1.jpg

Ah, so that's 1 full plate thick slots, I thought you were after something thinner or more 3D. I've used part 4216 here, but you work in another stud direction.

Leg is looking very nice. I thought an AT-ST was half the height of an AT-AT, but you're right, it's probably more 1/3.

Something that you may pay attention to btw, pretty much everyone connects all 3 side plates of the body using hinges, but in reality they are angled slightly differently, the middle one being less angled. Maybe this would be doable by attaching each plate separately to the body, using ball joints. Sadly I had no room to do that in my micro one.

(same goes for La Chupacabra's version)

I was talking about my solution. As you know I have used Hinge Brick - 3937. Angle depends how you bend it so you can achive whatever you want.

Edited by La Chupacabra

I was talking about my solution. As you know I have used Hinge Brick - 3937. Angle depends how you bend it so you can achive whatever you want.

But you have attached the side panels to the main one, you can only hinge it in 1 direction. The side plates go inside more than the middle one:

ATAT-SWFB.jpg

I think all 3 should simply not be attached together, but instead be attached to the body using ball joint(s). It's always tricky to have 2 ball joints meet somewhere, but even 1 would work if it's at the top and you let the plate fall down naturally, using guiders/blockers.

Sure, the middle plate also has a thin slope going towars the middle plates, and that would then be impossible to combine both. But IMHO that angle difference matters more, because of the shadows it casts.

Edited by anothergol

That's really good point. It would be another step up in accuracy if this detail was porperly captured. I didn't really focused on this before therefore that constant offcet used on most mocs didn't bother me but now as you point it out, it seems surprisingly clear that the botoms of these panels almost meet in one point.

Ah, so that's 1 full plate thick slots, I thought you were after something thinner or more 3D. I've used part 4216 here, but you work in another stud direction.

Yeah the direction that it is in now allows me to get them as close as one plate apart.

Leg is looking very nice. I thought an AT-ST was half the height of an AT-AT, but you're right, it's probably more 1/3.

The height perspectives would be respective to the stance of the AT-ST or AT-AT, or visa versa to find where they are on scale with each other (my AT-ST is in a semi squat position). The only difficulty with fathoming the size of the two walkers as compared to themselves is the lack reference when they were in close proximity with each other. Most noticeably, the only occurrence is in ESB. However, as I suggested recently, the Battlefront game can be useful tool for referencing the scale of vehicles compared to others and humans, since they are all designed from studio models.

Something that you may pay attention to btw, pretty much everyone connects all 3 side plates of the body using hinges, but in reality they are angled slightly differently, the middle one being less angled. Maybe this would be doable by attaching each plate separately to the body, using ball joints. Sadly I had no room to do that in my micro one.

(same goes for La Chupacabra's version)

That is something definitely to consider, since at the moment the front and rear panels are connected to the middle by hinge plates and brackets. Looking at this image bellow. I believe it will enhance the perspective of the walker from front on or from rearward.

24020838742_bcae2f3fb9.jpg

But you have attached the side panels to the main one, you can only hinge it in 1 direction. The side plates go inside more than the middle one:

I believe La Chupacabra is referring to this technique done by fuppylodders on his AT-AT below:

20k0hv.jpg

Ball joint geometry is tricky but it would be quite pro to work it out :) And I think such dedicated model deserves no less than pro solutions!

I believe La Chupacabra is referring to this technique done by fuppylodders on his AT-AT below:

20k0hv.jpg

ah.. but that looks like something to report to the national organization against brick abuse

with ball joints that would work, though, but you'd then need to connect at least 2, always tricky

Edited by anothergol

@ krisandkris12

Here is a tidbit of my expertise for designing the head, these elements were paramount to design a solid structure and get those complicated angles:

6628.JPG

2736.GIF

15459.JPG

731c06.GIF

42608.GIF

Your referring to the shock absorbers correct? If so, those elements conveniently handle those odd incidents when you discover that the length of your standard Technic liftarms (specifically 5 & 6 lengths) cannot connect to pins without forcibly manipulating them.

ah.. but that looks like something to report to the national organization against brick abuse

:head_back:

Your referring to the shock absorbers correct? If so, those elements conveniently handle those odd incidents when you discover that the length of your standard Technic liftarms (specifically 5 & 6 lengths) cannot connect to pins without forcibly manipulating them.

But how is it helping, if you connect 2 things for them to hold together and the spring is pushing them away? Ah, I assume there's a blocker so the plate is pushed by the spring & blocked by a brick on the other side. Makes sense.

(there's also that rubber double axle connector btw, but it doesn't do miracles)

Edited by anothergol

LiLmeFromDaFuture I must say that you and dmac inspired me to add some details and rebuild couple of things in my AT - AT :blush:

That is great to hear! It feels good being important, because of the things you contribute are received tremendously well. After seeing dmaclego's AT-AT I was motivated to completely discard the original design (like trash) for the legs of my walker and scratch-build a new design that is sturdier and studless than before. Thinking back, I can't believe why I would ever settle for something so fragile and studdy, but I guess that was before my excessively heavy emphasis on using bracket elements!

Really liking the fact that not only is this thing massive and hugely detailed, it is also mobile, in all of the correct places, like the knee joint and toe flaps! Good luck in completing this massive endeavor!

Really liking the fact that not only is this thing massive and hugely detailed, it is also mobile, in all of the correct places, like the knee joint and toe flaps! Good luck in completing this massive endeavor!

Duly appreciated!

Ever since I redesigned the legs to be studless and sturdier (so that it requires NO GLUE), I have been irked that leg portion is only connected to the ankle part (what connects to the arch) by 8 studs, since the 6182.JPG is upside down, which requires the "Studpits" (as I will now call them) to be on both sides in order for the leg to connect to the ankle in the fashion the studs are directed in…

24131892506_30d237577b_q.jpg

Unfortunately, that is all I had to work with; 8 studs, and for something would be quite weighty, I believe it could splinter quite easily. Additionally, I could not have secured the connection by using hinge plates to connect to the sides of the double convex slope (3685) to the sides of the lower leg, because it was basically not possible.

23480837723_b633ffe581_m.jpg

So, this dilemma compelled me to search without question for a new design, where that the ankle and leg will be one whole component, rather than sectioned into two parts. Promptly, the piece to use alternatively of the 3685.JPG came into perspective. I will be implementing the 4858.GIF element. Socially, I am not concerned with spray painting them to light gray, because it is not degrading as is gluing some parts together for whatever reasons. Though I would appreciate some recommendations of which brand I should look towards investing in.

23570806293_ee7f5da4c6.jpg

23570806163_905517298a.jpg

23829803609_9f994eabf6.jpg

Now that all the studs are directed upside down, the leg can revolve around the arch much more smoothly than before, as I have tested with physical bricks…

23571192773_bbd7dc8e34.jpg

Then since it is all one component, it will surely make assembling and disassembling easier and enjoyable when I eventually attend particular events, because the components are in fewer modules.

23570805543_091241a5b8_c.jpg

23570806403_25cea5c4f1_c.jpg

The height perspectives would be respective to the stance of the AT-ST or AT-AT, or visa versa to find where they are on scale with each other (my AT-ST is in a semi squat position). The only difficulty with fathoming the size of the two walkers as compared to themselves is the lack reference when they were in close proximity with each other. Most noticeably, the only occurrence is in ESB. However, as I suggested recently, the Battlefront game can be useful tool for referencing the scale of vehicles compared to others and humans, since they are all designed from studio models.

For a new reference btw, I've just assembled a Bandai AT-ST snap-kit. It's amazingly detailed, and probably the best AT-ST one can buy. It taught me about details I hadn't noticed. I strongly advise it, it's really great. Ultraboring to cut pieces, but enjoyable to build (& looks cool without paint, it's nearly Lego LBG).

While Bandai hasn't released an AT-AT (yet), it at least gives the scale of the AT-ST. It's 1/48, and the height of the back of the head would be 1.9m. It has a very detailed interior, & the pilots, so I think it's scaled pretty accurately.

Meaning that on this pic, the Hoth one (the kit is the Endor one, no curve at the top, small side gun dishes), it would be 10 to 11m tall:

iWfwC.jpg

For a new reference btw, I've just assembled a Bandai AT-ST snap-kit. It's amazingly detailed, and probably the best AT-ST one can buy. It taught me about details I hadn't noticed. I strongly advise it, it's really great. Ultraboring to cut pieces, but enjoyable to build (& looks cool without paint, it's nearly Lego LBG).

While Bandai hasn't released an AT-AT (yet), it at least gives the scale of the AT-ST. It's 1/48, and the height of the back of the head would be 1.9m. It has a very detailed interior, & the pilots, so I think it's scaled pretty accurately.

Meaning that on this pic, the Hoth one (the kit is the Endor one, no curve at the top, small side gun dishes), it would be 10 to 11m tall:

Unfortunately, the biggest constraint with staying within the perimeters of this scale in minifigure scale is the size of some individual elements. Likewise this was an issue for me when first designing my AT-ST; trying to get the details and angles as accurate, it started to evolving into UCS scale. So I saved that for another project in the future and started from scratch to build an AT-ST close to minifigure scale…

I admire how you got rid of the slopes 75 2x2x3 double convex. It opens new possibilities for sturdier ankle joints. Great job! (And I agree that paint is a lesser sin than glue ;) . )