LiLmeFromDaFuture

[MOC] [WIP] The Command of the AT-AT

I really like the look of this build so far. The light blue panels on the side of the body are something I have wanted to see on an AT-AT. My only concern is the front viewport looks too narrow but whether that's from the angle of the photos?

Also thanks to Rebels we have a new AT-AT design to MOC

21806672174_293f3e8b16.jpg

Edited by michaelozzie

looking pretty nicehere are suggestions for the body's pimples, and ladder

Thank you for the suggestions. I am fond of the idea for the backwards facing binoculars. I most likely will fashion them in that position to fill the gap, while still portraying, at least, a shallow recess—just going to need a lot them in LBG.

What's this assembly btw?

It is a very small modification of a 1 x 2 tile, grille, with the center removed by a box cutter, and then placed upside down, so the bottom groove/lip is facing upwards, for added detail.

It is a very small modification of a 1 x 2 tile, grille, with the center removed by a box cutter, and then placed upside down, so the bottom groove/lip is facing upwards, for added detail.

ah.. don't do that :)

All the rest seems legit (is it?), it would be a pity to be in the "cut/altered/glued" Lego category just for one little part, it always seems less impressive when there's a bit of cheating :)

ah.. don't do that :)

All the rest seems legit (is it?), it would be a pity to be in the "cut/altered/glued" Lego category just for one little part, it always seems less impressive when there's a bit of cheating :)

Well that is actually quite trivial to how much I did to keep the legs together :look:, but I assure you, with exception to that modified 1 x 2 tile, the head is 100% unaltered LEGO.

I really like the look of this build so far. The light blue panels on the side of the body are something I have wanted to see on an AT-AT. My only concern is the front viewport looks too narrow but whether that's from the angle of the photos?

Much appreciated. I was always fond of a pale blue stripe on the side of an AT-AT; it contributes a favorable contrast to a wall of tremendous "greyness." The view port is actually quite narrow compared to various sources, but adjusting it in what ever way to widen it would manifest some unsightly gaps—and it is already problematic with continuous adjustment and reattachment of those triangle signs to reduce the gaps.

Also thanks to Rebels we have a new AT-AT design to MOC

Yeah, I have seen those in the season trailer, they are fascinating, especially the design of the legs. I can see a simple way of recreating the cockpit, if LEGO ever releases a set of it (I actually would want something like that), is to use this part in a LBG:

45406.gif

Well that is actually quite trivial to how much I did to keep the legs together :look:, but I assure you, with exception to that modified 1 x 2 tile, the head is 100% unaltered LEGO.

I agree with anothergol. There is huge step between zero and one regarding modified bricks. I share the oppinion that purity shouldn't be sacrificed for some little details. The more in this case where you could easily omit this part without losing much accuracy.

You scare me with these legs :D Are you sure there is no way to avoid that?

I agree with anothergol. There is huge step between zero and one regarding modified bricks. I share the oppinion that purity shouldn't be sacrificed for some little details. The more in this case where you could easily omit this part without losing much accuracy.

You scare me with these legs :D Are you sure there is no way to avoid that?

For the concern of this AT-AT MOC, I am quite apathetic to labels it will receive due to unconventional approaches used to achieve certain details and durability, because the sole endeavor is to replicate most if not all details featured on this particular walker. Now that doesn't mean because a modified piece here and parts glued in the legs that I will just modify any piece I please, or just shell out tubes of krazy glue to keep everything from coming apart ever again.

However I made the critical decision to ONLY glue the structural assemblies within the legs, because they are quite fragile due to their thin nature (I bend the knee joint and most of it crumbles in my hands). These limbs are not as thin as I intended due to how much studs wedge plates & 6 x 6 round plates are exposed, which is an aesthetic shame, but it was either what I have now, or monotonous legs from the omission of wedge plates, or legs thick as 4 studs wide, or just completely scratch everything else except for the head (because legs didn't qualify since they were "study" and glued).

I assure, that everything besides the legs & and the 1 x 2 tile grille are unaltered/unglued assemblies. Though of course, I don't believe any matter of that would excuse my actions, because for some it wouldn't be beyond the fact that a piece was modified and parts were glued, but I apologize if any of yours' expectation happened to dwindle because of this truth.

But I believe everyone will be excited to see another AT-AT I am also making, yet in LDD. It will be scaled down, less sophisticated, sturdier, and almost entirely studless : )

Edited by LiLmeFromDaFuture

LilMe, I get the points and stand and you surely don't have to apologize, nor justify it against my notes, furthermore if you don't want to have this discussion, just say it and I'm quiet :)

To explain my attitude, let me say this. One of the reasons why I love LEGO is the fact that it has it's limits (within range of brick pallete, colors...) and restrictions, which every builder has to deal with. These limits, in my oppinion, conceives the most creative ideas and makes the building such amazingly enjoyable. It's especially the challenge of fighting these bounds, trying to make up solutions that is both 'legal' and accurate. Therefore I can't be more excited seing a MOC that seems to meet both of these standards. Your head assembly (and presumably the whole build) has so many briliant solutions... so many. So yea, I'm quite disappointed, eventhough it's just one piece (let's not talk the legs for now, I'll follow up on that), nothing compared to the rest. Though actually maybe the fact that it's juts one piece makes it even more irritating for me. One piece that puts a shade (very very fine one) on the entire rest of the build, which is just fabulous. "Best AT-AT ever built from Lego with only ONE modified piece" vs. "Best AT-AT ever built purely from Lego bricks" :D Isn't that shame?

Or maybe this is the oppinion of crazy purist, who should undergo some psychiatric treatment :)

Regarding thes legs, I know this is probably inevitable. Although I'd still prefer making them sturdier at the expense of it's thickness, your decision is somewhat understandable for me. Especially since the others who attempted for AT-AT's of this size had problems even with thick legs. So if gluing allows you to achieve considerably better design (unlike that modified plate :D) it won't devaluate my perception of your fantastic build.

Oh, and by the way I'm very excited about that smaller version.

PS: If I wasn't sure about that blue stripe at first, I love it now! :) It really makes the whole thing way more interesting to look at.

Edited by krisandkris12

LilMe, I get the points and stand and you surely don't have to apologize, nor justify it against my notes, furthermore if you don't want to have this discussion, just say it and I'm quiet :)

To explain my attitude, let me say this. One of the reasons why I love LEGO is the fact that it has it's limits (within range of brick pallete, colors...) and restrictions, which every builder has to deal with. These limits, in my oppinion, conceives the most creative ideas and makes the building such amazingly enjoyable. It's especially the challenge of fighting these bounds, trying to make up solutions that is both 'legal' and accurate. Therefore I can't be more excited seing a MOC that seems to meet both of these standards. Your head assembly (and presumably the whole build) has so many briliant solutions... so many. So yea, I'm quite disappointed, eventhough it's just one piece (let's not talk the legs for now, I'll follow up on that), nothing compared to the rest. Though actually maybe the fact that it's juts one piece makes it even more irritating for me. One piece that puts a shade (very very fine one) on the entire rest of the build, which is just fabulous. "Best AT-AT ever built from Lego with only ONE modified piece" vs. "Best AT-AT ever built purely from Lego bricks" :D Isn't that shame?

Or maybe this is the oppinion of crazy purist, who should undergo some psychiatric treatment :)

Regarding thes legs, I know this is probably inevitable. Although I'd still prefer making them sturdier at the expense of it's thickness, your decision is somewhat understandable for me. Especially since the others who attempted for AT-AT's of this size had problems even with thick legs. So if gluing allows you to achieve considerably better design (unlike that modified plate :D) it won't devaluate my perception of your fantastic build.

Oh, and by the way I'm very excited about that smaller version.

PS: If I wasn't sure about that blue stripe at first, I love it now! :) It really makes the whole thing way more interesting to look at.

Oh it is completely fine to exchange thoughts from both sides on that particular topic. Other purist (not here of course unless someone wants to object and mention otherwise :grin:) act bluntly and kinda like a jerk, so it is completely accepted to be respectively candid.

I enjoy LEGO the same way—that is exactly what I experienced with designing my snowspeeder. I am again experiencing it with that other AT-AT, and the MF AT-ST, and UCS AT-ST I referred about. One reason why is because the ingenuity around the techniques that are built in a small package (if that makes sense). In short I felt like it was destiny for those various elements to be manufactured for this particular time and be fashioned into these builds. In those moments I slide back in my chair and just astonished—impressed beyond words. I as well see it in this AT-AT MOC, which I have been building since 2012. I remember the main reason why I neglected working on it for so long was of how much issue I had with finding a design for the legs that was satisfactory. I am not ashamed of it as much as I am disappointed with how much studs there will exposed—I hope LEGO will manufacture those wedge tiles in LGB. I assume if I had not have glued, it will still be able to support the weight of the body and head, because of my special technique, which I will explain more later on. However, the most problematic issue was how prone the legs are to crumbling when I bend the knee joints, so the glue resolved this. And actually I think it does qualify for "Best AT-AT ever built purely from Lego bricks," because no other brand was used in the making this :head_back:.

The scaled down AT-AT is really impressive, but I am not going to get ahead of my and share it later. I actually like this scaled down version more than this minifigure scale one, because of how simpler, sturdier, and less studs it has, but the MF wins with the head and body.

I am glad you like the the blue stripe. Before I wanted to make the sand blue color more pale by exposing it in the sun all day, but I became impatient of how long it was taking and was concerned of vandalizing squirrels :laugh:.

Pretty much what Krisandkris12 wrote, that part alone will put your work in another category, but maybe you could then go further in that category & bend other rules for a better look.

What are the measurements of your AT-AT legs, are you sure you can't use Technic parts? Even for yourself it'd be better, because once it's glued it's forever, and I'm pretty sure you will never be happy with your work and will wanna make many revisions - even just because new Lego parts/colors keep coming up.

For an AT-ST (can we see what you did so far?) it's more understandable because its legs are very thin - that's why I chose not to care & took liberty on the legs on mine, it's not really technically doable to have thin legs AND posability for an AT-ST anyway, without bending the rules. But I don't know the metrics of an AT-AT leg, I would have expected it to be over 2 technic liftarms thick(?)

Oh, and it's also possible to make very solid assemblies from lego parts, using brackets. A basic assembly that's held on its sides by plates over brackets, it's very hard to break that.

I hope LEGO will manufacture those wedge tiles in LGB

what wedge tiles are you referring to, btw?

Edited by anothergol

Pretty much what Krisandkris12 wrote, that part alone will put your work in another category, but maybe you could then go further in that category & bend other rules for a better look.

What are the measurements of your AT-AT legs, are you sure you can't use Technic parts? Even for yourself it'd be better, because once it's glued it's forever, and I'm pretty sure you will never be happy with your work and will wanna make many revisions - even just because new Lego parts/colors keep coming up.

For an AT-ST (can we see what you did so far?) it's more understandable because its legs are very thin - that's why I chose not to care & took liberty on the legs on mine, it's not really technically doable to have thin legs AND posability for an AT-ST anyway, without bending the rules. But I don't know the metrics of an AT-AT leg, I would have expected it to be over 2 technic liftarms thick(?)

Oh, and it's also possible to make very solid assemblies from lego parts, using brackets. A basic assembly that's held on its sides by plates over brackets, it's very hard to break that.

what wedge tiles are you referring to, btw?

I will have some photos of the legs soon, but because I am using those Technic ratcheted joints and trying to keep the width as thin as possible, I don't have much to work with except with technic half pins and modified bricks latched together with plates on their sides.

I only glued together the join between the two leg segments, because the connection was so weak it crumbles when I bend the knee. I did reap the consequences for gluing some assemblies that I later on went back and changed. I always look forward to new parts LEGO has to offer, and if I see they can be implemented, I will change the design accordingly—though I might have to build new legs since a few parts are glued together.

As for the AT-ST, I am glad you are interested in it—I feel compelled to start a new topic. I agree making the legs extremely thin is not doable, unless sacrificing significant amounts of detail and structure—I took the liberty to design them 2 studs wide (without details added the outside that is). Though I think it can be made possible in regards of mine if LEGO produces brackets in 1 x 1 & 1 x 2. Building this AT-ST recently, brackets have become my favorite element for exactly the techniques you described to make solid and basic assemblies, and I will be happy to share this later on…

The wedge part I was referring to was this one:

51739.GIF

They greatly make up the plating on the legs, so it would be nice to have those with out studs.

Ah, I thought you were talking about a new part not in LBG yet.

I don't understand (well, I do: Lego is more interested in molding minifig stuff) why Lego doesn't do these basic things, especially when Mega Blocks has them (& so many little parts you wish Lego had). Even as a plate, that part sucks, as it should be cut in half.

I hate to see studs but I've recently learnt to accept them, because alternate methods have their drawbacks as well.

Hi and congratulations for your project.

I have checked the pictures and the cockpit looks good. It will be able to hold 4 minifigs, but maybe a bit cramped; my AT AT cockpit (one of the smallest minifig size AT ATs is wider and the crew is shoulder-by-shoulder).

However, the cockpit construction looks light, so that will help a lot in the future.

Be careful with the assembly of the neck in the body, that will be vital to prevent the cockpit from falling on the ground...

Best regards.

Ah, I thought you were talking about a new part not in LBG yet.

I don't understand (well, I do: Lego is more interested in molding minifig stuff) why Lego doesn't do these basic things, especially when Mega Blocks has them (& so many little parts you wish Lego had). Even as a plate, that part sucks, as it should be cut in half.

I hate to see studs but I've recently learnt to accept them, because alternate methods have their drawbacks as well.

I know right :facepalm:!

Likewise, I had several experiences where it would have been convenient if those wedge plates came in halves :wall:.

I appreciate studs too in moderation, when placed ingeniously in a way that it is not too cluttered or too scattered. In regard for the legs of this MOC, compared to the smooth body, they are plagued with studs.

When making a model, one kinda have to make clear (himself) whether studs will be considred defect or feature. I do feaure studs on most of my models - it's also part of my attitude when it comes onto building. But once maximum accuracy is the aim, studs usually are a hindrance.

To the question why doesn't lego make these desired parts, I'd use the same argument as before. It would make whole system less entertaining if we had just the right part for any application. To be honest, I hate Megabloks for many reasons and this is one of them - everytime they need to achieve certain design, they just flesh out new part. I hope lego never descend to that level. To be honest, I'd prefer even less new parts to be made every year. Current pallette is growing bigger really fast. Lego also thinks about their elements in much wider scale and time horizon - they try not to cycle and retire parts very often, which is cool since we don't have to many rare pieces and most of the brick remain affordable for longer period. I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) that Megabloks doesn't give a **** about such things :)

Hi and congratulations for your project.

I have checked the pictures and the cockpit looks good. It will be able to hold 4 minifigs, but maybe a bit cramped; my AT AT cockpit (one of the smallest minifig size AT ATs is wider and the crew is shoulder-by-shoulder).

However, the cockpit construction looks light, so that will help a lot in the future.

Be careful with the assembly of the neck in the body, that will be vital to prevent the cockpit from falling on the ground...

Best regards.

Much appreciated. The head has no space for seating minifigures, unless you just throw them in there, for just the point of getting them in there—the whole thing is rigged with a sophisticated Technic infrastructure.

The neck is less sophisticated with only using wheels and extremely long Technic axles, so I believe that section is sound for the most part.

When making a model, one kinda have to make clear (himself) whether studs will be considred defect or feature. I do feaure studs on most of my models - it's also part of my attitude when it comes onto building. But once maximum accuracy is the aim, studs usually are a hindrance.

To the question why doesn't lego make these desired parts, I'd use the same argument as before. It would make whole system less entertaining if we had just the right part for any application. To be honest, I hate Megabloks for many reasons and this is one of them - everytime they need to achieve certain design, they just flesh out new part. I hope lego never descend to that level. To be honest, I'd prefer even less new parts to be made every year. Current pallette is growing bigger really fast. Lego also thinks about their elements in much wider scale and time horizon - they try not to cycle and retire parts very often, which is cool since we don't have to many rare pieces and most of the brick remain affordable for longer period. I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) that Megabloks doesn't give a **** about such things :)

I see the downside of LEGO doing something like that, but I know for sure they will not go down that path to release parts that are molded exactly of some object, because that would be against the system that they have for their brand. I see the vehicles that Megabloks releases and they appear perfectly to that they are modeled after. I am fond of the different styles of modified bricks and other things Megabloks has produced, yet disappointed that LEGO has not made parts like that beforehand—they would have been quite useful if they were LEGO and in their colors.

NEW UPDATES!

Here are some photos of a footpad, leg, and with a stormie of course : )

It is hard to notice but there is a white arch that joins the ankle part to the footpad. It was this or lower the quality of the photo, which is already average with the use of iPone camera without any extra lenses attached. I will probably spray paint the arch to a gray that is close to LEGO's, but I will have to find a brand first.

22444977496_966053b329_c.jpg

22283035620_466d96cb3c_c.jpg

21848271274_4033c5cb8a_c.jpg

22444995586_b5c64e49a8_c.jpg

22284201959_1abe6aea3d_c.jpg

22445001366_77421e7fa6_c.jpg

That Technic hole is to access the gearbox function and adjust it via a specially made crank. This system allows the possibility to adjust either the legs or shoulders and keep it in a fixed position, so therefore the overbearing weight of the body is not an issue that would result in a collapsed walker.

Just have to crank it up more and the walker stands as desired.

22283065820_b6907fd143_c.jpg

22481999501_bd710ffe3b_c.jpg

The legs can bend to a great extant, and if you also notice, they are not connected to the ankles by technic elements, modified bricks, etc., but merely latched to the ankle arch, to produced the authentic revolving motion like an actual AT-AT walker.

22457664492_1481caa76c_c.jpg

Looking great. And yeah, the posing is important, more than the details.

So what part of it have you glued?

For the 2 bumps in the arch section, have you tried this part? 50948.jpg

There is certainly some innovative ideas used, especially the hip joint with the worm gear! Im not sure where you have used glue, but i do see a potential easy weakness, where the bottom of the legs join onto the ankle simply by the arch. That will be a lot of weight on just the arches that i believe there will be quite a bit of flex occurring somewhere.

Edited by Fuppylodders

I don't know, IMHO Lego has too many specialized "1 big assembly mold" parts, and not enough generic ones.

I was just watching Jangbricks's last review and god, even Cobi has all the nice parts. Even a brick female on both sides! Lego had what, 35 years to do this -basic- thing?

I find it sad that Lego is all about the minifigs, these days.

That Cobi tank, it's all built out of basic, generic parts - you would expect this system from Lego, not a competitor.

Lego went the right path when they added the 1x2/3/4 curved slope bricks. Only now they should ditch the straight slope bricks & go for the same design as the curve ones, without the studs.

Edited by anothergol

I wish things like brick female on both sides or double sided plate never happen - call me diehard :)

So what part of it have you glued?

I only wanted to glue the technic ratcheted knee joint to the leg segments, since it is only naturally connected by a couple of half technic pins, but the rest of the legs is quite sound without glue. I am pretty sure the strength of those hinge parts is familiar, with a weak connection like that, the legs from that point would just disintegrate; unless I always squeeze it together when adjusting, but that might result in accidentally bringing the walker to the ground.

For the 2 bumps in the arch section, have you tried this part?

No I have not approach that part because it was not wide enough as desired, and since the utmost end of that element does not slope towards the center, it would negatively affect the aspect of that section from certain perspectives.