LiLmeFromDaFuture

[MOC] [WIP] The Command of the AT-AT

The Head

- No, it is not the understated as just another AT-AT, because it won’t be, but for the matter of this topic, it is, momentarily, just a head. Though merely a head, it makes a rather astonishing display piece by itself. Aside from the towering height and lumbering movement of this terrifying machine, the head is quite formidable in appearance, resembling that of a fearsome beast.

- In the course to build my original creation of the greatly revered imperial walker of the grand army of the empire, I amass a wealth of reference material concerning studio models, replicas, on-screen images, artwork, etc., to meticulously build the perfect LEGO incarnation that is indubitably authentic to the movies. I have been building this minifigure-scale AT-AT for quite some time—I recall since 2012 with the start of the body section. However, as of recently, since early 2015, I have built the head for this admirable tool of destruction.

- Furthermore recently, I have been constructing the infrastructure of the body, acquiring additional parts & correct colors, making considerable amount of alterations, but I have postponed most of this to venture off and design my original minifigure-scale T-47 Airspeeder (Snowspeeder) in LDD, which turned out into a successful MOC and will be a great companion. I planned after that to resume progress with the AT-AT, but after I was inspired by anothergol’s innovative use of paint rollers and mudguards for the waist of his articulated AT-ST, I was just motivated to jump ahead and create my own creation of the imposing “chicken walker” beforehand. Mine, which will implement those techniques of his that I mentioned early, but also the 5 x 5 Scala dish. Interestingly, my own creation first turned out MF-scale, then evolved into UCS scale, then separated into two projects: a MF-scale and UCS scale! A considerable amount of progress has been completed on both projects, with the MF-scale almost finished and the UCS scale having feet and the waist finished. However, for concern of the UCS model, I have postponed its progress to focus on the MF-scele—to complete that and finally resume progress with the MF-scale AT-AT walker.

- Regarding this MOC of the AT-AT head, you should notice that I deliberately took some liberty in the greebling located at the bottom. This was a compromise due to the thickness of some elements and from the lack of elements that could properly represent those tiny details, in this scale, authentically. I was as well tight on space for building the main cannons. I originally wanted to attribute a sliding action to them, as if they were in action, but this was unfortunately omitted due to a number of things, which includes: space, structure, scale, parts, etc., which also brought them closer together than intended. Along with other things, like the lack of other small details on the face and others things, that is practically as far as inaccuracies go for it. Nevertheless, one extra detail I have included, which I have not seen previously before represented, are the light fixtures atop the medium support blasters mounted on the cheeks. Then among other characteristics, I can grasp the head by the neck and jerk it around without any parts coming undone, with exception to the roof because it is not fixed together (kinda like other @@ heads I know of :wink:). That rigid likability is attributed to the infrastructure constructed exclusively with Technic & modified plates (w) Technic elements, which also clutches the sides securely in place and almost seamlessly with other aspects. For this fact of such a packed, robust, complex infrastructure, there is no interior, likewise for the whole body—I never had intentions to include such luxuries anyway, but I congratulate those who did.

- To determine the dimensions of a MF-scale AT-AT walker, I first acquired theorized dimensions of the actual walker from an in depth survey of its structural components, capabilities, practical role, and tactical uses: here. Wookieepedia is informative in some areas, but it claims the walker is taller than it is longer, which it is clearly not. Besides the overall dimension of the walker’s height and length, this technical commentary also provides a reasonable measurement of its width, diameter of the footpads, and other aspects like the height of boarding hatch. I also found this useful: here. To find the MF-scale, it took some little conversion of average human being height, minifigure height, dividing, multiplying, then more multiplying, but it came out to be around 20in/50cm. Some time on, I took the actual height of my model from toe to the main section of the body and acquired the measurements around 21in/53.34cm, then rework some steps back to get the plausible measurements of 85ft/26m. For the footpads, each are 12 studs in diameter and its height a few measures above a minifigure's chin. So the model is rather on scale for minifigures’ height, as well other aspects in general scaling, as according to the probable height of an actual AT-AT walker.

- If there is any misconception about the visor of the command viewport being transparent red, I have some valid reasons to put those to rest. At first, if you notice the moment when five imperial walkers are advancing towards echo base, only the lead walker exhibits a red visor. During the scene, where General Maximilian Veers oversees the battlefield through the viewport the visor is transparent clear. Logically, if the visor was transparent red it could not beam as so bright as it did in a cloudy, snow filled day—not even in a sunny day. Though it appears black this is due to the overcasting shadow from the outside portion of the viewport. Therefore, the red lighting is believably a system for operations in low light periods or environments, to preserve the crews vision in these circumstances, while still being able to function about in the walker.

- Well, if you are still reading, I am done for expressing this MOC, for I believe I have covered everything concerning the model and relating to it that was on my mind to say. So, you can finally enjoy the photos and express your own thoughts, criticisms, questions, etc. below. However, bear in mind that I will not be giving out any form of direction that will describe or depict how it is built—I appreciate that this is understood in advance of your comments.

Much appreciated,

LiLmeFromDaFuture

22199574100_e9a5db9f61_c.jpg

22398332191_c6d9cacba2_c.jpg

21764812834_d2a5880bc9_c.jpg

21766473373_60b58e844d_c.jpg

22199566780_a7f5b39156_c.jpg

22361581686_c3a1874814_c.jpg

22398322971_a5786ab89b_c.jpg

22398321331_5a6cd7014e_c.jpg

22200742419_d15b6dc5ef_c.jpg

22199584620_5ee4991c8f_c.jpg

22387565715_719aaa9031_c.jpg

22199563810_9261f9d4e7_c.jpg

22200727439_f6bc73d586_c.jpg

22199837918_5ae6179afc_c.jpg

22200742149_81a9f94289_c.jpg

22387581185_ec89a97bdc_c.jpg

22361594726_e446eb29b8_c.jpg

22398319301_bfc3c5f605_c.jpg

22398336821_473951aa5d_c.jpg

21764817544_7302b6fe27_c.jpg

21764815544_1982c5ae25_c.jpg

Edited by LiLmeFromDaFuture

The start of a promising project :classic:

I guess buildong the head is the most important thing to get the final model right, but also it should be the most interesting part to do, so are you sur to keep your motivation for the next steps ?

The start of a promising project :classic:

I guess buildong the head is the most important thing to get the final model right, but also it should be the most interesting part to do, so are you sur to keep your motivation for the next steps ?

I actually started with the paneling of the carapace (or body) and perfected the translation from studio model to bricks, but indeed many would consider the head the most interesting part to do and achieve the correct look, as it makes a remarkably awesome display piece.

What I am currently working on is the infrastructure for the body; a particular task I have dreaded in past time because the thought of innumerable possibilities to get everything connected soundly together. I have been progressing somewhat with that task, but my fascination with techniques has drawn me to building another AT-AT, yet scaled down and less sophisticated!

Well, not much to say except of well done! As I was mistaken several times previously, I'm being more careful with "this is the best -something- ever built!" kind of statements but I'm quite confident I wouldn't have to regret using it this time. The accuracy and detailing are astonishiing and some part constructions (I. e. these slopes forming the bottom of the front 'window') are just great.

I wish you keep the level of accuracy through whole build. Good luck!

I'll share this:

Details of the middle section from the left side of the body.

18966720551_bdbe68835d_c.jpg

What you should see are most if not ALL of the details that would be present on the studio model: here, where the pale blue stripe can be referenced. Additionally, I stylistically used light grey elements to represent weathered sections of the body, especially for the boarding hatch You should also notice I accidentally place the 1 x 2 stud jumper one stud too low :grin:.

Well, not much to say except of well done! As I was mistaken several times previously, I'm being more careful with "this is the best -something- ever built!" kind of statements but I'm quite confident I wouldn't have to regret using it this time. The accuracy and detailing are astonishiing and some part constructions (I. e. these slopes forming the bottom of the front 'window') are just great.

I wish you keep the level of accuracy through whole build. Good luck!

Much appreciated! I too believe it is safe to claim "this is the best……" though except with the lack of an interior. Needless to say, it was well worth the sacrifice.

The head and body look very realistic and have really captured the look of the beast - awesome, can't wait for your next update!

In my opinion it is to small for minifigure scale.

Hmm… how so? I recall that cavegod's is larger than minifigure scale. The lowest side of its hexagonal shape is 14 studs wide, sides are 21 studs long from bottom to end, the height starts at 8 studs then tapers to 11. As for mine the lowest side of the hexagonal shape is 10 studs wide, sides are 17 studs long from bottom to end, and the height starts at 6 studs and tapers to 8. It is perhaps hard to fathom the size from the photos; it even appears narrower than it actually is, but it is considerably huge.

That blue stripe looks a bit weird but I like it actually. Eventhough its not just the right color. Hows come noone spotted that before?? :P

That blue stripe looks a bit weird but I like it actually. Eventhough its not just the right color. Hows come noone spotted that before?? :P

I have seen that detail portrayed in a few scenes from the original ESB and it can be clearly seen exclusively on the left side of the body from this studio model, though it is more pale than LEGO sand blue:

Link

It is more vibrant on this mega scaled (1:24) AT-AT model:

Link

Maybe it would blend better if I used more old light grey elements for the overall weathered effect. It is not a traditional approach for AT-AT MOCs but it is one of the other things that will set mine apart from others. Though rest assured, the right side of the body will be completely in light blueish gray (with exception for that old light grey window frame).

I agree with you. It is fault of the photos ;)

Could you take photo of that armor plate with minifigure ?

Edited by La Chupacabra

Excellent work and detail!

Thank you. With this I took it upon my self to set a high standard for this MOC and the others to follow, by endeavoring to capture every possible detail, correct angle, aspect superbly in LEGO.

I am very proud and actually astonished with it myself.

Didn't know that you can cramp so much details into that! :thumbup:

Since you are done with the MOC, can you please send it over to me! :laugh: :laugh:

Edited by Azrielsc

This is absolutely stunning! I realized you were a great Moc-er when you debuted your Snowspeeder (which I still wanna build), but this is leagues above it. All the shapes of the head are represented perfectly. The details you added are in great abundance, and really bring the model to the next level. Almost everything I could think of is represented there, including some of the more minute details. Details like those really bring out the model. I have high hopes that this will be the best AT-AT model ever created, which is a title I think it deserves. I would also like to take a moment to gush once more about your photography. If you can't tell, I'm a big fan :laugh: I absolutely love the mid section as well, specifically the pale stripe. It provides the perfect break from the monotony of the LBG. I almost even like that color better than LBG :laugh: I really can't wait to see this all come together. It's gonna be one of the best Mocs I've ever seen, for sure. Good luck with your building!

Edited by GuyDudeMan27

looking pretty nicehere are suggestions for the body's pimples, and ladderBumps.png

What's this assembly btw?

what.jpg

Edited by anothergol