thehornedrat

UCS Poe's X-Wing 10240

Hello Brickers, I am a long time lurker, but this is my first MOC that I've decided to share with the community, so be kind!

I have not seen anyone attempting this, no doubt as we near Christmas we'll see more Poe's X-Wing MOCs being posted, so hopefully mine will be the first of many.

It took me around 3 weeks to complete the model. I was fiddling with some bows pieces, and managed to create a larger circle around 8 studs wide in diameter. I managed to shrink it down to around 7 studs wide for the engine intakes, which appears to be the right size I feel. Its fortunate that I also have just about enough black pieces to complete it! Sourcing the parts were the worst part. I only need those 3x12 bow piece at the bottom, which the Brickset database mistakenly labelled at 3x10 and I ordered the wrong size off Bricklink. No matter, easily fixed.

Designing and building the wings were also time consuming, and I don't know how to use LDD. I'm pleased in the end, the wing can come off in one piece once completed, and attaches comfortably once I replaced the 9L beams with technic 4L bricks, although they are still quite fragile. I'm also very pleased my exhaust solution. Inspiration from the F40!

Is this thing swooshable? Definitely not.

I have tried to stay as closely as possible to the 'resource' material (reference links below), but as we know, LEGO's versions of the X-Wing were also imperfect, ie the engines are too small and the fuselage is too long.

I am not a very experienced MOCcer. Ideally the height of the T-70 X-Wing's main body is sleeker, around a stud or 2 shorter, but looking at the 10240's foil mechanism, I don't think you'll be able to abduct the wings fully.

Introducing UCS Poe's X-wing, based on the 10240.

22358423771_69733c0481_b.jpgDSC_0087_resize by The Horned, on Flickr

22160905599_99569265ac_b.jpgDSC_0085_resize by The Horned, on Flickr

22159016900_a0019c4aca_b.jpgDSC_0088_resize by The Horned, on Flickr

X-Wings on the prowl. A beautiful sight.

21725964893_34fdf46418_b.jpgDSC_0094_resize by The Horned, on Flickr

21725967353_066300a319_b.jpg

Do the wings close as it should? Yup.

22334024202_976bc2ba33_b.jpgDSC_0097_resize by The Horned, on Flickr

22321029996_38ab6b400b_b.jpgDSC_0095_resize by The Horned, on Flickr

22159306308_f94b6590f4_b.jpgDSC_0098_resize by The Horned, on Flickr

22347039535_cf038863dd_b.jpgDSC_0100_resize by The Horned, on Flickr

22160182449_b63cbf591b_b.jpgDSC_0099_resize by The Horned, on Flickr

Enjoy! Feedback appreciated. Ask me anything.

References:

http://expandedart.d...tart.com/art/�� #xwing

http://www.videocopi...p?f=14&t=122815

http://leblogduxwing.canalblog.com/

Fantastic...love how the s-foils come together instead of laying on top of each other.

I wasn't a fan of the offset design, still not completely, but seeing your mod puts it in a different light. If you're going to offset them, might as well have them be on the same plane when closed. What about you, did you like the offset when you first saw it?

If you have the time, how about a profile shot from the side or the front?

I really love your mod (and quite some dedication, a UCS sized mod), but man, i really dont like the split-wing design of the new T70, every time i start to warm to the idea of a new X-wing i see the Split wings and shake my head.

Kudos on the MOD!

Good job. :)

But Poe's X-Wing wings are not like this.

2015-03-19-starwars-7-details-x-wing-01.jpg

Wings are supposed to be bigger

Good job. :)

But Poe's X-Wing wings are not like this.

(x)

Wings are supposed to be bigger

I agree, the wings should be bigger because the original 10240's fuselage is too long. I tried to keep the scale of the wings the same as the 10240, hence they do seem small. I also think the wings may actually be too small as well, and am thinking of increasing it by a stud width wise when I have more time. Its the same length-wise as the 10240, at 23 studs long. In case anyone was wondering I did notice the lack of greebling at the back there of the T-70, but I do love greebling and so kept the T-65 greebling.

Unfortunately LEGO do not have semicircular plates or bricks, even at 7 stud diameter. I left out the silver detail on the engine air intakes.

Wow ! Realy nice work there ! Will you be sharing LDD / Instructions ?

I am pleased to do a teardown of the wing if enough people ask for it! And then hopefully improvements can be made :) It's a nightmare to make it then take it apart again.

This is the picture I use as a reference.

22351509305_b5007be3a8.jpg106744143_o by The Horned, on Flickr

from the http://leblogduxwing.canalblog.com/ website.

on the T-65, the engine intake takes up 20-25% the length of the wing while on the T-70, the engine intake takes 30% to 33% of the wing's length. Mine are 7-8 studs wide. I tried to keep to scale here too. On the 7191 and the 10240, the engines should thus be 5 studs wide at least instead of being 4 studs wide currently. LEGO just don't have the right pieces. I recall when FBTB reviewed the 10240 on release they also noted that the 10240 wasn't sized proportionally with respect to the engine size and fuselage length.

Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming good or bad, like life, there's always room for improvement!

Edited by thehornedrat

Fantastic! Only thing i would do different is make the engine nozzles a little bigger as they seem too thin in comparison to the ship, otherwise stunning!

Edited by All in the Reflexes

Nice MOC, but the laser cannons are suppose to been in gray with some black on it, not coloured in all black.

Edited by ArmstrongYong

Very cool. You beat me to it. I've started on the wings but haven't wrapped my head around the engines just yet. I'm hoping to finish mine by BrickUniverse Dallas

21556746104_ac3b4bd789_c.jpg

I've redone the guns since this picture, but the ones I have are pretty flimsy. I'm not sure they'll stand up to an opening/closing mechanism

Edited by goatman461

Thank you everyone for your input!

I have been doing night shifts recently, hence I did not have time to work on my model until the past few days.

The wings do look small. I have enlarged the wings on the L side of the model, as you can see below:

22755430031_26d51d7edf_b.jpgDSC_0118 by The Horned, on Flickr

(mind the dirty floor! I apologise for the poor picture quality, I don't have a photography studio like some of you lot!

I have increased the wing size on the left side by 3 studs, offsetting the lower wing into the engine 'slope' by a stud for a net gain of 2 studs in length, which appears more to scale now. I have also increased the width where the lower wing attaches to the engine slope to 5 studs from 4, which also looks according to scale from the reference pictures. I have thus correspondingly reduced the slope on the front side to 4 studs, as you can see on the right wing, which remained unchanged (this is a bit tricky to see, but you can clearly see that the new left wing i now thicker than the original right wing.

Addit: the left wing is now 14 studs in length (15, if you include the row of studs under the engine, vs 12 for the original right side. The widths remain the same. I tried to adjust the engine slopes, making them shorter, but I couldn't at this point, gaps start to appear which I can't fill. I'll keep on working on this. The left wing looks better in this regard as well.

As for the lower wing, I have reduced its width respectively to 4 studs from the original 5, as you can see.

I think this looks much better, your feedback will be much appreciated! Note, its still not complete, for example, it looks like I need to shorten the length of the guns of the lower wings etc.

PS:

If you have the time, how about a profile shot from the side or the front?

I will take profile shots soon, when I have time and when the daytime lighting is good (as it had also been very cloudy and rainy over the past 1-2 weeks here in Brisbane, Oz).

Interestingly, I note that there is a noticeable gap between the upper and lower wings when they are closed, between the left and right sides (ie, when viewing the 10240 from the front, there is a larger gap on the left side compared with the right) even in the original 10240. This had also affected my MOC as well, as you will soon see!

Nice MOC, but the laser cannons are suppose to been in gray with some black on it, not coloured in all black.

True that, I'm somewhat torn between going all the way black, or making it more accurate with the DBG. We'll see!

Edited by thehornedrat

I just ordered Poe's version of the x-wing microfighter to understand the bricklink website & cost.

I was wondering if theres a bricklist or guide to build for this UCS set so I can build this beauty too!?

i found changin colors on the website was quite easy so even thinking of a resistance version :D