Sign in to follow this  
tatertots

New York city sized mosaic

Finally done! 6 months ago I started this project hoping it would meet expectations. Like any large project it was a real roller coaster but a great build in the end.

Building process was classic:

Stage 1) This is going to be awesome

Stage 2) Bricklink, BRICKLINK, BRICKLINK!!!

Stage 3) Oh crap... what have I gotten myself into

Stage 4) Rethink. Develop methodical plan

Stage 5) Build, build, build

Stage 6) Yipee!!! Done :laugh:

22122799810_d36eabf11c.jpg

High res photos on flickr

https://www.flickr.c...157659697395628

Photos of the build over time:

22320689522_4b152c8cc1.jpg

The challenge here was to divide the project up such that it would fit through doors. The foundation is built on a thin sheet of plywood with 1/4" strips on the back to provide some rigidity.

22333647625_cd534c6ec2.jpg

Here you can see two panels lined up next to each other including the grid I used to help keep me oriented to the space. I used several different online programs to convert the mosaic to bricks to help with the anchor points. In the end I found those programs only useful for the anchor points.

22123241998_fef27a6455.jpg

Here you can see us moving the completed panels to the final locations. Each panel weighed around 50-60 lbs.

The completed project with me in there for scale - roughly 8ft high - 16 ft across

22310853395_72b7c5026c.jpg

Link to video with working lights:

WIP: New York city mosiac - lights Part I

and I can't say enough about the value of an awesome electrician!!!

Photo of the wiring behind this:

23549414462_491b3489b6.jpg

Edited by tatertots

That looks awesome ! Congrats for the work put in that mosaic, all the details are great :thumbup:. How many pieces are there ?

This is so huge. How many baseplates ?

Lovely job on this mosaic very colorfull and just how i would imagine New York by night. :classic:

^^I counted for a while but then I started using all different shapes 1x1, 1x2, 1x10, 2x4 etc and lost count. Needless to say it's a lot. Close to 200K studs to cover.

It's impressive, no doubt, and a great rendition, but it's not the size of New York City.

^Glad you like it! Personally I like the statue of liberty and the fireworks behind her best. Do you have a favorite part?

I love it... As some said this is the most amazing mosaic I ever saw. This is truly a piece of art.

Favorite part: The bridge which gives some perspective to the mosaic.

Second favorite, the rendition of the Coca Cola sign.

Does the theme come from an existing picture or it was completely invented by you?

Wow, I only just got a sense of scale when I saw the photo of two people carrying just one panel, this is epic and so eye-catching, I want one on my wall!

^Getting comfortable with the scale was definitely an adjustment and took some rethinking on my part. I have done poster sized projects but that planning/implimentation skill set didn't translate perfectly. The nice thing about LEGO is that it's pretty forgiving while you're learning. Worst case scenario you set yourself back an hour to take things apart and try something new :-)

Really impressive! Nice mosaic, and I like that it is so colourful, a bit like popart, and not trying to look too photographic. How do the lights look like in the mosaic (when the lights are on)? Do you have a photo of that?

I think HUGE is too small a word :classic: ... Very nicely done! You should get in contact with "The Late Show" (Colbert?) and see if you can get some TV coverage of this. I think your mural would be right up his alley.