Sign in to follow this  
anothergol

[MOC - WIP] BAT-STie

Started as an idea at the end of my AT-ST's thread, here's a WIP of a mashup in the same vein as the cool snowspeeder/AT-ST MOC (https://www.flickr.c...157626538023574), this one is an AT-ST, a Tie (Inquisitor's), and also the Batsign, hence the fitting name!

BAT-STie.jpg

Still quite some work, it needs ears, a landing gear, etc

Edit: final version:

Edited by anothergol

Fascinating creation!

I am fond of the initial smoothness, though I assume you are going to revisit to add a bunch of little details in some places?

Love to see more views of this—the curvature of the wings appears intriguing!

This is really nice! The techniques you used really do give it a bat symbol kinda look. Great MOC! :)

I love the entire thing - it looks totally badass.

I like how the head looks nearly like the one on your AT-ST - but not quite.

I especially like the wings. They actually LOOK like the wings on the Inquisitor's TIE, unlike the lumpen things on the official set.

This is soo ugly... its actually really cute! It really works with the design too!

As lilme said, Id love to see this from more angles, and with the more touches to it you intend to do.

Thanks for the comments

The wings are hinged using these 2x4 plates:

wings3.jpg

Of course, still a render, but 2 friction pins per segment should be enough. There are no stoppers so it'll probably be a pita to curve, but this also means that I'll be able to curve it any way I want (& also rotate the wings), and have fully flat ones.

Head now has a bat-like nose and ears.

I so wish Lego brought back these "better" hinges:

http://www.holgermat...t-example-9.png

sure, I have broken a few when I was a kid, but all Lego had to do was to make them 1/3 large fingers, instead of 3/5. The fingers broke because they were too thin.

I couldn't find a proper Tie Inquisitor blueprint, but from what I see from a Hasbro toy, the wing's curve isn't symmetrical, and that would be quite hard to do in Lego, luckily I don't have to be accurate here.

Edit: doh! that 2x4 hinge part, its bottom counter part exists in black, it does exist in black in the LDD, there's also an old rare mold of it in black, BUT that specific one doesn't exist in black :(

I'll have to find something else or the inner part of the wings will have to be grey.

Edited by anothergol

Here with grey plates, less batty, but still ok. But this also means that you can't use this trick to get 2-plates thick proper official Tie wings, as the interior should be all black.

wings4.jpg

That looks well cool, hope someone adds the wings to their TIE Advanced.

Edited by belkor

Nice!

I honestly would prefer the light gray hinge plates—I think it highlights the handy use of these elements and portrays an interesting contrast in the color scheme (like the contrasting black panel in the middle of the wings.

The ears are a nice touch too. I assume the practical function are as some kind of sensor array, comms array, or targeting systems?

I've added more touches while waiting for the parts (& this means new orders again),

BAT-STie_Anim2.gif

and I'm hesitating with these alternate eyes:

Tie_EyesTest.jpg

Looks really awesome, I like it a lot.

You used there a lot of interesting special parts to manage the bending of the wings.

The color scheme is also a big plus.

I haven't seen a picture of the cockpit so far, would you like to post one some time? :)

Kind regards,

Scorch

Thanks

The interior is pretty much the same as in my AT-ST, only with different consoles, and has the same problem that it can't be fully "seen". If I render it, there is no printed console, and if you open the thing to see it, you move the front hood which holds parts of the consoles, thus it simply can't be seen with the naked eye, other than by removing the side panels.

..which is why I investigated doing more interesting stuff inside, like having light bricks, but eventually I placed one on the display base (which is now done). Another idea was to control the rotation of the end wings (they rotate, I'll make a render) using a pull-back motor, but the wings are pretty busy inside for an axle through everything.

Just like in my AT-ST, it seats 2:

BAT-STie_Interior.jpg

Edited by anothergol

I am fond of the red highlights and other touches you made to the back.

I prefer the eyes above, but just with the trans-black panels, so the pilots can see and can be seen through the cockpit.

Light bricks could be a nice touch, well, I am think of the red ones that is, so I don't know if you can somehow squish those in.

..meaning that it will be possible to flatten & rotate the wings & guns like this (even if I only bother once for a picture):

BAT_STie_Flat.jpg

BlueRender is really a nice tool - takes a minute to render what would have taken a day in POVRay

I am fond of the red highlights and other touches you made to the back.

I prefer the eyes above, but just with the trans-black panels, so the pilots can see and can be seen through the cockpit.

Light bricks could be a nice touch, well, I am think of the red ones that is, so I don't know if you can somehow squish those in.

Sadly I can't really fit the glass panels with the smaller eyes, they collide with the side panels a little (for this same reason, my AT-ST can't fully close its eyelids, btw).

Also, minifigs can't be seen (in the AT-ST, thus it'll be the same deal here), it's all black, unless you look inside with a torchlight.

The only way to see the minifigs isinde would be a light brick, but I couldn't find a way to have one inside in an effective way, without taking one seat.

Otherwise, it does work, I've done it in the past, and it's pretty cool to see a minifig's head light up inside a cockpit that's normally all black:

14399702421_DISPLAY.jpg

Aw, oh well… It will still look impressive nevertheless.

Though maybe you could somehow conceal the light brick below the cockpit and the light would be shooting up… Never mind it doesn't look like you could as compared to the image of the inside.

BlueRender sounds like a useful tool. Being a Mac user, I read that is probably possible, though still have not figured it out yet.

After too many weeks (mainly waiting for the parts - Belgian post had been on strike) & things going wrong, I'm now finished with it.

I wish the interior of the wings was black, but maybe one day those parts will exist in black.

23127901971_4ed888a7a4_z_d.jpg

22724169109_285703a21e_z_d.jpg

22493713134_6270f458a4_z_d.jpg

https://www.flickr.c...th/22493722034/

Edited by anothergol