Oky

Ratchet & Clank Movie and Game Discussion

A full length trailer for the Ratchet & Clank movie was recently released:

There will also be a game for the PS4 based on this movie (which is based on the original game).

Any thoughts? I think it looks pretty good. It has the same silly humor as the games, the same voice actors in the lead roles (even though they are hardly credited :hmpf_bad: ), the same look and everything. However, it's a shame that they seem to be rebooting the series, even though the story seems to be mostly the same. I guess the focus here is more on introducing a new generation to the series than to appeal to the old fans.

I played most of the games and enjoyed them quite a bit, although I always preferred Jak & Daxter and am a little sad that that series died while R&C continues, but I'm glad we at least get more R&C, even if it's a reboot. I think my favorite game was Up Your Arsenal.

I really wish Lego would have opted to make sets based on this videogame movie instead of Angry Birds. This would have produced some really cool sets, minifigs, and parts. Oh well. :sadnew:

What do you think?

Uhm. I found the trailer to be so dull I didn't bother watching the whole thing.

I played one of the games, but never fell in love with it - Jax & Daxter was indeed much better.

I agree, I think R&C's downfall was the heavy focus on shooting everything, whilst story elements fell far to the wayside.

I think what could really reboot the R&C franchise is if this new game's story extends in various directions past that of the movie (ie. before, during, after)

Will definitely be a problem if the movie mimics the game and vice versa, to the point that they're not separatable...

Just my thoughts though...

Uhm. I found the trailer to be so dull I didn't bother watching the whole thing.

I played one of the games, but never fell in love with it - Jax & Daxter was indeed much better.

Agreed!

Why can't movies be original? This is just the same old "loser becomes star/saves the world" thing, it's just ratchet and clank. And the humor combined with the visual style just makes it even more generic. I won't be checking it out, wouldn't be surprised if it stays true to the tradition of generally bad movies based off video games either.

Why can't movies be original? This is just the same old "loser becomes star/saves the world" thing, it's just ratchet and clank. And the humor combined with the visual style just makes it even more generic. I won't be checking it out, wouldn't be surprised if it stays true to the tradition of generally bad movies based off video games either.

They would have to do a really bad job for a Ratchet & Clank movie not to work. It's pretty much ready made for a cinematic film.

Oh, there's quite a bit that can go wrong........ That hopefully won't.

Can't have too much more of my childhood ruined!

I'm looking at you Godzilla, Transformers, Spiderman, and TMNT

Oh, there's quite a bit that can go wrong........ That hopefully won't.

Can't have too much more of my childhood ruined!

I'm looking at you Godzilla, Transformers, Spiderman, and TMNT

I'd say Transformers and TMNT were more of a gamble though. Ratchet & Clank already has the ingredients to make a brilliant animated film.

They would have to do a really bad job for a Ratchet & Clank movie not to work. It's pretty much ready made for a cinematic film.

So, Ratchet and Clank is already too cliche? I didn't get that feel watching gameplay.

If Ratchet and Clank was cliche before, it's even more now. The visual style and animation along with the style of jokes are too cliche. The story is WAY to cliche as well. It's just "Loser to star" + some cliche heartwarmers. Everyone's watching it just because it's Ratchet and Clank. Since this is a PS game, I was expecting extremely detailed fur on Ratchet (close ups) and Clank being very shiny with realistic robotic animation, not cartoony-like robot animation. Those do exist in animated films.

But what do I know? Maybe the games ARE as cliche as this. I've never played. But I do know that this will NOT be what brings me into RaC.

Edited by gamejutzu

I think the main problem here is that nobody ever played the R&C games for the story (although the stories got better in the "R&C Future" games). It's more about the puzzle solving, platforming, and shooting. The story is always the generic "bad guy wants to take over/destroy the universe and the heroes stop him" routine. In fact, this is the problem with videogame movies in general. Videogames usually have pretty simple stories and the focus is more on the gameplay. In short, games are meant to be played, not watched. But if you just want to see a 90 minute cutscene, this movie will give you just that.

While I do think this is a faithful adaptation of the game, I'm not very interested in it. I never really liked the humor in the R&C games (one of the reasons why I liked Jak & Daxter better) and this movie seems to be full of that. I also would have preferred if they would have come up with a new, original story than to just adapt the first game, but I can understand that they want to tell the origin story for those who are not familiar with the games. I'm sure kids will like the movie fine, so maybe if it does well, we will get a better story in the sequel.

Since this is a PS game, I was expecting extremely detailed fur on Ratchet (close ups) and Clank being very shiny with realistic robotic animation, not cartoony-like robot animation. Those do exist in animated films.

If they were going to make it look realistic, they would completely change the feel of R&C. R&C is very much a playable cartoon where the cartoony look is meant to compliment the juvenile humor. This style may be the norm now, but it wasn't back when the series started. Making Clank look like a realistic robot would be getting into Transformers territory which would be terrible. In fact, Michael Bay was considered for making a live-action adaptation of the game at one point, but that concept got scrapped for good reason.

But what do I know? Maybe the games ARE as cliche as this. I've never played. But I do know that this will NOT be what brings me into RaC.

Yes, as I've pointed out above, this is pretty much how the games are. It's the fun gameplay and likable characters that make them good. I can definitely recommend checking out one of the older games first. They're actually very similar to the Lego games.

So, Ratchet and Clank is already too cliche? I didn't get that feel watching gameplay.

If Ratchet and Clank was cliche before, it's even more now. The visual style and animation along with the style of jokes are too cliche. The story is WAY to cliche as well. It's just "Loser to star" + some cliche heartwarmers. Everyone's watching it just because it's Ratchet and Clank. Since this is a PS game, I was expecting extremely detailed fur on Ratchet (close ups) and Clank being very shiny with realistic robotic animation, not cartoony-like robot animation. Those do exist in animated films.

I wouldn't really recommend watching a videogame movie to get into a videogame anyway. You'll benefit more from any videogame film if you've played the videogame first.

If they were going to make it look realistic, they would completely change the feel of R&C. R&C is very much a playable cartoon where the cartoony look is meant to compliment the juvenile humor. This style may be the norm now, but it wasn't back when the series started. Making Clank look like a realistic robot would be getting into Transformers territory which would be terrible. In fact, Michael Bay was considered for making a live-action adaptation of the game at one point, but that concept got scrapped for good reason.

I didn't mean that. I meant, make Clank look a bit shinier than he is in the movie, where he's dull shiny instead of "shiny" shiny. He looks like it in the game trailers, but not in the actual game. Maybe it's the graphical issue, but it's there.

I also didn't mean make him "realistic" realistic, but make him move in a way that makes him look like a realistic animated robot rather than a cartoony animated robot. There's more than one kind of animated robot. Right now, Clank moves quick and... Well.. Cartoony.. It's like that "bleep blop click clunk" kind of thing. I did not have Transformers in mind when thinking of this.

By the way, I'm not trying to stir trouble or anything, it's just that I was bothered by this trend animated movies are getting into, and I was honestly expecting RaC to look different from those (and be blown away by it's visuals...).

I wouldn't really recommend watching a videogame movie to get into a videogame anyway. You'll benefit more from any videogame film if you've played the videogame first.

A bunch of kids and mainstreamers (who didn't play) are going to be watching and are probably going to buy the games as well. And if there is a movie that's off a book or game I want to watch, I usually read up on it (for book) or play the game or read up on a wiki (for game).

Edited by gamejutzu

I didn't mean that. I meant, make Clank look a bit shinier than he is in the movie, where he's dull shiny instead of "shiny" shiny. He looks like it in the game trailers, but not in the actual game. Maybe it's the graphical issue, but it's there.

Eh?

Clank has always looked like that in the games.

I also didn't mean make him "realistic" realistic, but make him move in a way that makes him look like a realistic animated robot rather than a cartoony animated robot.

Why?

You've said it yourself: it's an animated film. It's not supposed to be realistic.

There's more than one kind of animated robot. Right now, Clank moves quick and... Well.. Cartoony.. It's like that "bleep blop click clunk" kind of thing. I did not have Transformers in mind when thinking of this.

To me, Ratchet & Clank has always been 'cartoony'. Captain Quark is like he's stepped right out of a Looney Tunes cartoon and in my opinion, it works.

A bunch of kids and mainstreamers (who didn't play) are going to be watching and are probably going to buy the games as well. And if there is a movie that's off a book or game I want to watch, I usually read up on it (for book) or play the game or read up on a wiki (for game).

You can hardly complain then if a movie based on something you've never actually experienced yourself doesn't look good. This film isn't for you, it's for kids and those of us who have played the Ratchet & Clank games.

You can hardly complain then if a movie based on something you've never actually experienced yourself doesn't look good. This film isn't for you, it's for kids and those of us who have played the Ratchet & Clank games.

Alright then, you win. Seems fair that I don't like these kinds of tropes, and I shouldn't make others try and agree. It's just that watching the game trailers and gameplay, it felt cartoony but not as much as the movie is making it.

I guess you guys could tell me what you thought about the movie after it shows, then.

Alright then, you win. Seems fair that I don't like these kinds of tropes, and I shouldn't make others try and agree. It's just that watching the game trailers and gameplay, it felt cartoony but not as much as the movie is making it.

I guess you guys could tell me what you thought about the movie after it shows, then.

I'm just saying: it makes more sense to play the game first, then comment on the trailer. I wouldn't watch a film based on something without looking at the thing it's based on first.

I wouldn't watch a film based on something without looking at the thing it's based on first.

That might be your opinion, but it's not the only opinion. I watch movies based on stuff I've no interest in looking into in their original form. If they're good movies, they work because they're good movies. The first couple Resident Evil movies are a good example - I'd never played the video games (which I don't think have much to do with the films anyway), but those are good, enjoyable films on their own. That's not to mention the countless films based on books I've never read. Films should stand alone, in my opinion.

Some of the points being raised about this trailer resonate with me. It just looks quite bland. The graphics also look more like they belong in a video game than on the big screen in today's day and age, when CG animated films can have a high level of detail, texture, and lighting. Turning video game properties into by-the-books, cliche stories tends not to work, even if that was the story in the video game (which I don't know here, since I've never played the video games).

I'm just saying: it makes more sense to play the game first, then comment on the trailer. I wouldn't watch a film based on something without looking at the thing it's based on first.

I'm not really into the shoot em' up games though. Even if there are good puzzles.