ELItheICEman

RCX / Power Functions Controlled 8479 Code Pilot Truck

A while back I was Pouring over Blakbird's Technicopdia (again), I was enamored by the old Code Pilot Truck from 1997. I never realized the complexity of the model from just drooling over Lego Shop-At-Home catalogs. I decided then and there that I would build it. Initially I debated on buying the code pilot and associated bar code pad, but never made good on this. I ordered the 20L Flex Cables, and surprisingly few parts (Ok I cheated on a couple of pieces), and I had my code pilot dump truck (complete with 2 motors!).

I used an RCX to control the dump / arm motor, and used the same control scheme as the original model. Either of the two touch sensors on the same port runs the motor for about 11 seconds. So why stop there? I decided to do a quick RC addon to the model. I added a Power Functions IR Receiver to control the motor for the driven axle, and added another motor for steering. A few converter cables where necessary to blend the old and new elements. The IR Receiver is powered by two "ganged" ports on the RCX. In order to power an IR receiver using the standard converter cable you must use the Power Functions Battery Pack (with no batteries) to get power through to the correct wires. With little space and a battery pack full of corrosion I decided to use just the top plug and a 2 wire jumper.

Of course, it didn't happen...Without Pics

Lizard-0120_zpschiu2ym1.jpg

Lizard-0133_zpsz5eiwuau.jpg

Lizard-0129_zpsmtavrffz.jpg

Lizard-0131_zpsmpdqwjtx.jpg

Looks good. This model is designed for two motors to begin with, which makes you wonder why they didn't include a second output on the code pilot.

A really nice interpretation! How well does it work and how do you like it?

Wuau i like colour yellow in this set, nice remake, no have video?

A really nice interpretation! How well does it work and how do you like it?

I will answer both of these questions with one answer. We tried to shoot a quick video of the model but the touch sensor on the front of the model wasn't respond well to hitting the tire. I have a short video of failed attempts and much laughter, driving back and forth against the tire only to have the arm close just above the tire. The pictures were also taken very hastily, my brother was filling in as photographer with only a few minutes before he had to leave. My usual method involves the camera on my tablet and disappointing quality.

That is not to say it's a bad model, I was very impressed with it. I literally avoided "spoiler" videos online to see one in action in person. The RC element only enhances the play-ability. I haven't touched this model in a while due to lack of time. I plan on swapping the touch sensor (maybe the 2x4 yellow one from the DACTA line?), or at least playing with the threshold to get it right.

Also, anyone have any ideas on how to make an RCX mimic the original code pilot and make the engine noises? if you don't know what I am talking about check out this link for an explanation