Schwizzle

Need opinions/advice on custom stand for Tydirium 75094

Hey everyone. I'm trying to design a custom stand for the new Tydirium shuttle, set 75094. One utilizes a 4x4 transparent column using transparent 1x2's with a 2x2 transparent blue core, and the other utilizes an H pattern with the sides of the H being the transparent 1x2's and the 2x2 core being a mix of black and transparent blue 1x2's. I have LXF files, but they are too big to upload both? Not sure how to get around that.

I think I'm partial to the H pattern...but then I go back to seeing the square column as eye catching too, especially if I could work an LED or two into that stand.

Thanks for any comments/suggestions!

22105075070_34be47b763_c.jpg

22267084936_a8a9fc092f_c.jpg

3. 21672073433_87b8a52136_c.jpg

4. 21672073533_c52d4b8fa5_c.jpg

Edited by Schwizzle

One or another, both are super fragile (unless you kragle them together...) You really need a rigid boom with good connection to the pad. Use of long technic bricks or liftarms is almost inevitable, especially with big model like this one.

The stand itself looks nice, but the structure of both stands are very fragile. I suggest you to use Technic liftarms and bricks to build the stand. For the concept, you can see my own UCS Style stand MOC for some idea:

21406943016_2e38fa412c_z.jpg Custom UCS style display stand by Armstrong X-Wing, on Flickr

Here's the stand on picture up there with my own T-70 X-Wing MOC placed on it:

21415757851_9ab7b22ec3_z.jpg T-70 with custom UCS style stand by Armstrong X-Wing, on Flickr

Hope this post helps.

The stand itself looks nice, but the structure of both stands are very fragile. I suggest you to use Technic liftarms and bricks to build the stand. For the concept, you can see my own UCS Style stand MOC for some idea:

*snip*

Hope this post helps.

One or another, both are super fragile (unless you kragle them together...) You really need a rigid boom with good connection to the pad. Use of long technic bricks or liftarms is almost inevitable, especially with big model like this one.

Thanks for the suggestions and sample images. I did think it was fragile, but I've heard of the clear bricks being used for stands before and I'm not sure exactly how "they" do it with such a fragile framework (rather nonexistent).

I will have to research how long technic pieces get to get the height required, or just experiment with putting technic beams together.

Edited by Lobot
: Please don't quote images, thanks :-)

I will have to research how long technic pieces get to get the height required, or just experiment with putting technic beams together.

For the technic built, I can suggest you to take a look at some of the Star Wars UCS sets like 10240, 75095, 10129 and more and take some inspiration from the way those stands on UCS sets are been built. Happy building!

Edited by ArmstrongYong

For the technic built, I can suggest you to take a look at some of the Star Wars UCS sets like 10240, 75095, 10129 and more and take some inspiration from the way those stands on UCS sets are been built. Happy building!

Well guys, I feel really silly. I totally forgot that it's a hinge plate on the bottom of the shuttle and can't be load bearing. It's because I never open it since I have R2 and C3PO on top of the hinge plate to make room for Luke and Leia.

Will check out the stands from the UCS sets; thanks again.

Edited by Schwizzle

Okay, I think this is going to work pretty well. I modified the UCS Tydirium shuttle stand by shortening the vertical beams and modifying the platform to match the bottom of the shuttle. I borrowed from Lonestar's design for the section that goes into the recessed area under the shuttle; Lonestar's MOC page: http://www.mocpages....moc.php/413733

I had to remove the landing gear however for it to fit on there....which, the stand is meant for flight mode...so I think it looks better anyway. If I want to display it grounded I will add the gear back on.

I've attached the LXF model for y'all to play with. If you come up with any more ideas, feel free to share!

22346426555_a4b47ab1b3_z.jpg

21723655794_8a5d0d0549_z.jpg

22159863339_18ca123653_z.jpg

75094 ucs stand final.lxf

This is what I put together pretty quickly. The base could look nicer, but I've since added a few more tiles. It's a bit wobbly due to the height, but no worse than the UCS X-wing stand.

It's tiled on the top section so it just sits nicely on the frame of the shuttle and less so on the hinged door. I wanted to fill the gap so it didn;t move around on the stand, but can be easily lifted off. Excuse the rubbish mobile pic. Also need to swap out that grey piece for a black one.

CA7A86D2-F553-49B5-B4AC-956D6EBE7723_zpsxn1vmtpm.jpg

Edited by will

This is what I put together pretty quickly. The base could look nicer, but I've since added a few more tiles. It's a bit wobbly due to the height, but no worse than the UCS X-wing stand.

It's tiled on the top section so it just sits nicely on the frame of the shuttle and less so on the hinged door. I wanted to fill the gap so it didn;t move around on the stand, but can be easily lifted off. Excuse the rubbish mobile pic. Also need to swap out that grey piece for a black one.

Thanks. I definitely like how it is topped off with smooth tiles. It also looks like it requires less pieces, which is a plus.

I think if you copy the top section (it fits really nicely in the base of the shuttle) you can then do what ever you want with the shaft and base. Thankfully the shuttle is quite well balanced, so you don't have to be exact trying to balance it all.

Top section is 6 wide on the edge, 4 wide in the middle, and 5 studs deep.

I'll probably swap the middle technic beams at the bottom (to 8 long, instead of 6) next time I do a bricklink order to make it look better, but it's just what I had.

Edited by will

Hi, I am new here and have been looking for a stand for the shuttle. I figured out how to order individual bricks. Thats a start. This is my new hobby as I can't do Plastic modeling of tanks and airplanes anymore due to cost and exposure to chemicals. Others in house don't approve and its a rental. :/

So legos it is they are cool and calming to me. The builds just feel so short though compared to weeks of build, paint, and finishing in plastic models.

I have not bought the shuttle yet and want to display it in flight. The base shown is ok that is on the directed to website but the parts list won't download cause its some weird file.

Hi, I am new here and have been looking for a stand for the shuttle. I figured out how to order individual bricks. Thats a start. This is my new hobby as I can't do Plastic modeling of tanks and airplanes anymore due to cost and exposure to chemicals. Others in house don't approve and its a rental. :/

So legos it is they are cool and calming to me. The builds just feel so short though compared to weeks of build, paint, and finishing in plastic models.

I have not bought the shuttle yet and want to display it in flight. The base shown is ok that is on the directed to website but the parts list won't download cause its some weird file.

Hi Wraith223, and welcome to Eurobricks! I think it's better for you to introduce yourself at here first.

For ordering indivual parts, you can try Bricklink or TLG's Pick-A-Brick website to get more parts for MOC-making.

I have the parts list in PDF form, but I've reached my allotted space for uploading things, so I can't add it to this thread anymore. I will have to create a dropbox or something for you to access.

This is my custom stand. No technic pieces and nothing too fancy. But it holds it up nicely, not that distracting, and can also be used in landed mode just by pulling off the top part.

jJ5VSSy.jpg?1

IDE6lu0.jpg?1

rBhmBVd.jpg?1

Looks good! A lot more elegant than my quick solution. I see you've added a few extra tiles to the shuttle as well.

This is my custom stand. No technic pieces and nothing too fancy. But it holds it up nicely, not that distracting, and can also be used in landed mode just by pulling off the top part.

(Snip)

The stand looks good, but the structure is weak because of lacking in structural support. I suggest you to using technic pins and liftarms to support the whole structure of the stand. With additional support, the stand itself won't collapse by itself because of the weight of the model that putted on the stand.

The stand is actually sturdier than one might think. I've tried rocking and twisting it rather vigorously with the shuttle on top and it holds up well with very little wobble. The weight of the shuttle plays a big part in keeping the bricks together.

Of course the stand is not as sturdy as one made out of technic, but since I'm just displaying it at a flat angle, I don't really need it to have that level of sturdiness. I prefer to use bricks because they're much less visible compared to technic liftarms (even the clear ones). I also like the convenience of being easily able to remove the stand arm and use the base by itself for the shuttle's landing mode.

I was just really sharing the stand I was using, and not really recommending that anyone copy it. It's more of a proof of concept for the TC since I saw that he initially wanted to use clear bricks in his stand rather than technic.

I like your stand Archie can you give me a list of bricks to build it? I have no extra bricks to build stuff unless I go to the mall.

The stand is actually sturdier than one might think. I've tried rocking and twisting it rather vigorously with the shuttle on top and it holds up well with very little wobble. The weight of the shuttle plays a big part in keeping the bricks together.

Of course the stand is not as sturdy as one made out of technic, but since I'm just displaying it at a flat angle, I don't really need it to have that level of sturdiness. I prefer to use bricks because they're much less visible compared to technic liftarms (even the clear ones). I also like the convenience of being easily able to remove the stand arm and use the base by itself for the shuttle's landing mode.

I was just really sharing the stand I was using, and not really recommending that anyone copy it. It's more of a proof of concept for the TC since I saw that he initially wanted to use clear bricks in his stand rather than technic.

Thanks Archie. I LOVE your platform. It reminds me of the landing pad from Return of the Jedi (which would be cool to actually recreate). Is it a lot of 2x10 bricks underneath all the tiles? Wouldn't happen to have an LDD file for it would you?

I like your stand Archie can you give me a list of bricks to build it? I have no extra bricks to build stuff unless I go to the mall.

Thanks Archie. I LOVE your platform. It reminds me of the landing pad from Return of the Jedi (which would be cool to actually recreate). Is it a lot of 2x10 bricks underneath all the tiles? Wouldn't happen to have an LDD file for it would you?

Thanks guys. :classic:

Sorry, I don't have a parts list or an LDD file to share. But really, the only critical things you would need are:

Stand arm:

12 pcs 1x2x5 Trans-Clear Bricks

Top platform:

1 pc 4x6 Plate

1 pc 4x4 Plate

2 pcs 1x4 Tile

4 pcs 2x2 Tile OR 2 pcs 2x4 Tile

Base:

1 pc Plate (whatever size, but 8x8 would be the recommended minimum. I use a 16x16 mainly for decorative purposes)

Everything else, you can be as creative as you want :tongue:

I just wanted to reiterate once more that while this isn't as sturdy as a technic-based stand, you need not worry about it collapsing on itself even under reasonable shaking. It looks nicer than a technic stand too IMO.

BTW, I tried rearranging the layout of the stand a bit this morning so that it's more like a single column. While I think this looks better, it also looks kinda weird when the Shuttle isn't placed on it because it looks like a phallic symbol LOL... :cry_sad:

rIeFKtR.jpg?1

Edited by ArchieNov

what is an LDD file. Act as if I have no idea and am really new to this. Have no extra bricks. Thanks for the info so far.

LDD file is also called as a LXF file. An LXF file is a 3D model that created by Lego Digital Designer(A program that can used to creating virtual Lego models).

Wobble isn't the main concern, unless the model is to fragile. What I see as a problem is fragility of your column. Not even talking about the previous version which wouldnt widthstand any side to side torque. I know that this might seem ok as it has no problem with holding the weight but as soon as you apply any non horizontal force, this won't last. I.e. when you accidentaly hit or push the model on the stand. Of course, if you plan to display it in showcase, you may never regret the flimsy construction. Yet I wouldn't feel safe, even then :)

Well, all I can say is don't knock it till you've tried it. You might be surprised at how much horizontal force this thing can take and still hold together. Based on my own stress testing, the shuttle has a higher chance of falling off the top platform first (since I don't use any stud attachments) before the column even starts to show signs of collapsing from side to side shaking. I can even make a video to demonstrate this.

But again, this is just how I've displayed my shuttle. Never said it was the best solution nor is it for everyone. Just that it works sufficiently enough to meet my own comfort levels.

Archie your stand looks really cool

As long as you are just displaying it i dont think strength will be much of an issue as long as it can hold up the shuttle