Sven J

Next MOC: 1:33 GHH G7.1 (0-8-0) steam locomotive with PF

Hello AFOLS,

the next MOC I would like to share is this 1:33 scale 0-8-0 steam engine similar to the Prussian type G 7.1 (https://en.wikipedia.../Prussian_G_7.1). The "Gutehoffnungshütte" (GHH) colliery and iron works company in my home town Oberhausen, Germany, had a total of 13 of these simple and reliable locomotives, which differed from the Prussian State Railways engines by having a slightly increased boiler pressure and therefore being a bit more powerful. They were used for hauling ore trains from the Rhine harbour in Walsum to the iron works as well as for pulling shuttle trains for the GHH workers. Sadly, none of the GHH G 7.1 locomotives has survived.

Finally, I moved into an apartment where I have room for a track layout, so the model features two PF L-motors, a rechargeable battery pack and a V2 IR receiver. As I wanted to create a highly detailed frame for the locomotive, all PF components are squeezed into the tender; to achieve this, while still retaining a realistic outer shape, was quite a challenge, but I think I found a very satisfying solution. The drivetrain layout enables the engine to reach a true-to-scale maximum speed of about 0,5 m/s, which is equivalent to approx. 60 km/h.

As the prototype had Allan valve gear inside the frame, only the main and side rods are visible on the model, too (for German steam engines, it's quite unusual to have the side rods painted black, but it's authentic for this particular prototype).

The model runs on standard LGB track (45 mm) and is capable of negotiating R3 curves and switches. The distance between locomotive and tender can be adjusted (the photos show the prototypic close-coupled adjustment suitable for display).

I used a few non-LEGO-parts: BBB XL drivers (engine), BBB L drivers (tender), rubber band around the smokebox door, thin PVC washers on the crankpins (to prevent the side rod bearings from jamming at the wheel rim), and homemade stickers.

And now the pictures:

1000x666.jpg

1000x450.jpg

500x750.jpg

1000x533.jpg

Not quite purist, but I like this photo:

1000x533.jpg

The engine frame, showing leaf springs and brake rigging:

900x533.jpg

900x533.jpg

A glimpse of the cab interior:

800x600.jpg

Boiler backhead:

800x600.jpg

Tender internals:

800x533.jpg

More and larger pictures can be found here.

Finally, here is a video link for those of you who would like to see the model in action. I apologize for the poor quality, but unfortunately I do not have a tripod.

Some rolling stock will come soon.

Best regards,

Sven

Once again, I'm blown away. What more can I say? This is fantastic. Really makes me want to try G-gauge.

Dan-147

Can't say more then wonderful! The details are wonderful! Also very compact in the tender. And I love all those little details like the bucket in the tender or the little valves in the cab!

Really wonderfull. I love the detailed boiler and the way you realize the tender suspensions system.This is the confirmation that, for selected model, a exact scale building is possible. Obviously the great step to another track system helps a lot; in a 1:32 or 1:30 scale the realtive dimensions are better reproduced with Lego bricks and, above all, you have an enormous choice in track geometries. You'll face the disappointment of purists but, since Lego seems to have dropped out of train track system I think the change will be mandatory. Only one thing, since you use non Lego parts, why don't you think to upgrade the rods of your loks? you can make them by yourself or to buy from the market, many Afols do that.

sincerely Sergio and Eros

Edited by monai

Only one thing, since you use non Lego parts, why don't you think to upgrade the rods of your loks? you can make them by yourself or to buy from the market, many Afols do that.

Thank you very much for your appreciation! Well, you may call it a personal quirk of mine; but while I quickly accepted using BBB wheels, simply because there’s no real alternative, I took it as a challenge to build the rods with genuine LEGO parts only. I know there are custom rods available, but that would be just too easy… :wink:

Simply awesome. You put a bar too high, mate :wink:

How long it took you to develop this beauty?

Thanks a lot! I have been tinkering with it for about 18 months (including the acquisition of all the parts) until I was really happy with the result. The first version had two M-motors and was much too slow, which meant I had to completely redesign the tender. In the second version, the torque of the L-motors tore the drivetrain to pieces, so I had to revise it again… this is the third version now, and it is finally working! :laugh:

Fantastic, I love both this and your last build and am looking forward to seeing the rolling stock!

Brick on!

And I must say, the photoshopping and presentation is superb. Envious!

Edited by baard

Very nice build! How big is the train in length? It's hard to tell from the pictures.

Many thanks. Length over buffers is just under 51 cm with close-coupled tender.

Fantastic, I love both this and your last build and am looking forward to seeing the rolling stock!

Brick on!

And I must say, the photoshopping and presentation is superb. Envious!

Thank you very much! I will present some rolling stock as soon as I had the opportunity to make a short video. Currently, due to the weather, the light is too low for that.

This Is Great! Wonderful pictures of a wonderful MOC. Incredible, so many details!

Excuse me while I pick my jaw off of the floor. This locomotive is incredible, the detailing is over the top and it looks better than many conventional G gauge locomotives. The backhead of the boiler alone is unbelievable, but all of the piping and suspension and ... not a flaw anywhere. Excellent work!

[...] This locomotive is incredible, the detailing is over the top and it looks better than many conventional G gauge locomotives. [...] Excellent work!

That is a fine piece of work. Its obvious to see the care and attention to detail that went into it.

Well done.

I feel really honored to get this positive feedback by such outstanding train builders as you are. Thank you very much!

Hi Sven

Fantastic Loko's you are Building, really great work,

Since I have large LGB layout in my garden, and of course a Lego collection as well,

I would love if you could reveal how you manage to go from 37,4 mm Lego track width to 45 mm,

cuz adding a 1 stud bricks gets you to 45,4 mm, which is to much,

and do you have a similar technique for waggons ?

Edited by jkj1909

Hi Sven

Fantastic Loko's you are Building, really great work,

Since I have large LGB layout in my garden, and of course a Lego collection as well,

I would love if you could reveal how you manage to go from 37,4 mm Lego track width to 45 mm,

cuz adding a 1 stud bricks gets you to 45,4 mm, which is to much,

and do you have a similar technique for waggons ?

Thanks for your appreciation!

The wheels are mounted on a 7L Technic axle. The engine frame is only 4 studs wide, so that the wheels can be adjusted to 45 mm track width:

Achse.jpg

The tender chassis is designed in the same way, the outer bearings being only a fake.

Of course, this solution applies to wagons, too (as I will show soon… :wink: ).

Edited by Tenderlok