H_Solo

AT-DP 75083 with some small mods

Hi there,

yesterday my son and I sat down to build the 75083 set... as always with the system scaled sets its basically a great model, that catches the essence of the vehicle nicely but could use an extra 50 or so parts to really finish it off.

Thats what I did in the afternoon looking at the concept drawings and learning from other mods

Here's my solution:

22278835741_2c03064c5f_z.jpg

I mainly focused on the pretty open backside of the "head" closing the nasty gaps and adding a little greebling to the engine area.

21647314893_c61fa56795_b.jpg

Here's a shot without the added detail (brackets already attached on the sides)

22081495579_8e6e267db3_b.jpg

And two shots of the parts needed for this:

22080306600_e7ed249aef_b.jpg

22242293626_0fba322502_b.jpg

I also added some detail to the underside of the engine to close it up and added some pipes to mimic hydraulic cylinders at the legs.

22081494509_a502d7764c_b.jpg

Then the legs... they are far to thin on the top, so there had to be a way to "beef" them up a little:

21645616554_00b6410944_z.jpg

Again, the parts:

21645614434_83f9362156_b.jpg

22080308660_baf58fc77c_b.jpg

As you might have seen I also toned down on the yellow parts... as much as I love those shiny bright yellow parts I think, they took it too far with the AT-DP, so toning it down a little only adds more realism to the model. The additional tile-piece here and there makes it less "studdy" and closes the technic beams at the lower legs.

I hope you like my modifications and leave some feedback for my next project.

Edited by H_Solo

Awesome mods, i like the added "beef" on the top part of the legs especially

Ill have to look into this once i get around to building my own (have it sitting on a shelf, not sure if ill leave it boxed up for under the christmas tree, or if ill go for it before then)

Nice MOD, but is the movement of the legs been improved after this modification? The gap of the backside don't bother me much, but the legs movement are the main thing that I don't like about this set.

^ Judging from the pictures, the range of movement either the same or even a bit more limited. The main obstacle in this case is the 'ankle' missing real joint, though it's the price for good stability. This model really isnt much about walking around or even various positioning. On the other hand, it stands very nicely, unlikely to fall down. Regarding two leg walkers, these two things - stability and leg articulation - are almost mutually exclusive I'm afraid.

Anyway, I really like the way you pictorialy described your modifications Han. That's really cool and much more useful than just pics of completed model. And finally the look has been improved reasonably. Thumbs up!

I really didn't think about leg-movement with my mods as I see it more as a standing model, than a walking one...