Sign in to follow this  
Ron Dayes

Cars for Modular - my first collection

Ok, so if your layout is no big deal for you, i'll be seeing it soon :wink:

Hmm, well...you could also use the flex tracks to form your "perfect curve" or maybe combine straight-flex-straight and so on. That would be real Lego. I just think, that flex tracks in large amounts remind me a bit too much of the old Strax Toys (remember them ? now, they are pretty unpopular).

The look is just a bit off compared to real tracks, so a cheap printed version could look better - and also allow 8+ trains to curve.

True though, finding solutions for issues in lego is what makes it fun - but sometimes, as for trains, its a bit frustrating not to have a larger radius curve. I think its a bit easier with cars, because once you look at the train track height, their wheel diameters and the availiable parts for it, there are a lot more problems to overcome in a 1/42 scale.

Anyway, i'll try trains once i get more cars up;)

You may see it anytime ... :wink: But I didn't express myself well, what I mean is a small layout with modules that can be handled well - in fact it's not that easy to put it all together on a small surface.

True though, finding solutions for issues in lego is what makes it fun - but sometimes, as for trains, its a bit frustrating not to have a larger radius curve. I think its a bit easier with cars, because once you look at the train track height, their wheel diameters and the availiable parts for it, there are a lot more problems to overcome in a 1/42 scale.

I guess we don't have proper curves for cars (especially trucks) either ... :wink: The train tracks as such (about 1/39) are fitting well, however, the wheels are a bit small at that scale, but you may hide them within their bogies (at least regarding Diesel locos). There are quite a few 8w and even bigger train builds, especially by the American train builders.

I guess we don't have proper curves for cars (especially trucks) either ... :wink: The train tracks as such (about 1/39) are fitting well, however, the wheels are a bit small at that scale, but you may hide them within their bogies (at least regarding Diesel locos). There are quite a few 8w and even bigger train builds, especially by the American train builders.

If you use those classic lego street baseplates its gettiing hard. They were invented in the 4 wide era, and for that width its working allright. But you can build your curves out of bricks, for example like that. He also managed to include street rails on this one which i find really nice. And in general, if you make crossings wide enough, trucks can turn more easily. Its also hard to turn a truck with large overhang in real life in a 90° turn if the crossings are as narrow as in the modulars. Old european downtowns are no fun for any truckdriver (unless he likes to puzzle;), and thats what the modulars seem to portrait. So if you widen the streets, it should solve that issue. You have to build them though, which consumes bricks and time, but its possible.

As for the trains, i currently find the wheels to large in diameter. The whole assembly is 3 bricks tall, so about minifig shoulder height, which is quite large. Im still on it, but looking at pics, i find the standard tires must be about the size of big car tires. Did an LDD file with my current progress, if you want to have a look. The green one seems fitting compared to that pic. the purple frame is a 1/42 scaled height of an ICE. So since 1/35 is bigger, shouldnt the standard boogie assembly fit in nicely? or why do you consider them too small for your scale?

ICE train layout 222.lxf

Edited by Ron Dayes

Yeah, I have seen that before, very nice. However, if you want to have pavements and buildings at the inside of curves, it's still difficult. I have been dealing with that problem when struggling with the slot car system. Even a 7w bus has difficulties in curves - on 33w (!) roads:

Regarding the train dimensions you seem to be right. Maybe the dimensions are quite different on those giant American locos. When building the GP38 which I did by using Sariel's model scaler and a blueprint the wheels seemed to be too small - but maybe I don't remember it correctly and it was rather a problem of the distance of the wheels on the train motors used as bogies. Anyhow, this isn't much of a problem since at that scale you are free to build broad bogies which hide the wheels quite well.

So after some minor changes, scale rethinking and input from Er0L, i can now present you another car (category)!

The BMW M6 (the tuned version of the 6 series). Its an upper class limousine and a hot ride for sure!

Its build in 1/43 scale, only now its 1 plate higher than my previous standard cars to match with supercars better. Before both were the same height and that wasnt too good.

I think it fits great to any modular ;)

Since i mainly use plates, tiles and modified bricks (brackets) for my builds, its fairly simple to reproduce i think.

LDD file attached - have fun! ------If you find flaws, tell me please :wink:

Pics:

BMW M6 front and fig for scale...

26717824762_9329fc5084_b.jpgBMW M6 standart with fig by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

...comparisson to my recent Aventador so we get the height and length reference (the M6 is almost 5 meters, so it appears longer than the Aventador)...

26538913520_9edfd7a288_b.jpgAventador vs BMW M6 by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

...taillight area...

26538914830_5f259c746f_b.jpgBMW M6 side view by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

...the M-Type decaling ( i will soon check all parts colours, its not possible to do this one exactly, but maybe some other cool livery....)....

26175915264_9a2cb818af_b.jpgBMW M6 by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

...and for the fun of it i made a hot rod^^!

26717838322_7d04516065_b.jpgBMW M6 ROD and Chopper by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

BMW M6 FINAL.lxf

No flaws. There is only one advantage. Advantages of the form and its recognition. Excellent work.

Undoubtedly your cars are an appropriate scale for reality. I like the advanced techniques throughout. I guess they just look a little too real to sit beside the modular buildings. I feel like tossing out the idea of minifig compatibility would enable these to catch a more cohesive look.

Excellent exhibition of advanced skills though, I like them a lot!

Yeah, I have seen that before, very nice. However, if you want to have pavements and buildings at the inside of curves, it's still difficult. I have been dealing with that problem when struggling with the slot car system. Even a 7w bus has difficulties in curves - on 33w (!) roads:

Regarding the train dimensions you seem to be right. Maybe the dimensions are quite different on those giant American locos. When building the GP38 which I did by using Sariel's model scaler and a blueprint the wheels seemed to be too small - but maybe I don't remember it correctly and it was rather a problem of the distance of the wheels on the train motors used as bogies. Anyhow, this isn't much of a problem since at that scale you are free to build broad bogies which hide the wheels quite well.

Sry for late replying -

You know, i just noticed that all corners in cities (at crossings) are even more round than in your video or the typical lego road plates. They are most often a quarter circle. Maybe you could use this #T=C"]part for your corners here so vehicles have more space to turn?

Concerning trains its kind of hard - all countries seem to have their own standards in wheels, sometimes even in gauge. I will eventually try a train with smaller wheels, but thats a project for another day;) maybe it works without the wheels looking weird - as you proposed, hiding them is not a bad idea i guess^^

Cheers mate!

No flaws. There is only one advantage. Advantages of the form and its recognition. Excellent work.

Thanks nemo! glad you liking it the way it is - form and recognition is pretty much the only thing im trying to achieve nowadays, playability kind of got lost during this process :grin: Its firm, but not suitable for figs to fit in properly. But ey, i dont "play" with lego, i rather have it rest on my cupboard or for a display (hopefully one day^^).

See you around!

Undoubtedly your cars are an appropriate scale for reality. I like the advanced techniques throughout. I guess they just look a little too real to sit beside the modular buildings. I feel like tossing out the idea of minifig compatibility would enable these to catch a more cohesive look.

Excellent exhibition of advanced skills though, I like them a lot!

Many thanks iammac, nice that you like em! -too real :sceptic:? hmmm.... i find the modulars to be the probably most advanced of all lego sets in building techniques, style and so on. Therefore i thought, i try do them justice with something that is also made of so many small and interesting parts (so its also more challenging to build). You could be right though - too bad i dont own any modulars or have this one in real bricks, would now interest me how it looks beside them... The big plus here is the size however - the modulars will appear taller next to the cars :grin:

Indeed, without the figs next to them they could catch a more cohesive look - BUT - then i wouldnt build in that scale, make the whole thing larger for more details and so on...

if you have modulars and the parts for the BMW at hand (ldd file attached somewhere above), id be dying to know how this looks in real bricks next to each other!

I frankly wont have it showable myself any time soon :look:

cheers and thanks for your opinion!

are your models still for sale?

yes, the aventador is. Just not on ebay anymore, i will send you private link per EB mail :wink:

I like the creativity in your vehicles, a daring undertaking in the somewhat fixed Lego world.

You have a very distinct style, which is always a good thing.

The scaling is also quite good, but I would try to close up some gaps here and there to make them look more whole.

You can find the 33 degree slope in trans clear, in 2 wide and 3 wide. Perhaps that can help you with the windshields. But I'm not saying the black looks bad, I just prefer trans clear.

Good luck on this venture, I look forward to see what your building future brings! :thumbup:

I like the creativity in your vehicles, a daring undertaking in the somewhat fixed Lego world.

You have a very distinct style, which is always a good thing.

The scaling is also quite good, but I would try to close up some gaps here and there to make them look more whole.

You can find the 33 degree slope in trans clear, in 2 wide and 3 wide. Perhaps that can help you with the windshields. But I'm not saying the black looks bad, I just prefer trans clear.

Good luck on this venture, I look forward to see what your building future brings! :thumbup:

Many Thanks for the kind words Captain Green hair!

you mention the one important thing here, that even got me into this roof designing mess: windshields!

There are no 5 wides, there are only 2 angles in windshield moulds, the 4 wide hinge windshield is always too small and those 33° trans bricks you mentioned only allow that angle, and a lot of cars dont have that number for theirs...on the other hand, It just looks too much like vintage lego from the 70ies to me :grin:

I once tried making all tiles trans aswell (even though not all exist) -> result is a windshield mess, looking like broken glass cause of the inner studs and pins (would be good for such a setting though^^). Similar to the Miniland Cars of the Lego Parks.

So i gave that one up and went with black and grey (like lego did with the tiny turbos, etc).

Furthermore, modern roof designs have that distinct curve - once i gotten the roof curved, those hinge pieces always interfered with any windshield i used.

Often the windshields are even way to high to be used in my scale, so i couldnt make much use of that category in LDD.

BUT yeah, trans definately looks better :wink: - i just dont have that option :sceptic:

Maybe for a real bricks version i could cut some transparent plastic into place or something like that. Or work more with tubes/hoses and so on (LDD bugs with those bendable parts...).

For now, i can only offer a standard Model of the E30, where i closed up some gaps in the window design (btw, those are 1x1 bricks - maybe this one could be a lot better for trans piece usage than my recent Cars...)

26996054055_71e5f88a8a_b.jpgBMW E30 by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

26390449324_33e4366cf7_b.jpgBMW M6 vs E30 by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

Hello there,

Im reworking my scale atm, applying some changes mostly in the width of cars. 7 wide is actually too wide in 1/42 , which i knew at start, but since i wanted the figs to fit in, i mathmatically blended the Figs width ratio into my cars.

It ended in making the cars look short, allthough they were long enough. But now i considered making car widths....

190 - 200cm = 6 wide

170 -180 cm = 5 wide

So i am reworking literally every model so far, here are my first result (plus a new car that came in handy = the new ford GT!)

enjoy!

28029613961_b38a282e22_c.jpgFord 2016 GT by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

now a few more shots...

28012435862_2cc446f40f_c.jpgLambo Aventador vs Ford GT.lxf by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

28025059131_b972b822a9_c.jpgAventador LP 900 - new scale 6 wide by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

Here you can see the changes i made from new (left) to old version (right)

28115909225_2dc3fa606a_c.jpgNew and the old by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

a comparisson to the SC Ford GT 2016 from the recent "Ford Returns" video:

28038545031_f11fceec0a_c.jpg1/41 vs Speedchampions 1 by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

28125705625_a4f337163d_c.jpgFord GT 2004 by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

28091411056_629c69761c_c.jpgFerrari F430 by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

Your new Aventador is great! The headlights are a nice change. Fits well with the GT too.

So i am reworking literally every model so far, here are my first result (plus a new car that came in handy = the new ford GT!)

enjoy!

*SNIP IMAGE*

when I first saw this image the blue car didn't strike me as the new Ford GT, instead I saw a Jaguar XJ220. it wasn't until my eyes say the Ford liveries that I realized what it was. and some how which I'm not sure how, but your one model (in blue) really does look like either car in this style!

Your new Aventador is great! The headlights are a nice change. Fits well with the GT too.

Many thanks there! im really happy with the new solutions i found for the front design - i thought the transition from 7 to 6 wide wouldnt give me all the techniques i used to have on the 7 wide - but now, in my opinion it looks even better :blush:! Also cuts part count by 20% hehe :wink:

when I first saw this image the blue car didn't strike me as the new Ford GT, instead I saw a Jaguar XJ220. it wasn't until my eyes say the Ford liveries that I realized what it was. and some how which I'm not sure how, but your one model (in blue) really does look like either car in this style!

yeah, thats quite something interesting with this model... imo, most sportscars really share very similar design lines. So the new Ford GT isnt something totally groundbreaking from a design part of view. To me personally, it combines lots or character from the Aventador (front) and the koenigsegg (cockpit design) plus Ferrari's narrow body sides. So, thats why i settled for sculpting it out of my Aventador. The headlights on the GT are very tricky, this solution here was the best i could do for that one front technique. Maybe working with rubber bands and stickers irl can get more recognisable results soon. A Jaguar XJ220 definately is in there - with broader sides it could easily pass as that one :wink:

Fun fact: Ford developed the XJ220 back then together with Jaguar. If you look at this picture, i personally see the GT 40 touch in it. I bet, some of the new GT's technique or design is based on this rather "cancelled" car. Designers usually start from somewhere - especially when it was one of "their" co- designs.

Wasnt too hard getting the Ferrari done out of this one aswell :laugh: , so yeah, i think this car can be layed out to any interpretation easily, since its rather "universal" design.

i think a bit more detail work is necessary then, to really settle for the different brands more distinctivley...

cheers and thanks for stopping by!

ok, here we go with the first 5 wide.

its a tuned BMW e30.

Being 170 cm wide, its 30 cm narrower than the Aventador. In 1/41 thats a 1x1 plates width - so 5 wide is pretty accurate here, allthough it looks very skinny now...

28227337985_b5e5d3174c_c.jpg5 wide BMW e30 by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

The new cars look more organic in shape. Nevertheless, this new format does not negate a very interesting and characteristic of the author's methods of assembly models. And it does not matter what minifigures not sit in the car. It is much more important than such a beautiful shape of your car in lego. Now, if in this style to construct various other types of cars - minivans, SUV family car. It is waiting.

The new cars look more organic in shape. Nevertheless, this new format does not negate a very interesting and characteristic of the author's methods of assembly models. And it does not matter what minifigures not sit in the car. It is much more important than such a beautiful shape of your car in lego. Now, if in this style to construct various other types of cars - minivans, SUV family car. It is waiting.

Many thanks Nemo!

Indeed, the new scale looks more organic, its getting a bit away from my previous more blocky designs (at least on some models)^^.

Im currently working on a big project considering my Supercars, so Minivans, SuV's and so on have to wait a while - but eventually, they will be here soon ;-)

Been busy lately, some more Cars (redesigns for some models), hope you like them ;)

Scale relations - what can be more cool than an aventador in your living room?

28798778781_862b98e56c_c.jpgBack to the desk! by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

Ferrari Italia - planning to put stickers into the wedgeplates triangle

28281228523_a2f5cd3f0b_c.jpgFerrari Italia wip by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

McLaren F1 - the classic

28910349235_e6c2588a7a_c.jpgMcLaren F1 LM by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

my new Aventador redesign

28295576533_fc780d1fb4_c.jpgLamborghini Aventador by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

M Power !

28627683270_d7d05347f0_c.jpgBMW M3 (E30) by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

Edgy time in the 90ies - Mercedes Bunch, complete with german style taxi.

28882460286_b985846735_c.jpgMercedes Benz 90ies by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

Referring to the original post, I agree with the others that the windows seemed a bit blocky because of how you built them with rods, clips and other parts. Both versions of the Aventador recall the prototype immediately, and the E30 is really evocative, too.

I'm not familiar enough with cars to provide detailed feedback but your updated scale seems to have a great feel to it, and you seem to be using it to make some nifty little cars. Keep at it - I look forward to seeing what else you make in this system.

Referring to the original post, I agree with the others that the windows seemed a bit blocky because of how you built them with rods, clips and other parts. Both versions of the Aventador recall the prototype immediately, and the E30 is really evocative, too.

I'm not familiar enough with cars to provide detailed feedback but your updated scale seems to have a great feel to it, and you seem to be using it to make some nifty little cars. Keep at it - I look forward to seeing

what else you make in this system.

Many thanks! If you like that scale - rest assured - more will come! also some more standard vehicles, trucks etc ;-)

Also been playing around with trans for windowing, so maybe that can improve the look a bit...?

28997071435_75d9643388_c.jpgMercedes 190 Evo II by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

i just finished a prototype with some spare parts i have - not a finished version, but just to check if its a possible LDD - to real bricks model^^

Just press into the black screen and you can see the vid over at flickr ;)

29096157225_8332e5f093_c.jpgHow firm is it? - Testing... by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

Edited by Ron Dayes

What a beautiful silhouette forming machine line. Unusual use of components, unique style, which has led to such a great result.

And now, in fact. :thumbup:

28281228523_a2f5cd3f0b_c.jpg

Wow, these are getting better all the time.

At first I was a bit hesitant because of some awkard looking parts but scale wise I really love your approach.

Now they are really look good.