Hy today i started making my first lowboy trailer. like this one but with less studs

1333624974m_SPLASH.jpg

i wanted to maake one to fit on the B model of the 42043 arocs.

i started making the detach system.

22059645749_b880b63950_k.jpgDSC_0011 by thenextlegodesinger, on Flickr

22059648349_c535e368d2_k.jpgDSC_0012 by thenextlegodesinger, on Flickr

when i wanted to make the axles, i got a little problem. i want to make one with these 4297209.jpg tyres because they are the only one so small.

Because i have only 8, i was questionning about 3 single wheeled axles or 2 double wheeleed axles

i am also going to make a dolly trailer so i can use it to pull both my trailer and my dumpbed. so if someone has a good dolly trailer please help me.

thanks

TNLD

Hy today i started making my first lowboy trailer. like this one but with less studs

1333624974m_SPLASH.jpg

i wanted to maake one to fit on the B model of the 42043 arocs.

i started making the detach system.

22059645749_b880b63950_k.jpgDSC_0011 by thenextlegodesinger, on Flickr

22059648349_c535e368d2_k.jpgDSC_0012 by thenextlegodesinger, on Flickr

when i wanted to make the axles, i got a little problem. i want to make one with these 4297209.jpg tyres because they are the only one so small.

Because i have only 8, i was questionning about 3 single wheeled axles or 2 double wheeleed axles

i am also going to make a dolly trailer so i can use it to pull both my trailer and my dumpbed. so if someone has a good dolly trailer please help me.

thanks

TNLD

Id say use two double wheeled axles and one single wheeled axle that can raise/lower.

good job so far

Why those? They will not look good as double. They are comparable in size with these:

15413.jpg

But are way more acurate for trailers.

Or you could use normal 62.4 wheels. The look very good on large trailers.

How does that detach system works?I see only pins?

Great that you are building yourself a lowboy trailer, especially because you use my lowboy as inspiration... :wink: To go with the Merc it is indeed obvious to make with less studs.

I do agree with M_longer, the picture he shows is indeed more accurate. And also could you use the 62.4 wheels as I did...

The way you are building the deck seems most obvious, but won't be rigid enough though. Do you have any ideas what will be the load to go with this lowboy? Any ideas on how to make it more sturdy...

Id say use two double wheeled axles and one single wheeled axle that can raise/lower.

good job so far

i thought about that but i only have 8 and 2 double wheeled axles already uses 8 wheels

Why those? They will not look good as double. They are comparable in size with these:

15413.jpg

But are way more acurate for trailers.

Or you could use normal 62.4 wheels. The look very good on large trailers.

How does that detach system works?I see only pins?

yes it uses pins but first i lower it to the ground with the LA's and then i disconect the pins

Great that you are building yourself a lowboy trailer, especially because you use my lowboy as inspiration... :wink: To go with the Merc it is indeed obvious to make with less studs.

I do agree with M_longer, the picture he shows is indeed more accurate. And also could you use the 62.4 wheels as I did...

The way you are building the deck seems most obvious, but won't be rigid enough though. Do you have any ideas what will be the load to go with this lowboy? Any ideas on how to make it more sturdy...

i used yours at first for inspiration but also this one (http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=65490) but that was for the detach system.

I would love to go with those wheels but i only have the ones from my Arocs and i don't want to buy new wheels.

For the load, maybe an excavator, maybe just a caterpillar chassis, maybe a crawler, i don't totally know yet

i think i may add 2 linjes of beams ontop of the deck. if you have ideas please tell them.

to fill the gaps i'll use these4242525.jpg

Thanks

TNLD

You need strong central beam-box, it needs to be at least two bricks high-thick. Best to use studded bricks. The solution on your picture wont work, it wont be able to hold even itself.

I'll give you an advice - make it simple.

yes it uses pins but first i lower it to the ground with the LA's and then i disconect the pins

There are few system for detaching, but almost every uses hydraulics.

This one could be good for your model:

yeah i know but making that work is harder then just disconect the pins

Well, you need two axles that will be mounted on the bottom of the deck, and two holes in the gooseneck.

And linkage that will lok it in place. It is not that hard as it sounds.

yeah i know but making that work is harder then just disconect the pins

Well, you need two axles that will be mounted on the bottom of the deck, and two holes in the gooseneck.

And linkage that will lok it in place. It is not that hard as it sounds.

true i'll try that

this is a project ongoing for almost two years for me..

work, baby, life.. everything put me away from it..

I want to carry 8043 and Volvo with it, so structural rigidity is also a big problem for me, which I haven't been able to solve so far.

anyway, I'm also on it.

this is a project ongoing for almost two years for me..

work, baby, life.. everything put me away from it..

I want to carry 8043 and Volvo with it, so structural rigidity is also a big problem for me, which I haven't been able to solve so far.

anyway, I'm also on it.

do you want to carry them at the same time?. i have now the perfect size for 8043 or my dumpertrailer. for the 42030 you could use my version but you have to make it longer

Edited by TheNextLegoDesinger

hey guys,

2 years have passed now but i haven't been sitting still, i made multiple improvements of my original design. i wasn't able to build it without studded bricks, but i didn't use that many.

i have now made a version that i am finaly truly satisfied with (altough i thought that of the last version to).

38642413535_87a2c6e0b6_c.jpg

when i got the Volvo front loader i wanted my trailer to be able to hold it and so it began, building frames , building multiple linking mechanisms and enlarging it over and over again.

the trailer is 1 meters long, has 3 axles in the rear and is able to unlink at the neck of the trailer. It also has a pneumatic actuator to hold the neck when the trailer is not connected to a truck. this is al because of the link mecanism.

it started with this one:
23668054886_84a1fab39a_c.jpg

it worked great, it was actually the best one, but it wasn't easy to disconect when the trailer was loaded. so after lengthing the trailer so it could house a 42030 or a 42042. i started searching for other ways to make the linking mechanism. i made a couple, like the ones used in real ones. but those didn't work as my trailer is a little bendy (but more on that later on). about 2 weeks ago, i found it, by having 2 pins locking underneath and 2 actuators pushing 2 pin's from above in the frame, i could clamp the front of the trailer onto the neck.
this made that i could easily connect and disconect even if the trailer was loaded.

25667893008_813911fca1_c.jpg
38642393895_7f1515b961_c.jpg

Now onto that flexing part, well parts. Lego studded bricks are very strong and don't flex that much. also by using plates, you can easilly make very sturdy layers. This is why you see most lowboy trailers use studded bricks and some studless bricks to keep the studded bricks together. The biggest problem with studded bricks is that  they wheigh a lot more. The second biggest problem for a newby like me who only playes with technics, you don't have a lot of pinholed studded bricks. This made me want to build a lowboy trailer without studded bricks. and i did it, altough it wasn't that good. it was about 60 cm long and it bended into the form of a banana when loaded. so back to the drawingboard. I made it stronger and stronger, but nothing helped. So i gave up, well sort of, i just started using as many long studded beams as i had, and that wasn't a lot. But it helped, instead of flexing around 10 cm, it flexed only 1 cm. this made it that my neck didn't have to angle that much. it now has an angle of around 25-30° to which is a bit extreme but it's acceptable.

27763753449_6437ab5bbf_c.jpg

39538563301_fa5343ebd4_c.jpg
38642388845_986a4fac24_c.jpg
25667895048_5e041473b2_c.jpg
38829571134_a9f439c14f_c.jpg

the frame is pretty simple, i used the big red plates, to make it lighter, and a platform at the rear to house more stuff. In the middle is the main frame i used a form of triangulation to make the mainframe stronger. To the side of that i have 2 strokes of studded bricks, this made it so that the frame was way stronger.

39540686201_61d71cdd46_c.jpg

In the state i've build it it is easily able to hold a load of 3 kg on the lower part of the trailer. On the back part you can put a lot more as it is directly on top of the wheels.

More pictures: https://flic.kr/s/aHsknrXtg2
feel free to demand extra pictures.

Greetz,
TNLD

Edited by TheNextLegoDesinger

On 7-1-2018 at 12:59 AM, Aventador2004 said:

It is okay, too much bending.

Btw, proper grammar is respected..

What do you mean with to much bending?

i know, i am not a native english speaker, so i try to do my best

greetz,

TNLD

5 minutes ago, TheNextLegoDesinger said:

What do you mean with to much bending?

i know, i am not a native english speaker, so i try to do my best

Look at this picture, with load. The rear wheel is off the ground. (I meant capitalization.)

IMG_20180101_161106182

Oh yeah, i know that. I knew it was a problem but I was out of studded beams so i couldn't fortify it that way. I might think about another way to strength it butI dont now atm.

In that pic it was 5mm of the ground at lowest.

Just now, TheNextLegoDesinger said:

Oh yeah, i know that. I knew it was a problem but I was out of studded beams so i couldn't fortify it that way. I might think about another way to strength it butI dont now atm.

In that pic it was 5mm of the ground at lowest.

Maybe try 2 layers of beams.