Hello,

my entry for the latest contest will be ancient greek crane like this one.

22232604702_0fdde02e8c_o.gif

And here are some photos of my current progress. The design is very simple but it is how it should be... it's a bit rainbow now because I don't own much technic pieces but the order is placed and I hope that new parts will arrive soon. I decided to motorize it with Lego PF instead of original human power - motors and battery box will act as counterweight.

22232604612_9e89c870e6_b.jpg

22232604662_644c9fef42_b.jpg

22232604672_bd7367ee30_b.jpg

22232604692_04dae6fc5c_b.jpg

And yes, that red tile with flame on it is PF receiver dummy :D

Most original and surprising entry so far :D I absolutely wouldn't think of doing such crane. Good luck with propper color scheme.

Most original and surprising entry so far :D I absolutely wouldn't think of doing such crane. Good luck with propper color scheme.

My thoughts exactly

HHhmmmmmmmm..... I was going to build one of these! com'n :grin: Great work so far :thumbup:

I like it. Good parts use and an unusual model choice. I especially like the pulley arrangements.

Thanks for the kind words

Great idea :thumbup: and reminds me at something like this, only their is a bardge under it.

I was thinking about one of these beasts, but as I am limited on parts I decided the older version :classic:, good thing is that the principle is pretty much the same

HHhmmmmmmmm..... I was going to build one of these! com'n :grin: Great work so far :thumbup:

Go for it JJ2! lets make our own category

I like it. Good parts use and an unusual model choice. I especially like the pulley arrangements.

Thanks Moz, I hope it will be quite efficient too. I am planning lifting capacity test as the model will be complete.

I agree with 2Lego.. I'd like to see it manual. Don't sweat the colors,IMHO the function of a model is the important thing.

Thanks for advices, I think can make a manual version too with no problem :grin:

The main advantages why I choose motorized version was the significant weight of batteries and motors which is good for stability and the possibility to lock the winches with worm gear but these problems are easy to solve

Looking at the original a loop of rope around a spoke locked the mechanism. If you are interested in ancient machines send me an e-mail and I'll give you some references. They make an interesting read.

Ed

I made progress with appropriate color scheme and made both remote control and manual versions

21816687503_1a78c23746_o.jpg

21816687533_f127d1068a_o.jpg

21816687583_c2c5392ed8_o.jpg

manual crane works well, but the tail is too light and it tilts under load... I tried to build some counterweight with bricks but it is still too light.

So the motorized version is the final one.

Why can't you still use the battery box as a counterweight on the manual version?

I'll also add my support behind the "good job" sentiments!

Owen.

Why can't you still use the battery box as a counterweight on the manual version?

I totaly agree - it's a huge stone block for counterweight. Without it it looks unreal - counter weight is something we would expect on such a device.

It looks great, brown beams really add ot it.