___

[MOC] #681502 Caterpillar Spacecraft

Looks really good. I like the modular design. The treads remind me of some experimental B-36 landing gear..

But I'm not really sure about the combination here. Why treads for heavy terrain, when it can fly over it?

Looks really good. I like the modular design. The treads remind me of some experimental B-36 landing gear..

But I'm not really sure about the combination here. Why treads for heavy terrain, when it can fly over it?

Thank you in the first place for your very nice comment, and secondly you are using too much logic for a LEGO model - do not do it cos then you always find some contradictions in it: you should aim just on the design and playability, it is not real stuff after all and I am notconsidering my MOCs as kind of interpretation of real things rather pure fantasy designs, OK?. :laugh: I simply do not like when ppl thinking about LEGO builds as some real stuff that needs to stick to some hard logic. :wink:

But on the other hand if you really want to know I can give you a few theoretical/possible reasons why:

- in specific situation it is much more conveniet using tracks than flying cos you need some space for starting to fly like real planes need (gee, I can not remember how it is named in english, sorry: you know that road for planes that need it so they can fly up)

- using flying mode is much more energy/fuel angry

- astronauts having more fun actually riding thru dunes than flying over them

etc.

:laugh::grin::tongue:

Edited by bublible

:laugh: I simply do not like when ppl thinking about LEGO builds as some real stuff that needs to stick to some hard logic.

Aww, I do! Form follows function! :D

But you're right, anything can be explained away. You know the B-36 bomber? One experimental design for its landing gear used caterpillar treads.

Here' sea other idea, it's a ship specifically for landing on soft terrain and/or in high gravity...

Aww, I do! Form follows function! :D

In such case many if not most of the good golden CS era sets do not respect that logic as they are mainly and simply what they are: toys with interesting fantasy designs for kids where main aim is playability, second one design and they simply did not consider real life stuff logic to be any important...or at least not that much, yet those models are legends and basically no one ever rise any question about them being illogical, you know - that being said let's close this debate stating that anyone may build anything he consider right, that is some of us may build models sticking to full hard real life logic and others - like me - just doing some interesting partly illogical toys, OK? :laugh::grin:

But you're right, anything can be explained away. You know the B-36 bomber? One experimental design for its landing gear used caterpillar treads.

Here' sea other idea, it's a ship specifically for landing on soft terrain and/or in high gravity...

No, I did not know that - interesting. :thumbup:

It looks like you're "at home" with planes, right? :wink:

Actually when I was in my preteen/teen years I was also big fan of planes - I used to build plastic models from Rewell (I wonder do they still exist releasing new models?) having quite big fleet of planes from all kinds of aviatic eras (WWI, WWII, modern ones...even one two hypothetical stealth planes) but I am not interested in those anymore. :classic:

Edited by bublible

I like this MOC. The apparence is awsome and the playability is excelent with the modular drones.

Good job whit the renders.

Sweet Sarsaparilla,what a great Classic Space MOC.

The overall Proportions are great and i love the Wings / Treads Combination.

- astronauts having more fun actually riding thru dunes than flying over them

Agreed!Besides that,if the Wings get damaged from Space Debris or a bad Landing you still have a Chance to get to the Homebase and fix the Mess.

I like this MOC. The apparence is awsome and the playability is excelent with the modular drones.

Good job whit the renders.

Sweet Sarsaparilla,what a great Classic Space MOC.

The overall Proportions are great and i love the Wings / Treads Combination.

Agreed!Besides that,if the Wings get damaged from Space Debris or a bad Landing you still have a Chance to get to the Homebase and fix the Mess.

Thank you guys! :classic:

In such case many if not most of the good golden CS era sets do not respect that logic as they are mainly and simply what they are: toys with interesting fantasy designs for kids where main aim is playability, second one design and they simply did not consider real life stuff logic to be any important...

Interesting to hear such a different interpretation. Maybe we had very different sets? I started out on Classic Space and I recall it being quite functional, allowing of course for playability and parts limitations. But it doesn't matter that much, I'm not trying to tell you how to play with your toys.

It looks like you're "at home" with planes, right? :wink:

Actually when I was in my preteen/teen years I was also big fan of planes - I used to build plastic models from Rewell (I wonder do they still exist releasing new models?) having quite big fleet of planes from all kinds of aviatic eras (WWI, WWII, modern ones...even one two hypothetical stealth planes) but I am not interested in those anymore. :classic:

Guess so..it's mostly the weird stuff that appeals to me, German weirdness from late WW2, pogo fighters, nuclear-powered bombers and the like. I'm curious which stealth planes you mean.

I'm curious which stealth planes you mean.

They were just hypothetical ones...kind of conspiracy theories only yet they really made it as a plastic models, anyway I had both at that time (I guess that MIG is still somewhere around here covered with several layers of dust :laugh: ). :classic:

143703-11104.jpg

Italeri%20162%20Mig37.JPG

Edited by bublible

Man bublible, not sure how you do it, but you always capture the high weirdness of Classic Space. This craft is just wacky in all the right ways. The landing treads really contrast the with the sleekness of the wings in a way that short circuits my brain in a good way.

What's that detachable thing on the craft's nose. Is it a drone? A robot? A satellite? A sensor console? Who knows! But it works as all of them. It challenges the observer to think.

..it's mostly the weird stuff that appeals to me, German weirdness from late WW2, pogo fighters, nuclear-powered bombers and the like.

Oh man then you should really like bublible's stuff!

143703-11104.jpg

Italeri%20162%20Mig37.JPG

Those are COOL! I always loved the weirder airplanes. I had this GI Joe jet from the 80's:

NIBrv0k.jpg

Man bublible, not sure how you do it, but you always capture the high weirdness of Classic Space. This craft is just wacky in all the right ways. The landing treads really contrast the with the sleekness of the wings in a way that short circuits my brain in a good way.

:blush: danth..."Mama, ooh-oo-oo-oooh, I don't wanna die and sometimes wish I've never been born at all...all we hear is radio ga-ga, radio gu-gu, radio ga-ga!" (I guess you know what I mean...now if I only knew where Brian puts his red guitar and where are those Roger's drums? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:) - thanx a lot! :grin::thumbup:

What's that detachable thing on the craft's nose. Is it a drone? A robot? A satellite? A sensor console? Who knows! But it works as all of them. It challenges the observer to think.

You just helped me find the right word: ENIGMA - those simply enigmatic design concepts of CS from 80's (+ early 90's) is the thing that turn us on...as you said one have to think and come up with his own ideas what that thing could actually be or what that stuff is used for and what all it can do? Actually they make you use your own brain and imagination - it was not drawn for you in an Idiocracy (film) kind of way where one do not need to think. :wink::thumbup:

Oh man then you should really like bublible's stuff!

:cry_happy:

Those are COOL! I always loved the weirder airplanes. I had this GI Joe jet from the 80's:

From 80's? Hmm, so I guess if you were child in those days then we could be even of the approximately same age...or you just obtained it from somewhere and you were child in late 90's instead?

Anyway yea: both planes are interesting with the F-19 being the spectacular one and it seems to me they (GI Joes) simply grab it as a concept when rumors were running wild about that hypothetical plane in those days...or vice-versa.

Edited by bublible

:blush: danth..."Mama, ooh-oo-oo-oooh, I don't wanna die and sometimes wish I've never been born at all...all we hear is radio ga-ga, radio gu-gu, radio ga-ga!" (I guess you know what I mean...now if I only knew where Brian puts his red guitar and where are those Roger's drums? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:) - thanx a lot! :grin::thumbup:

No idea what you mean! Other than Queen references! Are you telling me that we are the champions of the world?

From 80's? Hmm, so I guess if you were child in those days then we could be even of the approximately same age...or you just obtained it from somewhere and you were child in late 90's instead?

A child of the 80's all the way! I was actually born in the best year: 1978. The advent of Classic Space!

No idea what you mean! Other than Queen references! Are you telling me that we are the champions of the world?

Yea, and it even looks now like it's a kind of magic...a miracle but still a bit innuendo. :laugh:

A child of the 80's all the way! I was actually born in the best year: 1978. The advent of Classic Space!

Ehm, ehm: 1975 here - a year when the most classical rock song was born ("Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody") + even the exact month when it was released I was "released" too (November)...now I am talking a bit like a robot so I quite nicely fit here. :tongue::grin:

Edited by bublible