Sign in to follow this  
Andy D

Seduced by Modular Buildings

For the first time in about 5 years I am building a Technic set, the 24 Hours Race Car - 42039. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed building Technic sets.

In 2008 when I started LEGO again I was building mostly NXT constructions and Technic sets. The last Technic set I built was the 8258 Crane Truck. Wow! That was a great set.

Then I discovered the Cafe Corner and I was seduced away from Technic by Modular buildings. Then for the next 5 years I mostly bought and built modular buildings, Winter Village, an occasional Star Wars set and a random selection of other themes, then Monster a Fighters mostly for Halloween.

Several years ago I even sold many of my Technic sets... I had an unopened Crane Truck, a front loader and an 8043... All still in box, I was convinced that I was done with Technic, so they were sold. I even sold a a Crane Truck and Off Roader that I had built. The one I miss the most is the Crane Truck. I don't want to own it, I just want to build it. I have quite a few a Technic parts, and I recently bought the 42009, 42042, 42037 and the 42039. I must have enough parts to build the Crane a Truck, maybe not in the proper colors, but I just to build and disassemble it anyway so it doesn't matter.

Who else has been seduced away from one LEGO theme by another LEGO theme only to later find that they missed their original theme? Are you now building in the theme you "left for good"? Or are you still having an affair with a new LEGO theme?

Well now I am going to get a balance between Technic, Modular Buildings, Winter Village and whatever other short term LEGO affair comes along.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Here it is in 2015..and you are finally building more?? haha

As far as being seduced by a different theme, I'm not sure if that is the case for me. But I have recently been getting back into Sci-Fi (M:Tron/Blacktron) stuff from my youth, whereas I haven't been into Sci-Fi that much since getting back into LEGO a few years ago..

So it is tough to say. I was heavily into Castle as a kid. Dark ages hit. Harry Potter/Kingdoms bring me out of my Dark ages..and now I hardly buy any castle stuff, but do more Modulars/Licensed. I guess a seduction could have taken place.

I just returned from my dark age. My wife and I went into the Lego store. She really liked the Parisian Restaurant. I told her it was a bad idea. We went to see our movie to consider buying it and to let her heed my warning. She still insisted we should buy it. I couldn't resist. We returned. It's just 3-months later and we own all the modulars but Market Street, all the Winter Village except Bakery and Post Office (and train if that counts), the Ferris Wheel and Mixer, and an Emerald Night.

Because those are the advanced series that we both appreciate, I won't go in another direction at the expense of those but I mostly played with Star Wars as a kid so I could see myself being tempted by the dark side. Problem now is it's all vehicles and mediocre replicas of various scenes. I don't *woosh* much nor do I personally enjoy having a shelf of only semi-related non-cohesive sets next to one-another. I Bricklink'ed myself a UCS Imperial Shuttle for display for now. I loved that idea of the modular style Naboo hangar where you could put a dozen of those together and replicate the entire thing. Extend that idea out to other iconic locations/scenes and that would make a cool display. You could collect one of each. You could just pick one of each of your favorite scenes from your favorite movies. You could buy multiples of one (or more) and do it in a grander scale. Guess it is Lego and that could be done with the ships, a baseplate for each, and some creativity. Hmm... or perhaps if they effectively executed a sports theme. I'm not sure how do effectively do that in Lego, which was the problem, but combining interests is always fun so if they could do it well, I'd be in.

But yeah, if anything, modulars for us too are what "seduced", only it was back to Lego in the first place.

Yep, similar story here.

I left lego for good durring the late 90's when city sets went all baby like. 15 years later, my girfriend sees the parisian restaurant in a shop window and asks me about it. I didn't even want to talk about it, as i don't like theorising about stuff i can't afford, but well, couple of weeks later we bought 7 modulars, some ucs's and a bunch of creator stuff and thought how did we end up here like some lego junkies.

Edited by Sven F

Not really... I never gave up on trains, but I did get into more and more themes as time went on, finally deciding enough was enough and I cut way back. I will keep getting modulars, but only mainly because they fit in with the train theme quite nicely. A handful of creator building sets (like toy and bike shop, changing seasons, mountain cabin). I think I have just about all the Star Wars I'll get (being an OT fan and having collected my share of ships from those movies already).

But I got realistic and gave up on themes not because another one stole me away, but financial and spacial considerations.

I wasn't seduced AWAY from anything, but I was definitely seduced by the modular line. I had no real interest in them except for the Palace Cinema, having worked at a movie theater for many years. Then I built it....and got hooked. I have all of the ones that are currently available (DO, PR, PC, PS), and I'm considering buying or Bricklinking at least the Grand Emporium, since I really like the look of that one.

I believe we can credit (blame) Jamie for the seducing effects of the modular line. ;) ;) I think the modular line is doing a very good job of keeping some late teen builders interested in LEGO instead of entering their "Dark Ages" and from what I have read, I belIeve the modular line is directly responsible for bringing many adults back to LEGO. Good job keeping their company profitable. I further believe that is what makes LEGO so attractive... Something for everybody!

Andy D

Edited by Andy D