Sign in to follow this  
PaddyBricksplitter

PTV 2015 Large: Repel Boarders!

Avast ye scurvy dogs!

Here be my entry for the PTV Large section. It features the carnage on deck as two ships are locked in mortal combat. It was inspired by all those lovely romantic paintings of navel battles, but with extra gore. Hope ya like it :D

22034634910_123d533ac8_c.jpg

Hey, that is just the action Phred must have had in mind!

Thanks capt'n I tried to stick to the competition brief. Glad you like it.

My money's on the monkey... :grin:

Really nice build! :thumbup:

The monkey is a valuable and dangerous part if the crew.

Very nice build and the action is fantastic. :thumbup:

Thank you :)

This is one of the best entries! It captures the carnage perfectly. The two burned bodies! Cannon taking off the guys head! The fire!!! The madness!

Very well done.

The numerouse flames are very impressive and dangerous. The poor girl with handcuffs should be horrified to look at the head. There is another face with a sad expression at the back. Maybe its better to change.

This is one of the best entries! It captures the carnage perfectly. The two burned bodies! Cannon taking off the guys head! The fire!!! The madness!

Very well done.

Oh the humanity! Thank you, happy you like it :)

I'm loving all the action there, really a great entry!

Thank you, appreciate it.

This is very cool build. Great job, very clever!

Thanks buddy!

The numerouse flames are very impressive and dangerous. The poor girl with handcuffs should be horrified to look at the head. There is another face with a sad exp<b></b>ression at the back. Maybe its better to change.

You know she did have a screaming face originally but I changed it to add some variety. Also I think she has been driven mad by the Pirates and is having a little bit of a breakdown:O

Only one picture says it all in this MOC. Absolutely fantastic! The action is superb! I even ducked in case the cannonball hit me out of the screen! And all these colors... THIS is a true "pillage the village" minded entry!!!

Edited by blackdeathgr

Now that is one serious action scene - definitely Out For Blood. It really keeps the eye busy, aided no doubt by the low angle and well-placed minifigs. My favorite part is the monkey and pirate descending on the ropes - of all the weapons he could be carrying, he has a bottle! I also like the toppled and burning mast; it just looks so natural with the trans-orange round up top with fire shooting up it. The cannonball path is so well executed that it looks like a digital alteration at first glance. There doesn't seem to be a clear victor though. Perhaps they're still fighting...

Good work.

Only one picture says it all in this MOC. Absolutely fantastic! The action is superb! I even ducked in case the cannonball hit me out of the screen! And all these colors... THIS is a true "pillage the village" minded entry!!!

Ha ha XD I did try and make sure it had a focus on gory action.

Now that is one serious action scene - definitely Out For Blood. It really keeps the eye busy, aided no doubt by the low angle and well-placed minifigs. My favorite part is the monkey and pirate descending on the ropes - of all the weapons he could be carrying, he has a bottle! I also like the toppled and burning mast; it just looks so natural with the trans-orange round up top with fire shooting up it. The cannonball path is so well executed that it looks like a digital alteration at first glance. There doesn't seem to be a clear victor though. Perhaps they're still fighting...

Good work.

Well, pirates love their rum, they carry it everywhere even into battle. Regarding the placement of minifigs I repositioned them many times, every time I changed something I took a picture. I ended up with over 100 photographs from start to finish of the build. I saw Mocs with rockets and shells before so I thought I'd give it a go. Thanks for the kind words.

That guy losing his head made me spill my drink. Hahaha. :D

Another superb build!

Now that's the reaction I wanted :D Always good to get a laugh.

The quality of the picture is amazing. I am still trying to figure out how you made the bullet hold?

This is simply brilliant!

The quality of the picture is amazing. I am still trying to figure out how you made the bullet hold?

This is simply brilliant!

Thanks mate. The cannon ball piece has a connection for a stud on the bottom, it's attached to the trans pieces from the cannon, nothing clever I'm afraid. If you mean the head it's just sitting on top of the ball.

I don't know if anyone else uses tools when building but I use tweezers to move and place the smaller loose pieces and mini figs. There's a bunch of them on the deck too. Because of this if I accidentally smack the base of the moc they all shift and the monkey and the pirate on the ropes start swinging and take ages to stop, making it a pain to photograph.

Wow... That's Impressive

Thank you. I like your entry. I too saw it today on Flickr, very bloody and well built. Edited by PaddyBricksplitter

Ha! I knew the head was just standing on the cannonball!! I was thinking the other day about the patience you needed to make it stay there!

Love it! The all-Lego look really makes this stand out from all the other entries, and the way that the photo is framed with the flames is a really nice touch.

Love it! The all-Lego look really makes this stand out from all the other entries, and the way that the photo is framed with the flames is a really nice touch.

Thanks very much. I saw your entry as I follow you on Flickr, it's really creative especially regarding the mini figs.

I built this moc starting with the framing of the scene. Blocked it out in basic bricks then gradually added pieces. Usually people build a moc then think about the photo. I found this method creates good images which I think is just as important as a good build. Of course this way I ended up with about 140 photos XD before it was finished. Hmmm..maybe that makes me seem a little crazy :P

It was a question I always had, do great MOCer think of the photography before building... It looks like I got my answer... I am currently struggling taking good pictures of my entry.

For the fun of it, would you have a behind the scene picture available?

Thanks very much. I saw your entry as I follow you on Flickr, it's really creative especially regarding the mini figs.

I built this moc starting with the framing of the scene. Blocked it out in basic bricks then gradually added pieces. Usually people build a moc then think about the photo. I found this method creates good images which I think is just as important as a good build. Of course this way I ended up with about 140 photos XD before it was finished. Hmmm..maybe that makes me seem a little crazy :P

It was a question I always had, do great MOCer think of the photography before building... It looks like I got my answer...

Personally, I am currently struggling taking good pictures of my entry.

For the fun of it, would you have a behind the scene picture available?

When I first started building I made the Mocs first. Then one time after spending 2 weeks on a moc I took some photos that were disappointing and didn't show off my model well.

That's when I realised it was not just a Lego moc I was making but a picture as well. Now I often take pictures as I work to make sure I am thinking of the image too. What's the best angle for the picture, should it be landscape or portrait etc..

I was thinking of posting my wip photos for this build on my Flickr account. I think it's interesting to see how an idea changes from start to finish. Like I said I do have over 100 of them.

Edited by PaddyBricksplitter