Arctic_Ace

Should LEGO bring back a dedicated space theme?

Personally, I'd go bankrupt buying up CS sets made in the classic blue/grey/trans-yellow. Benny' sSS was enough to whet my appetite, and I've been fortunate enough to find portions of my Galaxy Explorer and some outposts.

Eh, I know very well what you are talking about as I literally gone thru that some time ago (having complete TLG Space sets which basically ruined me but hey I can say I HAVE THEM ALL maybe except like 10 sets or so and all IN PRISTINE CONDITION like if they were made just yesterday tho some are like 35+ years old...)... :laugh::devil::wacko:

Edited by bublible

Everyone has their favourite flavour. It looks like people want a revival of the theme(s) they grew up with. Personally, I'd go bankrupt buying up CS sets made in the classic blue/grey/trans-yellow. Benny' sSS was enough to whet my appetite, and I've been fortunate enough to find portions of my Galaxy Explorer and some outposts. Which brings me to another point. What I missed most about the latest Space sets was an actual outpost, space station, moon base, whatever. So now, the plan is for saving funds for a massive Bricklink order for my own CS revival.

I'll be honest and say I do not want to see a revival of Insectoids. Leave my beautiful babies alone! Please! :laugh: a CMF mini figure would be nice, but not a theme! :laugh:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

I'll be honest and say I do not want to see a revival of Insectoids. Leave my beautiful babies alone! Please! :laugh: a CMF mini figure would be nice, but not a theme! :laugh:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Now thats a strange approach to a favorite theme. Why would that be?

I would definitely say yes to a remake on my favorite Ice Planet theme - provided the color scheme is kept (though I dont think I would say no to it even if it didnt keep the color scheme, or to any space theme, the way things are).

Edited by Ardelon

Because a remake is never as good as the original! Except to people who didn't know the original before.

I would like exploration based (80s & 90s) stuff again (but we know we will only get conflict based stuff), even though Blacktron was my favourite followed by Space Police (1 & 2). The conflict wasn't the main focus back then though, it was just part of it. The last time we had a space base was 2010, but it was essentially just another black & white police station. (A really cool set mind you!) It would be nice to have something like the bases of old in a vivid colour scheme like Nexo Knights for example.

And big flying spaceships. Rovers and mechs are great, but ships please. With stupid coloured windscreens. Or everything in black, but sometimes very dark grey. :wink:

I would love to see a return to the Classic Space theme, with elements from newer versions like the Exo-Suit and the Intergalactic Girl CMF.

I would definitely say yes to a remake on my favorite Ice Planet theme - provided the color scheme is kept (though I dont think I would say no to it even if it didnt keep the color scheme, or to any space theme, the way things are).

They should have plenty of parts in those colors with Nexo Knights coming out.

Edited by x105Black

Because a remake is never as good as the original! Except to people who didn't know the original before.

In many cases I'd agree, but personally I hardly think there's a single theme from the late 90s that LEGO couldn't do better today! In general that was not a very good time for LEGO set designs.

However, I do generally think they can achieve more by creating new themes based on a similar concept than directly remaking or rebooting themes. Even as a big fan of Rock Raiders, there's no doubt in my mind that Power Miners is the superior underground theme. Better set designs, better monster designs, and much more humor. Its human characters didn't feel like such a ragtag bunch of misfits, but they had plenty of charm in their own right. And I loved Power Miners' brighter (and in many ways, more realistic) color palette.

I think Benny's Spaceship Spaceship Spaceship is every bit as good as the old stuff, and I love the Exo Suit. I have no doubts a reboot COULD be better than anything made before. They just have to not make stupid obvious mistakes like

- Giving space minifigs aviator helmets *cough* Space Police 3

- Not giving the minifigs air tanks (Mars Mission)

Etc.

Yeah, there is already a revival of old theme through the Lego movie, and no doubt that the second will bring its load of toys.

Being there in the early 80's, I too think that Benny's spaceship has everything of the legoland space theme, only improved.

There are also Lego Ideas projects that you can vote for.

Lego won't mass-produce something that's not for kids, and a new space theme for kids would undoubtly end up ugly like those Exo Knights. Good old space minifigs are only for us old people.

I don't know about a dedicated Space theme however so long as LEGO does release an original line every couple of years then I will be content. While Star Wars is generally good and I can recall my initial excitement when the collaboration started back in 1999, sixteen years is enough to fatigue anyone even if they are a big fan of the films which are good, just not the only saga through space out there.

Anyway my desires for an 'in-house' Space theme by LEGO aside from some fresh originality would be to see the many good translucent colors from the older astronaut teams return such as trans-green or trans-blue for example in the windscreens, antennas, etcetera. Lately almost all options have been restricted to trans-clear, trans-brown, and trans-black on windscreens which is alright in some cases especially realism yet those hues do not standout compared to the more vibrant tones used in years past. The likes of Futuron, Spyrius, or Ice Planet made a mark for their signature color schemes.

I can understand LEGO's reasoning behind designing the sets to have clear-cut "good & bad" sides duking each other out as it was with Space Police III or Alien Conquest. However going back to basics of exploring the universe could be a good thing. Even better if they included otherworldly life forms as friendlies instead of the clichéd enemies bent on fighting, destruction, galactic conquest, or whatever it is this time. As mentioned, perhaps they could do something along the line of life in outer space. If LEGO is rather set in requiring an opposing faction then how about a group of space miners searching for rare ores across different worlds which inevitably leads to encounters with the local wildlife?

They just have to not make stupid obvious mistakes like

- Giving space minifigs aviator helmets *cough* Space Police 3

- Not giving the minifigs air tanks (Mars Mission)

Etc.

Although I don't mind a few Space characters sporting the aviator type headgear, the regular biker's helmet or even the newer style helmet (Series 1 Spaceman) is preferred. Galaxy Patrol's spacemarine helmet is real cool but no visor option. Whatever the helmet, air tanks are a necessary accessory or at least I would like to be given the option to have one or not.

Edited by TheOrcKing

Good topic. This may seem far-fetched.. Or maybe not.. I don't know.. but, I'd like to see a Neo-Classic space series. With the modern versions of the classic space (with the green ones, too), it'd be a major hit! Imagine, neo-classic spaceships using new guys, new lego designs, new bricks, but with a bit of an old feel. Just a bit. Hm.. Space Police IV would be cool too, as I liked all the Space Police sets, be it I,II or III.

Neo Classic space would be amazing!

I think the 6929 Starfleet Voyager - set is still one of the best designed Spaceships Lego has ever released. (at least best looking)

It'd be great if they would reimagine those sets and expand the theme with microscale Cruisers and Explorer Type ships and Bases. That would be seriously awesome!

Hmm it's funny, but even as a kid i never knew what to do with a Space police theme. :wacko:

I was thinking, as shafted as Space is in favor of SW, since two out of the last three Space waves have had multiple waves (and Alien Conquest was slated to get one, FWIW), thats not so bad - the Pirate fans only have one wave themes every few years for example. And the CMF offerings are many and close between. So its not such a dark age for Space after all.

Yayks, man, you absolutely perfectly summarized it and I completely agree with you on this matter - I couldn't say it better myself! :thumbup:

Strongly agree as well. It's hard to top the blue, white and trans neon orange of ice planet. Any new space set needs strong color individuality, I use ice planet 2k2 because for me that was the perfect series that had everything a lot of sets lacked; it had a big base, a big flying ship, great smaller vehicles.... and for the mini figs; trans neon skis! And chainsaw! and never seen before visor! It may have also been one of the first space sets out of the gate to not use the conventional smiling lego face (not that there is anything wrong with that) and have 2 men characters and a woman. I also like how they had a story with lots of room to imagine. We knew knew they were scientists that were more or less to themselves studying rockets but blacktron 2 and spyrius were always there lurking in the shadows trying to steal tech from them. It was cool how that plugged in and by virtue so did space police.

Edited by mitchlt