alex54

MOC corner modular building

I’m happy to show you my work on my latest modular building moc, which is my first corner house too ! It was a long time since I didn’t show you my work, the last presentation was in 2012 with an update of an older modular moc.

So, I have in mind to make a corner house for a very long time, with this sketch drawn on paper :

modular_05_sketch.jpg

I would like to have a tower of windows and glasses, with a spherical roof on top, like I have in town.

I would like to give it some touché of steel, in particular for the first floor, with studs visible, like bolts with metallic structure, and a porch roof covering the shop windows.

After a first try, I came up with this :

modular_05_version_01.jpg

I was happy with the first floor, the porch roof, the tower, but not the rest. And particularly, I dislike the fact that the white steel posts weren’t aligned with the one of the store windows. The fact that I have some odd studs for the shop windows makes harder the way to make the other level and center the windows on walls.

So, I decided to destroy the other floors and came up with this try :

modular_05_version_02.jpg

The result is smoother and looks better for me, with the white strips aligned from first floor to third one. But because I am a Cartesian man, I don’t like the fact that the frame made by the white strips don’t have the same number of studs : 6 for the bigger, 5 for the center and 4 near the tower. The difference between the smaller frames is not very visible, but I wasn’t satisfied by this. And this is why LEGO is so cool, you can change and try again and again to find what really satisfy you!

With the snot technique used for the windows in walls, I had to change the color of the wall. Good by beloved red dark, hello more common dark grey. Not that bad after all.

I spent some times without working on it, but I always had in mind this first floor and this tower and the question on how to make them compatible was still here.

So I took the decision to modify my first floor, with less spots, giving me more flexibility for the upper floors. And I decided to give the building an asymmetric look, with a kind of second tower. I left the steel frame aspect and came up with a more organic architecture : I tried to put some “art nouveau” elements. I love “art nouveau” building, I live in a city with lots of this architecture. It’s not that easy to make this style with bricks, but I like personal challenges.

The color scheme has changed too, with some more neutral aspect, using the always effective tan.

And when I saw the news Elves fences in sand green, I couldn’t resist using them! So the sand green would be my secondary touch of color, enhanced with dark green on top of windows and on top of fences.

And now the result, with the rear view, nothing really interesting, the minimum service:

modular_05_version_0303.jpg

The general view :

modular_05_version_0305.jpg

I would prefer some dark green 1x1 round plates instead of dark grey, for the tower, but those pieces don’t exist in this color.

The front view from the regular front :

modular_05_version_0304.jpg

The curved windows lakes some white prints to have the frame aspect, like the regular windows above. If TLC product this building, it will print it as special part for this set! ^^

The view from the asymmetric front:

modular_05_version_0302.jpg

The porch under the second tower is made with sand green brick textured bricks

That’s all for now, nothing inside this building, likein all my modular moc. Maybe one day…

I hope you have enjoyed reading this post, even if my English goes bad, because of the lake of practice…

Edited by alex54
Please keep embedded images to a max. resolution of 1024 x 768 (or 768 x 1024 in your case). Changed images to thumbnails.

I like the tower and your solution for the dome. I'm not yet convinced by the ground floor.

Very cool MOC, and thanks for sharing the design process with us. That was an interesting read, and I always like it if people post a little background instead of just the pictures of their MOCs.

Out of the two first design stages, I liked the dark red one better - did you ever think about changing things round and changing the pillar structure on the first floor instead of on the upper floors? You could have used two 1x4x6 windows beneath the wide dark red area, then continue the one stud white pillar down to the ground, and close the gap towards the corner window with a transparent 1x2x5 brick without supports and a transclear 1x2 to get it to the same height.

I completely understand why you wanted to build that curved tower, it always is a striking design choice. Incidently, I built a building with a curved tower aswell, though it's not completely made out of glass - see the pic & link in my signature :classic:

Edited by RogerSmith

I really like both solutions! I do not have a problem with the post alignment between the ground floor and the upper floors, sometimes this happens in actual buildings. For me, the alignment is a matter of choice. It is your building and you don't like the posts out of alignment, so it is your choice.

One of the main differences is the number of windows on the upper floors, the smaller windows give the illusion of more and smaller interior spaces, the larger windows give the illusion of fewer and potentially larger interior spaces. For me neither is necessarily better, just a design choice.

Great modular building!

Andy D

Thanks for the replies!

Very cool MOC, and thanks for sharing the design process with us. That was an interesting read, and I always like it if people post a little background instead of just the pictures of their MOCs.

I like to share the process of creation, to show the work done on MOC, and that you don’t come with a good result with the first try.

Out of the two first design stages, I liked the dark red one better - did you ever think about changing things round and changing the pillar structure on the first floor instead of on the upper floors? You could have used two 1x4x6 windows beneath the wide dark red area, then continue the one stud white pillar down to the ground, and close the gap towards the corner window with a transparent 1x2x5 brick without supports and a transclear 1x2 to get it to the same height.

I have tried a lot of things to have some alignment, but without success. I understand what you explain, but I don’t like to put some 1x2 trans brick on a 1x2x5 one, because of the connection of the bricks, seeing the studs connections. I know that I’m very demanding!

It was hard to reconcile the number of studs available from the ground floor and the upper floors. The curved tower doesn’t have the same number of studs in its right of way than the curved section of the ground floor, there were 5 studs between two pillars, except for the extreme basis, which was 6 (because I need a door in this section)…

This is why I have reduced the number of pillars and the general style of building. I keep in mind a building with frame architecture, but for another MOC!

I completely understand why you wanted to build that curved tower, it always is a striking design choice. Incidently, I built a building with a curved tower aswell, though it's not completely made out of glass - see the pic & link in my signature

Yes, I really like this kind of tower! Yours looks good too! I really like the light yellow with the white, that works very well! :thumbup:

I really like both solutions! I do not have a problem with the post alignment between the ground floor and the upper floors, sometimes this happens in actual buildings. For me, the alignment is a matter of choice. It is your building and you don't like the posts out of alignment, so it is your choice.

One of the main differences is the number of windows on the upper floors, the smaller windows give the illusion of more and smaller interior spaces, the larger windows give the illusion of fewer and potentially larger interior spaces. For me neither is necessarily better, just a design choice.

Great modular building!

Andy D

Yes it’s only a question of choice ! Not that easy to be so demanding with myself! :wacko::laugh:

Very interesting to read about the choices you made! The final result is great and will be an nice addition to your modular street :classic:

This is gorgeous! Love how you have done the shopfront and the dome.

I quite like the grey version as well, although the fact that the outer sections are slightly wider would bug me too!

9198929916_b0540e73a9_o.png

Great to see the process.

Personally, i think the blue version looked most harmonious with maybe just the windows needing a bit more decoration

This is gorgeous! Love how you have done the shopfront and the dome.

I quite like the grey version as well, although the fact that the outer sections are slightly wider would bug me too!

9198929916_b0540e73a9_o.png

Thanks for blogging it Kristel!

Seeing your MOC, it seems that you are demanding with yoursefl too, with nice and proper buidlings!

Maybe I will try to rebuilt your dark green and tan house, which I love a lot! If I have your autorisation!

Great to see the process.

Personally, i think the blue version looked most harmonious with maybe just the windows needing a bit more decoration

It seems that the grey version was well loved! ^^