badchriss

What got you into collecting Lego as an Adult?

I put my Legos in a box when I was 10, then dug them out at 30 when I quit drinking. Building really takes my mind off things, although it can become an addiction in itself.

I started sorting all my legos in order to sell them and somehow it hasn't exactly gone to plan. My first purchase after this was 2016-05-23%2015.18.56.jpg?dl=0 and I want to continue with some larger ucs sets. I still plan to sell of most of my collection but I now plan on using some of that money to buy new sets

Stress release. I needed something to take my mind off of work. I saw the Mini Cooper while with my boys at the Lego land in Kansas City and new that I had t get back into Legos. Since then it has been just picking whatever interested me and building away. It really is a great stress relief.

Well I also never stopped being a fan. I stopped buying/building sets for a while, but I always fetched the catalogs every year from the local toy store, so I have a complete collection of catalogs from 1981-today :classic:

What got you into collecting Lego as an Adult?

I am collecting the sets that I wanted to have as a child, so mainly from 1980-1995.

Modern sets don't appeal to me in most cases, there are only few exceptions. The majority of the modern sets, CMFs etc. look ugly to me.

Lego for me is a form of escapism and it reminds me of my youth (good times). It gives you the power to create stories. I love this creativity that lego can give.

It was the early Star Wars and Ferrari F1 ranges that brought me back to Lego, but more important for me was the discovery of LDraw and then BrickLink which took me beyond set collecting and into digital design and MOCing.

Well I also never stopped being a fan. I stopped buying/building sets for a while, but I always fetched the catalogs every year from the local toy store, so I have a complete collection of catalogs from 1981-today :classic:

Almost the same story for me. Last purchase was the Century Skyway Airport in the mid 90s. I never put away my bricks, even though I did not buy new ones. And selling my bricks? No way, José! - I did not bring my collection, though, the first years after I moved to my own place, due to lack of space. Then in the beginning of the new millenium I began to have a wish to start building again, and I found the Blue Team Transport which fitted well my wish of having public transport in my city, so I acquired three of these. And then slowly thereafter more and more sets followed. - Catalogues I have collected ever since I was a child, and I have often found my way to the LEGO shelves in stores to see what was going on.

One can say that my dark age was at the most "light bley" :wink:

Edited by laka

I had stopped buying LEGOS by the time I started middle school. They never crossed my mind for the longest time. We had got my daughter a bucket of bricks for one her birthdays but even then I still did not get into it again.

Then one day last December I saw the swamp police station set for half off at a department store. My wife and I said what the heck and got it.

Not having touched a LEGO in nearly 20 years and seeing the way LEGO was making big jeeps and other assemblies I became hooked again. >.> Now I buy way too much LEGO per month but it really is enjoyable. I build with my kids and generally just a ball tearing stuff apart and making new wacky stuff out of all the bricks. Creative hobby is creative. I don't think I will stop collecting ever now.

I could only get lego from buying a can of milk powder which gave me a small lego as a free gift. Before I can earn myself the money, there's no way for me to buy expensive legos. That's why I collect legos as an adult.

I was on vacation to New York in May 2011, and I was asked by my brother in law to help him get some LEGO sets (he wanted the Death Star and other big sets), since USA was selling LEGO at a far cheaper price than my home country (even with sales tax added in).

It was when I saw the Emerald Night in Times Square Toys"r"us, I was mightily impressed by how it looked. Though it alone wasn't enough to suck me in. Then I went to Rockefeller Center's LEGO shop and saw a assembled display of the newly released Mearsk Train. That did the trick.

Death Star set 10188. Actually I was eyeing the UCS Millennium Falcon when it first came out but never bought it. Biggest regret for a Lego set I ever made. I managed to bricklinked it last year and now am slowly building my own Lego city.

I got bored from playing on my Wii in my last year of high school, and decided to pick up collecting Lego sets again. Been doing it on and off for the last few years, mostly when I have time and/or money to buy things.

I got interested again after I saw the highly detailed MOCs people on here and other places were making. Also bricklink kept me interested after I got started

6253 Shipwreck Hideout.

I randomly saw that in an ad and decided immediately that I had to have it. Which happened the same day.

A building. A bridge. The girl! It was love at first sight.

Then I collected all the other pirates sets, then other random sets from other themes...

After 2010 I wandered off, until more pirates. It is my truest love.