Sven J

My first MOC: 1:30 Krupp Knapsack 0-6-0T

Dear AFOL community,

after reading this forum for quite a long time, I decided to present some of my MOCs.

Being a railroad enthusiast and model collector, I found that some of my favourite locomotives were not available from model train manufacturers. So two or three years ago, my "dark ages" were over (after nearly 20 years), and I began designing and building my own locomotive models with LEGO bricks.

The first MOC I would like to show is my 1:30 scale model of the little Krupp "Knapsack" 0-6-0T industrial steam locomotive, as operated by the Hespertalbahn museum railway in Essen (Germany), not far from my home town (for engine details, you might want to take a look at the German web page https://de.wikipedia.../Krupp_Knapsack).

At the time of designing this MOC, I did not have enough space for a track layout, so I chose to build it as an unmotorized static display model, which helped make the engine frame as detailed as possible.

In order to achieve a more prototypical look, I used a couple of non-LEGO parts: BBB XL drive wheels, self-made stickers and a black rubber band around the "smokebox door" to hide the gap between the two parabolic dishes. The lamp glasses are glued into place, purists may forgive me...

So here are the pictures:

800x752.jpg

800x533.jpg

800x533.jpg

800x1200.jpg

800x533.jpg

800x1200.jpg

The cab interior:

800x1200.jpg

800x533.jpg

800x533.jpg

Larger versions of the images can be found here: http://bricksafe.com...derlok/knapsack

I hope you'll enjoy,

best wishes

Sven

Edited by Tenderlok

Wow, just wow. That model looks wonderful! And man so big! But those cab details are wonderful in this scale!!

Very detailed :classic:

Does it have a motor?

No, it's unmotorized, as I wanted it for display only. But some PF-driven models are in the making... :wink:

Welcome to Eurobricks. Great work for a first MOC. :thumbup: I take it you've done model building outside of LEGO before?. :classic:

I wasn't expecting much when I clicked on a link for a 0-6-0T. After the initial speechlessness, now I cannot find enough superlatives to describe my amazement. Wow! Awesome! Spectacular! This creation really shows that there are few limits to the possibilities of Lego. Great job! Looking forward to more of your creative works.

The detailing on your MOC is incredible. Everywhere you look the features are out of the ballpark. I especially like the creative use of 1x2x2 windows for the front steps and the coffee cup for the headlight. But the syringe as the sight glass is clever too (as is the rest of the cab). Then the more common detailing is also so complete, e.g., the pipes from the sand dome. You are definitely taking advantage of everything 12 wide gives you (looks good on the LGB tracks... or are those O gauge?). Impressive work!

I take it you've done model building outside of LEGO before?. :classic:

Oh, just a little bit... :wink:

You are definitely taking advantage of everything 12 wide gives you (looks good on the LGB tracks... or are those O gauge?)

It's Märklin gauge 1 track. But due to the low rail profile, it is suitable for display only, as the wheel flanges hit the rail ties. For motorized models, I have to use the higher LGB track.

Simply wonderfull, I'm very happy that other people are thinking about the exact scale modelling with Lego. The static modelling is perhaps the way to achieve the best results, as I said elsewhere (http://www.eurobrick...howtopic=115207).

Yes, I saw your astonishing Mallet. Your model was an encouragement for me to post this topic, as I became aware that I am not the only guy who builds LEGO locomotives larger than the usual style. So, double thanks!

That's quite a detailed little tank engine you've built. There's so much there that it almost seems a spot on replica. Everything from the greebling to the connectors are included. Keep it up. I can't wait to see your next project.