Rick

10251 Brick Bank

I think it's just the the second storey looks tall but the first floor hasn't extended. Like LegoSjaak said, proportions are wrong. But it is awesome to see still :)

Here's my modified Brick Bank. I own the Emporium, Palace Cinema, and Detective's Office, so when I got the Brick Bank I knew I needed to 'de-cornerize' one of the buildings, and the Bank seems to have the least need to be on a corner. There's a few things I've changed along the street, like the limo, and I've got a 'Hollywood Walk of Fame' all along the front street if you can make it out in the photo. I am missing a palm tree on the right though (Bricklink here I come!).

TPj2IWP.jpg

Edited by mouseketeer

Here's my modified Brick Bank.

That looks great. Did you need extra pieces to do it?

Thanks! I didn't use any extra pieces, although there is one cheat - there isn't a wall on the right side (where the laundromat is), but because I knew I was putting this right by the Emporium, I figured that wouldn't really matter too much.

Here's my modified Brick Bank. I own the Emporium, Palace Cinema, and Detective's Office, so when I got the Brick Bank I knew I needed to 'de-cornerize' one of the buildings, and the Bank seems to have the least need to be on a corner. There's a few things I've changed along the street, like the limo, and I've got a 'Hollywood Walk of Fame' all along the front street if you can make it out in the photo. I am missing a palm tree on the right though (Bricklink here I come!).

Looks supper cool that way. And i do see the hollywood walk of fame all over. Very cool.

Well Mosch, that is looking prettu good actually, but like you said.. bricklinking parts is expensive... and i would need about 38 sand grey window (for my XL version)...and they are 1,50 euro each...hmmm... so 57 euros for the windows only....well...that is way to expensive for only windows..maybe later this year.... But it will look great in real bricks..!! Mine would look like this.. 24479101475_ec5cc70919_h.jpg

Omg, is that with just 2 Brick Banks!? is there a MOC page for this or an LDD file? This looks way better than the single set, makes me want to buy 2 to do this.

Edit: In my excitement I neglected to read the rest of the thread (very impressive indeed Sjaak)

Edited by ncx

Omg, is that with just 2 Brick Banks!? is there a MOC page for this or an LDD file? This looks way better than the single set, makes me want to buy 2 to do this.

Edit: In my excitement I neglected to read the rest of the thread (very impressive indeed Sjaak)

NCX, this is not with two sets only...here you will need an extra row of windows..... The version i post a picture of here, is made of two sets and a few extra bricks...besides that there are a lot of sparebricks!! https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1519/24260378961_421239f4dd_h.jpg

Edited by Rick
Please keep embedded images to a max. of 1024 x 768 pixels

I tried my hand at building the additional floor in real bricks, but unfortunatly I can not finish it until my bricklink order arrives. Sandgreen windows are quite expensive tbh...

Here are some WIP shots:

B7HOqOWh.jpg

BAOvhJhh.jpg

I think it works quite well proportionwise because of the horizontal line dividing the upper floors and making them smaller in comparison to the grand first floor.

Also the whole bank is now higher than the grand emporium and looks even bigger than it is due to the big high windows.

Yes! That's how I envisioned a taller Brick Bank to look like. You added significant height to the building while keeping the proportions looking harmonious.

Here are some WIP shots:

This looks really good so far! My only suggestion would be to have a square column on the corner (like in the original) to avoid the asymmetry of the columns.

Really enjoying looking at the modifications done to the Brick Bank. I built mine last weekend and like many I also found the BB to be quite short. Think it is the general trend that modular buildings have become more elaborate on the interior, at the expense of exterior details. Having said that, the whole process of building BB was still very enjoyable. The modular series remains my main Lego passion, a tradition I look forward to every year. Like to share some pictures I took of the modulars too. :)

ad736a8c-3865-405b-9e61-be128112a1fd_zpstqnsl56p.jpg

40_zpskvpq1vqe.jpg

45_zpscbu4t0oy.jpg

43_zpsrj1wcpa8.jpg

a_zps5as5vvud.jpg

u_zpsn4qxbzts.jpg

g_zpsf2nkjvdh.jpg

x_zpsfjufumm7.jpg

As the levels are different heights, how have you addressed the interior stairs?

Since the difference is exactly one Brick I just used a stair element offset one stud from the original position.

Since the difference is exactly one Brick I just used a stair element offset one stud from the original position.

Really like what you've done with the BB so far. Looks much better with that extra floor.

Today I got the last bricks I needed from bricklink and have finnished my modded second floor. The exterior is like the first floor but one brick less in height and the floor flush to the windows. Making that got me quite a headache and the structure is still more or less fragile. The interior features two office desks and a break room in the first floor and the official furniture in the new second floor.

LSDrS9uh.jpgq8zhFhNh.jpg

FEpqxVzh.jpg

As a bonus I also added a small cash machine to the side:

mZMlQd0h.jpg

Edited by DrJosephMosch

It does look quite good overall, but I have some doubts...

I would replace the 2x2 bricks in the columns for your new floor with round bricks, how come you chose not to? Maybe even the square plates in the columns can be replaced with round ones to have a smoother transition between the floors?

I understand you put a lot of effort into making the new floor one brick lower for the symmetry's sake (same distance between second and third floor windows as third floor and top windows) . But I am not completely convinced about the windows going all the way down to the floor. Did you decrease the height of the new floor in your design, before you even built it, or did you try the original height first?

Edited by bjorn77

It does look quite good overall, but I have some doubts...

I would replace the 2x2 bricks in the columns for your new floor with round bricks, how come you chose not to? Maybe even the square plates in the columns can be replaced with round ones to have a smoother transition between the floors?

I understand you put a lot of effort into making the new floor one brick lower for the symmetry's sake (same distance between second and third floor windows as third floor and top windows) . But I am not completely convinced about the windows going all the way down to the floor. Did you decrease the height of the new floor in your design, before you even built it, or did you try the original height first?

First, thanks for your opinion. You make some good points.

Unfortunatly there is no way to building this with round plates and still keeping it somewhat sturdy. I thought about replacing the 2x2 bricks, but this doesn't work for the same reason than the plates. Also it looks too strong having just the plates stick out and I think this is a reasonable compromise between form and function.

As for the height, I tried stacking the original floor in LDD but that destroyed the symmetry of the build in my opinion.

My concern is the cash machine right in front of a window. Something seems off about that. Granted I think realistically and LEGO never is realistic.

I just finished building my Brick Bank today, Did anyone else end up with an extra 1x4 dark bley plate piece from the bag 3's? I went back over the steps and didn't find anything I might of missed. That's not a part they would give you extras. Thanks.