Rick

10251 Brick Bank

I can't find how to put picture on this post, but as you guys have seen already, I found two colour scheme of this set, Tan and white..Does this 2016 Brick bank have colour variation?

I can't find how to put picture on this post, but as you guys have seen already, I found two colour scheme of this set, Tan and white..Does this 2016 Brick bank have colour variation?

No, it's white, not tan. The confusion comes from a bad lightning or wrong colour process in some of the renders.

No, it's white, not tan. The confusion comes from a bad lightning or wrong colour process in some of the renders.

I see. Thanks it looks better in white than tan coloured. :wub:

The odd thing about the tan variant is that the clock face on that picture is clearly white.

So do you think it is a Jamie set? It reminds me a lot of Town Hall, so maybe Astrid? I hope it is Jamie though. M

I can't remember where I had read about it but, I read an web forum that she had resigned her role as a Lego designer. But two of her modular buildings -town hall and palace cinema- had transparent white lightnings of the building, not transparent yellow lightning of Jamie's modular buildings. Since this modular has white transparent lightnings...perhaps..Astrid or other designers done this work? maybe this clue is too weak to guess who the designer has done this another beautiful modular set. :laugh:

Edited by jaesroe

Wow, nice, so we'll get a new modular in January after all. Good news!

Initial impression is MUCH better then the DO, but several pros and cons come to mind:

PRO:

- Really like the exterior design of the entire set, especially the bank. Looks even better with an additional floor.

- I think having the laundromat in a (visually) separate building is a nice change as it breaks up the previous scheme of corner buildings which had more or less mirrored facades (there's a downside to this, though).

- some nice parts (especially the sand green windows, yum!) and excellent part usages/building techiques throughout

CON:

- several building features are only there to serve the storyline :thumbdown:

- top floor of the laundromat 'building' is incoroprated into the bank. While things like that are done in real life at times, I just don't like this new practice of having visually separate buildings on the outside that are treated as one on the inside. DO suffered from the same flaw (and it was even worse for that one, hence I created my MOD/MOC)...

Right now, I'm still on the fence here, but I think I'll just get it and build it as per instructions at first, maybe add an additional floor. I'm itching to mitigate the faux facade flaw, but doing so would mean to extend the bank to take up the entire 32x32 baseplate and creating a separate laundromat MOC... but I really like the 'two buildings' look on the outside.

Edit: It's also cool to see the return of the frog! Nice throwback to the early modulars, which almost all included one.

Edited by RogerSmith

Why do you think these images are rendered?

It's ok. It still feels very clumsy in the detailing, as did the DO. I don't like how much the textured walls stick out on the ground floor and then suddenly ends at the arches, even if I know why it has to be like that. I also don't like on the second floor how only one side of the corner will have that raked texture and the other side won't - surely they could have found a more elegant way to do that. The proportions are oddly stumpy as a whole and definitely not as grand as a Neo Classical building should be. Gringotts Bank from the Diagon Alley set was actually better detailed in my option. The laundromat part of the facade is actually my favorite part, and I have no qualms with the two businesses sharing a block - happens all the time in New York anyway.

I've been waiting for those sand green windows for years now, so that it easily the best thing for me.

This seems to be the first corner building that is designed to showcase a specific side of the corner. Depending on how you display your modulars that means less flexibility in placing this building so that the bank side is prominent. But that's ok.

I think it looks very good, especially the facade, which is what I care most about. I think Lego are making small versions that kinda work on their own, but would look better if you buy 2 sets and expand it... This one certainly needs another story to fulfill it's potential, so it is nice that they made it in an affordable color for bricklinking. The one thing I don't see myself liking is the shield floor. It just looks messy, especially with those colors combined.

No, the building style isn't even remotely art-deco, I was just referring to the color of the window frames. Sand green or oxidized copper was commonly used in Art-Deco and Art-Noveau, which is why these are so fantastic for MOC's Though they work pretty good here too.

I agree. Neoclassical (as would befit a 'traditional' building such as a bank in the 1930s) but with some art nouveau elements such as the colour and fences to bring it up to the modular era. Not sure why they changed the sand green elves fences for black though. I think they would have fitted quite well as sand green.

I'm glad it's not 'impressive' as it will work better with the other buildings. Being white it will certainly stand out against the others anyway, and if it were grander or larger it would dominate far too much. I really like the additional floor mod - and it would look even better as a 4 storey building. Fantastic.

I also like how it is continent-independent. I think this is the first one they have made which could look equally well in a European street or American. The Pet Shop brown building being the only other - and that is also European leaning with the details.

I also like how it is continent-independent. I think this is the first one they have made which could look equally well in a European street or American. The Pet Shop brown building being the only other - and that is also European leaning with the details.

Totally agree on this one. Minor modding to make it fit into ones town is ok. But the work DO and PC need to fit my town is a bit much.

I think it's alright! :thumbup: If I had a gripe, it's the lack of unique colors. Totally common white, light bley and dark bley dominates, though we'll get all the 1x2x3 sand green windows we'll ever need. Oh, and that $169.99 USD tag, didn't expect that. It matches up so well with the DO's size and architecture style.

Beautiful building! Outside my price range, but still. And wonderful way to work in a story of bank robbery and money laundering! Which means I think the laundromat doesnt detract from the building at all, quite the opposite - it provides more setting for a city than just a bank.

Highlights for me are the gray ingots as masonry, black fence pieces, and what looks like a new stamp/seal piece. And is that orange brick in the laundromat supposed to be detergent?

Edited by Ardelon

Well, definitely better than the DO and a great parts pack... but still a bit busy and cartoonish for my taste. DO was only modular I didn't like enough to leave intact. I have a feeling this one will be recycled for MOC parts after the initial build as well.

Edited by eliza

Totally agree on this one. Minor modding to make it fit into ones town is ok. But the work DO and PC need to fit my town is a bit much.

Yeah, lucky for me my street is American - which is why I am still on the fence about PR, but love the DO and PC. Though I am starting to need 2 streets.....

Glad we got to finally see the pictures of Brick Bank. Looks really, nice and I like the color scheme. I do wish, that it was taller with either an extra floor or just taller somehow. I love the use to the new Nexo Knight shield tiles used as floor tiles.

As for the minifigs, its surprising and a good thing that the lady in red with that overused hairpiece isn't in this modular :laugh:

I also like the hairpieces used on some of the minifigs. Looks like indeed the windows are all printed and not stickers, thank goodness. I hope we get the designers video soon.

I can't remember where I had read about it but, I read an web forum that she had resigned her role as a Lego designer. But two of her modular buildings -town hall and palace cinema- had transparent white lightnings of the building, not transparent yellow lightning of Jamie's modular buildings. Since this modular has white transparent lightnings...perhaps..Astrid or other designers done this work? maybe this clue is too weak to guess who the designer has done this another beautiful modular set. :laugh:

I think that they removed Jamie from Modular work this year after the poor reception of the DO by AFOLs, and just let him work on the ''other'' Creator Expert stuff. As said before, there's a check tile in the set with (I believe) the initials of Marcus Bessa. However, I don't know. I might be really wrong.

I think that they removed Jamie from Modular work this year after the poor reception of the DO by AFOLs, and just let him work on the ''other'' Creator Expert stuff. As said before, there's a check tile in the set with (I believe) the initials of Marcus Bessa. However, I don't know. I might be really wrong.

Oh no, they couldn't have removed Jamie. His designs are always excellent.