Sir Gareth

Doctor Who General Discussion

If LEGO Made Another Doctor Who Set...  

215 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. (After the Tenth) Which Doctor Would You Most Want?

• The Fourth Doctor - Tom Baker
    • The Eighth Doctor - Paul McGann
    • The War Doctor - John Hurt
    • The Ninth Doctor - Christopher Eccleston
  2. 2. Which of the Tenth Doctor's Companions Would You Want?

On 10/01/2017 at 6:06 PM, Alpinemaps said:

Doctor Who Ideas set is showing retired on S@H as of this morning.

I bet this is a sign that they're planning to release a LEGO set based on the 10th Doctor's TARDIS interior - or something similar.

5 hours ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

I bet this is a sign that they're planning to release a LEGO set based on the 10th Doctor's TARDIS interior - or something similar.

I kinda doubt it. They didn't make anything else for BTTF, and the only reason we got more GB was because of the new movie. There might be more DW sets, but it's unlikely.

1 hour ago, BlueberryWaffles said:

I kinda doubt it. They didn't make anything else for BTTF, and the only reason we got more GB was because of the new movie. There might be more DW sets, but it's unlikely.

There's not really anything else that would sell for BTTF though, whereas there's still plenty that could be done with Doctor Who. Plus: Series 10 this April.

2 hours ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

There's not really anything else that would sell for BTTF though, whereas there's still plenty that could be done with Doctor Who. Plus: Series 10 this April.

Every license Lego picks up has "plenty that could be done." But, as clearly indicated by the Ideas submission standards, sets released by Ideas are not intended to launch waves (nor should they be advertised as such--that's why Ideas rejects "theme" submissions). The fact that we got more Ghostbusters sets is no indication that we'll get more Dr. Who sets. And as Blueberrywaffles noted, the new GB movie undoubtedly had a huge impact on those additional sets being released. 

If anything we already got a number of satisfactory figs and such through Dimensions, so I consider the Dr. Who theme luckier than most. But as there's not even one tiny sliver of hopeful substantiated rumor that we'll be getting more, I don't see why we need to be speculating about future releases. 

12 hours ago, Captain Nemo said:

Every license Lego picks up has "plenty that could be done." But, as clearly indicated by the Ideas submission standards, sets released by Ideas are not intended to launch waves (nor should they be advertised as such--that's why Ideas rejects "theme" submissions). The fact that we got more Ghostbusters sets is no indication that we'll get more Dr. Who sets. And as Blueberrywaffles noted, the new GB movie undoubtedly had a huge impact on those additional sets being released. 

If anything we already got a number of satisfactory figs and such through Dimensions, so I consider the Dr. Who theme luckier than most. But as there's not even one tiny sliver of hopeful substantiated rumor that we'll be getting more, I don't see why we need to be speculating about future releases. 

If LEGO don't launch a Doctor Who theme, then they're making a huge mistake IMO. There's 53 years worth of material they could use for LEGO sets. They could do a Dalek Saucer set - that would sell millions worldwide - or a big version of the K9 mini-build from the LEGO Dimensions Level Pack. They would have to be stupid not to do it.

The Hope for a DW Set Series died a long Time ago.

Gallifrey might fall no more,but I'm pretty sure there will be no more DW Lego Sets.

Still,I would sell my Soul for real Minifigures of the DW Characters that showed up in the Dimensions Levels (so dear Devil....if you read this:want the Soul in your hand or wrapped as a Present?)

1 hour ago, badchriss said:

Gallifrey might fall no more,but I'm pretty sure there will be no more DW Lego Sets.

You can't say that. The LEGO Dimensions Dalek/Cyberman Fun Pack was only last year. The other two LEGO Doctor Who sets came out 2015. Something may be announced for 2017. LEGO would be stupid not to turn LEGO Doctor Who into a line given the huge success of the Ideas set and the Dimensions packs.

Again, no, there is no indication that we will be getting anymore Dr. Who sets. Just because you think it would be stupid not to make new sets, does not mean new sets will materialize just to appease you. 

Until said time that actually does happen, I think this thread could use some rest. :thumbup:

On 10/01/2017 at 6:06 PM, Alpinemaps said:

Doctor Who Ideas set is showing retired on S@H as of this morning.

Its primarily because of Capaldi leaving. When the actor announces they are leaving the demand to buy the sets rises, Lego S@H goes to 'retired' while the official Lego company selling the set through Amazon remains at original asking price and will likely shoot up.

Demand increases -> Limit supply -> Cause customers to pay more to get it

Edited by Scarilian

4 hours ago, Scarilian said:

Its primarily because of Capaldi leaving. When the actor announces they are leaving the demand to buy the sets rises, Lego S@H goes to 'retired' while the official Lego company selling the set through Amazon remains at original asking price and will likely shoot up.

Demand increases -> Limit supply -> Cause customers to pay more to get it

the set had been listed as retiring soon for a bit, no conspiracies.

There's no way in fudgey fudge land that Doctor Who has selling power that is any compareable to the other big licenses they have. Lego would probably be making a mistake if they made a minifigure series or theme after Doctor Who, as much as I'd LOVE to see it (assuming it wasn't all Peter Capaldi).

Doctor Who at it's peak would be a hard sell anywhere that's not the UK. In the US you basically see nowhere with Doctor Who toys because it still sells like crap over there and that's a big market to sell like crap at. 

Personally I think if we can get any new doctor who lego stuff at all it would be through brickheadz.

7 hours ago, BrickG said:

There's no way in fudgey fudge land that Doctor Who has selling power that is any compareable to the other big licenses they have. Lego would probably be making a mistake if they made a minifigure series or theme after Doctor Who, as much as I'd LOVE to see it (assuming it wasn't all Peter Capaldi).

Doctor Who at it's peak would be a hard sell anywhere that's not the UK. In the US you basically see nowhere with Doctor Who toys because it still sells like crap over there and that's a big market to sell like crap at. 

From my perspective living in the us, doctor who is very popular here, and I think if they released a new doctor who set it would sell very well here.

7 hours ago, BrickG said:

1 minute ago, HarrisonWells said:

Personally I think if we can get any new doctor who lego stuff at all it would be through brickheadz.

From my perspective living in the us, doctor who is very popular here, and I think if they released a new doctor who set it would sell very well here.

It´s somewhere in between both of your´s perspective on the Doctor Who brand.
I talked to some LEGO employees a few month´s ago, work related, and I couldn´t resist from asking them how the Doctor Who set´s sold world wide. 
They told me not bad, but not as expected.

My oppinion on this, and from what I could tell from the rest of our "confidential" conversation, no more Doctor Who LEGO for now. ( Except "perhaps" some Daleks in The upcoming Batman Movie set´s. )
Deal with it. It is what it is. Be glad that we got this much DW so far. Which is actually a big win for us whovians.

The problem isn't whether doctor who is popular in the states, it's about who it's popular with; adults love it. Children, not so much. That's why you don't see who merchandise in American toy aisles, you see it in places where adults shop. And if kids aren't buying it, it's not going to be a big seller for Lego, plain and simple.

5 minutes ago, InnerRayg said:

The problem isn't whether doctor who is popular in the states, it's about who it's popular with; adults love it. Children, not so much. That's why you don't see who merchandise in American toy aisles, you see it in places where adults shop. And if kids aren't buying it, it's not going to be a big seller for Lego, plain and simple.

Spot on, unfortunately. :laugh:

16 hours ago, deskp said:

the set had been listed as retiring soon for a bit, no conspiracies.

I've seen sets on 'retiring soon' for several months, just seems a bit of a coincidence that the set goes to retired on the precise day of the Peter Capaldi announcement - and it still seems odd that Lego have an official Amazon group that sells retired sets nowadays as higher prices...

9 hours ago, BrickG said:

Doctor Who at its peak in the revived series was arguably around series 3-4 where the series became so popular that they decided to film some episodes in America. They later did the same thing in Season 6 and i believe a few episodes sinces.
There is a market for Doctor Who in the US, but the US is larger and generally easier for people to miss seeing the sets sell. I feel there is a large enough market for Lego to do a Doctor Who set or two - primarily they would benefit from a collectable minifigure series of the incarnations of the Doctor which would easily become highly valued amongst the community.

39 minutes ago, Scarilian said:

There is a market for Doctor Who in the US, but the US is larger and generally easier for people to miss seeing the sets sell. I feel there is a large enough market for Lego to do a Doctor Who set or two - primarily they would benefit from a collectable minifigure series of the incarnations of the Doctor which would easily become highly valued amongst the community.

I "feel" a lot to. But once again, it doesn´t matter what any of us "feel". Unless we are directly connected to TLG somehow.

All this wishfull thinking is what im doing all day being a Whovian, but I cant restraint from the fact that there isn´t enough of us. It´s not gonna happen till DW makes a bigger approach towards an even bigger audince than it already have. 
My 50cent´s, not hating :classic: 

Harrison Wells.

Naah, that ain´t gona happen as have been speculated repetly throughout this thread, ( unfortunately :sceptic:).
Audience, ( minority, LEGO buyers, kid TFOL´s ) the followers market ain´t just big enough for a world wide launching. 
Wish it was otherwise, just being realistic.

KlodsBrik.

Edited by KlodsBrik
Another post added

11 minutes ago, KlodsBrik said:

I "feel" a lot to. But once again, it doesn´t matter what any of us "feel". Unless we are directly connected to TLG somehow.

Chance are they will judge based on sales. If the Ideas set sold well enough then give it a year approximately for them to design and make the sets and we'll see Lego Doctor Who in late 2018.

Just now, Scarilian said:

Chance are they will judge based on sales. If the Ideas set sold well enough then give it a year approximately for them to design and make the sets and we'll see Lego Doctor Who in late 2018.

And as I quoted a few post´s above based on conversations I had with several employees from TLG, its quite unlikely.
Dont hate me, it´s just gonna take a miracle to to get there. Again, unfortunately. 

Honestly while it's sad that we likely won't get any more official Doctor Who sets/figures, I am personally mostly satisfied with getting some at all AND having them playable in a LEGO game.

Though if some KO company decided to produce high quality bootlegs of the other character designs seen in Dimensions I wouldn't hesitate to buy them all.

On 31/01/2017 at 8:31 PM, HarrisonWells said:

I would be fine with that. I just want some new LEGO Doctor Who sets whatever the form. Hopefully we'd at least get the Doctor, Bill and Nardole.