BrickJagger

Future Castle Sets?

*reads thread*

*frowns*

So basically, anything but Nexo Knights?

Agreed.

Edit: You know what would be really great? A theme based on Magic: The Gathering. This would include high quality minifigures, both grunts and named characters, and span a variety of settings, from ancient Greek (Theros) to medieval China and Mongolia (Tarkir) to Renaissance Europe (Innistrad).

Edited by Ql97

My hope for a new castle set is a D2C Nexo Knights set like the Temple of Airjitzu for Ninjago.

That would be Nexo Knights, not Castle.

You know what would be really great? A theme based on Magic: The Gathering. This would include high quality minifigures, both grunts and named characters, and span a variety of settings, from ancient Greek (Theros) to medieval China and Mongolia (Tarkir) to Renaissance Europe (Innistrad).

It would have to be loosely based, since Magic is owned by another toy company. But it would be pretty cool.

Castle 2013 felt like a perfunctory Castle wave, like they were just doing it to do it. It would be really nice if they went out of their way to make it something great (without overthinking or overdoing it).

Edited by x105Black

M:tG will never happen in Lego, same with FR and D&D. Hasbro (parent company of Wizards of the Coast) has Kre-O. I've held some in my hands, and they are awful. Megabloks are better, and that's saying something.

I have two huge books on my shelf that are great fodder for ideas: one is titled Mythology and the other is titled Ancient Civilizations.

That would be Nexo Knights, not Castle.

It would have to be loosely based, since Magic is owned by another toy company. But it would be pretty cool.

Castle 2013 felt like a perfunctory Castle wave, like they were just doing it to do it. It would be really nice if they went out of their way to make it something great (without overthinking or overdoing it).

M:tG will never happen in Lego, same with FR and D&D. Hasbro (parent company of Wizards of the Coast) has Kre-O. I've held some in my hands, and they are awful. Megabloks are better, and that's saying something.

I have two huge books on my shelf that are great fodder for ideas: one is titled Mythology and the other is titled Ancient Civilizations.

Yeah, I know it will never happen. I was just wishing out loud.

I'm still not sure if lego seriously would think castle fans would be satisfied with with Nexo Knights. I mean, with Ninjago, they at least release the occasional piece of authentic Japanese architecture. With this theme, well, the less said, the better.

These past 2 years have just been one letdown after another for us. First, LotR is canceled, then we get a Disney-fied Elves theme, and a Chima-fied Castle theme. I want a genuine fantasy theme, something like Fantasy Era again. Would that be too much to ask? I guess so.

I'd say a LOTR style fantasy theme is a ways off for now, but I definitely do think we'll see another Castle theme during Nexo Knight's tenure. I'm thinking though that this would be a great opportunity for Lego to branch out and do a different historic theme, like a redo of Vikings, or something totally unique.

~Insectoid Aristocrat

As much as people (myself included) would love to see Vikings or other civilizations, I really don't think I'd personally be satisfied until traditional European Medieval Fantasy comes back. While the other cultures could still be Castle, to me that's the real core of the theme.

While the other cultures could still be Castle, to me that's the real core of the theme.

Agreed, although we might get another incarnation of Vikings during Nexo's run to keep the fans here happy, followed by a Castle theme after it's over.

I would love a Greek mythology theme.

Agreed, although we might get another incarnation of Vikings during Nexo's run to keep the fans here happy, followed by a Castle theme after it's over.

I don't see why it should have to wait until Nexo Knights are done. The 2 themes are distinct enough.

Did anyone hear a rumor about Vikings, or is this all just hopes and speculation? I ask because I've seen this idea come up quite a bit lately.

Did anyone hear a rumor about Vikings, or is this all just hopes and speculation? I ask because I've seen this idea come up quite a bit lately.

Just speculation. A Vikings theme did come out during KK2's run.

Just speculation. A Vikings theme did come out during KK2's run.

Well that means they've done 2 Castle themes at the same time, although both were a bit unconventional. I doubt they would run 2 at the same time now, considering they've got Nexo Knights (which admittedly has some superficial Castle-like elements).

Well, would an "Eastern Castle" theme actually count as a Castle theme? They didn't really have castles over in China and Japan, more like palaces and more elegant looking stuff.

I personally don't consider Ninja or Vikings Castle themes because neither of them actually contain castles.

I think this thread should be about future Historic Sets not just 'Castle', but then that would exclude (Medieval) Fantasy... eh tricky.

Edited by Isundir

I think this thread should be about future Historic Sets not just 'Castle', but then that would exclude (Medieval) Fantasy... eh tricky.

There are several clear periods of history. While I'm inclined to agree with you, I think that maybe more topics for those eras could be created.

Western themed sets are considered historical, but that's pretty far in the future from a medieval point of view. Maybe a new thread for ~1400-1900.

Egypt and Greece were already ancient history to people in the medieval era. Maybe a new thread for Antiquity.

And so on...

Edited by x105Black

I dont think we will see another castle theme anytime soon - not as long nexo knights exists, if its gonna be succesful, which is likely, that can be a long wait.

Its probably gonna be some licensed themes that might help us out with historic builds/figs

I am afraid the next year will be a drought - too I didnt come out of my dark age sooner :(

I dont think we will see another castle theme anytime soon - not as long nexo knights exists, if its gonna be succesful, which is likely, that can be a long wait.

Its probably gonna be some licensed themes that might help us out with historic builds/figs

I am afraid the next year will be a drought - too I didnt come out of my dark age sooner :(

I know what you mean! I feel the same way.

What are some of the best historic or fantasy licenses that appeal to the nostalgic AFOL in the same way as Ghostbusters and Back to the Future? Maybe our best bet for getting historic / fantasy themes would be to submit licensed concepts to Ideas.

The current dry spell feels like Castle going through its Dark Ages.

I would like something akin to old unreleased Europe theme, instead of typically medieval setting, I would love to see something based around 17-18th century, optionally up to Napoleonic era.... Now, I know this would be similar to Pirates theme, but whithout ships, but, I guess this would be more mature in design theme (no cartoony flags and coats of arms, no Juniorisation, more subdued colours), akin to Kingdoms theme, perhaps throw in some fantasy elements (Trolls uder the bridges, Witches, Alchemists), or clockwork, or even steampunk elements to make it more interesting, or make two warring factions, one using Da Vinci-like technology and gadgets, and one that is all about occult and alchemy...

Also, another Castle theme that comes into mind, It's a remake of Forestmen, pitted against the remake of Wolf Pack, a merry band of forest dwelling outlaws, who take from rich, and give to the poor, versus powerful gang of bandit knights, who terrorize the whole kingdom, that would be cool, and it could be focusing more on civilian buildings, like taverns, villages, farms, workshops, but also Wolf Pack strongholds, Forestmen camps, etc...

Anything thats pre 20th century would be awesome!!!

My wishlist is simple. Deliver a new theme that is the same quality (from a design perspective) as kingdoms. Nobody wanted more lions and dragons and the graphic design of kingdoms was so strong that nobody cared. Feel free to rehash old themes if necessary, and while the same ideas are fine (guarded gate, blacksmith, Kings chariot), don't be afraid to explore other concepts. This would include civilian scenarios like MMV and MVR which were both fantastic.

Fantasy elements (wizards, dragons and trolls) are fine, just try to limit the wacky vehicles. For example, the troll battle wheel from fantasy was too far out for me.

Extra points go to a theme that leverages the best of the Alexandre Boudon (please excuse spelling mistakes there) minifig concepts that include wood, dark and high elf concepts. That would get gobs of money from me if executed properly.

Basically what I want. I would love to see the Kingdoms re-hashed with new designs. I would really enjoy the crusaders being brought back, and the forest men and wolf pack. I woudl rather have forest men and wolfpack then those stupid trolls and dwarves. I really dont like the fantasy stuff, dragons are ok but everything else could do without. But thats just me, I know some people love the fantasy stuff and thats fine. I just want some good old fashioned knights and bandits.

I wouldn't say Nexo Knights is Chima-fied Castle. It's aesthetic is more like Ice Planet 2002.

I don't see the connection at all. Other than the colour scheme, this has nothing to do with Ice, Space, or 2002. :tongue: it's clearly a techno-big-bang take on Lego's traditional Castle theme.

I think other Historic themes could be discussed in this thread unless there are actual rumours that would warrant opening another thread. Maybe not Western, though. That should have its own. But Chinese Castles or Roman mythology could be talked about here with little irritation I think. We all just want something historic to make up for the disappointment of Nexo Knights... :sadnew:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Whatever it ends up being, I really want some fantasy elements. Magic rampant, used for spells and maybe even powering machinery. Machinery like bikes to replace horses, maybe even siege engines and, though it's not very likely, massive mobile fortresses? Demonic enemies, good guy knights and wizards. That classic, dreary castle gray could be supplemented with some brighter cheerful colors, like maybe blue and even trans-neon orange for contrast.

So you wanted a fantasy castle theme.We make a fantasy castle theme, then you complain because the fantasy kids went for is not the kind of fantasy you like. It has Kings, Queens, Princess, Knights, squires, magic books, magic swords, magic shields, castles, heraldry, jesters, evil monsters attacking the kingdom... but it's not a castle theme? Because the horses hover and one of the castles has tracks?

For those doing the wishful thinking on a normal castle line, like the one else we just did, how likely do you think it is there will be a traditional ninja line while Ninjago exists?

Out of LEGO's history, there were only three years where there was a regular Ninja theme. But I take your meaning that there likely will not be any sort of historic theme during Nexo Knight's run. I think many in this thread did not expect a traditional Castle theme. A Vikings or Roman theme may be different enough though.

Ninjago has given us great period style buildings in both the Battle for Ninjago City as well as the Temple of Airjistsu. Mayhaps Nexo Knigjt's might do the same.

I will keep an eye to see if there are any pieces in Nexo Knighs that I can use for my more traditional MOCs. If you can find a way to add a traditional Vikings helmet (no horns) into NK I would be very happy.

I wish that line all the best but my interest will continue to shift to the CMFs and Modulars such as the recently revealed bank.

I think most of the "fantasy" elements desired by (some, not all) castle AFOLs are in regard to the races of the minifigs, not the colour schemes or set designs. It seems to me that the dissastisfaction is from people who like their next wave of castle sets to be compatible with their existing collection/setup. Something that augments what they already have. Nexo Knights is too different to fit side-by-side with the others. Just as the brightly coloured knights in KKII with silly swords stood out too much. (The difference there was that most everything else in that theme fit nicely.) The bad guys in this new theme are fine for a fantasy take, if there were grey or black castle buildings and traditional siege weapons / horse carts etc and standard looking heroes (minifig colour scheme is fine, but the technology & weapons makes it too sci-fi to integrate with other castle knights) to offset them I think there would be a more positive response in this forum. Also we like armies of no-name soldiers to outnumber everything else. Obviously there would still be plenty of AFOLs who only want plain ol' knights in grey castles with nice new shield prints, "Classic Castle" to the max.

I don't know about the sci-fi AFOLs as a group, I think they would be more accepting of Nexo knights except that there aren't any space ships.

Kids are gonna love it. As are AFOLs that love mashups. I have limited finances, and storage & display space. I will save my money for SW, BL projects and computer games. Hope for a traditional castle theme in future that is either straight down the line or with a slight twist. That is what this thread is about, the AFOLs who are never again going to get what they want fantasising about getting what they like that sadly doesn't generate as much profit for TLG as the products that will be available instead.

Take note that not everyone feels the same way, there are plenty of AFOLs in the Action/Adventure forum (where Nexo fits) who think it is fantastic (pun intended). But here in historic forum most of us like grey, black, green & brown. (Although I would love a space theme in blue with orange windscreens and guys wearing the space commando armour...)

one of the castles has tracks?

For those doing the wishful thinking on a normal castle line, like the one else we just did, how likely do you think it is there will be a traditional ninja line while Ninjago exists?

1. ONE of the castles... should I get hopeful? :look::laugh:

2. The only possible precedent is regarding the coexistence of Castle 2013 and LOTR, which defied similar logic and was unexpected. I would be very surprised if a traditional/normal castle theme was released in the next 5 years, especially if the Nexo theme is a hit.

So you wanted a fantasy castle theme.We make a fantasy castle theme, then you complain because the fantasy kids went for is not the kind of fantasy you like. It has Kings, Queens, Princess, Knights, squires, magic books, magic swords, magic shields, castles, heraldry, jesters, evil monsters attacking the kingdom... but it's not a castle theme? Because the horses hover and one of the castles has tracks?

Because the horses are not horses but robots. As are many of the knights/soldiers. And because they use motorbikes and cars more often than not. The one castle so far is the easiest thing to modify, but its still a metallic vehicle rather than a Castle.

I guess the hope were clinging to here is not a traditional Castle theme, but something similar and compatible - Mythology, Antiquity, Vikings, Arabian Nights, whatever.

1. ONE of the castles... should I get hopeful? :look::laugh:

You should. There's a giant Castle that's been shown in the background of literally every single Nexo Knight picture, and without a doubt it will be a set one day, hopefully in the $200 range.