BrickJagger

Future Castle Sets?

12 hours ago, Merlo said:

What about creator castle and blacksmith shop? Both good and recent and covering all ages and tastes.

Yes they are good from what I have seen, however they both leaves something to be desired. If you compare B-bay with the blacksmith shop the former are probably the best Pirates set of all time, I would not say the same of the latter. Pirates have ships as their main sets and forts/hideouts as their second one, B-bay is a huge hideout set, that as a B model can turn into a big ship and a smaller hideout, 10/10. Castle have castles as their main sets and civilian village as their second one, the blacksmith set is no castle and as a civilian set it is still not a 10/10. The build looks great, but there are few minifigs and animals.
The Creator castle is fantastic as a Creator set and a parts pack for moc builders, but with a few repeated minifigs and no animals it is of no use to me personally.
I big castle or something similar to Medieval Market Village/Mill Village Raid jam-packed with minifigs and animals would be something else :wink:

1 hour ago, Roebuck said:

Yes they are good from what I have seen, however they both leaves something to be desired. If you compare B-bay with the blacksmith shop the former are probably the best Pirates set of all time, I would not say the same of the latter. Pirates have ships as their main sets and forts/hideouts as their second one, B-bay is a huge hideout set, that as a B model can turn into a big ship and a smaller hideout, 10/10. Castle have castles as their main sets and civilian village as their second one, the blacksmith set is no castle and as a civilian set it is still not a 10/10. The build looks great, but there are few minifigs and animals.
The Creator castle is fantastic as a Creator set and a parts pack for moc builders, but with a few repeated minifigs and no animals it is of no use to me personally.
I big castle or something similar to Medieval Market Village/Mill Village Raid jam-packed with minifigs and animals would be something else :wink:

Are you saying it would make more sense to put out a castle set than a space set because we got two castle sets that were 9/10 at best? That does not track for me, but even if it did, who's to say the next one wouldn't be only 7/10?
Blacksmith is not a traditional castle set, but it definitely scratches the same itch and even for me it was unthinkable such a detailed set would happen in a currently non-existent theme, yet it did.
And Creator castle is every much as a detailed re-imagining of castle as Barracuda bay was with pirates, albeit with the exception of a cool double build.
Just compare it to previous Lego castles and it'll become obvious.

Also, Barracuda bay is still only a hideout or a ship, not both, unless you buy it twice.
Castle has a sadly lacking history when it comes to civilian buildings, I know since I've always wished for more. It's no wonder Medieval market village attained a legendary status.
Minifigs and animals are great for MOC-ers, but I'm not sure they are a huge chunk of the entire Lego fanbase (citation needed?).
All of mine are stuck in a big box somewhere and rarely see the light of day :)
Also... err.. that crowdfunded castle in the forest thingy?

Having said that, something like Medieval market village would be great, but it would be a shame to miss a chance for a legendary one off classic/throwback space set.

With the tons of exclusive licensed sets Lego is releasing every year, it should in principle be no problem to release an exclusive set of all "classic" Lego themes for the 90th anniversary of Lego - Classic, City, Space, Castle, Pirates and Technic. But I fear that TLG is preferring to release licensed sets instead since this way they can spend the money for the creative development of their products; plus it is always said that they make more profit with licensed products. How poor today's Lego world is (for kids) with offering only Classic, Creator and City / Friends - and everything other doesn't exist anymore or only as a license! :cry_sad:

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

On 3/5/2022 at 4:52 PM, Aanchir said:

I thought the Creator one had pretty good interior detailing, to be honest! I mean, the A-model alone included a well, a market stall, a smithy, a cabinet/apartment with fireplace and armchair, a dungeon, a gatehouse, and even a garderobe-style toilet. Most big $90/$100 Castle sets over the years haven't had nearly as many clearly-defined interior spaces. And the B- and C-models can be used to add even more interior features.

Mind you, I agree that there's room for improvement still! I'd love to see a big castle with features like a royal bedchamber, kitchen, great hall, library, and stable. And the 3-in-1 Medieval Castle did lack a treasury and throne room, which tend to be a staple of comparably-sized Castle sets.

But unlike the minifigure selection (which I agree is usually rather weak), I don't think the interiors of Creator 3-in-1 sets suffer from their theme assignment at all. After all, just look at how well-furnished Creator 3-in-1 houses, cabin cruisers, and RVs (e.g. 31052, 31083, and 31118) tend to be compared to their Town/City equivalents!

The creator did had some good interior detailing butttt I meant that creator sets focus on the 1,000 piece count on which half of them are 1x1 studs, single bricks that adds up details that makes me wish for a 200USD creator set size.  They are held back by their price range I think and LEGO wanting to keep their brick count to an extent down for them not focus that much on mini figures.

Granted when I modded my castle I added desks, rooms, modified the throne room with a wooden door but at the end of the day i ended up buying a ton of black falcons mini figures, LEGO knows that we can now buy them separately and that is a blessing and a curse, I have close to 15 knights and a king now hahaha.

We live in an age that we can buy set specific bricks, figures and accessories to expand our creator content, hell i did the same with pirate sets and the creator pirate ship because it’s easier to modify and expand on them.  I just wish for more sets, in the long run LEGO is trying to get away with the fact that they want us to buy more of the same creator 3n1 set for the notion that we buy 1 of each build.   I mean i bought 2 castles, 1 is unopened for the time being but still, if I wanted to build a bigger castle or a tower for the castle or more shops, the option will always be there haha

On 3/6/2022 at 11:50 AM, Klaus-Dieter said:

With the tons of exclusive licensed sets Lego is releasing every year, it should in principle be no problem to release an exclusive set of all "classic" Lego themes for the 90th anniversary of Lego - Classic, City, Space, Castle, Pirates and Technic. But I fear that TLG is preferring to release licensed sets instead since this way they can spend the money for the creative development of their products; plus it is always said that they make more profit with licensed products. How poor today's Lego world is (for kids) with offering only Classic, Creator and City / Friends - and everything other doesn't exist anymore or only as a license! :cry_sad:

I don't think that's really that strong an argument, to be honest. Lego has a major anniversary every 10 years, arguably even every five years. Even more frequently if you include "sub-anniversaries" of more specific innovations such as the brick and minifigure. The idea that Lego owes us a whole range of anniversary sets for every one of those seems a little baseless, especially when you consider that themes like Castle, Pirates, and Space were only truly central to Lego's brand identity for a couple decades of Lego's 90-year lifespan (really starting only in the late 70s to late 80s). They are nostalgic touchstones in the lives of older Lego fans, to be sure... but I sometimes think about how much their perceived "centrality" to the Lego brand is owed to those themes being the "core themes" specifically for the first organized AFOL community in the early days of the internet, and to Lego's own "myth-making" beginning in earnest with the founding and expansion of the Legoland Parks (with areas centered around those themes), rather than because those themes have an inherent, unwavering appeal among kids. Part of this might come from growing up alongside not just those themes but also ones like Adventurers, Aquazone and Wild West—which felt, as a kid at the time, like they were equally important to some of those "tentpoles", but ultimately ended up more like footnotes in Lego's overall history.

This isn't to say I'd be opposed to anniversary sets of the sort you describe! I have loved sets like Barracuda Bay that pay homage to the Lego sets and themes of my childhood, or even sets like Benny's Spaceship that allude to Lego sets before my time, and will likely continue to do so with other "nostalgic" sets of that sort (especially if, like those sets, they take advantage of the major advances in modern set and part design to make those older things feel fresh and new again). I just don't feel like I'm specifically owed those things for every 80s or 90s theme, especially not just because another arbitrary interval has passed since Lego as a company was founded.

2 hours ago, eldiano said:

The creator did had some good interior detailing butttt I meant that creator sets focus on the 1,000 piece count on which half of them are 1x1 studs, single bricks that adds up details that makes me wish for a 200USD creator set size.  They are held back by their price range I think and LEGO wanting to keep their brick count to an extent down for them not focus that much on mini figures.

Fair, fair. Truth be told, it's been my opinion for a while that Castle and Pirates sets in general have been held back by the usual $100 cap on price points for non-exclusive sets.

After all, a lot of large and imposing LEGO Castle and Pirates sets of past decades (such as Black Seas Barracuda, Imperial Trading Post, Skull's Eye Schooner, Black Knight's Castle, Flying Ninja Fortress, and Vladek's Dark Fortress) would cost considerably more than $100 in today's money when you adjust their prices for inflation. In fact, some of those pirate ships even had price points of over $100 when they were brand new!

And for over a decade, other play themes like Ninjago, Nexo Knights, Hidden Side, and Monkie Kid have shown us plenty of outstanding examples of the size and level of detail that even kid-targeted playsets can achieve at a $120 to $150 price point. Yet the sticker price for a typical full-size castle or pirate ship (whether in the Castle/Pirates theme or the Creator 3-in-1 theme) has remained frozen in place for over a decade and a half! Is it any wonder that the contents of those sets often ended up disappointing long-time fans?

None of this is to say that a $100 set can't be outstanding in its own right — the Elves theme never exceeded a $100 price point, and yet many of its castles and other medieval fantasy builds like 41179, 41180, 41185, 41188, and 41196 remain favorites of mine to this day! I'm sure that with the right designers at the helm, LEGO could likewise come up with some more traditional Castle and Pirates builds that far surpass the 2013 or 2015 ones while still maintaining similar sticker prices.

But it's frustrating that even as LEGO prices in general continue to rise steadily over time, Castle and Pirates sets — which could benefit greatly from being designed for higher price points — have NOT seen any increase of that sort.

On the subject of anniversary sets, I think some of us have become spoiled of late. When I was growing up the only anniversary sets I saw were bulk bricks with a single gold, or silver, brick included. That's all that ever made it to the retail stores in my area then.

When it comes to comparisons to Elves, you have to consider the differences in the intended play experience. This means that minidoll sets are more likely to include daily life builds, which is one of the first things that gets sacrificed to accommodate an active combat play mechanic in a theme like Castle.

31 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

When it comes to comparisons to Elves, you have to consider the differences in the intended play experience. This means that minidoll sets are more likely to include daily life builds, which is one of the first things that gets sacrificed to accommodate an active combat play mechanic in a theme like Castle.

True, but even then, a number of Elves sets include both "daily life" AND combat elements. Ragana's Magic Shadow Castle has a bedroom, bathroom, and a luxurious-looking foyer, but also more typical LEGO Castle features like traps, a dungeon, a throne, and a rolling catapult. The Elvenstar Tree Bat Attack has a dining table, bedroom, and a waterfall for bathing, but also a giant evil bat, a training dummy, a forge, and various weapons like a greatsword, crossbow, war hammer, and magic staff. And Breakout from the Goblin King's Fortress contains a fireplace, writing desk, bookshelves, and beds for both the Goblin King and his guard — but also a throne, catapult, drawbridge, secret entrance, hanging prisoner cage, and three vicious carnivorous plants.

For that matter, even some combat-driven "action themes" have managed to include "daily life" features in some of their sets, especially those at higher price points. Consider that for all its battle vehicles, armaments, traps, monsters, and other perils, Jestro's Volcano Lair also managed to include a bedroom, bathroom, and kitchen! For that matter, Knighton Castle had a dining table and SEVEN beds, despite also containing numerous battle vehicles and brick-built mech/monster characters which surely must have eaten up quite a bit of its budget. Even Journey to the Skull Dungeons managed to include for a cot for its orc-like prison guard, and that was just a $30 set!

As such, I don't at all think "daily life" features have to come at the expense of more combat-focused ones — particularly if the maximum price point for Castle and Pirates models is raised above $100. After all, I'm not expecting these sorts of amenities to always be depicted at a LEGO Elves standard of detail, let alone at an AFOL-level standard of detail like they were in the Ideas Blacksmith Shop!

1 hour ago, Aanchir said:

True, but even then, a number of Elves sets include both "daily life" AND combat elements. Ragana's Magic Shadow Castle has a bedroom, bathroom, and a luxurious-looking foyer, but also more typical LEGO Castle features like traps, a dungeon, a throne, and a rolling catapult. The Elvenstar Tree Bat Attack has a dining table, bedroom, and a waterfall for bathing, but also a giant evil bat, a training dummy, a forge, and various weapons like a greatsword, crossbow, war hammer, and magic staff. And Breakout from the Goblin King's Fortress contains a fireplace, writing desk, bookshelves, and beds for both the Goblin King and his guard — but also a throne, catapult, drawbridge, secret entrance, hanging prisoner cage, and three vicious carnivorous plants.

For that matter, even some combat-driven "action themes" have managed to include "daily life" features in some of their sets, especially those at higher price points. Consider that for all its battle vehicles, armaments, traps, monsters, and other perils, Jestro's Volcano Lair also managed to include a bedroom, bathroom, and kitchen! For that matter, Knighton Castle had a dining table and SEVEN beds, despite also containing numerous battle vehicles and brick-built mech/monster characters which surely must have eaten up quite a bit of its budget. Even Journey to the Skull Dungeons managed to include for a cot for its orc-like prison guard, and that was just a $30 set!

As such, I don't at all think "daily life" features have to come at the expense of more combat-focused ones — particularly if the maximum price point for Castle and Pirates models is raised above $100. After all, I'm not expecting these sorts of amenities to always be depicted at a LEGO Elves standard of detail, let alone at an AFOL-level standard of detail like they were in the Ideas Blacksmith Shop!

For the higher price points, you are quite right, but for the low end of the price range (since at least the 2000s) Castle has had to have some sort of implied conflict where Elves could have completely daily life sets. It's in the sets that a child might conceivably buy themselves (with birthday, holiday, or chore money) where you see the play experience targeting more fully borne out.

Now if Lego could be convinced that there is a target child demographic that a historic/fantasy version of City would appeal to, we could then get sets that have the range of types that the 80s and 90s lines received updated to the current design quality. That was basically what the abandoned Europa line would have been.

Edited by gedren_y

On 3/5/2022 at 2:52 PM, Aanchir said:

I'm curious, is there some specific historical milestone you're referring to when you say "Castles are what put LEGO on the map"? Because to me it seems like the Town and Space themes played just as big a role for LEGO in the 70s, 80s, and 90s as Castle did. Particularly since they had a much larger presence at the time of the minifigure's debut in the late 70s, whereas Castle took a few years longer to truly catch up with them.

You're right if you think town and town-esque themes actually put LEGO "on the map." Not surprising because of its relatability. But Town and Town-esque themes did not make the final four. What I meant was that among the final four, Castle was LEGO's biggest staple. My "on the map" expression is just an expression. I do not have any interest in searching the internet for financial, statistical or sociological analysis to backup my claim about LEGO vs Pirates or Space. Sorry to mislead you on how invested I am in my position. 

And I do hope that there are multiple 90-year anniversary sets because I would love to buy a Castle and Classic Space set.

Edited by Something_Awesome

According to PB, the 90th anniversary set will be a 350€ "Lion's King Castle" set with set nr. 10305 and released in August. Now the only question is play-set or MOC-like?

Edited by R0Sch
new thread created

Apparently Lego accidentally revealed a Princess Peach's Castle set for Lego Super Mario a day early: https://brickset.com/article/71408/princess-peach-playable-character-and-castle-revealed!

Obviously it's not going to be to every Castle fan's taste, but there are some nice looking parts, most prominently a new 4x8 half-cone roof with shingles. In that bright red it reminds me pleasantly of the old 4x8 roof slopes from the Dragon Masters theme (my very first Castle theme)! And on top of those, it looks like there's another interesting new part (albeit less castle-specific)—a 1x2 half-circle jumper plate.

12 minutes ago, R0Sch said:

According to PB, the 90th anniversary set will be a 350€ "Lion's King Castle" set with set nr. 10305 and released in August. Now the only question is play-set or MOC-like?

With that price tag I’m guessing MOC-like? 

At that price point, I really do hope for a good focus on horses/saddles and figures.

As far as Lion Faction, likely the original Crusaders/Lion Knights, which were time appropriate with the recent uses of Black Falcons of the same period (1984-1992)

Also Crusaders were featured in the 2016 Classic Knight promotion (basicly a modern remake of a 1986 set, and a special Crusader big shield was in the Build-a-Minifig parts at one point around 2020)

A set like the 2021 Daily Bugle had 25 figures, so maybe LEGO will add some more figures here from other factions as well, Black Knights, Wolfpack, Forestmen , or maybe a remake of the Glow in the Dark Ghost.

Edited by TeriXeri

Here's hoping the rumor turns out to be real. :thumbup:
With a €350 pricepoint I expect it to be of a similar quality of the Ninjago city sets.

I would really like to see some knights on horses with barding in this set. Also, I know baseplates are now out of production, but I would really like the castle ground to somehow be represented (castles feel incomplete otherwise to me).

2 hours ago, BrickHat said:

I would really like to see some knights on horses with barding in this set. Also, I know baseplates are now out of production, but I would really like the castle ground to somehow be represented (castles feel incomplete otherwise to me).

Baseplates aren't entirely out of production by any means — they're still available individually in the Classic theme, and still used in Modular Buildings sets and ones comparable to them.

For my part, I prefer standard plates to baseplates in most situations, mainly for compatibility reasons. In the Castle theme in particular, I can't help but think back to how sets like 6080 and 6085 used baseplates, but all the "expansion sets" for them used standard plates — meaning that if you combined sets to create a larger castle, you'd be stuck with an awkward half-plate offset between them.

Standard plates can also be a lot more convenient for allowing designs to go "off-grid" (such as with wedge plates and hinges), which makes a lot of sense in the context of a theme like Castle — after all, castle walls were rarely built at perfect right angles.

I get your point about not wanting the ground to cut off abruptly just a few studs from either side of the castle walls, though. And that's an area where I think today's LEGO parts palette and design philosophies could offer quite a few advantages. Prior to the 2010s, standard plates simply didn't exist in sizes like 8x16 or larger, and far fewer sets were built on large, sturdy brick-built foundations made using multiple large plates, bricks, and Technic connectors like in Barracuda Bay, Apocalypseburg, Story of Nian, or the Lunar New Year Ice Festival.

Needless to say, as I mentioned in the topic for this specific set, I've got pretty high hopes based on what we've seen designers accomplish in other "premium" sets from recent years. :grin:

5 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

At that price point, I really do hope for a good focus on horses/saddles and figures.

As far as Lion Faction, likely the original Crusaders/Lion Knights, which were time appropriate with the recent uses of Black Falcons of the same period (1984-1992)

Also Crusaders were featured in the 2016 Classic Knight promotion (basicly a modern remake of a 1986 set, and a special Crusader big shield was in the Build-a-Minifig parts at one point around 2020)

A set like the 2021 Daily Bugle had 25 figures, so maybe LEGO will add some more figures here from other factions as well, Black Knights, Wolfpack, Forestmen , or maybe a remake of the Glow in the Dark Ghost.

That would be a nice salute to the castle line as a whole as Lego split up the castle categories in the voting process.  It will be interesting to see what they do.  I am really excited for this.  

4 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Baseplates aren't entirely out of production by any means — they're still available individually in the Classic theme, and still used in Modular Buildings sets and ones comparable to them.

For my part, I prefer standard plates to baseplates in most situations, mainly for compatibility reasons. In the Castle theme in particular, I can't help but think back to how sets like 6080 and 6085 used baseplates, but all the "expansion sets" for them used standard plates — meaning that if you combined sets to create a larger castle, you'd be stuck with an awkward half-plate offset between them.

Standard plates can also be a lot more convenient for allowing designs to go "off-grid" (such as with wedge plates and hinges), which makes a lot of sense in the context of a theme like Castle — after all, castle walls were rarely built at perfect right angles.

I get your point about not wanting the ground to cut off abruptly just a few studs from either side of the castle walls, though. And that's an area where I think today's LEGO parts palette and design philosophies could offer quite a few advantages. Prior to the 2010s, standard plates simply didn't exist in sizes like 8x16 or larger, and far fewer sets were built on large, sturdy brick-built foundations made using multiple large plates, bricks, and Technic connectors like in Barracuda Bay, Apocalypseburg, Story of Nian, or the Lunar New Year Ice Festival.

Needless to say, as I mentioned in the topic for this specific set, I've got pretty high hopes based on what we've seen designers accomplish in other "premium" sets from recent years. :grin:

Whoops, I meant to say raised baseplates, which indeed are out of production, unless I am mistaken. I guess you would object to those too, though. Raised baseplates did have their downsides, and I feel the best of both worlds would be building the ground out of pieces, but I doubt we'll see much of that. I just really liked the terrain that raised baseplates used to provide. However, I'll concede that the examples you provide are great examples of bases with elevation done right.

On 3/7/2022 at 3:07 PM, Aanchir said:

Fair, fair. Truth be told, it's been my opinion for a while that Castle and Pirates sets in general have been held back by the usual $100 cap on price points for non-exclusive sets.

After all, a lot of large and imposing LEGO Castle and Pirates sets of past decades (such as Black Seas Barracuda, Imperial Trading Post, Skull's Eye Schooner, Black Knight's Castle, Flying Ninja Fortress, and Vladek's Dark Fortress) would cost considerably more than $100 in today's money when you adjust their prices for inflation. In fact, some of those pirate ships even had price points of over $100 when they were brand new!

And for over a decade, other play themes like Ninjago, Nexo Knights, Hidden Side, and Monkie Kid have shown us plenty of outstanding examples of the size and level of detail that even kid-targeted playsets can achieve at a $120 to $150 price point. Yet the sticker price for a typical full-size castle or pirate ship (whether in the Castle/Pirates theme or the Creator 3-in-1 theme) has remained frozen in place for over a decade and a half! Is it any wonder that the contents of those sets often ended up disappointing long-time fans?

None of this is to say that a $100 set can't be outstanding in its own right — the Elves theme never exceeded a $100 price point, and yet many of its castles and other medieval fantasy builds like 41179, 41180, 41185, 41188, and 41196 remain favorites of mine to this day! I'm sure that with the right designers at the helm, LEGO could likewise come up with some more traditional Castle and Pirates builds that far surpass the 2013 or 2015 ones while still maintaining similar sticker prices.

But it's frustrating that even as LEGO prices in general continue to rise steadily over time, Castle and Pirates sets — which could benefit greatly from being designed for higher price points — have NOT seen any increase of that sort.

I like being proven totally wrong, I am salivating at the brick count of the upcoming Lion King’s Castle, finally a few thousand brick count set, I’m totally expecting a medieval village, castle and whatever decides to come our way I’m hoping that Minifigure count will be high and will continue to be high because of me purchasing more Minifigures from Pick a brick lololol I can’t wait for the reveal!!! 

I am totally jazzed for the castle set.  Thank you for sharing the news!!!

I am most looking forward to the figs, heraldry, barding, animals, etc.  Maybe we will get some new weapons/armor?   Either way, it is the unique castley bits I can't MOC myself that I want.  And please, please, please give us a civilian minifig or two!

I am sure the build will be beautiful, and the bricks will be useful.  I always wondered what a huge official LEGO castle would look like?  The hype is real!

I hope if it is successful enough that it will inspire a return to regular castle releases.

I know I will buy my fair share of this set!

https://brickshow.com/2022/03-12/

Here is a link to another article about the Castle set.

Dunno how many of you guys are excited for the creator Viking longship but there a leaked picture of its box art on Instagram 

The photo looks very washed out which hurts the sets appearance but it appears to use tan for the monster heads on the prows. There’s a very cool Viking helmet with wings that should be very cool. 

the sea serpent side build is sand green. There seem to only be 3 minifigures :sadnew:

18 minutes ago, Darth Shadowthrone said:

Dunno how many of you guys are excited for the creator Viking longship but there a leaked picture of its box art on Instagram 

The photo looks very washed out which hurts the sets appearance but it appears to use tan for the monster heads on the prows. There’s a very cool Viking helmet with wings that should be very cool. 

the sea serpent side build is sand green. There seem to only be 3 minifigures :sadnew:

The box art I saw had 4 mini figs, there’s one on top of the sail, and another hidden by the wording. 

I think I’ll be buying the love and thunder set along with this one to mix and match building techniques

Looks pretty good , and a House and a Fenrir was pretty much within expectations of alternate builds.