BrickJagger

Future Castle Sets?

I've no clue why LEGO has exterminated the classic castle for such a long time. But I think instead of just hoping on a re-launch, we can actively take some influence by supporting castle projects on LEGO IDEAS. Even if LEGO does not produce themself a new castle it has still a chance over the BrickLink crowdfunding as it was the case for the "Castle in the forest". And it seemed that this has a very big fan community because it was sold out within very short time...

So I will encourage every castle fan to register on LEGO IDEAS and support all the nice looking castles to give LEGO a hint that castles have a big fan community, and the chances of castle set will be increased.

- Long live the classic castle -

On 12/13/2021 at 5:14 AM, Jeff of Clubs said:

I'm of the mind that disney's toxic fandom is rotting lego out. Too much concern for movie characters and sets. Like half of their catalogue too much. Plus the royalties drive the prices of all themes up. If you want an ideas castle set to be even considered, make sure you stick mickey on it somewhere before submitting.

Had never made that connection, but now that Disney owns Marvel, Star Wars and its own properties, it does a huge proportion of Lego's IP stuff... Wouldn't be suprirsed if they attempted to buy the company in a few years

6 hours ago, Celloguy said:

Had never made that connection, but now that Disney owns Marvel, Star Wars and its own properties, it does a huge proportion of Lego's IP stuff... Wouldn't be suprirsed if they attempted to buy the company in a few years

That was the April Fools joke just 6 years ago (2015)

8 hours ago, Celloguy said:

This was a rather absurd idea back in the day and is arguably moreso now, with the pandemic taking a major toll on many of Disney's businesses (movies, parks, etc.) while Lego comparatively flourishes and becomes an increasingly dominant force in the toy industry.

Disney buying Lego outright would also poison their relationship with Hasbro (one of Disney's major toy industry partners for non-building toys) and potentially poison Lego's relationship to non-Disney franchise owners (such as WB's Harry Potter and Universal's Jurassic World among many other more minor licensed themes). It would be a lose-lose scenario for both companies even in the fantasy scenario where Lego was interested in selling and Disney in buying. The two companies benefit far more from their current relationship than they would under one roof.

1 hour ago, Lyichir said:

This was a rather absurd idea back in the day and is arguably moreso now, with the pandemic taking a major toll on many of Disney's businesses (movies, parks, etc.) while Lego comparatively flourishes and becomes an increasingly dominant force in the toy industry.

Disney buying Lego outright would also poison their relationship with Hasbro (one of Disney's major toy industry partners for non-building toys) and potentially poison Lego's relationship to non-Disney franchise owners (such as WB's Harry Potter and Universal's Jurassic World among many other more minor licensed themes). It would be a lose-lose scenario for both companies even in the fantasy scenario where Lego was interested in selling and Disney in buying. The two companies benefit far more from their current relationship than they would under one roof. 

Even if this weren't the case, it's a little absurd to act like a Castle-related Ideas set is unlikely to succeed without a Disney tie-in. After all, it hasn't even been a full year since the launch of the Medieval Blacksmith set!

Moreover, there have only been 17 Ideas sets to date based on entertainment brands, and only five of those (WALL-E, TRON: Legacy, Steamboat Willie, Winnie the Pooh, and Home Alone) have been based on Disney-owned IPs. By comparison, there have been upwards of 30 Ideas projects based on Disney-owned IPs that have gotten 10,000 supporters only to be rejected in the review phase! That hardly suggests any sort of deep-seated, pro-Disney bias among the review team.

Edited by Aanchir

If the gaming theme has Warcraft well, this would be great. And heck, even Zelda is getting more likely since we are getting freaking Horizon Zero Dawn. 

53 minutes ago, Mr No said:

If the gaming theme has Warcraft well, this would be great. And heck, even Zelda is getting more likely since we are getting freaking Horizon Zero Dawn. 

That's odd. I get Fortnite and such, but HZD has but a tiny fraction of its popularity.

Edited by Merlo

2 minutes ago, Merlo said:

That's odd. I get Fortnite and such, but HZD has but a tiny fraction of its popularity.

I am surprised Lego isn't doing Fortnite but I guess that would require too many molds. 

Oh well, HZD may bring us interesting parts...and an interesting minifig if the sets include Aloy!

The Lego Games theme can give us two possible contenders for the new fantasy castle theme:

-Zelda

-Warcraft

Which one would you want to become a theme? I would love if both did. 

2 hours ago, Mr No said:

The Lego Games theme can give us two possible contenders for the new fantasy castle theme:

-Zelda

-Warcraft

Which one would you want to become a theme? I would love if both did. 

Hard to say. I never played Zelda, but to me it looks like there would be very little usefull stuff for me coming from that IP. I won't use for example a Hyrule Shield or sword with blue handle. From the moulds I would expect to appear only Link's hat could be cute for my generic western fantasy characters. World of Warcraft has lots of gorgeous designs. A little hut with Orcs could be gorgeous for example. A Lich king would rock hard, too. But it could also be strange stuff with neon colours and Pandas so I'd say it depends on the individual set, if i'd be interested...

Right now I am pretty happy with the constant releases of new minifigure weapons and accessories from other companies - especially the amount of gorgeous dwarf accessories we got in the last few years. At least Lego gives us printed bricks with wooden patterns and other stuff usable for Castle trough bricks&pieces. The average moc is in my opinion better than the ideas blacksmith anyways.

Ideal warcraft sets to begin with would be the more basic architecture of the classic races and not things like legion/naaru spaceships and such. 

Steampunk or vehicles are fine, just would rather get a classic warcraft sailboat instead of a set like one of those purple zeppelins that MEGA made in a set. I'd prefer mounted minifigs over vehicles any day unless its like part of a siege machine vs structure. 

Also maybe some dungeon/raid/world boss focused sets (even blackrock mountain is super iconic with many different places by itself focusing on orcs, dwarf, dragons, elementals in different areas of it), lich king of course being another huge iconic villain + locations. 

Edited by TeriXeri

6 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

What is HZD?

Horizon Zero Dawn

Wheel of Time is allowed for use on Lego Ideas, so if anyone has an idea for a set you can finally do it. 

I see these possibilities for fantasy castle sets license wise:

-Lord of the Rings return (maybe) 

-Zelda theme (very likely) 

-Wheel of Time sets (less likely) 

-Warcraft theme (maybe) 

Or Lego makes sets based on that upcoming Disney Knights film that's in development. 

For original themes, maybe do another Knights Kingdom reboot(?). I am not aware on how well did the Creator Castle set sell. 

I wonder if Viva La Dirt League's Epic NPC Man would meet TLG's standards.  Probably too adult.  But it could be a nice little medieval village, though Greg the garlic farmer is the only one who really has a house. Most of the other buildings where they film are too modern.  For those who don't know, they do comedy sketches based on a fictional MMORPG where some of the NPCs have become self-aware.

I think the return of a Castle theme, be it licensed or original is inevitable. Fantasy castle will be super popular thanks to Rings of Power, even more than with GoT. And with other companies doing their own fantasy show like Hasbro does DnD and Netflix has Witcher and Narnia. 

Well, I come with good and bad news, good news are that we get a new Castle theme! Bad news to many are that it is minidoll based, I didn't bring it up before because I was told not to tell anyone, until Today. Repost:

Hello friends, I have decided to post this rumour, which comes from my friend, a manager from which I learned that Indiana Jones is indeed coming back this year with 6 sets and I discussed with him about this theme for a week and he finally gave me the ok to post it. According to him, there is a new action castle theme coming in August but it is minidoll based! The theme name is Knights of Valor and he gave me set names too. 

Lego Knights of Valor

41221 Dwarf's lodge $25
41222 Kayla's tournament $35
41223 Aida's treasure tower $50
41224 Trolls attack $40
41225 Dragon of Mortimer $60
41226 Castle of Valor $80

The sets will feature minidoll knights. As always, take it with a grain of salt but he was right about the Indiana Jones line, so I trust him.

Edited by Mr No

5 hours ago, Mr No said:

Well, I come with good and bad news, good news are that we get a new Castle theme! Bad news to many are that it is minidoll based, I didn't bring it up before because I was told not to tell anyone, until Today. Repost:

Hello friends, I have decided to post this rumour, which comes from my friend, a manager from which I learned that Indiana Jones is indeed coming back this year with 6 sets and I discussed with him about this theme for a week and he finally gave me the ok to post it. According to him, there is a new action castle theme coming in August but it is minidoll based! The theme name is Knights of Valor and he gave me set names too. 

Lego Knights of Valor

41221 Dwarf's lodge $25
41222 Kayla's tournament $35
41223 Aida's treasure tower $50
41224 Trolls attack $40
41225 Dragon of Mortimer $60
41226 Castle of Valor $80

The sets will feature minidoll knights. As always, take it with a grain of salt but he was right about the Indiana Jones line, so I trust him.

oooof

Soo LEGO finally decides there is enough potential demand for another Castle theme but for whatever reason they think it's in the minidoll space? How? :D

Edited by sahidko

1 hour ago, sahidko said:

Soo LEGO finally decides there is enough potential demand for another Castle theme but for whatever reason they think it's in the minidoll space? How? :D

My wallet will like it. I just hope the future of castle isn't tied to how good this one will sell. The elves mini doll theme was cancelled pretty fast iirc.

I am just glad this news came out of nowhere and there was no hype leading up to a new castle theme as was the case with nexo knights a few years back.

I have to say I'm probably more intrigued by a minidoll castle theme than I really ought to be given the reaction from other AFOLs, but the Elves theme slapped so if it's even half as good as that then I'm on board

6 hours ago, Poco Lypso said:

The elves mini doll theme was cancelled pretty fast iirc.

Elves ran for 4 years.  Compared to most once and done themes that is a really good run.

If this rumor is accurate and the sets are even half as good as Elves, it will be a fantastic source of parts for building things.  Of course no mini-figs means unless you don't mind using mini-dolls as a fantasy race of non-human "elves" there will be no actual "people".  I would prefer a quality mini-fig based theme but I will accept a good source of parts if one is to be had.

If that dragon is as good as 41179 Queen Dragon's Rescue, I'm sold on that for sure.

41179-1.jpg?201605201119

The theme is minidoll knights, and we do get a new helmet piece and armor. That's all I know for now. 

One more thing that I was about to forget, this theme is part of Lego's initiative to have both girls and boys play with minidolls, so I guess the boxes won't be pink or purple. 

Edited by Mr No