BrickJagger

Future Castle Sets?

1 hour ago, Poco Lypso said:

The pirate torso in the castle set is just lazy and lackluster. 

1 month later , after actually building the set, yes it's a bad choice out of 3 figures (I never called it a great choice either), even if its meant to be a civilian there are better Castle torsos available.

Now that viking ship is rumoured to have 3 figures as well, I hope they won't make the same mistake , especially since 3-in-1 Pirate Ship did get a unique Captain torso.

As I said in other topic , would really help to release some smaller Castle / Viking set, or figure pack, if they do more 3-in-1 sets. It wasn't as bad for Pirates as the 3-in-1 Captain was unique + Barracuda Bay had a large selection of then new figures.

Edited by TeriXeri

Welp, the Ideas review is out and no medieval sets (much less one of those 3 amazing castles) made it through.  The snow white set is being held for further review - so maybe not a total loss.  But there were some terrific medieval builds in this round!

32 minutes ago, jtooker said:

Welp, the Ideas review is out and no medieval sets (much less one of those 3 amazing castles) made it through.  The snow white set is being held for further review - so maybe not a total loss.  But there were some terrific medieval builds in this round!

Hoping the Snow White set gets made, might give us seven unique castle-y torsos. Could be a good parts pack too.

19 hours ago, Poco Lypso said:

The pirate torso in the castle set is just lazy and lackluster. 

That’s my biggest beef with that set.  Can you imagine if the they had created a new medieval civilian torso or, how about this, go reuse one of those awesome torsos from Mill Village Raid that never saw the light of day again…

11 minutes ago, INTENSS said:

That’s my biggest beef with that set.  Can you imagine if the they had created a new medieval civilian torso or, how about this, go reuse one of those awesome torsos from Mill Village Raid that never saw the light of day again…

I haven't bought the set yet, even tho I can get it 20% off. Ordered 13 sheep and some more black falcon torsos this month :). But I will eventually (prolly for christmas), the castle seems like an alright parts pack and might be the last castle set we will see in a long time.

I was lowkey hoping for a Zelda collab but seems super mario is all they had planned, welp...

7 hours ago, Poco Lypso said:

I haven't bought the set yet, even tho I can get it 20% off. Ordered 13 sheep and some more black falcon torsos this month :). But I will eventually (prolly for christmas), the castle seems like an alright parts pack and might be the last castle set we will see in a long time.

I was lowkey hoping for a Zelda collab but seems super mario is all they had planned, welp...

Maybe, just maybe, they were already planning on doing Zelda anyway and skipped the similar Ideas sets.  We’ll see.

haha…I got a dozen sheep as well for the farmland.  The 3 in 1 castle is a fantastic parts set at an even better price.  I’ve got 5 of them and probably more once my local Costco gets them in stock.

16 hours ago, INTENSS said:

The 3 in 1 castle is a fantastic parts set at an even better price.  I’ve got 5 of them and probably more once my local Costco gets them in stock.

At 5.5 cents a piece it is unbeatable as a Castle parts pack. I picked up two at Costco and plan to grab some more if they get them back in stock.

Since Brickset started an Action feature topic today, lots of responses seem to be people loving action features in Castle sets :thumbup:

Anyway, I hope to see more uses of the new projectile system introduced in 2020, and made in trans-light blue in 2021 Fire sets like this : 

tn_60281_alt3_jpg.jpg

I think that piece could work in a Castle theme in Brown as a ballista shooter, or trans red/orange as fireballs, or trans yellow/green/purple as more exotic magic projectiles.

Edited by TeriXeri

2 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Since Brickset started an Action feature topic today, lots of responses seem to be people loving action features in Castle sets :thumbup:

Anyway, I hope to see more uses of the new projectile system introduced in 2020, and made in trans-light blue in 2021 Fire sets like this : 

tn_60281_alt3_jpg.jpg

I think that piece could work in a Castle theme in Brown as a ballista shooter, or trans red/orange as fireballs, or trans yellow/green/purple as more exotic magic projectiles.

That would be interesting.  I haven't had a chance to build the 3in1 castle set yet hopefully this week and looking forward to see if any new castle like sets come out of ideas soon.  

On 10/15/2021 at 4:21 PM, INTENSS said:

.. I’ve got 5 of them and probably more once my local Costco gets them in stock.

Five of them!  That's fantastic!

On 10/16/2021 at 8:48 AM, The_Creator said:

At 5.5 cents a piece it is unbeatable as a Castle parts pack. I picked up two at Costco and plan to grab some more if they get them back in stock.

Agreed! I also bought two (though now I wish I bought five more.)  The person I talked to originally at Costco said each store was only getting the initial allotment that they received (and wouldn't be replenished on those sets) but I will gladly hope with everyone else that isn't true and more sets arrive for discounted purchase.

On 10/15/2021 at 9:02 AM, INTENSS said:

Yes! Yes!  They love to pump out City sets, we just need ~12th Century City sets and minifigures!

Yes, we need 12th century city sets.  Sadly, we aren't going to get them.  

As for the ideas sets results.  If you built a castle themed ideas set this year, as beautiful as they are, you were simply wasting your time.  Perhaps next year or more likely the year after TLG might consider another castle ideas set.  They are going to rotate through the history themes from year to year no matter how good the sets are and how many people vote for them.  

After doing two Brickworld shows this month, I can say with absolute certainty that kids and adults are frustrated as hell that there are no castle sets.  I have been displaying Goldcrest for about 13 years now.   The feedback I am getting from patrons has shifted greatly after the 2 year hiatus created by the pandemic.  Since my display is such a large castle people are seeking answers from me on how to get castle sets/minifigures.  I have to sadly inform them that I bought my castle LEGO long ago and that I am also longing for new castle sets.  Never in my many years of displaying castle have I got even a small percentage of complaints I am now getting about the lack of historic sets for people to buy.  I tell every patron to write to TLG to express their concerns in hopes that there is one intelligent person in the company that might hear them.  IMHO TLG has strayed too far from their historical model concerning themes.  Many parents want their kids to have a similar experience with LEGO that they had.  Sadly those products are being denied to them and I feel that is an opportunity lost.

The natives are getting restless...  Which is great, because they are coming to the place I have been for a few years now.  

On 10/15/2021 at 10:02 AM, INTENSS said:

a blackfalcon king would have been cool

3 hours ago, DaleDVM said:

Yes, we need 12th century city sets.  Sadly, we aren't going to get them.  

As for the ideas sets results.  If you built a castle themed ideas set this year, as beautiful as they are, you were simply wasting your time.  Perhaps next year or more likely the year after TLG might consider another castle ideas set.  They are going to rotate through the history themes from year to year no matter how good the sets are and how many people vote for them.  

After doing two Brickworld shows this month, I can say with absolute certainty that kids and adults are frustrated as hell that there are no castle sets.  I have been displaying Goldcrest for about 13 years now.   The feedback I am getting from patrons has shifted greatly after the 2 year hiatus created by the pandemic.  Since my display is such a large castle people are seeking answers from me on how to get castle sets/minifigures.  I have to sadly inform them that I bought my castle LEGO long ago and that I am also longing for new castle sets.  Never in my many years of displaying castle have I got even a small percentage of complaints I am now getting about the lack of historic sets for people to buy.  I tell every patron to write to TLG to express their concerns in hopes that there is one intelligent person in the company that might hear them.  IMHO TLG has strayed too far from their historical model concerning themes.  Many parents want their kids to have a similar experience with LEGO that they had.  Sadly those products are being denied to them and I feel that is an opportunity lost.

The natives are getting restless...  Which is great, because they are coming to the place I have been for a few years now.  

actually a 12th century city sers could do well, there is a cartoon about a fanatsy medieval time with hsitoric looking citys and castle alongside fanatsy ones called disenchanment that lego could make a seires simlair to, but the cartoon is far to old for lego, there is alcholol and jokes about murder in it

On 10/25/2021 at 10:55 PM, valon said:

a blackfalcon king would have been cool

actually a 12th century city sers could do well, there is a cartoon about a fanatsy medieval time with hsitoric looking citys and castle alongside fanatsy ones called disenchanment that lego could make a seires simlair to, but the cartoon is far to old for lego, there is alcholol and jokes about murder in it

there is lots of popular anime with a historic setting of some sort. but thats a territory lego hasn't touched yet... and prolly never will

1 hour ago, Poco Lypso said:

there is lots of popular anime with a historic setting of some sort. but thats a territory lego hasn't touched yet... and prolly never will

technicly it is not anime, but i see your point a lego of a saracastic cartoon would not work well

On 10/28/2021 at 4:44 PM, Poco Lypso said:

Historic Anime, no, but they did Exo-Force.

On 10/29/2021 at 12:44 AM, valon said:

technicly it is not anime, but i see your point a lego of a saracastic cartoon would not work well

I was actually talking about japanese anime shows which have either historic contexts or a medieval setting. Shows like attack on titan are quite popular these days, altho I doubt lego would pick that one up.. loll

Edited by Poco Lypso

15 hours ago, Poco Lypso said:

I was actually talking about japanese anime shows which have either historic contexts or a medieval setting. Shows like attack on titan are quite popular these days, altho I doubt lego would pick that one up.. loll

anime is weird to me, but i suppose a medieval version of the anime style lego sets around knights kingdom 2 would be interetsing ( or would it be knights kingdom 2 agian ? )

On 10/29/2021 at 8:23 PM, gedren_y said:

Historic Anime, no, but they did Exo-Force.

The LEGO Elves theme also seemed to have quite a bit of anime influence in its own right. For starters, it fell neatly within the "isekai" genre which has become very popular in anime and manga over the past decade. Many of its characters had elaborate, brightly-colored hairstyles and elemental powers. And in its third year it even got an animated series from Studio Mir, a Korean studio that has animated various other popular anime-inspired series like The Legend of Korra and Voltron: Legendary Defender.

It's true that we haven't had any actual licensed themes based on anime so far — and if we did get any, regardless of their content/genre, I feel that they might be more likely to focus on long-running or nostalgic franchises like Sailor Moon, rather than newer series that have had less time to prove their cross-generation appeal. But I think anime-inspired in-house themes with historical fantasy settings could certainly still be a very real possibility for the future.

54 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

The LEGO Elves theme also seemed to have quite a bit of anime influence in its own right. For starters, it fell neatly within the "isekai" genre which has become very popular in anime and manga over the past decade. Many of its characters had elaborate, brightly-colored hairstyles and elemental powers. And in its third year it even got an animated series from Studio Mir, a Korean studio that has animated various other popular anime-inspired series like The Legend of Korra and Voltron: Legendary Defender.

It's true that we haven't had any actual licensed themes based on anime so far — and if we did get any, regardless of their content/genre, I feel that they might be more likely to focus on long-running or nostalgic franchises like Sailor Moon, rather than newer series that have had less time to prove their cross-generation appeal. But I think anime-inspired in-house themes with historical fantasy settings could certainly still be a very real possibility for the future.

I doubt we'll see a license from actual Japanese anime/manga because the nudity, and gore, standards are quite different from what is acceptable in western countries. The closest recent licensed theme to historic anime was Disney's Raya and the Last Dragon, which only got three sets and a hard-to-find polybag (wasn't even on the US S@H). Monkie Kid seems to be underperforming its debut wave numbers, so it could be on the way out. There is room for something new, but anything they create would have to contend with Ninjago.

20 hours ago, gedren_y said:

I doubt we'll see a license from actual Japanese anime/manga because the nudity, and gore, standards are quite different from what is acceptable in western countries.

That may be the case with some anime and manga, but certainly not all! There are a number of series (such as Pokémon, Little Witch Academia, etc) which are geared towards an audience of younger kids and typically don't include much more graphic or mature content than you'd see in a TV series like LEGO Ninjago. And even some more mature series (though, again, certainly not all) could still be viable for one-off "18+" products, much like LEGO did with the Stranger Things license.

In any case, this is sort of tangential to the topic of "future castle sets", since it's just one of several directions LEGO could pursue for future themes, and not really one that would be any more likely to result in medieval-inspired products than creating a new in-house IP or licensing a western media franchise.

Edited by Aanchir

I don't know, if this is the right place for it, but did anyone here come up with a good idea for a minifig scale sharpening wheel? The one in the ideas set is quite "meh"...^^'

2 hours ago, eldiano said:

Well, R.I.P nice knowing you amazing Castle Line!!! 😭

/s

What?

I'm of the mind that disney's toxic fandom is rotting lego out. Too much concern for movie characters and sets. Like half of their catalogue too much. Plus the royalties drive the prices of all themes up. If you want an ideas castle set to be even considered, make sure you stick mickey on it somewhere before submitting.

On 12/13/2021 at 7:14 AM, Jeff of Clubs said:

I'm of the mind that disney's toxic fandom is rotting lego out. Too much concern for movie characters and sets. Like half of their catalogue too much. Plus the royalties drive the prices of all themes up. If you want an ideas castle set to be even considered, make sure you stick mickey on it somewhere before submitting.

That's kind of rude to say, what toxic fandom?