BrickJagger

Future Castle Sets?

1 hour ago, eldiano said:

I mean I guess I just want full fledged waves just as much as everyone else I guess.  Paying 99.99 for a creator set and only getting 2 Minifigures is incredible sad IMHO and hence why I called it a slap in the face.  

Well, from that point of view, yes, it's not an army or Knight accesoires set by any means, also no horses, but structure wise I love it.

And yes, some small to medium minifig/horses set would be very welcome, greatly prefer that over a Siege vehicle imo.

Edited by TeriXeri

1 hour ago, eldiano said:

I mean I guess I just want full fledged waves just as much as everyone else I guess.  Paying 99.99 for a creator set and only getting 2 Minifigures is incredible sad IMHO and hence why I called it a slap in the face.  

I wouldn't go as far as slap in the face.  They keep giving us great figs in the cmf's and now the blacksmith and the 3in1 this year.  I know it's not a wave but it's something.  This is exactly what I said people were going to say if lego came out with something castle people will always complain even though people keep begging for castle stuff and when it gets leaked people say this sucks or I don't like this part.  We all have different tastes and preferences.  It's just nice to see some castle.  I could care less if its not perfect or exactly what I wanted I can easily mod the set or use the parts for moc's.  Also its a creator set we knew it wasn't getting more than 3-4 figs plus its 3 figs and a skeleton.  

51 minutes ago, DaleDVM said:

I wouldn't call this set a slap in the face. 

After 8 years of no castle... I think this is more like TLG is Lucy, the 3in1 is the football, and us castle fans, we are Charlie Brown.  Good Grief!

I might consider the 8 years a slap in the face though...

I consider the hobbit last wave the last castle wave and was still on shelves for a little while.  Hopefully they will surprise us soon.  

11 minutes ago, zoth33 said:

I consider the hobbit last wave the last castle wave and was still on shelves for a little while.  Hopefully they will surprise us soon.  

For me it's Nexo Knights, at least most of the figures and the 2 Castle (Jestro's / Knighton, and Fortrex/library in combined mode perhaps) sets and some smaller sidebuilds, while not Classic or Historical by any means, to each their own preferences (I also wasn't collecting LEGO from 2001-2015 however), my last Castle set before that was 1995 Drawbridge/King/Tower.

Strong point that Nexo Knights has to me are the shields+5 sided tile, still useful to depict some interesting things to this day, be it a transparent printed tile, a stickered tile, or just a plain color.

And when it comes to most recent Castle-Like themes, It'd be the Dungeon/Dragons wave of Ninjago, can easily replace the ninjas with knights and it's just another Skeleton/Lava faction, to me that wave was great, vehicles/Dragons were mostly optional/seperate sets, and the biggest set was just 100% a location.

Edited by TeriXeri

On 4/30/2021 at 8:01 PM, TeriXeri said:

For me it's Nexo Knights, at least most of the figures and the 2 Castle (Jestro's / Knighton, and Fortrex/library in combined mode perhaps) sets and some smaller sidebuilds, while not Classic or Historical by any means, to each their own preferences (I also wasn't collecting LEGO from 2001-2015 however), my last Castle set before that was 1995 Drawbridge/King/Tower.

Strong point that Nexo Knights has to me are the shields+5 sided tile, still useful to depict some interesting things to this day, be it a transparent printed tile, a stickered tile, or just a plain color.

And when it comes to most recent Castle-Like themes, It'd be the Dungeon/Dragons wave of Ninjago, can easily replace the ninjas with knights and it's just another Skeleton/Lava faction, to me that wave was great, vehicles/Dragons were mostly optional/seperate sets, and the biggest set was just 100% a location.

Yes I did like Nexo Knights it did have some nice castle elements and the figs were good especially the villains.  The shields were great.  I did like the recolors on some of the classic lego helms like the the white nasal helm and the wide brimmed helms in blue.  

Season 13 of Ninjago was great I have the skull dragon and it's fantastic.  My youngest son has the skull castle and it looks great.  The Munce and Geckles are great for fantasy figs as well like the Nexo Knights villains.  Ninjago villains are usually really good.  I have small armies of the ice samurai and the pyro snakes.  I also have alot of the black skeleton heads.

That sucks that you missed out on kingdoms that was a really great wave of sets.  

The cat is out of the bag :

https://brickset.com/article/59197/creator-castle-set-revealed!

31120-1.jpg?02121159197_31120-LEGO-31120-Grosse-Ritterburg59197_31120-LEGO-31120-Grosse-Ritterburg

A pirate knight! :pir-huzzah1:

They should release a super instruction using this set and the Barracuda bay (like 1593 or 6862)

A lightbrick for the fireplace and the lighthouse would have been neat

Even if one doesn't fancy the builds, it's a very decent parts pack (no panels!) for a nice price :thumbup:

Better pics here :

https://www.promobricks.de/lego-creator-3in1-sommer-2021-neuheiten/121871/

Such a good set, the main build being able to fold is very nice, and even the Windmill Wall alternate build looks great (and seems to have a lot of leftover extra parts to expand it still).

I don't mind the color scheme at all.

Love the arrow slit tower windows as well.

The Dragon certainly doesn't look bad either and clearly the head shape seems to recall on the Dragons of the 90s and LEGOLAND/Store dragons.

Back in 1995 this was my biggest Castle set , up until the Nexo Knights at least for me, so even that 3rd Tower build feels somewhat special.

6078-1.jpg

Sure, the thing missing could be Horses and perhaps more knights, hopefully there will be more figure/horse battle-pack type sets in the near future, a new King and Wizard needs a home, but I can certainly see this very MOC worthy as well.

I got many Nexo Knight shield tiles, so with multiple sets could even make different faction castles with 2 of those sets, or even just decorate the main build Towers by replacing the grey tiles.

Edited by TeriXeri

Very cool!  I like the set.  Not entirely sure how well the yellow and dark blue go together, but that's a minor quibble.  I like the 33 degree roof pieces and the general castle look.  The parts overall seem good, and I'm glad to see two more falcon knights.  The one part I really don't like is the pirate torso.  I really do not like mixing them with my castle figures, and feel that the torso would have been better replaced by another or simply left out.  I will not be using this torso from the set at all.  It looks very out of place to me in a medieval setting.  I am glad it's just one torso, since it's easily left out and does nothing to the rest of the build.

Yeah, odd choice. Especially since there is a knights helmet and armor in the set. Just add another BF (or the re-issue LK) and be done with it

A brickbuild horse would be a nice nod to 375 :wink: I'd rather have that instead of that silly dragon

20 minutes ago, Grover said:

.  The one part I really don't like is the pirate torso. 

I agree, the pirate torso is a bit of an odd choice, would rather have seen something like a generic scale mail like this : 973p41c02.jpg973p41c01.jpg

But on the other hand, I suppose it's just meant to be a civilian look with optional armor/helmet included.

There's also another Tan horse in a Mickey/Donald Farm set (with a Sheep as well)

Edited by TeriXeri

21 minutes ago, Akbalder said:

You can do as in one of the promo picture: put an armor over the pirate torso.

You could if you want a redneck knight.  The yellow arms make it look like the knight is sleeveless! :laugh:

20 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

But on the other hand, I suppose it's just meant to be a civilian look with optional armor/helmet included.

While I appreciate that sentiment, the striped shirt is so strongly stereotypical of a pirate (and I would guess historically inaccurate to the medieval) that it doesn't make a lot of sense.  I would have preferred a solid color torso of pretty much any color.  Oh well, I can always remove it easily enough.

12 minutes ago, Grover said:

You could if you want a redneck knight.  The yellow arms make it look like the knight is sleeveless! :laugh:

There is precedent. Check these "redneck" knights. One of my favorite Castle boats BTW.

14 minutes ago, Grover said:

While I appreciate that sentiment, the striped shirt is so strongly stereotypical of a pirate (and I would guess historically inaccurate to the medieval) that it doesn't make a lot of sense.  I would have preferred a solid color torso of pretty much any color.  Oh well, I can always remove it easily enough.

For early medieval, sure, but I see this set as a fortified town, and it looks more late medieval, or early Renascence. In any event, patterned weaving has been around a long time. Consider the set patterns of Scottish kilts.

Whoa! I’m extremely impressed. The interiors seem wonderfully detailed (arguably more so than most actual Castle-branded sets), the structure/build itself is detailed and complex enough to justify the higher-than-usual 9+ target age, and the alternate builds are very unique and creative in their own right.

Additionally, if I’m not mistaken, it looks as though the alternate builds and main build can potentially be linked together where the walls “split” to create an even larger castle!

Note the tiny hinged wall segment in the back of the tower model, and the wall of the castle town/market, all of which appear to be the same height as the back wall of the main model, and have the same style of parapets! If I’m correct about this, that’s all the more incentive for Castle fans to pick up multiples of this set.

Even the dragon is more impressive than I’d have expected for its size (better even than many $10 or $15 Ninjago dragons), and the color certainly speaks to my childhood Dragon Masters nostalgia!

As far as building techniques are concerned, the AFOL-quality arrow slits and the water wheel using the new 3x3x2 quarter-circle bay window frames both really jump out at me, as do the brick-built banners and authentic-looking machicolations on the front towers.

I also love some of the landscaping elements like the mossy rocks on which the left tower of the main model is built, along with the trees, mushrooms, moat, and climbing ivy. Actually, how many LEGO castles have even had an actual moat before? I feel like there haven’t been that many.

I recognize that the bright colors are likely to be divisive among AFOLs, but I hope that even those fans who choose to pass on this specific set can look beyond superficial aspects like that, and recognize just how much innovation this model brings to the castle category! Especially since the previous wave of Castle sets in 2013 was so heavily criticized for being formulaic and repetitive when compared to the Kingdoms sets that preceded it.

This set takes a decidedly less “by-the-book” approach, and makes me excited to think about what other types of medieval subject matter the Creator theme might be able to tackle from a similarly fresh perspective in the future.

Edited by Aanchir

1 hour ago, Aanchir said:

I also love some of the landscaping elements like the mossy rocks on which the left tower of the main model is built, along with the trees, mushrooms, moat, and climbing ivy. Actually, how many LEGO castles have even had an actual moat before? I feel like there haven’t been that many.

I agree, there have been some sets on water or near water, like the Forestmen Fortress had a full moat, Wolfpack Tower and Royal Drawbridge were on blue baseplates, as far as modern Castle, a few sets involved ships or coast (skeleton/trolls) , but other then the Bridge sets like Gargoyle Bridge (no water  but mossy rocks) , and Drawbridge Defense, there haven't been that many full castles with moats, many of the older castles either had no moat, or were on raised bases.

The Windmill build draws more on the civilian / guarded inn type of set, the Tower more on the Drawbridge sets of the past, and the main build can still hinge to close up, nice variation within a very interesting color palette.

Overall I can see Elements across many different eras of Castle sets, like for the windmill build, the red side with the armor/shields really seems inspired by :

6041-1.jpg
3-in-1 definately seems a great theme to introduce some older Castle factions again, Crusaders were still made in 2016 for a GWP, and later had a shield appear in build-a-minifig.

tn_5004419_alt2_jpg.jpg

Forestmen parts are still made as well (the hats at least) the main thing I worry about from 3-in-1 is lack of horses.

Right now our most likely chance for another Castle set would be approval of the AFOL Designer Program Castle in the Forest.

Edited by TeriXeri

I love it, I’m shocked it opens up and it’s a rectangle castle, it even has a throne room!!! My only complaint is the simpleton door which is an easy fix to be honest but it’s way better than I expected, it does have more room inside that some of the previous full fledged castles though, even the detail of the red and white banner makes it confusing for me trying to pin an official color of the Black Falcons, I think the Blue flags does it for me to be honest!!!  

On 5/2/2021 at 11:26 PM, eldiano said:

I love it, I’m shocked it opens up and it’s a rectangle castle, it even has a throne room!!! My only complaint is the simpleton door which is an easy fix to be honest but it’s way better than I expected, it does have more room inside that some of the previous full fledged castles though, even the detail of the red and white banner makes it confusing for me trying to pin an official color of the Black Falcons, I think the Blue flags does it for me to be honest!!!  

I agree I love the folding function, and I'm saying that from mainly experience with something not entirely castle-like like the Fortrex, which does have towers but not as much interior., this actually has a roof when closed up, making it look closer to something like a Warcraft Alliance Barracks but that isn't a bad thing.

428777.jpg?maxWidth=600

Overall, the Darkblue with wood, and grey walls remind me a lot of warcraft, only the Yellow wouldn't be, but the white+wood from the Medieval Blacksmith fits right in.

Maybe the designers have had some connection/inspiration with Warcraft, I'm not saying LEGO has copied Warcraft, but as a big Warcraft fan I actually am surprised how similar things look (but for me it's a positive thing).

It's just maybe coincidence and the similar color/angle, and the grated windows already just happened to be LEGO parts already, and this warcraft building is from a 2014 expansion.

I'm about to start building the Blacksmith as my next set, so that's why I'm so surprised I hadn't noticed.

430831.jpg?maxWidth=40021325-1.jpg?202101010216

Edited by TeriXeri

33 minutes ago, BTappel said:

One of the soldiers is a girl!  That’s weird.

not really the blacksmith had a woman knight also.  

Being able to fold it is a plus, but even folded it wouldn´t look properly right, as the towers are still open back and interior visible.

Set looks better with the pictures. Hopefully the Set starts to show up in the next couple of weeks 

12 hours ago, gedren_y said:

There is precedent. Check these "redneck" knights. One of my favorite Castle boats BTW. 

Oh, those aren't redneck knights, those are naked knights!  I remember thinking to myself "Who would put on plate armor and underwear, and nothing else?" :laugh:

9 hours ago, BTappel said:

One of the soldiers is a girl!  That’s weird.

In the current day I don't think it's that weird, LEGO formerly pretty much had just smiley faces, and pretty much the only hints of female figs used to be princesses or queens based on outfit, but the smiley face in the end was genderless.

Since Nexo Knights (and perhaps before that with Nya in Ninjago), LEGO sort of pushed for more female knights with Princess Macy and her mother the Queen appearing in battle armor.

Also Fantasy games often have a female option for Warrior types now, and Archers/Spear classes appearing as female happens quite often.

Of course I fully understand it can be weird when seen from a real-life historic perspective but that's easily fixed by swapping heads.

Edited by TeriXeri

A real castle set, who would have thought that after all these years. If only it didn't have all that dark blue all over the set ...

6 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

In the current day I don't think it's that weird

I'm all for TLG being all inclusive. They have to now they painted themselves up in a corner with the diversity of minifig heads (and bodies)

But timetraveling female pirates doning knights outfits are perhaps a tad unrealistic :pir_kiss:

22 minutes ago, kabel said:

A real castle set, who would have thought that after all these years. If only it didn't have all that dark blue all over the set ...

Again, that would be very easy and cheap to swap out. same thing with the walls. If you want white walls and black roofs, that shouldn't set you back more than ten bucks. And most likely, being standard parts, you probably have the parts allready :thumbup:

This is exactly why Creator sets do not use specialized parts