BrickJagger

Future Castle Sets?

3 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

I agree Creator 3-in-1 is certainly my most anticipated theme remaining for summer pictures, not just the Castle but also the Shuttle, Ferris Wheel and even the Crocodile/Fishbowl could be fun.

On Topic, the 3-in-1 Castle was rumoured to have Black Falcons , makes sense with the prints being used for the Blacksmith, but it makes it wonder if LEGO will go into more factions going forward, maybe 1 faction per release year to keep the requirement of conflict down, and also make prints reuseable, but also keeps the need for side builds like siege vehicles lower. 

I don't think all themes need to turn into action vehicle themes, so sets via IDEAS/3-in-1 having 1 faction is no problem to me, even so, the Pirate captain from the 3-in-1 and IDEAS ships are still different enough to be roleplayed as rivals, etc.

2020 Summer Ninjago changed up the action-vehicle routine however, and I loved the skull journey+dungeon set a lot, probably the closest to a "Castle" set that I own of recent years, and unlike Hidden Side Castle, it's still available for now.

And before I forgot the Hidden Side Castle, it was very short lived (5-6 months?) and didn't even get a Jangbricks or Brickset review :shrug_confused: ( I don't have it either  as I was focusing on the Ninjago Wave instead)

Omg, you just made realize that the Skull journey and dungeon sets orange tile work can be swapped out to blue and both can be the ultimate pirate hideout/modular inspired caverns that could be combined to 2015 pirate wave!!!! THANK YOUUU.  

But I agree, I just built the 21324 Medieval Blacksmith and that’s my recent castle themed set, but I decided to go back to the kingdoms set and literally duplicate another Tower Lookout set because I always wanted a second one just never pulled the trigger on it back then, the Medieval shop sparked the interest of my kids and were asking me if I had more castle themed sets to their delight I answered yes(I keep al my lego in storage due to space issues) and want to build more sets with me know! I can’t wait!!! 

Edited by eldiano

12 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I doubt we'd ever see an entirely monochrome bulk brick set like that — even for Castle/historic creations, that would be fairly limiting, since you'd need additional colors for stuff like roofs, trees, roads, hills, waterways/moats, etc. And I think a lot of the Classic theme's appeal is the promise of being able to build lots of different types of subject matter, even from just a single box. But I could definitely see the potential for one that is mostly "earth tones" like shades of grey, brown, tan, green, and blue — sort of like a non-licensed version of the LEGO Minecraft "Crafting Box" sets (21116, 21135, and 21161).

It could potentially have a set name like "Creative Landscaping Bricks", "Creative Environment Bricks", "Creative Nature Bricks", or "Creative World-Building Bricks". That would not only tie it together with other LEGO Classic set names, but also with the sort of eco-conscious societal trends that LEGO has leveraged with other sets like "Plants from Plants" or various jungle- and ocean-related City and Friends product lines.

And like other types of Classic sets, it would be able to have plenty of different example builds on the box to show off its versatility: like, say, a castle, a tree, a pyramid, a brown bear, a mountain, a shipwreck, and an elephant. That way it would resonate with kids with lots of different interests, not just with the historic builders who would benefit greatly from it as a parts pack.

Yeah, you get it; imagine a bucket with some large green plates, and pieces in green, dark and/or light bluish gray, reddish brown, and one or so accent colors (red or blue). Hell, imagine one bucket with green + dark bluish grey + dark brown + red, one with bright green + light bluish grey + reddish brown + blue, and one with lime + black + dark tan + dark purple (Ragana's Shadow Castle colors), things like that.

Just, restricted and cohesive color palettes, and high quantity of parts per-color. Show some example fantasy buildings on the box. Oh, and a bonus pirate one, with blue +  white + yellow or something, Imperial fortress colors. Whatever. You can make up your own variants. And yeah, as you say, it wouldn't even have to be marketed solely as "landscape and architecture". Just, various example builds from those colors.

And, maybe even four colors is too few. But, even if you go up to, I don't know, seven colors with significant parts, it's still way more cohesive than the current Classic lineup. You can put it on a lot of places on the specificity spectrum, between "M-Tron box" and "somewhat restricted-palette big brick box with vague build ideas related to those colors".

Side note, whenever they'd do the for-four-year-olds "Castle box" or "Pirate box" or whatever, they'd have a couple theme-appropriate minifigs (good!), some specialized (and often printed) pieces as conceptual build-starters (sure), and a few other appropriate-color pieces, and then extra bricks... In seemingly random colors. And I never got that. I mean, I can't speak for the four-year-olds, or for their parents, but if I'd been in charge, I'd have had more color scheme cohesion in those "Brick suitcase + concept" products, seeing as they're the closest thing to this idea.

12 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Or maybe they were simply reluctant to release a set like this until they fixed the issue with brown parts being unusually brittle (which was only resolved fairly recently).

I hadn't considered that! My second dark ages are basically a perfect match for the period where brown was at its worst, so I often forget that was a thing. Gives me hope that we might see such sets in the not too distant future. 

16 hours ago, eldiano said:

Omg, you just made realize that the Skull journey and dungeon sets orange tile work can be swapped out to blue and both can be the ultimate pirate hideout/modular inspired caverns that could be combined to 2015 pirate wave!!!! THANK YOUUU.

Whoa, that sounds like it'd be neat to see! If you end up gettiing them and swapping the colors, please share pics so we can see how that idea looks in real life!

23 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

I agree Creator 3-in-1 is certainly my most anticipated theme remaining for summer pictures, not just the Castle but also the Shuttle, Ferris Wheel and even the Crocodile/Fishbowl could be fun.

On Topic, the 3-in-1 Castle was rumoured to have Black Falcons , makes sense with the prints being used for the Blacksmith, but it makes it wonder if LEGO will go into more factions going forward, maybe 1 faction per release year to keep the requirement of conflict down, and also make prints reuseable, but also keeps the need for side builds like siege vehicles lower. 

I don't think all themes need to turn into action vehicle themes, so sets via IDEAS/3-in-1 having 1 faction is no problem to me, even so, the Pirate captain from the 3-in-1 and IDEAS ships are still different enough to be roleplayed as rivals, etc.

2020 Summer Ninjago changed up the action-vehicle routine however, and I loved the skull journey+dungeon set a lot, probably the closest to a "Castle" set that I own of recent years, and unlike Hidden Side Castle, it's still available for now.

And before I forgot the Hidden Side Castle, it was very short lived (5-6 months?) and didn't even get a Jangbricks or Brickset review :shrug_confused: ( I don't have it either  as I was focusing on the Ninjago Wave instead)

Thank you again! You are right, after looking into the sets, the ninjago sets actually might be perfect shells for either Castle or Pirates, hell even the Keepers village could be used for a new version of the islanders if you swap some parts and add in the famous stone statues and work!!! My local Legoland store was out of the 2020 sets, but I finally found them in an off the wall shop!

4 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Whoa, that sounds like it'd be neat to see! If you end up gettiing them and swapping the colors, please share pics so we can see how that idea looks in real life!

Thanks! I ended up getting 2 sets just because bricks and pieces are taking forever with their orders because of the pandemic, the tiles I’ll see if i can get lucky with bricklink!  I am honestly in the process of expanding the soldiers fort and the 31109 creator pirate ship along with a modern version of the 21006 White House inspired from the 21054 but I gave up on skull island because I suck at building mountain facades and wouldn’t know how to do it, but with 71717 it could be a perfect island that lines up perfectly with the rest of the wooden boardwalks since it’s somewhat modular! Thanks again!

eXOrJNt.jpg

There is a leaked picture of the castle 3 in 1 on instagram. I think it looks awesome! There looks to be 4 figures, two black falcons soldiers, one civilian, and a skeleton. The civilian looks like a pirates torso but since it's a prelim, may change. The castle has some wattle and daub over the gate and a side section like a mill with a water wheel. There is a brick built green dragon and some brick built chickens. Hard to see the alternates but one has a tall tower and what looks like a trebuchet attacking it. Very nicely done overall! 

5 minutes ago, Vorkosigan said:

I think it looks awesome!

I agree! Though I must say that civilian torso looks reaaally pirate-ish to me. I do think its a slight shame that the color scheme doesn't match the blacksmith.

Set looks great. Has kingdom joust set vibe to it. Definitely buying multiples. I just hope lego revises the minifigs for final product. I'm loving the new shoulder guard pieces, and I hope they are included. 

Wow, the castle it IS TALL. The two towers are nearly the hight of last years Creator pirate ship judging from the picture and certainly taller than the system castles from ages ago. Too bad there is no back view of the box; I'd like to know if the small building on the left is a blacksmith or inn. The civilian looks indeed a bit out of place. But I'll get it for sure!

Looks nice indeed.
Kinda a drawback is the red-white heraldry on the gate towers, but blue flags on the flagpoles and blue Falcon soldiers.
Can't see shoulder guard pieces on the soldiers, but if there were, they'd be in the way of this type of helmet.

Since this looks to be a leak of the box art, I wouldn't hold my breath on revised minifigs.

I guess the figures are pretty final; but I can't quite see what (dark) figure is on the side of the box (above the 3in1 writing). Is it a guard?

21 minutes ago, brimbolet said:

I guess the figures are pretty final; but I can't quite see what (dark) figure is on the side of the box (above the 3in1 writing). Is it a guard?

I thought it was a tree.

Aw dang, I was not at all prepared for this level of detail! Guess my assumption about the castle from that Ideas video being one of the three models didn't turn out to be accurate,  although there are some similarities — perhaps the same designer worked on both. I love that has some overhanging jetties with timber-frame walls and yellow infill, which feels reminiscent of the original Black Falcon's Fortress. The brick-built banners are also brilliant, though I agree, it's a little odd that they don't match the heraldry featured on the minifigs, shields, and flags. The dragon looks pretty nice for its size, as well!

I hope clearer official pictures emerge soon! I'm sure there are a lot of details that will only become apparent from other angles, as well. One way or another, this seems like it'll make for a very promising parts pack for historic builders.

It does have more of a civilian vibe then of castle, despite the two soldiers.
A watermill on the left, an open tower on the right, bright-colored flags hanging from the entrance towers... gives me the feel of the entrance to a market town. Especially in combination with the yellowish houses.

2 hours ago, Vorkosigan said:

The civilian looks like a pirates torso but since it's a prelim, may change.

No chance. This isn't a preliminary image, it is a leak of the box art. It is final.

With the watermark it is entirely possible that there could be some changes from this image. Particularly since there is no set name on the box. Even if this is what we are getting, I'm plenty happy. I managed to place an order for some of the armor, weapons and legs from the Blacksmith set on B&P (though it hasn't shipped yet), so I can upgrade a few figs if needs be.

28 minutes ago, MAB said:

No chance. This isn't a preliminary image, it is a leak of the box art. It is final.

That's unfortunate. Not sure why they wouldn't include the shoulder armor, seeing how Lego including them in the blacksmith set. 

The castle looks gorgeous! It’s huge and tall and I was right to expect more Black Falcons theme stuff and I’m absolutely getting this! Yes! It’s even better than I hoped!

WOWOWOWOW, I was getting bummed out about this set not being leaked at all versus all the summer sets and at this point I thought it was a figment of my imagination hahaha but it is GLORIOUS!!! I love it, I love everything from the set, the brick built banners, the dragon, the towers, the mini village, my only disappointment is no BF King or Queen but I am soooo glad I managed to place an order of these extra figures from the medieval blacksmith, I might need 2 of these sets.  I had low expectations but the pictures surpassed it!

Edited by eldiano

Looks good cant wait to get it.  Definitely interesting builds and will fit in any castle town or city.  Like the windmill and the mill features.  Tower looks good too.  I too think the colors of the brick built banners are a weird choice but it is and easy fix to take out the red and put in blue.  Might buy 2 to have a decent size village.  

Edited by zoth33

It looks great! I just wish we got something like this as a bigger adult focused set, like Barracuda Bay. I would be willing to put down $250 with a more detailed version of this

#1. Red and white banners look terrible - why no blue and white?

#2. The peasant looks like a Pirate... was hopping for more MMV or MVR torso style. VERY disappointed in that torso.

#3. Not digging the yellow at all - tan or light blue would have been much better.

#4. Tower on the right- is that a skeleton?

#5. The build itself though looks fantastic, really like it. Gives me Joust vibes.

Probably going to just purchase one though. A better peasant and tan or light blue instead of yellow and I would have gotten multiple.

2 hours ago, gedren_y said:

With the watermark it is entirely possible that there could be some changes from this image. Particularly since there is no set name on the box. Even if this is what we are getting, I'm plenty happy. I managed to place an order for some of the armor, weapons and legs from the Blacksmith set on B&P (though it hasn't shipped yet), so I can upgrade a few figs if needs be.

Not all locations have set names and numbers of parts on the box. Look at the Creator pirate ship

https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DZGMqGUtIym4&ved=2ahUKEwibnLvguJrwAhUVlFwKHRcmAOUQxa8BegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw0Oeit0BLnYIoYCBBFJolqE

Edited by MAB

One of the youtube channels tried imaging enhancing software and made me realize 2 things, they brought back an old tree branch piece and the old school fire breathing mouthpiece for the dragon and I love it!!!  It looks like a modern take of the BF castle from the 70’s/80’s and that yellow brick screams it!!  Even the windows are similar to that style and I love it, the only sad news about waiting is that may has 5 weeks this year lmao 

9 hours ago, The_Creator said:

#1. Red and white banners look terrible - why no blue and white?

#2. The peasant looks like a Pirate... was hopping for more MMV or MVR torso style. VERY disappointed in that torso.

#3. Not digging the yellow at all - tan or light blue would have been much better.

#4. Tower on the right- is that a skeleton?

#5. The build itself though looks fantastic, really like it. Gives me Joust vibes.

Probably going to just purchase one though. A better peasant and tan or light blue instead of yellow and I would have gotten multiple.

#1. You mean green and white?

#2. It's just a torso, you can find others cheaply. Creator sets are not for doll colectors

#3. It's a throwback to 6074. Light blue, imho, looks terrible and was hardly used in real life

#4. Dunno

#5. It is rather decent and a couple or three of them could make a very nice fortified village. Needs a port cullis though and is vastly out of scale with that other recent set

But at least TLG won't have to make a proper Castle theme now (until the Amaozon LOTR :wink:)

Cheers,

Ole