BrickJagger

Future Castle Sets?

11 hours ago, valon said:

i am very suprised that they did not have a village set, most of the show is about monsters attacking normal medieval peasant villages 

That was such a wasted opportunity , think if we got something like 7189 Mill Village Raid, but with monsters instead of dragon knights. The cartoon even had a sheep mould :hmpf:

2 hours ago, Lego David said:

The fanbase that has actually suffered the most is actually the Bionicle fanbase

Wrong it is Fabuland :tongue: They had over 10 years with sets before it suddenly stopped over 30 years ago :devil:

4 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Wrong it is Fabuland :tongue: They had over 10 years with sets before it suddenly stopped over 30 years ago :devil:

Wrong again, it's actually Legoland sets, they were doing so well for so many years, until discontinued in 1989, never to be seen again...:cry3:

7 hours ago, Roebuck said:

That was such a wasted opportunity , think if we got something like 7189 Mill Village Raid, but with monsters instead of dragon knights. The cartoon even had a sheep mould :hmpf:

Wrong it is Fabuland :tongue: They had over 10 years with sets before it suddenly stopped over 30 years ago

almost the entire theme is about attacking villages, it would have been epic if they built a village set, because it could have been used i normal castle, the vechiles that they had really huge sets of made no sense, because they were in the series not as much and If they had built the knights vechiles as smaller sets and had the meduim sets be villages and monster castles, it would have been a a better castle theme

3 hours ago, Jack Sassy said:

Wrong again, it's actually Legoland sets, they were doing so well for so many years, until discontinued in 1989, never to be seen again...:cry3:

nexo knights had good sets for space, so definatley it is not them r/lego - A great use for Nexo knights? Rebuild it as 1978-79 classic space sets. Seen at japanbrickfest2018

Edited by valon

4 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Actually Fabuland got a mini-revival in 2000 with Disney's Mickey Mouse. It used a lot of Fabuland parts, and the figs were of similar size. That's why some of the oversized parts persisted well into the 2000s.

28 minutes ago, Jack Sassy said:

Not sure what you mean, Legoland has sets almost every year even this year just have a look at Brickset:shrug_oh_well:

18 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

Actually Fabuland got a mini-revival in 2000 with Disney's Mickey Mouse. It used a lot of Fabuland parts, and the figs were of similar size. That's why some of the oversized parts persisted well into the 2000s.

That do not count, it have some similarities much like Castle and LOTR, but it is a license and are not the same thing :wink:

33 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

In that case, Classic Space, Castle, Pirates, and so on have never gone away, since most current sets use parts that were found in those themes and the modern minifigures are of exactly the same size.

2 hours ago, Jack Sassy said:

Wrong again, it's actually Legoland sets, they were doing so well for so many years, until discontinued in 1989, never to be seen again...

Wrong again, it is actually Belville :devil_laugh:, which lasted for almost 15 years before ending in 2008, never to be seen again :roflmao:

Wrong too. Galidor fans are the ones that suffer the most.:rofl:

10 minutes ago, Lego David said:

Wrong again, it is actually Belville :devil_laugh:, which lasted for almost 15 years before ending in 2008,

:laugh: think you will be hard pressed to find anyone that misses that theme.

11 minutes ago, Lego David said:

never to be seen again 

What do you mean, they moved in next door to Barbie :tongue:

1 minute ago, Niku said:

Galidor fans are the ones that suffer the most.

No doubt about that, but they are probably used to the suffering that comes from spending any time with Galidor sets :devil:

1 hour ago, Roebuck said:

think you will be hard pressed to find anyone that misses that theme.

I mean, the same could be said about Fabuland. A few people have a certain nostalgia for it, but nobody is actively begging LEGO to bring back the line, like Castle, Pirates, and Bionicle fans do.

1 hour ago, Roebuck said:

No doubt about that, but they are probably used to the suffering that comes from spending any time with Galidor sets

I have spent a fair amount of time with some Galidor sets, and I didn't suffer at all. I had a lot of fun with them, and don't regret getting them in the slightest. 

5 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Not sure what you mean, Legoland has sets almost every year even this year just have a look at Brickset:shrug_oh_well:

Wait what? *checks Brickset* No...I've been living all my life in a lie!!

22 hours ago, valon said:

i think that nexo knights, if the knights looked normal and if instead of vechiles they had mythical creatures would have been cool, the bad guys were good for normal castle and i am very suprised that they did not have a village set, most of the show is about monsters attacking normal medieval peasant villages

The lack of a set like that was one of my big disappointments with the theme, even as a fan of the sci-fi vehicles and stuff. The concept of a tech-infused medieval society was really cool to me and it would have been great to have gotten at least one village set showing how it affected average people in their everyday lives. Things like windmills with solar arrays for their vanes or a "techsmith" who could craft the sorts of energized weapons the knights used would have been awesome, and helped to contextualize the knights and what they were fighting to protect.

Actually, now I kind of want to try MOCing a "Nexo" version of the recent Blacksmith Ideas set...

Edited by Lyichir

On 4/11/2021 at 1:09 PM, Lego David said:

You are joking, right? Some people may be quite offended by this kinds of statements... :wacko:

Didn't you notice the wink emoji after my statement?  A wink means it is a joke...

Back to the topic at hand.  Castle LEGO fans have suffered the worst because they are the only real LEGO fans... :wink: :wink: :wink:  <---  joke indicator

But in all honesty, the fans that have suffered the longest without the release of new products are...  Modulex fans!!!  Architects around the world weep for its discontinuation!!!

To end the suffering I think ill give up on castle, and start collecting city sets. Skyscrapers are easier to build anyways. (With my luck Lego will probably stop making city sets once I've amassed a significant amount of lego city)

On 4/12/2021 at 11:38 PM, BrickJagger said:

Let's compare our misery :laugh:

It might be the bias speaking but I'm going to go with Castle. Until 2013 we had the expectation of yearly Castle sets and it was unceremoniously yanked out from under us with a dry spell that will soon become a full decade. Pirates' original run only lasted for about eight years and upon the discontinuation of the 2009 wave Lego made it clear that it would only be a part time theme. Pirates fans can reasonably expect to get something every few years, while we're basically staring down the barrel of the permanent discontinuation of our theme unless Lego says otherwise. At this point though, it's going to take action instead of meaningless platitudes or goofy excuses about Nexo and Harry Potter. I yield the floor.

I am honestly still mad at myself to this day about this.  I bought every single Kingdoms set/battlepacks/key chains and toys, it was around the time were the Superhero Marvel/DC Line came out when i completed those lines at the time and somehow I completely skipped the entire Castle 2013/2014 lineup, Now that I want to start looking into buying those sets, it’s impossible, i mean the asking price for kings castle is like 300-400 brand new with smaller sets going over 100usd.  

I could had have a blue theme castle but even parting it out will cost me 200 bucks because of rare pieces.

It’s like a void in my collection, that will not happen ever again though, starting with the 2015 pirates i bought 2 each being over paranoid LOL

part of me wants lego to reissue the 2013-2014 but oh well you know, lives and learns don’t youuu

Edited by eldiano

15 hours ago, eldiano said:

part of me wants lego to reissue the 2013-2014 but oh well you know, lives and learns don’t youuu

I came back to LEGO after 2016 so never got one of the older 2000s Castle sets , but certainly will be watching at the upcoming 3-in-1 Castle, and if the pieces are nice, looking at getting more then 1 set.

1 hour ago, TeriXeri said:

I came back to LEGO after 2016 so never got one of the older 2000s Castle sets , but certainly will be watching at the upcoming 3-in-1 Castle, and if the pieces are nice, looking at getting more then 1 set.

Instant purchase for me hands down!!! Everyday I’m on the lookout for the 31120, I am currently building the 21325 Medieval Castle and just keep thinking how a Falcons castle will fit right in, Granted they keep boasting about how the 21325 is the largest castle set ever but I want more than a blacksmith hut, like you I will for sure aim to purchase 2!!! 

17 hours ago, eldiano said:

Let's compare our misery :laugh:

It might be the bias speaking but I'm going to go with Castle. Until 2013 we had the expectation of yearly Castle sets and it was unceremoniously yanked out from under us with a dry spell that will soon become a full decade. Pirates' original run only lasted for about eight years and upon the discontinuation of the 2009 wave Lego made it clear that it would only be a part time theme. Pirates fans can reasonably expect to get something every few years, while we're basically staring down the barrel of the permanent discontinuation of our theme unless Lego says otherwise. At this point though, it's going to take action instead of meaningless platitudes or goofy excuses about Nexo and Harry Potter. I yield the floor.

I miss Castle as much as the next guy, I'm gonna play devil's advocate and say that Bionicle fans have been just as miserable, if not more so. In 2010, when the line was initially cancelled, LEGO promised that the online story serials that were supposed to wrap up the theme's story would be continued, but they ultimately decided shut down everything very soon afterwards, leaving in the dust all the Bionicle fans who were hoping for a proper conclusion to the theme's story. Fast forward to 2015, when the much hyped up reboot was released, and everyone is happy again... until that too was shut down before it even had a chance to properly start. 

Not having any sets released for almost a decade is one thing... but having the line return only to be quickly cancelled yet again was even more painful for those fans. 

8 minutes ago, Lego David said:

I miss Castle as much as the next guy, I'm gonna play devil's advocate and say that Bionicle fans have been just as miserable, if not more so. In 2010, when the line was initially cancelled, LEGO promised that the online story serials that were supposed to wrap up the theme's story would be continued, but they ultimately decided shut down everything very soon afterwards, leaving in the dust all the Bionicle fans who were hoping for a proper conclusion to the theme's story. Fast forward to 2015, when the much hyped up reboot was released, and everyone is happy again... until that too was shut down before it even had a chance to properly start. 

Not having any sets released for almost a decade is one thing... but having the line return only to be quickly cancelled yet again was even more painful for those fans. 

there are themes of that for worldbuilder, castle does not have as many, i get your point though

3 minutes ago, valon said:

there are themes of that for worldbuilder, castle does not have as many, i get your point though

Not exactly. There are currently no significant Bionicle-related theme ideas on World Builder. If anything, I'd argue there a lot more Castle-related projects on World Builder than there are Bionicle-related ones.

Truth be told, I don't think there's much point in arguing over who's "most disadvantaged", especially when even fans of the same theme can often have different ideas about what sort of sets or themes it'd take to fill the void they see in LEGO's current offerings.

Like, there are some Bionicle fans who might be happy with ANY new "constraction" theme that introduced useful new parts for action figure building, even if it's one like Hero Factory that has no relation to the Bionicle universe. But there are plenty of others who specifically want LEGO to bring back the Bionicle mythos in some form (with Toa, Masks of Power, elemental villages, biomechanical wildlife, and all that jazz), and who would have no interest in a non-Bionicle action figure theme.

Likewise, there are some Castle fans who would be content with a theme focusing on other parts of pre-industrial history like the Roman Empire, or with a medieval fantasy license like The Lord of the Rings. But at the same time, there are also Castle fans who specifically want non-licensed sets focusing on medieval knights, castles, and villages.

And anyhow, these sort of discussions have a tendency to derail topics like this one that are supposed to be focused on the future of the Castle theme specifically, as well as to generate needless divisions and animosity between fans of different themes. So I don't think that it's really productive for us to debate what theme's fans are worst off.

The new Harry potter chess set has some great swords and helms in new colors and here's to hoping with all these new recolors that we will get an actual castle theme someday with even more recolors and parts.  I really want the new sword in a different color.  Hope to see pics soon of the 3in1 set soon.  

What a number of us would like is a return of the mid-range priced sets that, with enough copies, one could easily create their own castles from the parts, and with the right fig distribution, potentially army build. I've also seen non-grey castle sets being asked for. I know Harry Potter doesn't do much to fill the void of fig wants, but two of the leaked sets should give us hope that Lego might find that the kinds of sets that would appeal to us if they weren't Harry Potter can also appeal to their core demographic.

First is Hogwarts: First Flying Lesson, which is based on a scene where the action is outside the castle itself. There seems to be little need for the intent of the scene to include much of an interior, or make the build any more complex that needed to provide stability for the flying function, but it looks like this set has both. We don't have an actual image of the rear, but the edge of a staircase on the right, and something visible through the left window, suggest a playable interior. I may be mistaken, but the build itself appears to be separable into three parts. To transform this into a Castle set wouldn't take much in the way of alteration, especially if the flying play function remains. Change all license specific prints/stickers and accessories to some unlicensed counterpart, Harry Neville and his broom to a flying villain or creature, the statue to a small catapult, the other three figs to some faction soldiers (yes I'm counting the gold fig), and there you have a fun Castle playset. That would be the kind of set that sits in the exact sweet spot of kid play interests, and Castle AFOL interests.

Second, for different reasons, is the Harry Potter chess set. While this set doesn't provide figs as pieces, it does provide an array of Castle weapons in non-gray/metallic colors. This idea is, to me, a boon to fantasy castle builders (@zoth33 providing an example as I type) , and could, I think, make future non-licensed chess sets (with actual figs) more appealing to younger buyers, which would in turn induce Lego to keep producing such sets. This also provides a few new brick built statuary designs that would be great additions to Castle sets, in place of the standard bland grey minifig statues.

If the sales of these sets could somehow be high enough above the rest of the Harry Potter line, maybe then Lego could realize what parts of Harry Potter actually appeal to both kids and Castle AFOLs, so that they could reuse those ideas in a future unlicensed historical/fantasy theme.

Edited by gedren_y

Harry Potter sets do almost bring back the Castle vibes for me, but I'm not interested in the theme/figs at all.

I can see how an expandable Hogwarts is probably more collectible compared to a 80s style wall section pack, even moreso with being helped by a series of books/movies and named characters for a collector's audience, but personally I do hope the Blacksmith Shop and 3-in-1 Castles sell high enough to signal the want for more unlicensed Castle type sets as well.

Also Hogwarts being traditionally Tan walled with Sandgreen roofs, and enclosed towers, would still be different from more traditional Grey/Blue or Grey/Red or even Black/Red Castle sets.

I loved the designs of the 2 big Nexo Knight Castle (Jestro/Knighton (even with the Darkblue color scheme)) locations, and even the Fortrex had a nod back to the Yellow Castle-inspired foldable design with towers at corners and a drawbridge, and having enough ramparts/combat towers does still set it apart from current Harry Potter which is very focused on certain rooms/closed towers instead of knights/archers/catapults etc.

I'm not someone to buy a set to sell figures off etc, so I'm not planning to get Harry Potter sets, but sets like that Flying Lesson do invoke parts of 1980s simple Castle sets, if it would be for example grey or black, and had 2-3 knights and/or horse instead of licensed figs.

Think of something like this minus the siege wagon (could be a small battering ram instead if it has a door gate or small breakable wall action feature)

6061-1.jpg

But then again, being realistic, having a larger Castle set like 3-in-1 is probably the only viable way to go right now, as shelf space/set numbers is already much much larger compared to the 80s and castle walls could be niche enough so they might not sell if they had like multiple variations of smaller unlicensed sets.

Mass producing 1 larger set, still with technically 3 official designs, and usually more generic pieces, is logistically much easier, and 3-in-1 theme is generally widely distributed.

Of course, again with the IDEAS blacksmith set and 3-in-1 being focused on Black Falcons LEGO does seem to target partly of a nostalgic audience as well, so maybe there's a chance to get a few sets of different "Classic" factions every 2 years or so.

Edited by TeriXeri

I just checked my local LEGO Certified Store's website, and I was very surprised to see that the Blacksmith Shop was being sold for 20% off. That's very unusual, especially for a large D2C set that only recently come out, so I am wondering... is the Blacksmith Shop not selling very well? Otherwise, I see no reason why a big set like it would be given on discount. If this set fails to bring in the profits LEGO wants, I very much fear we might not get anymore new Castle-related sets at all in the near future.

Edited by Lego David