BrickJagger

Future Castle Sets?

On 2/4/2021 at 10:19 AM, Poco Lypso said:

I meant 2013 viewed as a whole but I agree a 2nd or even 3rd wave could have made it fantastic.

It's a pity I started a year later and was able to grab a few of those sets. Had I known how things would develope I might have bought more :). But there were rumours about a new big budget fantasy castle theme coming out soon. Oh boy... lol.

Deep within I hope they come up with a legend of zelda collab for the release of botw 2.

I think a second or third wave to the castle sets might of helped, but I think the main aesthetics they chose for the theme were already pretty generic so I think they'd have to completely overhaul the theme with a different look to make it interesting.

I grew up with the Fantasy era, besides the fantastical elements like skeletons or trolls, I always appreciated the dark theming of the sets. They seemed mysterious and brutal in a way similar to Vikings. The 2013 theme felt dead on arrival to me because the sets were so basic looking. Nothing stood out at all, and the garish box art didn't help in my opinion.

21 hours ago, leafan said:

So I'm presuming that this Creator 3-in-1 Castle rumour is true for this summer, but what are people's thoughts on the minifigures?

Generic knight with no heraldry, new heraldry or a throw-back to a classis faction such as Lion Knights/Crusaders?

I'd prefer the latter, due to us already having a new Black Falcon torso; but I won't hold my breath since there was only 1 unique print for the 3-in-1 Pirate Ship set.

I'd hope for updated versions of old factions similar to the Black Falcons.

22 hours ago, leafan said:

So I'm presuming that this Creator 3-in-1 Castle rumour is true for this summer, but what are people's thoughts on the minifigures?

Based on the assumption that this set would be comparable to the Pirate Ship in size and number of minifigs, and after having checked the kind of figs that were included in older castles, my guess would be :
- A Black Falcon knight
- One or two soldier(s) featuring a different armor (can we hope a new print? I'm not familiar enough with Creator 3-in-1 sets to appreciate whether new minifig prints are usual in such sets)
- A lady (hoping a new print again, but maybe with a reuse the red female torso from the Barracuda Bay set? I can't think of another recent, non-licensed female torso that could fit in there)
- A skeleton

And a brickbuilt cart and horses!

EDIT : I just recalled that a new, very medieval female torso has been available in BAM recently. Perfect for the lady of the castle! (with a recolor of the Fairy Tale Princess' hat and hair?)

Edited by Aurore

2 hours ago, Aurore said:

I just recalled that a new, very medieval female torso has been available in BAM recently. Perfect for the lady of the castle!

Which torso is this? I've not had a chance to visit a Lego shop since 2019, and I'm always on the look out for medieval fig parts

22 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

Which torso is this? I've not had a chance to visit a Lego shop since 2019, and I'm always on the look out for medieval fig parts

I think she's referring to part 973pb---c01.  @makoy did a great job listing the BAM parts here.

That's a delightful torso. A pity it doesn't seem to be on Bricklink anywhere - I'll definitely be popping off to my nearest Lego shop as soon as UK lockdown restrictions ease enough to allow it, because I need one. :pir-wench:

5 hours ago, Aurore said:

A big reason 3-1 is not my thing, this is most likely a classic castle set made in 2021 so I have little hope that I find it very useful:sceptic:

18 hours ago, doomguy said:

I think a second or third wave to the castle sets might of helped, but I think the main aesthetics they chose for the theme were already pretty generic so I think they'd have to completely overhaul the theme with a different look to make it interesting.

I grew up with the Fantasy era, besides the fantastical elements like skeletons or trolls, I always appreciated the dark theming of the sets. They seemed mysterious and brutal in a way similar to Vikings. The 2013 theme felt dead on arrival to me because the sets were so basic looking. Nothing stood out at all, and the garish box art didn't help in my opinion.

I agree with you! I view(ed) them as better as nothing and since I heard rumors about a fantastic upcoming castle theme I didnt buy too many sets (regrettably in hindsight but not much).

Lego should take the adult market way more serious.

22 hours ago, zoth33 said:

Yeah I think that's a good number especially if it's a decent sized set.  I'm hoping if the knights aren't black falcons then they have some nice heraldry.  A nice peasant fig would be great too.

As nice as that would be, I kind of doubt we'd see that many minifigs in a Creator 3-in-1 set (even a large one). I mean, for comparison, even some of the biggest and priciest 3-in-1 sets like the Pirate Ship from last year, Townhouse Pet Shop & Cafe from 2019, and Pirate Roller Coaster from 2018 had only three or four minifigures each.

Then again, even that could be seen as an encouraging sign, since were NO Creator 3-in-1 sets with more than three minifigs until three years ago. So maybe this set will end up surprising me.

11 hours ago, MAB said:

I'd hope for updated versions of old factions similar to the Black Falcons.

Yeah me too. I always considered the Lion Knights/Crusaders as the mortal enemy of the Black Falcons as a kid, so that would be my hope in terms of new prints.

I'm also hoping that future CMF series give us updated versions of the old factions, much like they have recently with Blacktron, Space Police and Fright Knights.

10 hours ago, Aurore said:

Based on the assumption that this set would be comparable to the Pirate Ship in size and number of minifigs, and after having checked the kind of figs that were included in older castles, my guess would be :
- A Black Falcon knight
- One or two soldier(s) featuring a different armor (can we hope a new print? I'm not familiar enough with Creator 3-in-1 sets to appreciate whether new minifig prints are usual in such sets)
- A lady (hoping a new print again, but maybe with a reuse the red female torso from the Barracuda Bay set? I can't think of another recent, non-licensed female torso that could fit in there)
- A skeleton

EDIT : I just recalled that a new, very medieval female torso has been available in BAM recently. Perfect for the lady of the castle! (with a recolor of the Fairy Tale Princess' hat and hair?)

A lot of people are guessing another Black Falcon, and I can see why LTG would want to do that, but it seems a little boring to me to have a repeat of what they've just released.

The skeleton is in the bag imo - that's always the cop-out minifig (unless you're a Star Wars fan and get a Battle Droid).

All-in-all, I think I'd prefer it to be tied-in to an existing faction rather than a generic Castle.

6 hours ago, Aurore said:

@Alexandrina & @Grover Indeed, that's the one! 
BAM has been a nice source of medieval-fantasy parts (and animals) lately. 

50925379697_1da4f875ea_t.jpg 50924564653_d27aeaa713_t.jpg

Thanks for bringing my attention to this one. Is lavendar/pink accurate for medieval times? Not saying it isn't but my movie memory of such times does not recall this colour lol.

I suppose a princess may have mad the wealth and means to obtain exotic colours.

If Lego intends to capitalize on nostalgia, I think we could get a ghost instead of a skeleton. The 80's/90's themes had ghosts more often than skeletons. I would also be expecting a lot of black parts, as well as ingots in light bley. A redesigned Majisto could be in the offering as well.

1 hour ago, Aanchir said:

As nice as that would be, I kind of doubt we'd see that many minifigs in a Creator 3-in-1 set (even a large one). I mean, for comparison, even some of the biggest and priciest 3-in-1 sets like the Pirate Ship from last year, Townhouse Pet Shop & Cafe from 2019, and Pirate Roller Coaster from 2018 had only three or four minifigures each.

Then again, even that could be seen as an encouraging sign, since were NO Creator 3-in-1 sets with more than three minifigs until three years ago. So maybe this set will end up surprising me.

I remember being surprised when I saw the first Creator set with a minifigure period. 

Hopefully the upward trend continues and we get four or more figures this time around. Three soldiers, a king or queen of some kind and a skeleton would do the trick. I hope that they bring the Black Falcons out of retirement full-time at some point but until then I would prefer a new faction. I would not be surprised if the Falcons show up again in this set though.

14 minutes ago, BrickJagger said:

I remember being surprised when I saw the first Creator set with a minifigure period. 

Hopefully the upward trend continues and we get four or more figures this time around. Three soldiers, a king or queen of some kind and a skeleton would do the trick. I hope that they bring the Black Falcons out of retirement full-time at some point but until then I would prefer a new faction. I would not be surprised if the Falcons show up again in this set though.

Thinking about it, a even 4 minifigs seems a little sparse for a castle. I'd like for there to be at least 6. A king, 4 knights, and at least 1 other peasant/jester/cook.

I know I'm dreaming here but I still remember 6080 having 12 minifigs!

4 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I'm not actually expecting more than 3 or 4 at most.  I just know they are going to throw in a king minifig.  But they may surprise us only time will tell.  I am just glad to see castle sets again.  The blacksmiths shop was a fun build.  Hoping this is too.  

14 hours ago, leafan said:

Thanks for bringing my attention to this one. Is lavendar/pink accurate for medieval times? Not saying it isn't but my movie memory of such times does not recall this colour lol. 

I suppose a princess may have mad the wealth and means to obtain exotic colours.

Well...sorry if I'm slightly slipping out of topic, but colors in the Middle Ages is a subject matter that I find quite exciting. :excited:

Obtaining such a light purple fabric is possible with dye plants and techniques that were known in the Middle Ages - more precisely, dye plants and techniques that were historically confirmed in France from the 12th century onward.
However, at the time the social perception of color w/r to wealth and power was about saturation rather than hue (modern words that would have meant nothing in the Middle Ages) : the wealthy and powerful wore more vibrant, saturated colors which required a better dye quality. Lower-classes would wear more faded colors.
Hues had a symbolic value though, which could be positive or negative depending on the context (ex. black could be the color of humility and temperance, or the color of darkness and hell). 

Thus, our lady of the Black Falcon / Lion Knights castle would have probably worn royal blue / vibrant red.
However, since I don't expect LEGO minifig parts to be historically accurate, I would be thrilled to have a lady in lavender! 

I have high hopes for this set, but basically as a part pack. Since I'ts a 3 in 1 it has to have versatile parts and that will be great for MOCs. I'm not expecting many figures, comparing it to last year's pirate ship we'd have a king (the captain) two soldiers (the crew) and a skeleton, that is, if they chose to keep a 1:1 relation between the 2 sets, but I don't see a reason to do so, so there could be more figures or there could be less, however, all the creator sets available as of now have at most 4 minifigures, and that is rare and reserved to the largest ones, so It might be a good bet. In terms of build I hope most of the parts are reserved for the castle proper, but I expect there will also be secondary build such as horses, siege engines or a dragon.

1 hour ago, Aurore said:

However, at the time the social perception of color w/r to wealth and power was about saturation rather than hue (modern words that would have meant nothing in the Middle Ages) : the wealthy and powerful wore more vibrant, saturated colors which required a better dye quality. Lower-classes would wear more faded colors.
Hues had a symbolic value though, which could be positive or negative depending on the context (ex. black could be the color of humility and temperance, or the color of darkness and hell). 

I'd just like to say that this is perhaps the most useful tidbit of information I've ever come across on this forum. I have medieval-set fiction projects on the go in multiple media Lego and otherwise, and this isn't something I'd even have thought to research. 

Summer set images are starting to leak. No sign of the castle yet but other Creator sets have been published so it should be close.

Spoiler

Klammsteiner.net :innocent2:

On 2/10/2021 at 11:27 PM, leafan said:

On 2/11/2021 at 2:20 PM, Aurore said:

Obtaining such a light purple fabric is possible with dye plants and techniques that were known in the Middle Ages - more precisely, dye plants and techniques that were historically confirmed in France from the 12th century onward.

Also purple was the colour for Roman emperors,  so has been known for a long time.

what do you think the creator castle will look like !!!! knights and !!!! -valon

On 2/9/2021 at 6:55 AM, leafan said:

Generic knight with no heraldry, new heraldry or a throw-back to a classis faction such as Lion Knights/Crusaders?

I'd prefer the latter, due to us already having a new Black Falcon torso; but I won't hold my breath since there was only 1 unique print for the 3-in-1 Pirate Ship set.

My guess is at least one Lion Knight and (hopefully) one Forestman. 

I'd expect them to re-use the new Black Falcons for the set - but I would be disappointed if they didn't give us at least one new torso as well, where the Lion Knights or the Forestmen would make the most sense. I'd be happy about either, but hopes for Lion Knights.

The forestmen hat was in the statue for the city square set, and they might pair that with the green female torso in  POBB and Blacksmith to create a forest forestwoman. 

18 hours ago, MAB said:

Also purple was the colour for Roman emperors,  so has been known for a long time.

Even way before them. IIRC, the Phoenicians of the city of Tyre traded this dye across the Mediterranean Sea before even the Greek founded colonies westwards.