BrickJagger

Future Castle Sets?

19 hours ago, Aine said:

That'll be absolutely sick set. Maybe @pantelis could try to create something like that? :wink:

Mmmm.. Thats a great feedback my friend Aine to try something like this....!! :classic:

If a whole theme is too much right now, I think lego should do a big one-off, Creator 3-in-1 castle set.  You could have a traditional lego walled castle design, plus one that is more a large, multi-storied furnished keep, and then a design for a couple smaller, fortified house style designs.  

On 2/11/2020 at 8:25 PM, greenalfonzo said:

If a whole theme is too much right now, I think lego should do a big one-off, Creator 3-in-1 castle set.  You could have a traditional lego walled castle design, plus one that is more a large, multi-storied furnished keep, and then a design for a couple smaller, fortified house style designs.  

That would be amazing! Something not huge (so, fitting into the Creator 3-in-1 theme, not Expert), but big enough to have a decent number of bricks for 2 other models. I am sure it would be very popular.

The shield, shoulder armor and helmet in black/silver would make a great elite orc :classic: I'll add one to my hoard.

I was thinking about this whole “new” medieval-ish approach in Ninjago upcomming season and maybe TLC is going to test its succes and MAYBE acording to sales they wil came up with some proper medieval theme... new Viking and Knigjt in CMF series, new ideas Blacksmith... who knows? 

Just to add on to @Blazej_Holen 's theory, over the last few years Lego has hired several EB builders who almost exclusively made highly detailed Castle MOCs. The last two "castle sets" we've gotten, Löwenstein and the Blacksmith, line up more closely with their style of work than what TLG traditionally makes for the Castle theme. I'm not saying a line of medieval modulars are in the cards...but I'm also not saying it's not a possibility.

Just to keep the thread updated, Povoq's "The Castle in the Forest" has reached 10k supporters on Ideas and is moving on to the review stage! 

resize:800:450

This project hit 10k in less than two months, even after Lego had already approved the Blacksmith Shop. This is proof to me that there's very clearly a demand for a new Castle theme, and Lego should take note of that. It's been seven long years, and I'm getting the impression that people are finally fed up with TLG making excuses for the better part of a decade. We want what we want, Lego!

Just now, BrickJagger said:

Just to keep the thread updated, Povoq's "The Castle in the Forest" has reached 10k supporters on Ideas and is moving on to the review stage! 

resize:800:450

This project hit 10k in less than two months, even after Lego had already approved the Blacksmith Shop. This is proof to me that there's very clearly a demand for a new Castle theme, and Lego should take note of that. It's been seven long years, and I'm getting the impression that people are finally fed up with TLG making excuses for the better part of a decade. We want what we want, Lego!

Not sure if they'll also approve this one after approving the Blacksmith... If that set will become the "Castle Tribute" similar to how Pirates of Baracuda Bay is a Pirates Tribute, I don't see them approving two Castle-themed sets.

1 hour ago, Lego David said:

Not sure if they'll also approve this one after approving the Blacksmith... If that set will become the "Castle Tribute" similar to how Pirates of Baracuda Bay is a Pirates Tribute, I don't see them approving two Castle-themed sets.

Your logic is totally valid here sadly. Altough I'm hoping this would break precedents like that. Personally I think this one is much better for an actual playset than the blacksmith one. But we have to see the final version of that of course.

I'd be quite devastated if they'd give a no for this forestmen homage.

@Lego David @Medzomorak It is highly unlikely that this gets made into a set, but it means a lot that we were able to get *another* medieval set to 10k so soon after the last one. I'm sure that got Lego's attention. The end goal is getting Lego to make another fully fledged Castle theme, and the more medieval projects we support on Ideas, the more likely that becomes.

So, regarding the return of LEGO Castle, I really want this to happen. I remember LEGO Kingdoms, and THAT was a GREAT theme. With the two recent Castle-like sets reaching 10,000 supporters (one will be made into a real set), I think this shows LEGO that people want classic castle. I really would like to see a return in 2021 of Castle. They would need to go all out promoting this, but I think if they did it right, they could make good money off a return to classic Castle. Now, how would they do it exactly? Well, like it or not, they would probably put stud shooters in there. I don't really like the idea of knights using stud shooting crossbows, but they probably would if we like it or not. I feel as long as they didn't got too far with the stud shooters by placing them in every single set in every single build, it wouldn't look all that bad. I think that they would have to do 4 waves, with the summer and fall/holiday waves being the biggest, and thy could have one direct to consumer set a year (maybe two if they wanted), and they would have to have to have pleanty of sets in every price range ($4-$10, $15-$30, $35-$50, $60-$80, and $100+), and below I have listed, my ideas for how I would do it.

First Wave: Releasing January

Lion Knights Mobile Catapult (Polybag): $4: Details: Would just be a catapult with wheels. Minifigure: 1: Lion Knight with wide brim helmet and sword

Dragon Knights Mini Battering Ram (Polybag): $4: Details: A small battering ram with some spikes (using the spike tips that are molded onto 1x1 tiles). Minifigure: 1: Dragon Knight with standard full-head helmet and sword

Armor Cart Ambush: $10: Details: A Lion Knight armor cart with a helmet, torso armor, a halberd, a sword, and a shield. Minifigures: 3: 2 Lion Knights and 1 Dragon Knight

Lion Knight Minifigure Pack: $15 Details: Various Accessories and a small build or two for the Lion Knights. Minifigures: 1 Lion Knight Archer and 3 Lion Knights

Dragon Knight Minifigure Pack: $15 Details: Various Accessories and a small build or two for the Dragon Knights. Minifigures: 1 Dragon Knight Archer and 3 Dragon Knights

Outpost Attack: $25: Details: Remake of LEGO Kingdoms set 7948 Outpost Attack. Minifigures: 4: Lion Knight Archer with crossbow, Lion Knight with spear, Dragon Knight with spear, and Dragon Knight with sword

Dragon Knight Battle Fortress: $50: Details: A decent sized fortress with room for 15 minifigures. Minifigures: 7: 2 Dragon Knight Archers with crossbows, 4 Dragon Knights, and one heavy armored Lion Knight

Lion Knights Castle: $110: Details: A pretty big castle with pleanty of room for the Lion Knights and their horses. Has a drawbridge and archery stations, and a catapult for the Dragon Knight. Minifigures: 11: 3 Lion Knight Archers, Lion Knight King, Lion Knight Queen, 5 Lion Knights, and 1 Dragon Knight. 1 horse would also be included for the Dragon Knight to help pull the catapult as well as 4 horses for the Lion Knights.

Second Wave: Releasing May 

Lion Knight Catapault Cart: $4: Details: Polybag. Minifigures: 1 Lion Knight

Dragon Knight Target Practice: $4: Details: Polybag. The build is a small build made for archery practice (basically a Dragon Knights version of Kingdoms set 30062). Minifigure: 1 Dragon Knight

Knight's Showdown: $10: Details: A remake of Kingdoms set 7950. Minifigures: 1 Dragon Knight and 1 Lion Knight

Lion Knight Royal Carriage: $25: Details: A carriage for the Lion Knight king and queen. Has a decent sized carriage build with two horses with head armor and a plastic piece that serves as cloth on each horse's body that almost completley covers the main body. Has a few small tree builds. Minifigures: 1 Dragon Knight with sword, 1 Dragon Knight with spear, 1 Lion Knight with sword and whip, Lion Knight queen, and Lion Knight king, both king and queen are different from the Lion Knight Castle set

Dragon Knight Prison Breakout: $35: Details: A nice prison build for the Dragon Knights. Minifigures: 1 Lion Knight with sword, 1 Lion Knight Archer, and 3 Dragon Knights with various accessories

Lion Knight Army Builder: $40: Details: Lots of small builds and the set is reminiscent of the people packs from LEGO City: Figures: 25 Lion Knights

Dragon Knight Army Builder: $40: Details: Lots of small builds and the set is reminiscent of the people packs from LEGO City: Figures: 25 Dragon Knights

Dragon Knight Castle: $120: Details: A large castle for the Dragon Knights, with lots of room for the Dragon Knights and the castle is very different from the Lion Knight one, with the box having a stormy background compared to the blue sky and clouds on the box for the Lion Knight Castle, and the overall castle would be much more agressive than the Lion Knights one, with still having horses and other things that the Lion Knights Castle. Minifigures: Dragon Knight King, Dragon Knight Queen, 4 Dragon Knight Archers, 3 Dragon Knights with swords, and 3 Dragon Knights with spears

Now, I know this would be a lot of sets to release in a year, but maybe in the first year they could release some of these and they could release others in the second year.

Can we start a campaign to persuade LEGO to re-release CASTLE set? Has it been done before in the past? Seeing the success of 501st trooper set launch, perhaps we can use the power of the LEGO fans to ask for more CASTLE sets. 

XXIX5, your idea for a lion/Dragon knights release would be very well received, and I think that the sets you proposed are reasonable. They do seem cheaper than most Lego sets now, though

15 hours ago, one79 said:

Can we start a campaign to persuade LEGO to re-release CASTLE set? Has it been done before in the past? Seeing the success of 501st trooper set launch, perhaps we can use the power of the LEGO fans to ask for more CASTLE sets. 

It's one thing for Lego to release a new set based on a property they're already licensing and a subject they would inevitably cover anyway one of these years as the theme stretches onward beyond ongoing movie releases. It's an entirely different thing to think fans can convince Lego to re-release older sets when historically, re-releases have been incredibly poor sellers.

If you want new Castle sets your best options as a consumer are either to wait (the easiest but slowest option, as Lego will release new Castle sets when they're good and ready if history is anything to go by), or to create something new (not a re-release of an older set) and promote it through Lego Ideas, a service that's actually designed for soliciting those kinds of concepts. Take it from a Bionicle fan—petitions to get Lego to bring back a retired theme have little weight and are unlikely to convince them to undo a past decision or hasten a future one. Their actual decisions are grounded in a heck of a lot more concrete data and research than a handful of fans asking for something on the internet.

Edited by Lyichir

Yes, indeed it's regrettably nearly impossible that we'll see The Castle in the Forest as a set - although imo it would be much more interesting than that Blacksmith Shop (since of blacksmith shops we've been getting severals since now; in contrast there has never been a comeback of the Forestmen).

But (like others already mentioned) it really shows TLG how demanded historical themes are and esp. Castle is - against what TLG had claimed til last year.

An interesting side note to this: 1. I telephoned the Lego customer service (about something completely different) last week and the staff told me that (after the release of the Barracuda Ideas set) they get a lot of telephone calls saying that they want Pirates and Castle to come back. 2. I've been making the observation over some years now that (at least here in Germany) kids and teens are indeed interested in history.

<= So all this hopefully will move TLG to release a new Castle theme in 2021 - but this time please no videogame or fantasy style one, but a nice, classic looking but modern made theme like Kingdoms was (imo til now the best Catle theme ever)!

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Aw man I really was hoping this new series to be good I still hold to that hope, but if they go the way we have been looking in destroying franchises then there it goes, dead on arrival. :sick::dangry:

11 hours ago, gedren_y said:

Distressing news: this might be why LEGO seems not to be interested in restoring the LOTR license.

As a Middle Earth fan, I already lost all the interest I had in this series. A TV series about the second age of Middel Earth had lots of potential, but from what I hear, it seems like the producers are looking just make some quick cash off a popular franchise. :sick:

As someone who recently returned from his dark ages, missing Kingdoms and LoTR (among others) :cry3: the announcement of a new castle theme is what I'm really hoping for. Especially the whole style of Kingdoms really spoke to me, the more traditional approach to the middle ages (nothing against fantasy) was a nice throwback to the olden days.

The 2 new CMF's the Viking and Tournament Knight really get my hopes up though. They both have strikingly 'realistic' appearances/clothing/armor, compared to other CMF's. A new Viking theme would also be very welcomed! Especially with the new gear available, maybe with a greater focus on other things than horned helmets and dragons *cough, cough*.

It just pains the soul to have missed all those lovely pieces that belong to those themes. Even more so the prices for acquiring them now, which will empty your credit card faster than any hacker :laugh: Thank the gods that I recently found this community, you folks give me hope and inspiration!

6 hours ago, Lego David said:

As a Middle Earth fan, I already lost all the interest I had in this series. A TV series about the second age of Middel Earth had lots of potential, but from what I hear, it seems like the producers are looking just make some quick cash off a popular franchise. :sick:

It is hardly quick cash. They bought the rights in 2017, and are supposedly committing $1billion to it.

43 minutes ago, Sarophas said:

The 2 new CMF's the Viking and Tournament Knight really get my hopes up though. They both have strikingly 'realistic' appearances/clothing/armor, compared to other CMF's.

Strikingly realistic, just like the Roman soldier back in 2012. Many of the historical and warrior figures have been reasonably realistic, but nothing has come of them.