BrickJagger

Future Castle Sets?

On 12/21/2019 at 3:00 PM, Grover said:

If I were to speculate, and in fact that is all this is, I suspect that the reason that we haven't seen a generic Lego Castle theme is due to the LotR and HP series recently.  I suspect they do not want to dilute sales from these lines.  I would wager that is also the reason we have not seen classic space lines (dilution of SW sales), although I have not seen any research into that.

Not too sure about this, we had Kingdoms on the shelf at the same time as HP. We had LotR on the shelf towards the end of Kingdoms & into the 2013 Castle line. Likewise with SW we had Galaxy Squad & Alien Conquest. What the sales were of those themes & if they did affect one over the other...I don’t know. All I know is I bought both LotR, HP, & Kingdoms. 

I know there was a fair bit of grumbling about the ‘13 Castle line, but it looks like the typical offerings to me. 

I was going through images of the upcoming Trolls sets, and saw a centaur fig. It is a pale blue, with what looks like an orange tail. The shape is a bit cartoony for Castle, but at least we now know that LEGO can make one that fits the standard torso.

Could you send the link to that "troll site", please? I'm not that much into fantasy, but this may be a cool addition for Castle fans, so I'm pretty interested!
Duh, uhm... yeah, I googled the theme and well... not my cup of tea. :laugh:  https://www.brothers-brick.com/2019/11/20/trolls-world-tour-lego-sets-revealed-news/
But there could be useful parts, I just thought that it'll be a classic fantasy stuff.

I know there was a fair bit of grumbling about the ‘13 Castle line, but it looks like the typical offerings to me. 

That line was pretty short, unfortunately. I like the King's Castle, but it looks like the two bigger sets used a lot of big specialized parts and the rest were small collections of few minifigs. Double the amount of sets, make a few of them more brick-heavy, and I'm all for it!

On 12/22/2019 at 3:00 AM, SteamSewnEmpire said:

I know it's stupid, and that castle hasn't really "gone away" so long as people continue to build it. But I feel like a lot of the recent themes - Ninjago and Hidden Side are particularly guilty of this - have fallen into the trap of telling kids stories, rather than allowing people buying the product to make up their own minds or create their own universes... I also miss simpler items that have been phased out - like the pointed helmet of yore:

3896.t1.png

IMO, while I tended to overlook it a lot at the time, that really was my favorite Castle-themed headware, and I wish it would come back in some more modern silvered colors. It's not that I dislike the newer gear, but it was cool that that particular helmet offered both protection, realistic looks, AND allowed your to display the character's face. There was something almost kingly about it, too - very reminiscent of the armored crowns that so many monarchs wore into battle:

sxCUXu4.jpg

Anyway, I'm just rambling, I know. But I'm very dispirited about the future of traditional lines like Castle (and Pirates). Couldn't they just lay off the gas pedal slightly with the endless parade of police sets one year and cut us a break?

I wish to return to this post once more.
I think that we're done with any major lego support, at least considering afol-friendly sets. The recent Löwenstein set is insane, and I hate the fact that I missed it, but it's still an exception similar to MVV and such. This reminds me of the situation in Magic: the Gathering and its Eternal formats; they are not abandoned by Wizards of the Coast, but they are not really supported anymore: they turned into community driven formats years ago, in case of Vintage even decade ago.

Afols, and more specifically Castle fans should acknowledge that time has come for them to build their own kingdom without any direct support from LEGO. There are ton and tons of medieval/fantasy MOCs, just the one thread on EB shows hundreds of castle armies, YT is full of fanmade videos (although these might be in jeopardy due to recent policy change), and BL offers nigh endless opportunity for solid deal, at least for the ones who got enough gold. I really think that the future lies in a DIY community approach. Use the old parts, repurpose the non-Castle stuff, print your own decals, maybe even find the pad prinitng company close to your home, share the MOC ideas and instructions, support Brick Warriors/Forge, 3D print your own stuff if you can.
Last note: I know that I'm guilty of blathering, and that I offered very litle from my own work, and yeah, this is directly linked to lego's nonexistant support of Castle theme as it's hard to build something when the purchases are limited to BL offers, but seeing projects like the Troll Town by @TheCook give me hope for a brighter future. And nope, when I write "brighter", I don't mean translucent pink... :-)

Edited by Aine

7 hours ago, Aine said:

Could you send the link to that "troll site", please? I'm not that much into fantasy, but this may be a cool addition for Castle fans, so I'm pretty interested!
Duh, uhm... yeah, I googled the theme and well... not my cup of tea. :laugh:  https://www.brothers-brick.com/2019/11/20/trolls-world-tour-lego-sets-revealed-news/
But there could be useful parts, I just thought that it'll be a classic fantasy stuff.

That line was pretty short, unfortunately. I like the King's Castle, but it looks like the two bigger sets used a lot of big specialized parts and the rest were small collections of few minifigs. Double the amount of sets, make a few of them more brick-heavy, and I'm all for it!

I wish to return to this post once more.
I think that we're done with any major lego support, at least considering afol-friendly sets. The recent Löwenstein set is insane, and I hate the fact that I missed it, but it's still an exception similar to MVV and such. This reminds me of the situation in Magic: the Gathering and its Eternal formats; they are not abandoned by Wizards of the Coast, but they are not really supported anymore: they turned into community driven formats years ago, in case of Vintage even decade ago.

Afols, and more specifically Castle fans should acknowledge that time has come for them to build their own kingdom without any direct support from LEGO. There are ton and tons of medieval/fantasy MOCs, just the one thread on EB shows hundreds of castle armies, YT is full of fanmade videos (although these might be in jeopardy due to recent policy change), and BL offers nigh endless opportunity for solid deal, at least for the ones who got enough gold. I really think that the future lies in a DIY community approach. Use the old parts, repurpose the non-Castle stuff, print your own decals, maybe even find the pad prinitng company close to your home, share the MOC ideas and instructions, support Brick Warriors/Forge, 3D print your own stuff if you can.
Last note: I know that I'm guilty of blathering, and that I offered very litle from my own work, and yeah, this is directly linked to lego's nonexistant support of Castle theme as it's hard to build something when the purchases are limited to BL offers, but seeing projects like the Troll Town by @TheCook give me hope for a brighter future. And nope, when I write "brighter", I don't mean translucent pink... :-)

I agree with everything you've said except the part where LEGO won't support any afol friendly sets.  But I completely agree that afols should be using bricklink, lego sets that have useful pieces or figs, using bricks and pieces, brick warriors/forge, etc to expand their own lego worlds.  I have been saying this before, I've even bought several battle of atlantis sets for the figs and pieces.  I'm actually using the figs for a custom elf army.  I also find a lot of use out of the latest ninjago wave with the ice zombies and fire snakes, they are excellent figs and awesome for customizing an army of figs.  I still want to see a castle set or line of sets show up sometime but there are plenty of other sets and figs that fit my fantasy world that I have created.  I even use alot of super hero both DC/Marvel stuff to get great custom figs and interesting parts for builds.  Even the elves line had great pieces for builds.  As you say the possibilities are endless if you use your imagination and what is available to you, you could build something special.  

8 hours ago, Aine said:

I think that we're done with any major lego support, at least considering afol-friendly sets. 

Forever is very long time. I believe castle will come back.

@zoth33 I didn't write my thoughts well. I meant that there may be no real Castle line made by lego for years, similarly how there's no Vintage-only based set in MtG. However there surely will be some kind of support (an equivalent of occassional Eternal playable) in the form of MVV-esque sets, useful parts in other themes, and maybe even some Castle-like line in the vein of Ninjago and similar stuff. But a 1980's XIIth Century England Nostalgia Line may not return any time soon due to the factors that we've discussed already.
And yes, a lot of what we're talking about is more about nostalgia than anything else. Maybe we want to go back to our childhood and relive the days when we were small kids drawn into the world of lego knights and castles, and thus we search for that perfect imitation of that perfect moment, that's why we collect the old school worn out yellowed scratched stuff because it has that spell that works on and for us. I guess that if only I'd take of my old-fogyish glasses, I'd see the lego world much differently.

@SteamSewnEmpire Why are you doing this to me? :grin:

15 hours ago, Aine said:

@zoth33 I didn't write my thoughts well. I meant that there may be no real Castle line made by lego for years, similarly how there's no Vintage-only based set in MtG. However there surely will be some kind of support (an equivalent of occassional Eternal playable) in the form of MVV-esque sets, useful parts in other themes, and maybe even some Castle-like line in the vein of Ninjago and similar stuff. But a 1980's XIIth Century England Nostalgia Line may not return any time soon due to the factors that we've discussed already.
And yes, a lot of what we're talking about is more about nostalgia than anything else. Maybe we want to go back to our childhood and relive the days when we were small kids drawn into the world of lego knights and castles, and thus we search for that perfect imitation of that perfect moment, that's why we collect the old school worn out yellowed scratched stuff because it has that spell that works on and for us. I guess that if only I'd take of my old-fogyish glasses, I'd see the lego world much differently.

It's cool.  I just like castle/fantasy stuff even if there is no official line of castle out.  I also want a castle/fantasy line to come out or even a ideas set but until then i will just keep building on and customizing my armies.  Let's hope that there is something in the pipeline at least.  Cheers and build on fellow Lego enthusiast.  

16 hours ago, Aine said:

Legos are blocks. Castles are composed of stone blocks. A lot of their elements have hard angles that Lego well represents; there are a ton of castle-specific parts that Lego has developed over the years that, without a castle line, are not generating revenue. Additionally, millenials and - in particular - generation Y have profoundly materialistically-oriented nostalgia; there is money to be made in farming both them directly, and their children, for whom they would like similar experiences.

All of the above are good business reasons why Lego will eventually do another castle line - it's just too logical a play not to call.

You're rght, both of you are right. But that's the exact reason why Lego's reluctance to make a great nostalgic line surprises me. They'd rake in money, I'd guess, and they'd put to use all the old mouldings that gather dust instead of gold. Lego bosses either know something that we do not, or maybe it's just easier and safer for them to play it easily and safely.

6 hours ago, Aine said:

You're rght, both of you are right. But that's the exact reason why Lego's reluctance to make a great nostalgic line surprises me. They'd rake in money, I'd guess, and they'd put to use all the old mouldings that gather dust instead of gold. Lego bosses either know something that we do not, or maybe it's just easier and safer for them to play it easily and safely.

The problem with resurrecting old molds is that most have became worn with use, so that they would need to be recut. Nostalgia sets don't generally sell well enough to warrant such production costs. There are a few I would have LEGO restore, but only because more recent parts would make them infinitely more usable. There are also some new molds that I'd like be made based on older molds, like a log wall version of the 1x6x5 panel, or maybe even a 1x4x5 version. This way current LEGO build techniques could be used in conjunction with the older aesthetic so many are nostalgic for.

2 hours ago, gedren_y said:

The problem with resurrecting old molds is that most have became worn with use, so that they would need to be recut. Nostalgia sets don't generally sell well enough to warrant such production costs. There are a few I would have LEGO restore, but only because more recent parts would make them infinitely more usable. There are also some new molds that I'd like be made based on older molds, like a log wall version of the 1x6x5 panel, or maybe even a 1x4x5 version. This way current LEGO build techniques could be used in conjunction with the older aesthetic so many are nostalgic for.

Yeah, I work in a factory for twenty years, but this didn't hit me. You're right, the moulds can be totally worn out.
Otoh, if they can create each year an insane amount of new moulds, they should have some spare gulden to recreate the spangelhelm at the very least.
Also, I'm not sure how well the nostalgia sets sell, especially considering that I can't tell what is and what isn't such a set - e.g. Barracuda remake is quite obvious, but what about sets like MVV made the 1980's fandom roar, yet they are modern sets - but I'd be surprised to realize that they weren't popular. I beleive that the GenY people would love them, and they'd pass this passion on their children, as written above. Maybe I'm wrong, I haven't read any data no those sets' sellings...

At least by set names , some Castle/Dungeon type things will come later in 2020.

Ninjago getting a "Skull Sorcerer's Dragon" and "Skull Sorcerer's Dungeon" both large sets.

Hidden Side gets a "Castle of Mystery" large set.

Of course it's very early without pictures but I'm positive.

Edited by TeriXeri

1 hour ago, TeriXeri said:

At least by set names , some Castle/Dungeon type things will come later in 2020.

Ninjago getting a "Skull Sorcerer's Dragon" and "Skull Sorcerer's Dungeon" both large sets.

Hidden Side gets a "Castle of Mystery" large set.

Of course it's very early without pictures but I'm positive.

I'm the opposite. Those aren't going to satisfy the Castle itch for me and seemingly many others, just by the nature of them not being from a Castle theme.

I feel like this year is the last chance for many Castle fans.

I mean, we've had a few Ninjago Castles already and they're just not what the majority is looking for.

1 hour ago, leafan said:

I'm the opposite. Those aren't going to satisfy the Castle itch for me and seemingly many others, just by the nature of them not being from a Castle theme.

I feel like this year is the last chance for many Castle fans.

I mean, we've had a few Ninjago Castles already and they're just not what the majority is looking for.

I know they aren't replacements for real a Castle theme, I never even considered it as such, but, 2018 and 2019 had even less. 

I'd personally would love something like 2007-2009 Fantasy or 2010-2011 Humans Castle line , or something truly Classic 80s to Mid 90s, I don't know what other people are looking for.

And LEGO putting those shields and silver helmets in the BAM bar is just teasing us :def_shrug:

Edited by TeriXeri

5 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

And LEGO putting those shields and silver helmets in the BAM bar is just teasing us 

Lol yeah, until they start adding licenced pieces to that too :head_back: A teal Batman torso? Why not!

I say that tongue in cheek, naturally.

I want them to do something similar to the 2011 Kingdoms line.

6 hours ago, leafan said:

I want them to do something similar to the 2011 Kingdoms line.

Definitely the best vintage! 7189: Mill Village Raid :wub:

A similar farm set with stable for horses and cows and maybe a small house for the farmers. In addition to a pigsty and chicken coop as small builds. Then some goats and sheep going grazing and a lot of different crops growing. Maybe a knight and his squire comes riding to the farm for a hot meal and spend the night in the stable sleeping on some hay... One can dream right :laugh:

New member @Harkonen has some interesting info to share regarding Ninjago that may be of some pertaince here...

4 hours ago, Harkonen said:

Some interesting info I know about the Ninjago summer sets:

• Main villains are black skeletons
  • The ninjas are trapped into a board game like Dungeons and Dragons 
  • Every set can connect to make a big Dungeon 
  • Sets will contain cards like in DnD
  • There are at least three more sets coming
  • More western inspired, less asian and less focus on tehnological vehicles but instead on magical ones
  • Cole focus
  • Creatures like Beholders appear in the sets (not 100% sure about this one) 

That does sound great.  I like the fact the skeletons aren't like the skulkins and the sorcerer has a different mold.  This could be very cool.  I know my youngest son will love it.  

I'm curious about this. I've been buying Ninjago sets off and on when some catch my interest, but this could catch my full attention.

7 hours ago, Medzomorak said:

So that's like a Trojan ninja horse full of high fantasy sets inside?

Sure, that seems to be how a lot of playthemes operate in recent years, helping make-up for where a full-on theme isn't viable at the moment for whatever reason.