BrickJagger

Future Castle Sets?

9 hours ago, Shroffy123 said:

Anyone think we'll get another round of Lord of the rings sets when the new Amazon series comes out ? 

Hard to say. First it will depends on the age classification of the show. Amazon may keep the 13+ or lower like the movies or may go looking for the GoT money (with more violence, I don’t thing the license will allow more sexual themes).

Second, I don’t thing the theme was all that successful (sure it was loved by us). Specially The Hobbit sets. 

Third, the theme is not suited for much play action sets or vehicles like Lego likes. Mostly for battle sets or display sets. We got a lot of “wall” sets in the past that did not sold well. Maybe the current HP sets are a indication that the theme could work as integrated builds.

On 8/10/2019 at 8:26 AM, Shroffy123 said:

Anyone think we'll get another round of Lord of the rings sets when the new Amazon series comes out ? 

Probably not, since the theme was not a best seller for kids :shrug_oh_well:

Hopefully the series will spark enough interest in medieval fantasy that will get new castle sets. It's been so long. :sad:

My concern with the new shield is that it's far too intricate for it to be a print they'd do for the shield of an average soldier over the course of an entire castle line. Those shields tend to be simple and graphic with only one charge occupying the foreground. I'd be ok with some kind of one-off high quality castle set, but I'm much more worried that this is going to end up in some modern build as part of a statue, like many of the more ornate lego shields have been.

Maybe it's just me , I wouldn't mind if they kept using some printed 2x3 shield tiles as inserts.

Nexo Knights showed they could already make 3 different style of shield molds.

The actual inserts were printed on transparent tiles, maybe printing on opaque tiles didn't turn out as nice as expected and they used stickers for those.

But it did show they can print a lot of interesting crests on it, dragons , eagles, weapons, and all sorts of others, just leave off the scannable borders.

Also could use those tiles with some smaller handles.

Edited by TeriXeri

On 8/13/2019 at 7:46 AM, 2maxwell said:

My concern with the new shield is that it's far too intricate for it to be a print they'd do for the shield of an average soldier over the course of an entire castle line. Those shields tend to be simple and graphic with only one charge occupying the foreground. I'd be ok with some kind of one-off high quality castle set, but I'm much more worried that this is going to end up in some modern build as part of a statue, like many of the more ornate lego shields have been.

Or maybe it won't be in sets at all. A Lego designer said on social media something along those lines. Prints are relatively cheap compared to new molds, and doing exclusive prints in the BAM section gets people into stores where they probably also buy other sets too.

On 7/7/2019 at 10:05 PM, zoth33 said:

With all the stuff on B&P that are out of stock especially castle related and how well all the castle stuff sells on the build a minifig hopefully lego is seeing this and has some upcoming sets planned.  It would be great to see something by 2020.  

Honestly, I'd be thrilled if they just started sneaking a massive amount of new castle figures and new shields into Build a Minifigure. When I see new parts in BAM I buy them immediately no questions asked.

9 hours ago, Gomek said:

Honestly, I'd be thrilled if they just started sneaking a massive amount of new castle figures and new shields into Build a Minifigure. When I see new parts in BAM I buy them immediately no questions asked.

That would be great.  I might be heading to a lego store this weekend.  I'll see what I can find this time.  

The Brick Fan - Ten Projects Qualify for LEGO Ideas Second 2019 Review Stage

LEGO Ideas Second 2019 Review Stage

Earlier today, the LEGO Ideas Second 2019 Review qualifying period ended and that means there are 10 projects that have moved on to the review stage. Technically there were actually 12 projects that qualified but two of them were archived and were disqualified from moving on for reasons unknown to us. LEGO last month released a statement about that. The projects that do move on include:

-UCS Space Shuttle Atlantis by Snelson42
-Thunderbirds Are Go by AndrewClark2
-Pursuit of Flight by JKBrickworks
-History Museum by Bricky_Brick
-The Office by Lego The Office
-Medieval Blacksmith by Namirob
-Winnie the Pooh by benlouisa
-Nasa Spacecraft by Micro_Model_Maker
-The Haunted Mansion: 50th Anniversary by GoodOlPrice
-The Seven Dwarfs’ House by Hanwasyellowfirst

Edited by Digger of Bricks

I really hope the blacksmith's shop or the 7 dwarves gets made.  They both look great.  

If you look in LEGO's half year results for 2019 there is a nice surprise. Castle is one of the top 6 top selling themes ...

jnrXavB.png

So long as you count Friends as Castle, that is.

On 9/2/2019 at 9:16 PM, zoth33 said:

I really hope the blacksmith's shop or the 7 dwarves gets made. They both look great.  

Same here, though their shared similarities would likely prevent both from being approved together in the same review. If anything, I'd hope one of the two will be moved to the following review for further consideration; but, if there was one that'd just have to be outright rejected, unfortunately it'd be best if it were the Dwarves' Cottage, as both Lego and Disney would likely pick-up on the success of that project and give us a similar such set anyway (likely a few years after the fact as one of their annual D2Cs). Plus, I'm pretty such most Castle fans here would gladly take an original set over one attached to an IP.

31 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Plus, I'm pretty such most Castle fans here would gladly take an original set over one attached to an IP.

I agree, although I do think that the Space Shuttle, or the Nasa Spacecraft, is a shoe-in.

12 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Same here, though their shared similarities would likely prevent both from being approved together in the same review. If anything, I'd hope one of the two will be moved to the following review for further consideration; but, if there was one that'd just have to be outright rejected, unfortunately it'd be best if it were the Dwarves' Cottage, as both Lego and Disney would likely pick-up on the success of that project and give us a similar such set anyway (likely a few years after the fact as one of their annual D2Cs). Plus, I'm pretty such most Castle fans here would gladly take an original set over one attached to an IP.

Yeah I'm just hoping for one to get through.  I just want something castle  that is not attached to Harry Potter.  Even if it ends up being a creator set at this point I wouldn't care.  

A future continued Castle wave seems very unlikely for the reason that you already know: Nexo Knights have taken its place. 

Nevertheless, a discontinued wave of sets, like Lego did with Pirates in 2009 and 2015, it doesn't seem so unlikely to me. 

3 minutes ago, Captain Fortune said:

A future continued Castle wave seems very unlikely for the reason that you already know: Nexo Knights have taken its place.

Nexo Knights is no longer though, as 2018 was its last year. :wink:

13 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Nexo Knights is no longer though, as 2018 was its last year. :wink:

Nexo Knights is still officially a current theme, as it is listed on lego.com. However, the only things left seem to be the human scale mace and shield and both are discounted (at least in UK) so it should hopefully disappear completely soon.  A few stores still have sets too, but again hopefully they will soon go to make room for something new.

The upcoming Frozen II sets, added to the existing Harry Potter theme, make me think that Castle won't be seeing a reboot anytime soon.

23 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

The upcoming Frozen II sets, added to the existing Harry Potter theme, make me think that Castle won't be seeing a reboot anytime soon.

I don't really see why that would be the case. The Arendelle set is not that different to the previous one, or other small Disney castles type sets. The other sets in the theme look more like Elves sets to me.

Plus the audience for Frozen and Castle is likely to be quite different.

8 hours ago, Lego David said:

I really hope the Blacksmith shop ends getting approved.

Looks like a no. They just apprvoed 3 sets (one of which was the beautiful Pirate Bay), so I guess that means that the Medieval Blacksmith is out!?

We'll keep trying!

45 minutes ago, leafan said:

(one of which was the beautiful Pirate Bay),

Well, at least we got Pirates, so I am very happy with that too.

11 hours ago, leafan said:

Looks like a no. They just apprvoed 3 sets (one of which was the beautiful Pirate Bay), so I guess that means that the Medieval Blacksmith is out!?

We'll keep trying!

Don't give up hope yet. The Medieval Blacksmith is in the next review session (where the result will come in early 2020).

17 hours ago, Etzel said:

Don't give up hope yet. The Medieval Blacksmith is in the next review session (where the result will come in early 2020).

Excellent; I didn't know that, thanks.