BrickJagger

Future Castle Sets?

On 6/18/2019 at 11:22 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

For those interested, as of this post, Namirob's Medieval Blacksmith project on LEGO Ideas is only 240 supporters away from achieving support!!! :sweet:

Love that one.  Nice goat.  Supported.

The yellow vs fleshie divide is always an interesting one. I had a fairly large collection of yellow skin LOTR MOC minifigures before they did the official sets, but thought nothing of selling off the main characters and upgrading* them to fleshies when the official ones came along. * I know some people will say I downgraded!  Fortunately, the Series 3 elf had no yellow on his torso, so I kept all those and sold off the heads, hair and hands and replaced them with fleshie versions. Similarly the earlier dwarves and the CMF S5 one were easy to upgrade to fleshie. But both were "licensed" in terms of MOCs.

I tend to replace all my yellow skins now, even if non-licensed. It is a pain when they have tiny bits of yellow on the torso - and no doubt vice-versa for others, when they have tiny bits of fleshie skin on the torso.

3 hours ago, MAB said:

The yellow vs fleshie divide is always an interesting one. I had a fairly large collection of yellow skin LOTR MOC minifigures before they did the official sets, but thought nothing of selling off the main characters and upgrading* them to fleshies when the official ones came along. * I know some people will say I downgraded! 

I think it comes down to personal preference, and there's no good and bad. 

I know there could be endless debate on why some people like yellow, fleshie, or minidolls, but in the end, all 3 are still on sale, and even older LEGO is still mostly compatible to mix and match and allow people to do what they want.

If someone would tell it's a downgrade, that's just projecting their opinion on someone elses LEGO collection and that's silly.
Of course it affects the way I buy sets, or vote on IDEAS but those are again, personal choices :wink:

Edited by TeriXeri

Yeah, and of course there is the internal yellow-skin battle of classic smiley vs having an expression.

On 6/21/2019 at 7:24 AM, MAB said:

The yellow vs fleshie divide is always an interesting one. I had a fairly large collection of yellow skin LOTR MOC minifigures before they did the official sets, but thought nothing of selling off the main characters and upgrading* them to fleshies when the official ones came along. * I know some people will say I downgraded!  Fortunately, the Series 3 elf had no yellow on his torso, so I kept all those and sold off the heads, hair and hands and replaced them with fleshie versions. Similarly the earlier dwarves and the CMF S5 one were easy to upgrade to fleshie. But both were "licensed" in terms of MOCs.

I tend to replace all my yellow skins now, even if non-licensed. It is a pain when they have tiny bits of yellow on the torso - and no doubt vice-versa for others, when they have tiny bits of fleshie skin on the torso.

I used to be an adamant yellow supporter, but I ended up changing for the most part.  Now I much prefer my minifigures to be fleshies.

On 6/19/2019 at 11:07 PM, x105Black said:
On 6/18/2019 at 10:22 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

For those interested, as of this post, Namirob's Medieval Blacksmith project on LEGO Ideas is only 240 supporters away from achieving support!!! :sweet:

Love that one.  Nice goat.  Supported.

Pssst, now as of this post, the project is only thirty-five supporters away from achieving support! :wink:

I imagine this will be of interest to you all: 

12 hours ago, Rockstaremcee said:

18836pb03.png

Found this shield in the Mall of America Lego Store (Minneapolis, MN) - Build-a-Minifigure this last weekend.

The Brick Fan - LEGO Ideas Medieval Blacksmith Achieves 10,000 Supporters

The Medieval Blacksmith by Namirob is the latest project to achieve 10,000 supporters on LEGO Ideas. The building features two floors and you can access the interiors by lifting off the floors. The project also proposes a modest three minifigures.

The project now joins UCS Space Shuttle Atlantis, Thunderbirds Are Go, Gravity Falls Mystery Shack, Pursuit of Flight, History Museum, and The Office as the projects to reach the Second 2019 Review Stage.

4888087-o_1bueli442neh1r89dssqj77utc-rG5b9kUUmrietQ-thumbnail-full.jpg

Blacksmith does look good, but the scale is just way too large for me personally.

Still, good luck.

I hope that shield in the Build a Minifig bar is a sign that something is coming soon. I did snag one at my local LEGO Store as well.

Those keys on the shield are like super close to the Coat of Arms the Vatican uses, or the Latin Church.

I don't know what LEGO is going for with this Shield.

The lion is almost the same from the old "Crusaders" LEGO Castle theme.

LEGO Crusaders  :

250?cb=20090515124714

Gold Lion on Blue Background :

House of Plantagenet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armorial_of_the_House_of_Plantagenet

140px-Arms_of_Geoffrey_of_Anjou.svg.png Geoffrey Plantagenet, Count of Anjou

Red/Blue Squared shield :

140px-Royal_Arms_of_England_(1399-1603). Kings of England 1406–1422, 1461–1470, 1471–1485

And then this single Lion / Richard 1 the "Lionheart" who fought against Saladin in the 3rd Crusade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Arms_of_England (12th century - 1707)

Richard first used a single Lion (Rampant)

140px-Royal_Arms_of_England_(1154-1189).

Later , Richard used 3 lions (Passant) until his death, leading to the 3 lions being the Coat of Arms of England.

Lvisrdce.jpg  150px-Royal_Arms_of_England.svg.png

A single Lion (Rampant) used in the old Coat of Arms of Scotland : (12th century - 1707)

150px-Royal_Arms_of_the_Kingdom_of_Scotl

Later, they were combined into Great Britain: (1707-1801)

220px-Coat_of_Arms_of_Great_Britain_(171

Crusades :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusades

"The Crusades were a series of religious wars sanctioned by the Latin Church in the medieval period."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coats_of_arms_of_the_Holy_See_and_Vatican_City

200px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_Vatican_City.s

Flag of Vatican City :

170px-Flag_of_the_Vatican_City.svg.png

Now I am not a historian of any kind, but it's very interesting to see how LEGO might have come to the design of this printed shield, and originally the 80s LEGO Crusader Lion.

The keys on the shield being very similar to the symbols of the Vatican is my biggest surprise however.

Edited by TeriXeri

On 6/25/2019 at 10:03 PM, BrickJagger said:

Thanks, I wasn't sure where or how many times to post this. :)

On 6/26/2019 at 12:52 AM, KotZ said:

I kind of hope this doesn't get made because my wallet will kill me and I have no more room in my apartment, as this will be a must buy for me.:laugh:

I commiserate, however, I still want this made lol

14 hours ago, Blakstone said:

I hope that shield in the Build a Minifig bar is a sign that something is coming soon. I did snag one at my local LEGO Store as well.

YES!!!  I just assumed it was from a previous CMF and was ecstatic when I realized it was a new part to Bricklink!

TCould the shield be an one off such as the Leicester Square minifig with the UK flag under his suit jacket?

While I would love a new Castle theme, I cannot imagine the Key Lions as a main faction.

But I would be happy to be wrong.

EDIT: corrected Leicester

Edited by Blakstone

On 6/25/2019 at 11:03 PM, BrickJagger said:

Very interesting.  And it's on the new taller shield from the looks of it.  I'll have to check it out.

19 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Those keys on the shield are like super close to the Coat of Arms the Vatican uses, or the Latin Church.

The keys on the shield being very similar to the symbols of the Vatican is my biggest surprise however.

It is not just the Vatican or the Roman / Latin Church. Crossed keys (the keys of heaven) are used to denote St Peter across most Christian faiths. For example, Leiden in the Netherlands has them on its flag, due to their large church dedicated to St Peter. They are dotted around York too, as York Minster is devoted to St Peter, same in many English cities like Exeter, Winchester, Gloucester . We also have a lot of pubs called The Cross Keys, and they are nearly always found near a church dedicated to St Peter.

But the origin is the same - the keys of heaven, so it is strange that LEGO are using them given the link with religion.

5 hours ago, Blakstone said:

Could the shield be an one off such as the Lancaster Square minifig with the UK flag under his suit jacket?

That would be Leicester Square (hence the Lester minifigure), not Lancaster Square.

On 6/27/2019 at 9:14 PM, MAB said:

It is not just the Vatican or the Roman / Latin Church. Crossed keys (the keys of heaven) are used to denote St Peter across most Christian faiths. For example, Leiden in the Netherlands has them on its flag, due to their large church dedicated to St Peter. They are dotted around York too, as York Minster is devoted to St Peter, same in many English cities like Exeter, Winchester, Gloucester . We also have a lot of pubs called The Cross Keys, and they are nearly always found near a church dedicated to St Peter.

Interesting for sure.

The main reason I focused on the Vatican / Richard 1, Keys/Lions link was mostly because of the Crusades.

Then I found the red/blue blocked shield widely used within the history of the Great Britain/United Kingdom.

But now I see Leiden has a Lion and Keys within the same picture.

85px-Leiden_wapen.svg.png

Coat of Arms of the Netherlands also uses a Lion (Rampant) :

220px-Royal_coat_of_arms_of_the_Netherla

I know I could probably find way more Lions but I don't want to move too far away from this Forum Thread subject, and that one shield thus far is just a one-off as far as we know. 

Edited by TeriXeri

15 hours ago, Rockstaremcee said:

Build-a-Minifigure - Mall Of America - July 5, 2019   Signs of a New Castle line?

New Castle body!!!!

Build-a-Minifigure - Mall Of America - July 5, 2019   Signs of a New Castle line?

Note the arm printing.

Cut off shorts and mermaid bodies too!

From my post in the Build a Minifigure thread

I was excited thinking this was another [hopeful] sign of forth coming castle sets, until @K_Tiger enlightened me this was the CMF S.15 Frightening Knight outfit. :/

Edited by Rockstaremcee
clarification

With all the stuff on B&P that are out of stock especially castle related and how well all the castle stuff sells on the build a minifig hopefully lego is seeing this and has some upcoming sets planned.  It would be great to see something by 2020.  

I do hope actual future Castle sets and not just CMF/BAM, how great as it can be for people with easy access to both, I don't like those "limited" releases. (with aftermarket raised prices)

I'd rather see actual Castle builds, and sets with horses etc.

Ideally following the "modular" trend of Harry Potter, or 2019 City Space : basicly more of an 80s style Castle with wall sections, towers, inn and blacksmith etc. that can connect to the main Castle sets.

Knighton Castle and Lava Lair were the last 2 big "castles", to me, both great sets in size/value , and easily shows the designers still have what it takes to design nice buildings without going overboard on parts.

Fortrex had some nice connectivity to 1-2 Libary sets and also still had the concept of opening up like Yellow Castle and some later variants to make a wider straight-wall shaped gate.

(I don't have the 2013 castles or earlier 2000s sets so cannot directly comment on those in person)

Overall I wouldn't mind going back to a more building focused traditional Castle line, either historic humans, or in-house fantasy. Hinged or open back would be nice as well, if it adds to variations/playability or to save parts(and cost)

Edited by TeriXeri

29 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Ideally following the "modular" trend of Harry Potter, or 2019 City Space : basicly more of an 80s style Castle with wall sections, towers, inn and blacksmith etc. that can connect to the main Castle sets.

Truthfully, I wouldn't be surprised to see this, seeing as the 2013 Castle sets also dabbled in this somewhat with the Gatehouse Raid set that could combine with the main castle.

Adding to this, I think something I would like to see moving forward is more castles that have Technic pins/axles to expand them, but also hinges (similar to Black Monarch's Castle back in the day, or the Fortrex as you mentioned). After all, one of the biggest advantages of the shift we've seen towards smaller plates rather than full-size or raised baseplates is that it allows sets to break free of a rectangular grid layout.

While not necessary, I also think it would be impressive if a future LEGO castle had modularity on a vertical level rather than just horizontal — similar to how many Creator 3-in-1, City, and Friends buildings (as well as classic Harry Potter buildings) could be stacked in different vertical layouts.

1 hour ago, Aanchir said:

Truthfully, I wouldn't be surprised to see this, seeing as the 2013 Castle sets also dabbled in this somewhat with the Gatehouse Raid set that could combine with the main castle.

Adding to this, I think something I would like to see moving forward is more castles that have Technic pins/axles to expand them, but also hinges (similar to Black Monarch's Castle back in the day, or the Fortrex as you mentioned). After all, one of the biggest advantages of the shift we've seen towards smaller plates rather than full-size or raised baseplates is that it allows sets to break free of a rectangular grid layout.

While not necessary, I also think it would be impressive if a future LEGO castle had modularity on a vertical level rather than just horizontal — similar to how many Creator 3-in-1, City, and Friends buildings (as well as classic Harry Potter buildings) could be stacked in different vertical layouts.

I feel like Vladek's Fortress is one of the last sets to have hinges, although I could be mistaken. Otherwise, it just seems like it's been Technic pins. Vertical modulairity would be great, and I can really see it being used with pre-fab baseplates like we used to get. Of course it would look great with the trend they've been doing recently with the smaller plates.

3 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Overall I wouldn't mind going back to a more building focused traditional Castle line, either historic humans, or in-house fantasy.

Yeah, that's ll be lovely. There's so much space to explore in European history and folklore, from Greece to Vikings, from Robin Hood to Wilhelm Tell, from Ural to Iceland. It'll be nice if tlg brought some historically inspire sets.

2 hours ago, KotZ said:

I feel like Vladek's Fortress is one of the last sets to have hinges, although I could be mistaken. 

Fortrex hinged in the more traditional sense (like yellow castle/black falcon's etc), Knighton Castle could open up from the front to have better hand access the courtyard.

But I don't want to get into the endless debate of Nexo Knights being a Castle theme, for me it is, because it was the theme that got me back into LEGO since 2000, so it's my only Castle theme that's not 90s or earlier.

If people don't consider it a Castle theme, that's an okay opinion too, as it's surely uses some very different parts and color schemes.

Either way, looking at the 2010 and 2013 castles with technic pins , that could work for me as well, if they sold like 1 main castle, but also seperate compatible sections that'd be great.

Vertical modules could also work if designed properly without simplifying the look too much.

And I'd also prefer if they keep the largest monsters/siege vehicles into their own sets as well.

If anything, excluding Nexo Knights, Trolls Mountain Fortress (2009) looks be the last large Castle set to have large multi-hinged walls. (2012 Kingdoms Joust also had 2 smaller hinged walls). 

Even with the use of burps and panels it looks like a fun set, bigfigs aren't really my focus point however, I think a brick-built monster could be great as well if they go Fantasy again.

But I am not going back to purchasing older (sealed) sets but looking forward.

7097-0000-xx-33-4.jpg

Edited by TeriXeri