BrickJagger

Future Castle Sets?

True, ture, the more articulation, the more chances for minifig to break/wear off.
Btw, I'm used to the minifigs after using them for 30+ years, it's just the way lego triad of minifig-horse-saddle works that drives me mad. :wacko:
And same goes for weapons, at least some of them. Damien sword would be the best, as it has realistic shape and reasonable size, and the Halberd+Spear could be made like the Elaborate Spear except this time without a bending top nad genrally less clumsy.

18 hours ago, Aine said:

True, ture, the more articulation, the more chances for minifig to break/wear off.
Btw, I'm used to the minifigs after using them for 30+ years, it's just the way lego triad of minifig-horse-saddle works that drives me mad. :wacko:
And same goes for weapons, at least some of them. Damien sword would be the best, as it has realistic shape and reasonable size, and the Halberd+Spear could be made like the Elaborate Spear except this time without a bending top nad genrally less clumsy.

I know I'm 40 and still love building and creating new figs.  The new Ninjago weapons look nice can't wait to get my hands on those.  I do like the machete in the city line.  I guess I'm just used to the horse fig thing growing up with all those great sets from the eighties.  I have most of the sets from the eighties and nineties still.  Ah good times.   

I also like the minifigs, and I also like the horses. I think that I'll prove it in the coming week... :wink:
And of course the 80's set are the thing: later they became a bit clogged and the figs got too many details. But even those are nice, of course, and if I'd growing up in the new millenium, I'd surely love the new stuff.

Speaking of future castle sets, I'd love to see the chainmail or at least scale armour print similar to the Black Knights of old. No need to pass all the way down to the legs, just make it clean, and I'd be happy.
Geez, if there'd be a remake line! They really missed this in 2014. And while 2019 year is 35th anniversary of the modern Castle, I doubt that we'll see anything before 2024. But man, I'd be happy with some nostalgia stuff, maybe a bit of a new touch, but otherwise a real 80's party!

I doubt horses will be redesigned any time soon as they were last updated with the Lord of the Rings sets.

My ideal would be revisiting Kingdoms but they would certainly bring some more of the 80s factions into that esthetic. I would prefer most soldiers not have a faction emblem on their torsos. There has been some great chainmail prints in the CMF line.

On horses: Yeah, there will be no change in the horses, that would sweep away 35 years of lego design. I need to fall in love with the old ones.
Kingdoms revisited: I would welcome both remake of the old factions, which means heraldry torsos, and also the new generic torsos with a gambeson, scale armour, and mail printings. This would mean, of course, a major Castle line, not a few nostalgic sets.

12 hours ago, Aine said:

I doubt that we'll see anything before 2024. But man, I'd be happy with some nostalgia stuff, maybe a bit of a new touch, but otherwise a real 80's party!

Alright, that's a little too pessimistic :laugh: 

I think 2020 would be the latest date for Castle to come back. Now that Elves is likely gone, the only thing in its way is Harry Potter, and the two have coexisted before on numerous occasions.

5 hours ago, Blakstone said:

My ideal would be revisiting Kingdoms but they would certainly bring some more of the 80s factions into that esthetic. I would prefer most soldiers not have a faction emblem on their torsos. There has been some great chainmail prints in the CMF line.

I agree.  A revisiting of Kingdoms would be great.  They could even bring a little Fantasy into it.  And yes to generic torsos without the emblem!

24 minutes ago, BrickJagger said:

Alright, that's a little too pessimistic :laugh: 

I think 2020 would be the latest date for Castle to come back. Now that Elves is likely gone, the only thing in its way is Harry Potter, and the two have coexisted before on numerous occasions.

I want to believe this to be true.

It's a real pity that lego didn't use the 40th anniversary of The Yellow Castle for some truly epic celebration. So yeah, maybe 2020, after the ground will be ready due to Elves departure.

On 8/10/2018 at 1:18 AM, Aine said:

It's a real pity that lego didn't use the 40th anniversary of The Yellow Castle for some truly epic celebration. So yeah, maybe 2020, after the ground will be ready due to Elves departure.

I had hoped they would rerelease it. No such luck.

Just started watching “The Dragon Prince” on Netflix and really enjoying it so far. Good fun medieval fantasy, good character design, and well-written too (Aaron Ehasz and Giancarlo Volpe, who both worked on Avatar: The Last Airbender, are working on this show, as is Villads Spangsberg, who worked extensively on LEGO Elves). I kind of doubt LEGO would make sets of it unless somebody managed to create a good enough and popular enough Ideas project (they’ve never made sets based on a Netflix series, and it took Ideas to even convince them video game based sets were a viable option — the higher-ups at LEGO can be pretty resistant to change). But I encourage y’all to give it a look in case it turns out to be a good source of inspiration for MOCs!

Just now, Digger of Bricks said:

Here are the main details: Bricklink - AFOL Designer Program

I get the gist but it's a little unclear. Basically we have to pledge a certain amount of money if we want to buy the set, and if enough people pledge it goes into production? If that's the case, sign me up :excited:

Just now, BrickJagger said:

Basically we have to pledge a certain amount of money if we want to buy the set, and if enough people pledge it goes into production?

Yeah, that's pretty much the gist of it. The thing is though, I believe these sets will only be using preexisting part inventory.

40 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Hey, check out one of Bricklink's sixteen finalists for their AFOL Designer Program crowdfunding project! :classic:

Bricklink - Löwenstein Castle by Raziel Regulus

Wow, very cute! I actually really like the minimalistic texture it has going on—combined with the clean rounded shapes of the turrets and the tasteful color variation it feels almost like something out of a video game!

Just now, Lyichir said:

Wow, very cute! I actually really like the minimalistic texture it has going on—combined with the clean rounded shapes of the turrets and the tasteful color variation it feels almost like something out of a video game!

To me, it aesthetically resembles a Creator Three-In-One set, if it were medieval-themed that is! :classic:

Epic! I love the round towers and the creative layout! It manages to feel truly fresh and innovative without being oversized or overwrought with fiddly or gratuitous detail. It's also got a great color palette with a nice balance of warm colors, cool colors, and neutral colors. It's the kind of MOC that makes me feel like its designer could have a future as an official set designer for the LEGO Group if they decided they wanted to pursue it!

It also really embraces the idea of the castle as a home, one of the things that I think has unfortunately been downplayed in many previous Castle sets and themes. It feels very authentic to the sense of being "lived in" and every part of it having its own purpose, like I'd read about in books about castles as a child (like David Macaulay's "Castle").

Congrats to the builder for their gorgeous model, and I hope it does get approved! It will certainly be a great proof of the AFOL Designer Program's potential!

On 1/23/2019 at 12:36 AM, x105Black said:

That's awesome.  It needs a goat, but it's fantastic.

Yeah I’d like some goats too.

There were also some other historic looking sets that may be of interest.

895994.jpg

888631.jpg

It will be interesting to see what Bricklink charges for these. Plus of course EU buyers will be hit with VAT and a handling fee for collecting the VAT, so I imagine they will be very expensive to import.

So I recently purchased Benny's Space Squad.  I'm just here to report the disappointment that my x105 visor did not clip onto the remade old-style helmets.  It just doesn't quite fit.

I would really love to see them release a remade x105 visor...