BrickJagger

Future Castle Sets?

6 hours ago, Mr. President said:

Definitely. There's a lot of potential for packs of this type for Castle themes: not just weapons, but tools, magic items for wizards and alchemists, &c. I'd love superhero-themed packs, too - personally, I keep a close count of my Batarangs and dynamite bundles, but they're easy to misplace and we often need more!

We could even potentially see Sci-Fi weapon packs and/or Pirate packs from this line, but I don't know if we'd see such polybags in the absence of proper themes for those. :shrug_confused:

Even if specifically Castle-themed ones never materialize, some of these are applicable to any theme: the foliage, the food, and even the lamppost bag has some surprising and useful parts, including the new Hagrid lantern.

Hopefully these show up stateside eventually, and with a few specialized theme-specific bags for us non-city types.

Edited by rodiziorobs
Lousy auto-correct

The introduction of medium sized posable legs in Harry Potter has me hoping for better dwarves in a future Castle theme.

7 minutes ago, x105Black said:

The introduction of medium sized posable legs in Harry Potter has me hoping for better dwarves in a future Castle theme.

Exactly and possibly other different races like gnomes or other halflings.  There are several new molds in the Harry Potter line that will work well in castle/fantasy moc's.  Notably the creatures and animal moulds.  Also some of the new hairpieces will be nice.  

Just now, zoth33 said:

Exactly and possibly other different races like gnomes or other halflings.  There are several new molds in the Harry Potter line that will work well in castle/fantasy moc's.  Notably the creatures and animal moulds.  Also some of the new hairpieces will be nice.  

Indeed, a lot of great parts for Castle fans.

15 hours ago, x105Black said:

For sure. Those new legs are incredibly useful, I always found the regular short legs to be limiting and impractical. I think that these legs could turn up in a future Castle theme, but probably not next year because if we get anything it'll be human vs. human.

6 hours ago, BrickJagger said:

For sure. Those new legs are incredibly useful, I always found the regular short legs to be limiting and impractical. I think that these legs could turn up in a future Castle theme, but probably not next year because if we get anything it'll be human vs. human.

You may have a point, but we will see.  There are so many great new parts out there like these legs that are just begging to be used in a Castle theme.

I pretty much never use the short legs, so these legs are a huge and welcome change for me.  Now if only they would release them without a print.  I hate modifying LEGO.

45 minutes ago, x105Black said:

You may have a point, but we will see.  There are so many great new parts out there like these legs that are just begging to be used in a Castle theme.

I pretty much never use the short legs, so these legs are a huge and welcome change for me.  Now if only they would release them without a print.  I hate modifying LEGO.

I'm sure they will this is the first we are seeing of them.  Also plenty of different colors will come.  Its just a matter of time.

Rumors said there's a new Space theme in 2019. So I fear that we've to wait for a new Castle theme til 2020.

4 hours ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

Rumors said there's a new Space theme in 2019. So I fear that we've to wait for a new Castle theme til 2020.

Wait a minute, who was saying there was a new Space theme coming next year?! *huh* :oh3:

11 hours ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

Wait what? Where did you hear this? That would be great if it's true.

If Space is truly coming back, that doesn't mean that Castle won't come back next year as well. In 2007 and 2013, new Castle and Space sub themes were released at the same time. :classic:

@Digger of Bricks and @BrickJagger: Some months ago there was that competition on Ideas and then some voting, too, for a small GWP set for 2019 which is Space theme related. So there was speculation about Space (not as a City subtheme!) returning in 2019.

But you're right. I did some searching and well, yes, it doesn't have to say that if Space was returning in 2019 there wouldn't be no chance for a new Castle theme the same year.

Nevertheless I'd be curious about whether we'd see a big Castle Exclusive if Castle returned (independent from when).

I trust @Klaus-Dieter but The LEGO Movie 2 will be already a space theme (at least partially)

And Star Wars IX will come out next year

Having TLM2, Star Wars and a space in theme all in 1 year sounds iffy

4 hours ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

Some months ago there was that competition on Ideas and then some voting, too, for a small GWP set for 2019 which is Space theme related. So there was speculation about Space (not as a City subtheme!) returning in 2019.

Speculation is not rumour though. There is speculation that Castle will also come back after NK has gone.

6 hours ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

Some months ago there was that competition on Ideas and then some voting, too, for a small GWP set for 2019 which is Space theme related. So there was speculation about Space (not as a City subtheme!) returning in 2019.

Ah, of course, the Moments in Space contest. That was a, well, disappointment. :sad:

12 hours ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

@Digger of Bricks and @BrickJagger: Some months ago there was that competition on Ideas and then some voting, too, for a small GWP set for 2019 which is Space theme related. So there was speculation about Space (not as a City subtheme!) returning in 2019.

But you're right. I did some searching and well, yes, it doesn't have to say that if Space was returning in 2019 there wouldn't be no chance for a new Castle theme the same year.

Nevertheless I'd be curious about whether we'd see a big Castle Exclusive if Castle returned (independent from when).

Ah okay, thanks for the clarification. Although we're getting Overwatch, TLM2 and possibly a new Big Bang theme next year, those will all be January releases, while a Castle theme would come out in the summer. If it's coming then we probably won't hear anything until the fall.

On 7/9/2018 at 1:20 AM, Klaus-Dieter said:

I somewhat doubt we'd see one the same year a new castle theme launched. Judging from sets like Temple of Airjitzu, Imperial Flagship, Medieval Market Village, and Kingdoms Joust, it's more typical for non-licensed exclusives to come out a year or more after the corresponding theme launches. I suppose, though, that there is an exception in the Haunted House, which came out the same year as the Monster Fighters theme, so there's no reason that couldn't happen again.

You're right, @Aanchir, since it's already some years ago that the last exclusive Castle set launched, I didn't remember this. But nevertheless I hope that there'll be a huge exclusive Castle set - even if not in the first year of a new Castle line.

There's been some talk today about Elves being discontinued by the end of the year. Is it possible that Lego is clearing space for a new Castle theme? :moar:

I would love a new weapons, armour, and accessories, more specifically:

- new sword: more realistic than the old Shortsword, less unwieldy than Greatsword, less fancy than Sting and more useful for horsemen than Gladius.
- new halberd, axe, and pike with a brown staff and grey head molded in one piece; think of Elaborate Spear but without its bending of the spearhead (which should be also thinner, just like the old school Pike was).
- new helmet with nasal guard, but without the clumsy neck protector. A classic "bullet" helmet comes to mind, but I'd love for it to not break under the chin too easily.
- new generic torso with a true chainmail print (not the 80's scale armour), and maybe even a subset printed with a Black Knights' heraldry (maybe in some kind of nostalgia set similar to MMV).
- a saddle with one clip torn 90° to have a possibility of using it for any kind of saddlebags, which leads us to...
- saddlebags; those could use a mold similar to the old Backpack from the Pirates line, except that they'd be useful for the mounts.

Finally, and this is a big pet peeve of mine - I'm really unsatisfied with the lego horses and especially with the saddle solution. The big gaps in the horses' backs make me cry and the fact that the minifig stands into the horse and not sits on it, drives me crazy. I know why this works like this, but still, there could be a better solution. Maybe a wedge hole that copies the overal shape of the horse back would allow for the minifig to half-sit/half stand, and it could still use all the old hatchings (not the saddle or bardings, though).

On 8/4/2018 at 10:41 PM, BrickJagger said:

There's been some talk today about Elves being discontinued by the end of the year. Is it possible that Lego is clearing space for a new Castle theme? :moar:

One can dream!

21 hours ago, Aine said:

Finally, and this is a big pet peeve of mine - I'm really unsatisfied with the lego horses and especially with the saddle solution. The big gaps in the horses' backs make me cry and the fact that the minifig stands into the horse and not sits on it, drives me crazy. I know why this works like this, but still, there could be a better solution. Maybe a wedge hole that copies the overal shape of the horse back would allow for the minifig to half-sit/half stand, and it could still use all the old hatchings (not the saddle or bardings, though).

To be honest, I'd just appreciate them being kept as they are.  In fact, I'm a little bummed the big cats like the Tiger and Panther don't have saddle gaps...  People look so awkward sitting on top of them.

Well, that wasn't what I meant, but it's kinda hard for me to describe the idea without pictures. It's also moot point due to gorillion of reasons, one of them being that nobody in LEGO cares about my ramblings... :laugh:
A wedge-like cut-out (2x2 studs top, 1x2 studs bottom) would make a 45° angle so that the figure could sit with legs in 135° angle against the chest, looking bit more naturally, than a fig that sunk deep into the horse's intestines. But it's pointless, this change won't happen, and it's not important. The weapons would make me happy, as I find each sword weird in its particular way, and the spears and halberds are also odd.

Edited by Aine

6 hours ago, Aine said:

Well, that wasn't what I meant, but it's kinda hard for me to describe the idea without pictures. It's also moot point due to gorillion of reasons, one of them being that nobody in LEGO cares about my ramblings... :laugh:
A wedge-like cut-out (2x2 studs top, 1x2 studs bottom) would make a 45° angle so that the figure could sit with legs in 135° angle against the chest, looking bit more naturally, than a fig that sunk deep into the horse's intestines. But it's pointless, this change won't happen, and it's not important. The weapons would make me happy, as I find each sword weird in its particular way, and the spears and halberds are also odd.

When you ride a horse your legs go off to the sides.  But if you look at someone riding a horse from the side it does look like their legs are in the horse if you get my meaning.  So the way they do it doesn't bother me.  It does look weird when you put figs on certain animals like the big cats.  Figs look good on dinosaurs if there is a saddle or seat of some sort.  I guess it doesn't bother me because that's the way they would look if they were riding a horse anyway.  

The legs go down, but they are bent in knees, not completely vertical. The whole issue is because of the minifigs' static hips and nonexistant knees, and taht's a reason why a 2cm high figure doesn't have a freedom of movement like a real human; it's a toy, not an anatomical model.
But ok, enough on this topic, it's far from important, and it's got little to do with potential future castle releases.
Thanks for your replies, cheers!

Edited by Aine

18 hours ago, Aine said:

The legs go down, but they are bent in knees, not completely vertical. The whole issue is because of the minifigs' static hips and nonexistant knees, and taht's a reason why a 2cm high figure doesn't have a freedom of movement like a real human; it's a toy, not an anatomical model.
But ok, enough on this topic, it's far from important, and it's got little to do with potential future castle releases.
Thanks for your replies, cheers!

I get what you are saying. I just thought it a little odd considering they've been that way for so long and the more articulation a minifig has like the Kreons makes them really hard to pose sometimes and the joints get really sloppy.  Anyways I'm hoping lego does sets based off the castle map from Overwatch.  The name of the map eludes me at the moment.  And I'm really hoping they do a Reaper fig that would be excellent for fantasy based characters.  Honzo would also be a great fig for castle fantasy.  It will be interesting to see what they make.  Also I'm kinda bummed if Elves is ending so many useful parts and colors for MOC's.  Although if it is replaced by a new castle theme that would be awesome.