BrickJagger

Future Castle Sets?

8 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Typically posters closely follow behind teasers/trailers within the same week, so I'm hopefully expecting to see our first teaser for the sequel attached to Solo, which is releasing this weekend. :purrr:

Well, given the "Space Action Musical" precedent hinted for this one, I'm expecting even less of a presence for the Classic Castle theme compared to the first movie, which strangely wasn't much to begin with then anyway. :look:

I'm just thinking that there has to be some way for them to continue to Castle line. On one hand I hope you're right, because if there are no Castle sets in TLM2, it's more likely that there will be a fully-fledged Castle theme out next year. Then again, Harry Potter exists, but that didn't stop it at all in the past. 

4 minutes ago, BrickJagger said:

I'm just thinking that there has to be some way for them to continue to Castle line. 

Well, there's always the possibility that "Space" isn't what we're immediately figuring it to be. As I've said before elsewhere, "Space" may be used more abstractly given the destination the sequel's main characters are said to be heading, and that is up out from the basement and up into the upper floor of Finn's house to his sister's room. To a minifigure, that would be equivalent to traveling into "Space" for us, in terms of their cosmology. :shrug_oh_well:

9 hours ago, BrickJagger said:

I'm just thinking that there has to be some way for them to continue to Castle line. On one hand I hope you're right, because if there are no Castle sets in TLM2, it's more likely that there will be a fully-fledged Castle theme out next year. Then again, Harry Potter exists, but that didn't stop it at all in the past. 

2013 existed on shelves next to Tolkien and LEGO Movie sets.

13 hours ago, x105Black said:

2013 existed on shelves next to Tolkien and LEGO Movie sets.

Well there was only one LEGO Movie set that was really castle themed.  That was thematically part of the 2013 line too.

I think everyone keeps forgetting any new Castle theme wouldn't just be "competing" with Harry Potter but also things like Elves and Minecraft. There is a lot of medieval fantasy overlap with all three of those themes combined.  I really hope I am wrong about that.

There is also this interesting development. Lego is going to be making sets based on Blizzard's game Overwatch.  It doesn't take much imagination to think that could potentially lead to a Warcraft theme.  It certainly wouldn't be the first time Lego acquired a license that Mega Bloks had previously.

1 hour ago, Lord Insanity said:

I think everyone keeps forgetting any new Castle theme wouldn't just be "competing" with Harry Potter but also things like Elves and Minecraft. There is a lot of medieval fantasy overlap with all three of those themes combined.  I really hope I am wrong about that.

Minecraft is hardly a castle theme. Even if it were, in 2011-12 Castle was competing with Harry Potter, LOTR, The Hobbit and Monster Fighters. It's been through worse. 

18 hours ago, Lord Insanity said:

Lego is going to be making sets based on Blizzard's game Overwatch.  It doesn't take much imagination to think that could potentially lead to a Warcraft theme. 

Nabii has also said that they are interested in the future of Overwatch itself. So it may not be a stepping stone to WoW.

I really hope it isn't a stepping stone to WOW.  While I agree that WOW could bring in some nice parts and minifigures, there are a lot of things that would be very specific (I'm not into the elves with long ears and eyebrows), and it would likely be at the expense of a Castle theme.

On 5/22/2018 at 10:53 PM, BrickJagger said:

Minecraft is hardly a castle theme. Even if it were, in 2011-12 Castle was competing with Harry Potter, LOTR, The Hobbit and Monster Fighters. It's been through worse. 

I would argue the Minecraft theme has an abundance of sets that Castle AFOLs would love in a non-Minecraft form.  Ignoring the stylized nature of them they have the best medieval compatible farm sets Lego has ever released.  My 6 and 9 year olds are constantly adding Minecraft zombies and creepers to my troll/orc army too.  The heroes all use swords, axes, and armor.  There is way more overlap there than AFOLs typically want to admit.

5 hours ago, Lord Insanity said:

I would argue the Minecraft theme has an abundance of sets that Castle AFOLs would love in a non-Minecraft form.  Ignoring the stylized nature of them they have the best medieval compatible farm sets Lego has ever released.  My 6 and 9 year olds are constantly adding Minecraft zombies and creepers to my troll/orc army too.  The heroes all use swords, axes, and armor.  There is way more overlap there than AFOLs typically want to admit.

I don't find the minecraft weapons at all useful as they are pixelated. Same with many of the prints on parts. Similarly, none of the animals are any more useful than those from Friends sets.

Minecraft sets really are great for filler parts for MOCs. I remember the early days of Lego Coosuu (now Ideas) when FOLs kept suggesting bricks buckets with parts geared towards large castle building. Some of those weapons are okay for fantasy building. If a few of those animal head parts come in the right colors, remove the prints and they could enhance the architecture of, and landscape around, your castles. The bodies of those tall thin things (don't recall the name) could also work in that capacity. I've done some messing around with them in LDD. I like to get creative with my parts usage.

3 hours ago, gedren_y said:

The bodies of those tall thin things (don't recall the name) could also work in that capacity.

Endermen.  And yes, I agree.  There are some interesting parts in the Minecraft theme.

Just saw this MOC and was hit by a major wave of nostalgia. Gender diversity isn't something that's been brought up a lot in this topic I don't think, and I hesitate a bit to bring it up because I know bringing up gender issues on the internet often descends into shouting matches with slow-witted trolls (and not the Tolkien kind), but it's kind of a bummer that Macy and Queen Halbert from Nexo Knights have been the only female knights since Princess Storm 18 years ago, and that Macy fills more or less the same "action girl/reluctant princess" archetype. Nowadays I think LEGO — or any storyteller, really — should be able to do so much better at delivering more varied female characters. It'd be awesome if the next Castle theme included some awesome ladies like Carey, Killian, and Lup from the D&D podcast The Adventure Zone, or for that matter like so many of the awesome characters LEGO Elves has managed to deliver.

18 hours ago, Aanchir said:

but it's kind of a bummer that Macy and Queen Halbert from Nexo Knights have been the only female knights since Princess Storm 18 years ago, and that Macy fills more or less the same "action girl/reluctant princess" archetype

They may not strictly be knights, but there have been some pretty decent historical style female warrior or warrior-like characters in the CMF

8831-13.jpg?20120403070271000-15.jpg?20121204070671001-4.jpg?20130323050971007-5.jpg?20140908102571018-15.jpg?201704141043

On 24/5/2018 at 11:12 PM, Aanchir said:

Just saw this MOC and was hit by a major wave of nostalgia. Gender diversity isn't something that's been brought up a lot in this topic I don't think, and I hesitate a bit to bring it up because I know bringing up gender issues on the internet often descends into shouting matches with slow-witted trolls (and not the Tolkien kind), but it's kind of a bummer that Macy and Queen Halbert from Nexo Knights have been the only female knights since Princess Storm 18 years ago, and that Macy fills more or less the same "action girl/reluctant princess" archetype. Nowadays I think LEGO — or any storyteller, really — should be able to do so much better at delivering more varied female characters. It'd be awesome if the next Castle theme included some awesome ladies like Carey, Killian, and Lup from the D&D podcast The Adventure Zone, or for that matter like so many of the awesome characters LEGO Elves has managed to deliver.

Well, maybe since you already stated somewhere else in this forum, you are somewhat sensible to this topic.
Actually, there aren't many female knights or pirates because there haven't actually been many women doing such things in human history.
Which may be rather noble on women's behalf. Having too much interesting in wounding or killing other people is not a very good thing, IMHO.
Then, of course, women weren't even allowed to do such stuff and that is a capital shame. Only for a question of rights. Women should be allowed to do anything a man can do. I consider the fact itself that not many women (or, no woman) were knights a good thing for women.

Such said, you can pick women heads and put them on generic castle torsoes and you did a perfect woman warrior.

Furthermore, TLC has usually plaid some form of reverse sexism IMHO,

Some examples: until some years ago, robbers and thieves were only males, as if women were only good people.
Still, we had Women of NASA, or Research Lab.
Or again, when you have a female scientist in CMF, she's a brilliant researcher (Series 11) while the male scientist... is a mad scientist (series 4, then series 14).
Have you ever seen a female crazy scientist in LEGO? None I heard of.

Alas, whatever way you look at it, some pepole will see sexism and some reverse sexism.

Probably both are true in the same time.

2 hours ago, Itaria No Shintaku said:

Alas, whatever way you look at it, some pepole will see sexism and some reverse sexism.

Probably both are true in the same time.

Sexism is sexism in whatever direction it is moving.

Also, it would be great to get more female minifigures in a Castle theme, and especially female knights / warriors.

Women have been warriors throughout history, it is just the patriarchal dominance of western Europe that refused to recognize them, or actively treated them as heretics. The idiocy of 'gender roles', outside of breeding and nursing of young (biology) , is something we should be actively trying to shed from society.

15 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

Women have been warriors throughout history, it is just the patriarchal dominance of western Europe that refused to recognize them, or actively treated them as heretics. The idiocy of 'gender roles', outside of breeding and nursing of young (biology) , is something we should be actively trying to shed from society.

Basis?

3 hours ago, gedren_y said:

I think you need to go back through history again because I don't remember woman warriors being prevalent in ancient Greece, early Asian cultures, Romans, Persians, Egyptians, etc.  And to say the patriarchal dominance of western Europe is an off statement being that this has happened all over the world throughout most of time.

Better get back to Lego soon or it'll all go to megabloks...

The only decent female warrior/knight/ranger etc we got through licences was Tauriel from the Hobbit. The other middle-earth elves had the full-blown pretty dresses

But seriously, apart from in fantasy, is plate (or any) armour form-fitting? I wouldn't have thought so. Just put a female head on it! And back in the (good ol') days when everyone had the same generic face, half of them already were female. Maybe...

6 hours ago, Artanis I said:

The only decent female warrior/knight/ranger etc we got through licences was Tauriel from the Hobbit. The other middle-earth elves had the full-blown pretty dresses

Irina Spalko is in a military uniform, so a warrior scientist. Not castle of course. Then there are quite a few SH females that could be classed as warriors. With licensed themes like Hobbit and LOTR, there are not female warriors in the movies except for Tauriel. I wouldn't want Arwen or Galadriel in armour, I prefer them in the typical dress they wore in the movies. Of course, the one they could have done in armour was Eowyn but they missed that whole scene out. Aside from that, I cannot really think of where we could have got a licensed female warrior in an existing theme.

10 hours ago, gedren_y said:

Women have been warriors throughout history, it is just the patriarchal dominance of western Europe that refused to recognize them, or actively treated them as heretics.

I don't think that is true. For the English, Joan of Arc was a heretic. Not because she was a woman but because she believed she spoke directly with God and not through the church. Plus, she was French which didn't help. Whereas the French (especially now) do not see her as a heretic. Whereas Boudicca (being one of "us") is regarded as a heroine. Probably not to the Romans she was fighting though.

Edited by MAB

There is evidence of female Viking warriors and shield maidens.  That much is true.

However, I prefer Castle to be a little more fantasy based, so the issue of female warriors throughout history is moot in that respect.

30 minutes ago, BrickJagger said:

Looks like the old "accessories" line is coming back as "Lego Xtra". Here's a link for some City packs: https://brickset.com/article/36426/new-polybags-now-in-brand-stores#comments

Due to the fact that there isn't a City logo on the packaging, could we possibly see sets like the for other themes? I'd love a historical poly of some kind.

I saw those and thought the same thing.

31 minutes ago, BrickJagger said:

Due to the fact that there isn't a City logo on the packaging, could we possibly see sets like the for other themes?

Man, I really do hope so! I love themes like this, ones with a broadly encompassing scope that is! :purrr:

1 hour ago, x105Black said:

I saw those and thought the same thing.

Definitely. There's a lot of potential for packs of this type for Castle themes: not just weapons, but tools, magic items for wizards and alchemists, &c. I'd love superhero-themed packs, too - personally, I keep a close count of my Batarangs and dynamite bundles, but they're easy to misplace and we often need more!