BrickJagger

Future Castle Sets?

He's not in the upper levels of management or anything, but a LEGO Nexo Knights designer zusammengebaut.com interviewed at Nuremberg Toy Fair said he believes that

(as in, both exist as themes at the same time, not exist in the same setting or something like that). So maybe the possibility of LEGO Castle returning before LEGO Nexo Knights ends is more realistic than many have given it credit for.

He's not in the upper levels of management or anything, but a LEGO Nexo Knights designer zusammengebaut.com interviewed at Nuremberg Toy Fair said he believes that

(as in, both exist as themes at the same time, not exist in the same setting or something like that). So maybe the possibility of LEGO Castle returning before LEGO Nexo Knights ends is more realistic than many have given it credit for.

IMO this pretty much means that "regular" Castle will be coming back in a year or two. Lego would have told this guy if there won't be any "regular" Castle themes any time soon.

Edited by BrickJagger

I know it's been said, but I would love it if that "coexistence" came in the form of City modular style castle builds. Even if it was one amazing set each year, that would be really cool.

That would be fantastic.

I know it's been said, but I would love it if that "coexistence" came in the form of City modular style castle builds. Even if it was one amazing set each year, that would be really cool.

That would be even better.

Lego seems to be teasing the castle lovers by having hints at castles this year. I mean, we get the Angry birds castle, the castle mixels, and a really cool couple minifigures in the series 15. Please pass the real castle sets this way.

I hope you are right. Otherwise, I might be in a purchasing "dark ages" for a while.

Whatever it is, I hope we get some modular builds, so we could connect together the different buildings, and tie it together with some scenery. I've actually started work on making a modular standard for Lego D&D, but that'd likely be a whole different beast than anything that Lego releases .I'm getting a bit annoyed at all the low effort vignette sets lately, but luckily Nexo Knights has avoided that trend. Let's hope the same happens for future Castle, I'd love to see some buildings outside the normal battle packs, castle, and villain lair.

^ Unfortunately large, detailed buildings just aren't going to sell as well as playable sets that "Swoosh" and shoot things. Since Nexo Knights is a clear example of the latter, there's a higher chance of a Castle-themed modular series, but don't be surprised if they just randomly bring Castle back for a wave or two in 2018 for the 40th anniversary.

Remember, until NK is over "regular" Castle is in the same boat as Pirates. <-- Get it? :poke:

^ Unfortunately large, detailed buildings just aren't going to sell as well as playable sets that "Swoosh" and shoot things. Since Nexo Knights is a clear example of the latter, there's a higher chance of a Castle-themed modular series, but don't be surprised if they just randomly bring Castle back for a wave or two in 2018 for the 40th anniversary.

Remember, until NK is over "regular" Castle is in the same boat as Pirates. <-- Get it? :poke:

I hadn't thought about the Castle 40th anniversary! That'd indeed be a good time to release either a new wave of Castle sets or a big AFOL-targeted exclusive.

My brother also mentioned an article to me recently saying there's apparently a lot of Robin Hood inspired stuff coming out soon in terms of TV and movies, so maybe the ideal time for a Forestmen reboot might be approaching sooner than I'd expected (I haven't looked over that article myself to see how much of that Robin Hood stuff is family-friendly/all-ages media but it still seems like if said movies/TV shows do well it could be the start of a trend). LEGO listens to trends. Development of Ninjago started in response to an uptick in ninja-related media, after all.

Edited by Aanchir

I'm thinking we could get maybe some buildings that connect together, like D&D scenery or the Heroica game boards. That'd be really cool. It doesn't even have to be full sized detailed builds, facades with a tiny bit of scenery and a figure or two would be great.

Wasn't there a rumor a few years back that Lego was going to re-release some older sets in a sort of "classics" line? I too hope castle comes back soon.

There was something that actually happened more than ten years back, the "Legends" line... but that was a failure, and everything I've heard suggests Lego has no intention of repeating that. Rereleasing older sets is not a recipe for success.

Castle sets in particular would not be easy to remake since not only have colors changed (such as the old grays and brown), but a huge number of the older molds have been replaced or retired (including all raised baseplates and most castle wall elements). The result is that any "rerelease" would be hugely inauthentic, which would only further decrease demand for those sets.

Maybe a better idea would be to make "reboots" of some sets.

For example, if they chose the most iconic or favorite sets out of the classic themes (Castle, Space, Pirates...) and made revamped UCS versions of them.

That's something I'd definitely be interested in.

For example, if they chose the most iconic or favorite sets out of the classic themes (Castle, Space, Pirates...) and made revamped UCS versions of them.

MMMmmmmm... UCS Black Seas Barracuda....

There's certainly some precedent for revamping/rebooting iconic classics:

16954382172_f1c481fc50.jpg

For Castle, it'd be great to see updated versions of Forestmen, Wolf Pack, or some new non-Lion or non-Dragon faction. The Black Falcon knight in Kingdoms Joust was such a tease!

Edited by samtung

For Castle, it'd be great to see updated versions of Forestmen, Wolf Pack, or some new non-Lion or non-Dragon faction. The Black Falcon knight in Kingdoms Joust was such a tease!

I agree 100%.

I would be down for some Dragon Masters updates. There might be some room for that next year since Elves will presumably have wrapped up its dragon-focused story arc by then. But if they decide to do re-imaginings of classic themes for the anniversary, the older factions like Forestmen and Black Falcons probably ought to take priority over my own childhood favorites like Dragon Masters and Royal Knights.

I would be down for some Dragon Masters updates. There might be some room for that next year since Elves will presumably have wrapped up its dragon-focused story arc by then. But if they decide to do re-imaginings of classic themes for the anniversary, the older factions like Forestmen and Black Falcons probably ought to take priority over my own childhood favorites like Dragon Masters and Royal Knights.

At this point, I'd be down for any "normal" castle Lego were to release, meaning something that's not incredibly blocky or mounted on tank treads. A revamped Forestmen, Black Falcons, or other classic heraldry would easily qualify.

To be honest, I was thinking that a remake / update of the classic 1978 Castle set would be a great idea. Lots of minifigures with different heraldry, horses, armor, and a nice castle. That would be cool to see.

It'd be cool to see a high fantasy story focused take on the next Castle theme, almost like Bionicle or old school Dungeons and Dragons. Maybe reintroduce some old factions like Forestmen and Dragon Masters too. But ultimately all I care about is that we get some decent castles, buildings, and siege engines.

It'd be cool to see a high fantasy story focused take on the next Castle theme, almost like Bionicle or old school Dungeons and Dragons. Maybe reintroduce some old factions like Forestmen and Dragon Masters too. But ultimately all I care about is that we get some decent castles, buildings, and siege engines.

I'm more into the buildings, personally. I find that Castle waves tend to get bogged down by siege engines. In Castle 2013, the 2 biggest sets used quite a bit of their piece counts on them.

I would also like to see a reboot of classic forestmen or the original lego castle from 1978. It is long over due. I hadn't thought about the 40th anniversary either but that would be great timing. I personally don't think I can wait that long... :laugh:

I have been trying to expand my existing army of Kingdoms troops (2010) and Crownies/dragon knights from the 2013 line. Much to my dismay the stocks have dried up on BnP. Some of the most basic heads from the City line have also dried up too. I'm not sure what is happening with BnP other than we have hit a point where stocks aren't being produced. As of right now, hold onto those precious Castle figs as that is likely all you may have. :ugh:

I really hope TLG gives us a massive castle theme that reboots many of the moulds/prints that we have come to enjoy. I saw the interview with the designer as well, although he does state that the two themes could co-exist I think he is just stating his opinion of it rather than something definitive. I would be happy if later this year or early next they prove us wrong and have a Castle theme in the wings being worked on.

I have been trying to expand my existing army of Kingdoms troops (2010) and Crownies/dragon knights from the 2013 line. Much to my dismay the stocks have dried up on BnP. Some of the most basic heads from the City line have also dried up too. I'm not sure what is happening with BnP other than we have hit a point where stocks aren't being produced. As of right now, hold onto those precious Castle figs as that is likely all you may have. :ugh:

There are plenty of Castle 2013 parts available on bricklink for reasonable prices so your final sentence is quite exaggerated.

There are plenty of Castle 2013 parts available on bricklink for reasonable prices so your final sentence is quite exaggerated.

And this also implies that people liked the 2013 Castle line. Who are we kidding? When the set pictures came out the people here ripped the them to shreds and then abandoned thread.

Now that NK is out, people *here* hate it and talk about the "Good old days" :ugh: , which includes Castle 2013, and say how much better it is.

The same thing happened on this forum for themes we consider "Classics" today, such as Kingdoms and Fantasy Era.

By Fantasy Era's third year people who talking about how it was a poor man's Lotr and couldn't wait for it to end. Ironically, the same people weren't satisfied with Lotr. :wacko:

Kingdoms was referred to as "Generic" and "Boring", and suddenly people were clamoring for Fantasy Era to come back.

I'm ranting here to prove to everyone that the current opinions of people regarding themes should be taken with a grain of salt until years after the theme ends. The Historic themes forum as probably the biggest offender in this category. :wink: